watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Arsenal.

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, December 06, 2019, 04:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

After years and years of Wenger getting them into the Top 6, it seems a long way off for them this year. I wonder how the "Wenger Out" brigade are starting to feel now.
It goes to show, that knee jerk sackings isnt always right.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Sting of the North

Regardless of the opinion on whether or not it was correct to replace Wenger, wasn't this kind of the opposite of knee jerking? There were loud voices and comparatively bad results for years before they turned the page. Arsenal were seemingly moving in the wrong direction for several seasons, but they still stood by Wenger.

MikeW

Should have moved him upstairs as DoF about 5 years ago and entrusted a track suit coach (like Arteta - not necessarily him - to get on with the work on the pitch.  Wenger could have watched and advised.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 06, 2019, 04:38:18 PM
Regardless of the opinion on whether or not it was correct to replace Wenger, wasn't this kind of the opposite of knee jerking? There were loud voices and comparatively bad results for years before they turned the page. Arsenal were seemingly moving in the wrong direction for several seasons, but they still stood by Wenger.

Yes, Very much agree.
For many years they have gone for too many luxury players without ever spending significantly on top rated defenders.
The decision to give Ozill another contract at £300k a week a couple of years ago was criminal, they cannot even give him away now (mostly because of the wages but not exclusively).

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Ok knee jerk was a poor choice of words.
My view is, it's sometimes not that wise to get rid of someone hoping itll fix the rot. Same with man united, when they lost SAF, the rot showed because he wasnt there to plaster over the cracks. Same with Wenger. He held that club together and now it shows.
I would love to see us give parker a good few years. Really make his mark on the team and the club as a whole. But it's such a results based job, one lengthy run of poor results, and he will be replaced by someone. That someone then has to start from scratch and cover the cracks.

What I'm saying, in a very long winded way is, let's just get behind Scott, regardless of results. Hes still repairing a lot of damage done by previous regimes. Someone more "proven" doesn't mean better.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!