more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hector was fine today

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, January 11, 2020, 05:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: Statto on January 11, 2020, 05:20:44 PM
Good to see Hector do well but would have been nicer to win 4-3 or 3-2 just to give Parker an excuse to rotate Mawson back in for Ream, and possibly Bryan, when they're fully fit. Keeping a clean sheet today means he'll probably persist with that back 4, which IMO will cost us 3 pts in another match in the near future.
[/quoteFunny,
Good to see Hector do well but would have been nicer to win 4-3 or 3-2 just to give Parker an excuse to rotate Mawson back in for Ream, and possibly Bryan, when they're fully fit. Keeping a clean sheet today means he'll probably persist with that back 4, which IMO will cost us 3 pts in another match in the near future.

Funny I am looking for a settled back four to develop understanding and confidence although at this stage I am not at all sure who the best four players are. I am also not sure that Parker  is sure either.

sarvenpa

Everytime Ream has the ball my pulse rises.
Good win away!  :wine:

grandad

Quote from: sarvenpa on January 11, 2020, 06:39:25 PM
Everytime Ream has the ball my pulse rises.
Good win away!  :wine:

Anything else rise. LOL
Where there's a will there's a wife

Arthur

Keeping a clean sheet today means he'll probably persist with that back 4, which IMO will cost us 3 pts in another match in the near future.

They may. But so might any back four you or I care to pick. To rotate defenders around Hector offers no guarantee, in my view, that we will pick up more points. We could just as easily fare worse.

DevonFFC

Quote from: Arthur on January 11, 2020, 08:23:20 PM
Keeping a clean sheet today means he'll probably persist with that back 4, which IMO will cost us 3 pts in another match in the near future.

They may. But so might any back four you or I care to pick. To rotate defenders around Hector offers no guarantee, in my view, that we will pick up more points. We could just as easily fare worse.

From the limited stream I could watch today I think it's clear that Hector is someone who actively attacks the ball, he tries to stop the man before he turns to face goal and is quick to to break the line of defence in doing so.

This is fine, if you have a defender next to him who doesn't play the same otherwise you leave yourself open to a quick one to and they are in on goal and clearly onside.

So far I'm impressed by him, seems to have a good range of passing, great in the air and although doesn't look quick seems to keep up with his man.

I think him and Mawson could potentially be very good but I wouldn't want them isolated with two attacking wing backs next to them unless there is a disciplined man infront, like KMac season before last who slots in to make the 3.

Fernhurst

Quote from: Whitesideup on January 11, 2020, 06:30:54 PM
Some of our number don't rate Ream but rate Mawson higher. Ream is a better defender than they give him credit for ( yes, an opinion - I don't have to be shot down in flames) and Mawson has not performed to the level some of us would have hoped.  Now there is real competition - he will have to get back to his best form to command a starting place. To me it was no surprise that Ream started today, and consequently it was no surprise that our defence did very well against a team that are very good on the break. I prefer to think of it us us who negated the threat rather than Hull being poor. I also agree with those who say that Odoi is a good and capable defender, and without seeing the game, I am confident he helped our cause today. Around me in the Hammy end, we are all big fans of Denis.

It may also suggest that Parker set the team up correctly. If so, we should give him credit for that. I'm not saying that makes him the Messiah, but maybe a little credit where it is due.

Great result today. Let's enjoy it just for a moment.

Well I'll be bu*****d----- just the post I was about to write.
1.Well done to Dennis
2. Congrats to Scott and his team, coming up with a game plan to foil their quick attacking wingers.
3. Enjoying reading the forum with a glass of wine after a quite marvellous result.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

YankeeJim

Mawson often just goes missing. I didn't see the major defensive holes today that we too often  exhibit. Is that Mawson? Not totally but he doesn't seem to cover whomever is alongside him. Besides, for a big lad, he doesn't seem very strong.
IMHO
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Tabby

Not sure how much was the defending and how much was the conditions. Both teams were missing easy passes all over. Putting Odoi on Bowen probably helped though.

In the end, a win is a win.

Woolly Mammoth

Hector coming in is very important, it's another string to our defensive bow. He also increases our power in the air which has been a weakness, and there is still room for improvement. I still feel Mawson will come good, he has genuine quality and another that can dominate the Ariel battles. I am not sure if Alfie has been completely 100% fit and conditioned and that may be something to do with an old injury, so Hector coming in will help take some of the pressure off him in regards to game time. We could do with another full back and preferably somebody with height who is physically strong and can defend as an orthodox defender should. We had a rare clean sheet today, and that was not fortuitous, and one goal was enough to win a game. We need to win our fair share of high balls, and today we did and that was not a coincidence, but one of the reasons why we won and prevented Hull from scoring. We did park the bus at times, and you can only do that with strong physical big players, not lightweights or a lack of height.
Our fifth away win of the season, so we are travelling well enough, we need to pick up more points at home to keep it ticking over and Middsborough on Friday will be a threat and we need to ensure we have the same philosophy of thou shall not pass, but still have the attacking threat that most clubs in this Division can only dream of.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on January 11, 2020, 05:42:58 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 11, 2020, 05:37:15 PM
Ream is more versatile than Mawson...and the two best defending fullbacks on the squad started today.

Versatility isn't really something I attach much value to, personally. I'd rather have players who are good in the primary position than players who can be crap in several positions.

Versatility is important on the bench and in the squad, Ream provides more options. But, if we need a centre back to keep a clean sheet I'd choose Mawson as a left centre back over Ream. We have so many goals to the right and left of Ream; our defensive problems are clearly either Ream or both Mawson/Bryan.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 12, 2020, 04:24:16 AM
Ream is more versatile than Mawson...and the two best defending fullbacks on the squad started today.

Versatility isn't really something I attach much value to, personally. I'd rather have players who are good in the primary position than players who can be crap in several positions.

Versatility is important on the bench and in the squad, Ream provides more options. But, if we need a centre back to keep a clean sheet I'd choose Mawson as a left centre back over Ream. We have so many goals to the right and left of Ream; our defensive problems are clearly either Ream or both Mawson/Bryan.

Think its Bryan and his lack of stopping
balls coming into the box that is more of the problem.

colinwhite

Apert from the qualities already mentioned ,and ok its only having seen him for 2 games,he seems to me to be more proactive or less reactive in his defending than the other players we have . Wins duels etc but can also intercept and use his physique to dominate situations.

toshes mate

I thought Denis Odoi had another fine game and that makes right, left and central defence successes for him this season.  Not sure if Parker knows his best defenders yet let alone best formation.

Bill2

Yesterday Scotty knew they would pump it long over the top and catch us on the break, like at the cottage. He set up for that with more physical presence to combat that, which is why I think he played K Mac.
As we won it worked and Hector was very good in the air, can't recall him being beaten also fitted in well with the general style Scotty plays.
Not a great performance but good against an on form team and difficult conditions.

Statto

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 12, 2020, 07:12:31 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 12, 2020, 04:24:16 AM

Think its Bryan and his lack of stopping
balls coming into the box that is more of the problem.
Agree that Bryan is a woeful defender.
But Christie isn't much better.
Overall I'd prefer LB Bryan RB Odoi, to LB Odoi RB Christie

ffcne

Were you there?
Thought defence looked solid Odoi better defender  than Bryan .He had an excellent game.
Ream steady and reads the game well and if we are going to play out is much better than Mawson.
Hector looks assured and confident.
Christie seemed to lose concentration a couple of times.
Also helped by McDonald who after a shaky start protected the back 4  well.

ffcne

Quote from: Tabby on January 11, 2020, 08:32:45 PM
Not sure how much was the defending and how much was the conditions. Both teams were missing easy passes all over. Putting Odoi on Bowen probably helped though.

In the end, a win is a win.

Yes Odoi kept him really quiet.
Christie caught a couple of times by the other winger.
A bit of indecision

YoungsBitter

Quote from: ffcne on January 12, 2020, 10:43:54 AM

Were you there?
Thought defence looked solid Odoi better defender  than Bryan .He had an excellent game.
Ream steady and reads the game well and if we are going to play out is much better than Mawson.

Agree, thought Odoi was very good, made an error early on but we got away with it. He is certainly defensively a step on Bryan, Christie was more nervous for sure but at the reverse fixture Grosicki caused chaos and created 2 of their 3 goals so the fact he had a quiet day means Cyrus did ok.
I think that Hector is similar stylistically to Mawson so Parker has more options with Ream to bring the ball out, I think this back 4 starts on Friday.
Quark, strangeness and charm

LittleErn

Quote from: ffcne on January 12, 2020, 10:43:54 AM

Were you there?

I was there and agree with you ffcne. But why do we always start badly? There were gaping holes in the defence for the first 15-20 minutes and, as usual, we got pressured while trying to play out and could easily have given away an early goal. Surely the time to play out from the back is not in the first 15 mins when the opposition are up for it and still fresh? Play it safe until they start to lose enthusiasm and then play the possession game.

filham

McDonald had an input into that clean sheet, good to see him back and play for 96 minutes.
Surely Parker will continue with the same defence next week.
In defending corners and free kicks we now have Hector, McDonald and Mitro to win those high balls.
Looks like we are going to miss Mitro for a while, lets hope Kamara is ready to replace him.