watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Glass still half full

Started by Southcoastffc, December 08, 2019, 11:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

FFC1987

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 08, 2019, 11:16:25 AM
12 points out of 15 = good.

After said points, has the gap for top 2 decreased at all?

Whitesideup

Or zero from your last home game against a rival now on the same points as us = bad.

But I get your post.

jarv

Still in 3rd place. That's on the back of a good run which tends to happen at this stage of the season. Always better to be looking down at others rather than those above. 4 points from next 2 games should keep the momentum going. In a good place right now.

Statto

My glass-half-full observations:

Our recent results have indeed been decent and to the extent some said we'd riden our luck in spells, well we had a massive shovel of bad luck served to us yesterday and didn't deserve to lose.

The top two are currently on course for 99 and 104 pts respectively which (and I'm sure MJG will support this) almost certainly isn't going to happen. So really, the table is deceptive when it shows an 8 pt gap. They'll drop points soon and in reality, we're probably only 5-6 pts off a trajectory for the automatics.

I thought this six-game run up to Christmas would be significant and going into it, would have said 12pts was good, 13pts (or more) fantastic. To achieve that we need something like WWD or WWL from the next 3 which isn't impossible. Let's see.

Bassey the warrior

We're in a good place but overly reliant on Mitro going forward. Our attacking movement was far too static on Saturday, we need to increase the fluidity and the wingers need to make better runs so our attack isn't stopped by marking Mitro.

70sPimlico

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on December 08, 2019, 05:43:18 PM
We're in a good place but overly reliant on Mitro going forward. Our attacking movement was far too static on Saturday, we need to increase the fluidity and the wingers need to make better runs so our attack isn't stopped by marking Mitro.
You know, out of all the posts since our one defeat in 5 games that have focused on Onomah & Parker, your little nugget here is something I have been thinking for a while. I don't think I am quite qualified to be certain but I do believe that occasionally taking Mitro off would change our dynamic so much that teams would struggle. I think we have a fantastic selection of front players that are somewhat hindered by the way we play when Mitro is on the pitch.

To be clear, Mitro is so good at what he does that it takes a good team to combat him but every now and then they do. I think a front 3 of a mix of Cav, Abou, Knock or Reid would a better alternative at these times. The Derby game is a good recent example.

toshes mate

No room in my glass for optimism or pessimism since it is filled with the post game reality that we are not playing with the flair needed to be convincing opponents in tough games. We have been fortunate in some games and less fortunate in others, but that is how luck pans out for everyone else too, and the key driver is whether or not you see this side, regardless of who plays or who doesn't, closing out a long run of wins which is what it is going to take to get within catching distance of the better teams.  Of course we always expect better teams to have poorer runs but sometimes that doesn't happen and its is dangerous to rely upon it.

The realities for me are:
A) The leaders have put on a spurt which betters our spurt.
B) Our team still struggles both attacking and defensing when it should be cohesive, comfortable and inspiring at all times.
C) Our coaches are still far from impressing with optimistic innovations and improvements during matches and keep making repetitive errors of judgement.
D) We still see the absence of a core eleven upon which most of us will agree reflect the best performers we have week in, week out.
E) Partnerships are still searching for each other and not finding them.

We have seen all these things before but my measure of the future depends upon what I see as the momentum of improvement in each and at the moment I believe that is barely visible in any.  Indeed it is the unlikeliest players who are turning in the good stuff, whilst the likelier players seem unable to work harder at their games.  This is still not a promotion team; it is far too fragile and breakable, IMO.   For me this team is similar to last season in many ways just playing at a lower level.  It needs to work much harder and be cohesive and until that happens will only convince those who wish to be convinced. 

I am not convinced we will do enough this season but I still feel Parker needs to be given the whole season.   

HV71

kiwian

Agree with all of this, start with AK and Neeskens, no more Onamah until further notice. we looked like we were actually trying when they were both on. Simple really.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

_Putney_

Glass half empty view: We might not get automatic promotion into the Premier League where will be beat week in week out by soulless tourist clubs because we have don't have a Spanish manager who signed the club into outrageous amounts of debt.

ALG01

we are not playing well enough and do not have the strength in depth we need.

cav and Knock are better than we had but have been very disappointing in recent games.

Onomah is very disappointing

Bryan, is not my idea of a good defender I would move odoi to LB and play christie at RB

Riversider

I genuinely dont think we will be top 6 on New Years Eve,
Just dont think we are anywhere near good enough, and dont think that Parker is technically astute enough to overcome any problems that we may face, would any of the top 7 swap their manager for Parker ?
Don't think so, do you ?
Nothing would please me more than a 3 nil victory tonight followed by wins against Brentford and Leeds, but I just cant see it,
Were a team that can be "got at" , any half decent team that takes the game to Fulham , especially at home , invariably gets rewarded,
Hector will help in January, but what about left back in particular and to an extent right back ?
(Hope this is the most refreshed post of 2019) three games from now, but I highly doubt it.

Woolly Mammoth

We may have a different perspective on it all after tonight's encounter. But unless there is a dramatic fall from either Albion or Leeds, the best we can hope for is top six, and only if we strengthen the squad in January. Otherwise we will end up also rans, because despite many supporters on here feeling that we have the best squad, which I disagree, the chasing pack can catch us and overtake leaving us empty handed.
But wait a minute, we have just accrued 12 out of our last 15 points, and that is promotion form when it comes to results, we are not even half way through the season and find ourselves in 3rd. So despite our shortcomings which do need major surgery I am a glass half full man 🍺
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WindyCity

I think a blanket statement like that requires further analysis.  The 4 on the trot were against lowly teams for the most part, and FFC did not really look all that convincing in those wins, maybe with one exception.  This club is still not showing any "consistency" in their performances.  Check that, they are consistent with possession and very few good scoring chances in spite of it.  Still looking for ways to convert all that time with the ball into goals scored!  Very frustrating.  Top two now seems a pipe dream.  Best we can hope for is top 6 and take our chances with the playoffs.  Over the course of these 15 points earned, FFC has actually lost ground.
Edit.....Don't get me wrong, winning any game in this league is tough, so cap tip to FFC for the 4 game win streak.  But I do think a critical eye is justified especially in light of the fact that we see no real progress in scoring goals with favorable possession.