watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The myth of our “top quality set of players”

Started by mattFFC, December 10, 2019, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattFFC

Yes Parker is inexperienced, tactically frustrating and not tested. BUT, the myth that this set of players are the highest quality in the league is rubbish... cost does not equal quality. There is a reason Knockaert and Cav were loaned out and deemed not good enough for their sides. Bryan, Manson and Onomah etc are simply not top quality championship players. Parker deserves the pressure he is under but we need to understand the squad of players are not as good as we all think and Parker deserves to be judged more realistically based on that.

Rant over.

ALG01

You are not far wrong. I do not agree with every detail but our players are very overated, and i think believe their own publicity.
Mitro's contribution tonight was shocking, he simply lost every ball and the free kick selfish.

Personally i continue to blame the khan's for failing to assemble a full squad in proper time for the start of the season. Whilst sonny boy remains in situ we have one hand tied behind our back.

ScalleysDad

You are onto something but put the Kevlar on anyway. We are supposed to be the best because we paid out the most. Even before tonight there was a split on ten of our first team walking into another Championship first team.
Rodak and Mitro at the moment as consistency would be a key factor.

Statto

You've mentioned 5 players there, and in the last 2-3 years, at least three of them have been arguably the best player in the Championship in their position over the course of a season, and one has been in the England squad.

The fifth one admittedly is poor but is there purely because Parker chooses to play him instead of a better option.

No one is basing their views on these players on how much we paid for them - it's based on how good they were IN THIS DIVISION for other clubs.

Facts Not Fiction

Every single team in this league would be improved by the signings we made.

millsy

Don't need to have the best players in the league if you can get those you have, playing as a team, like say, Brentford and Bristol.

If you've got some of the best players and play as a team, Bingo!

Milo

Can't blame the recruitment this season I fear. We either blame the players for lack of effort/application, or the Manager for lack of coordination.

howitis

You are bang on and to make matters worse we have had some of these players for some time now so know full well their limitations. It is a disgrace that the defence is this bad. There is just no excuse. Bad buying and ultimately poor management which has been unable to install any sense of togetherness or mental/physical resistence amongst this dysfunctional crew.
I want to list the players that are surplus to requirements but the list is now too long and it's far quicker to focus on the retention list. That list however is probably now in danger of being a "get me out of here" list !!
Just for the record but its obvious:-
Mitro
Cavaleiro
Decordova-Reid (i appreciate its early days but he has shown enough to me despite being played out of position)
Cairney
SJ
Sessegnon
Rodak (still think we need a GK but showing great potential)
Arter (still think he could be good for us)

As for the rest either the the best is behind you (Odoi/McDonald) or you have always been crap (endless list ......

ealex40

I dread to think how badly we'd do in the Premier, if by some fluke we'd get promotion again. 

Mullers OG

You have a point.  Parker has to make do with what he's got and who is fit and available.  Having said that he chose to go into this game with Onomah and Kamara neither of whom are anywhere near the standard required at Fulham.  Chasing a game near the end he chose to take off Knockhaert and leave on Onomah when DLT came on (far too late).

I always felt that letting Ayite go was a terrible mistake and Kebano has been hopelessly underused - yet again started to transform the game once he was introduced.  MoM tonight for me.

Two of our back 4 are out of form (Bryan and Mawson) and Odoi, who is one of my favourite players, has occasional moments of idiocy.  Mitrovic, Rodak, Ream and SJ cannot without help get us up.

mattFFC

I don't think it's entirely recruitment I think there is just a misconception as to how good some of these players actually are. Yes they have had good seasons in the past but that does not make them top quality championship players in the present. If you think Mawson and Bryan are in the top 10 championship defenders then in my view That's barmy.

It's just odd IMO  how some think change the manager and we will suddenly go 20 undefeated again.... it doesn't work like that. I'm not saying Parker is the chosen one but he can only be so much to blame. I think we have a decent squad with a decent manager and top 6 is not actually bad with this group of players who are not currently a coherent unit and still trying to gel together as a team. Parker definitely needs to up his game and I have big doubts but the blame definitely is not entirely on him.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Statto on December 10, 2019, 10:13:09 PM
Got to laugh at this line of argument.

You've mentioned 5 players there, and in the last 2-3 years, at least three of them have been arguably the best player in the Championship in their position over the course of a season, and one has been in the England squad.

The fifth one admittedly is poor but is there purely because Parker chooses to play him instead of a better option.

No one is basing their views on these players on how much we paid for them - it's based on how good they were IN THIS DIVISION for other clubs.

To be fair the wage bill and fees have been the basis of threads that question why we are not top two or to question performances against teams we should have done better against. I think that is what the OP is alluding to, although it is late.
Would any of the named four get back into their parent/former teams for games this weekend?

Milo

Very good point re: Ayite.

Could've done a job these past few games.

YankeeJim

Quote from: ALG01 on December 10, 2019, 10:05:56 PM
You are not far wrong. I do not agree with every detail but our players are very overated, and i think believe their own publicity.
Mitro's contribution tonight was shocking, he simply lost every ball and the free kick selfish.

Personally i continue to blame the khan's for failing to assemble a full squad in proper time for the start of the season. Whilst sonny boy remains in situ we have one hand tied behind our back.

Your out of step. This month its Parker and Onomah. We only trash the Khans during transfer windows. The real question is whom will it be come February?

Geez.....                  :dead horse:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

mattFFC

Quote from: Statto on December 10, 2019, 10:13:09 PM

Interesting viewpoint. I agree that they may have more quality than they are currently displaying (Bryan) but they simply are not great players now just because they played well in a different team 3 seasons ago. Give me 2 or 3 young players who are passionate and have potential to grow over overpaid ex star names any day...

FFC1987

We really will blame anyone but Parker won't we....

Denver Fulham

Quote from: mattFFC on December 10, 2019, 10:02:17 PM
Yes Parker is inexperienced, tactically frustrating and not tested. BUT, the myth that this set of players are the highest quality in the league is rubbish... cost does not equal quality. There is a reason Knockaert and Cav were loaned out and deemed not good enough for their sides. Bryan, Manson and Onomah etc are simply not top quality championship players. Parker deserves the pressure he is under but we need to understand the squad of players are not as good as we all think and Parker deserves to be judged more realistically based on that.

Rant over.

Both Cavaleiro and Knockaert tore this league up with different clubs. Bryan was one of our better (not saying much) players in the Premier League last season. Suddenly their quality is a myth? Or is it that our manager is just bad? I'm betting heavily on the latter ... and continuing to play Onomah (even with all the injuries) is another indication of that problem.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on December 10, 2019, 10:52:45 PM

Sure, there's only been about a few thousand posts blaming Parker in the last week alone (not only by you, even if there are many). He gets away with everything...

What if more than one thing at once can be possible, and not everything is mutually exclusive? SP may be doing a bad job. The players may not be quite as good as some say they are. Both can be true (or false).

mattFFC

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 10, 2019, 11:05:01 PM

Sure, there's only been about a few thousand posts blaming Parker in the last week alone (not only by you, even if there are many). He gets away with everything...

What if more than one thing at once can be possible, and not everything is mutually exclusive? SP may be doing a bad job. The players may not be quite as good as some say they are. Both can be true (or false).

100000000% my point. It is not always one or the other and that is what some people cannot seem to grasp. Parker clearly isn't the worlds greatest manager but these players don't have a divine right to promotion merely because they played well in 2016.
Sacking mid way through a season is unlikely to result in much change. Do people genuinely think if we had a manager as talented as Nuno Santo that this team would thrive in the premiership like Wolves did?

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: mattFFC on December 10, 2019, 11:40:57 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on December 10, 2019, 11:05:01 PM

100000000% my point. It is not always one or the other and that is what some people cannot seem to grasp. Parker clearly isn't the worlds greatest manager but these players don't have a divine right to promotion merely because they played well in 2016.
Sacking mid way through a season is unlikely to result in much change. Do people genuinely think if we had a manager as talented as Nuno Santo that this team would thrive in the premiership like Wolves did?

That's an unfair comparison. Wolves spent well and had a style more suited to the Premier League when they were promoted. They are miles ahead of us right now. Would Nuno get us pissing this league like he did when Wolves were last here? I would put money on it.