Main Menu

View from Brentford

Started by terryr, December 13, 2019, 09:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

First I was locked out of their Forum
Now I'm not

"According to the ticketing site there are 33 tickets left."

" Pretty impressive. The club tweeted they had sold 90 yesterday, so that's some going to shift that many tickets so quickly"

" ................big club again.............."

"Β  People Won't miss the Fulham game especially ! on a Saturday at 3pm "

" This has potential to be a huge game if we win today. Have a feeling those two games (Fulham and West Brom) will define the rest of our season.. win both or at least one and a draw and will be in a very good position up there."

" Yet again it seems our derby v fulham is more popular than our derby v qpr.......just saying"

" officially sold out ."

" Get down to Brentford, early doors, this is our manor!!
"Fulham are you Listening?"

" Hadn't realised how many big lumps that lot had until watching them tonight....."

" ........half time cheerleaders????................"

" Fulham fans on twitter are shitting themselves about sat!"

" Probably just overreacting to be honest, it's a division where you can look promotion candidates one week and relegation fodder the next. They're nearer the former certainly although defensively they do have a few question marks. They'll be top 6 and Saturday will be a tough game, for us and them..."

" Nice to see "promotion chasers" are coming to GP according to the Brentford App.
If we beat Cardiff and Fulham we will be above them. Who writes that crap.
By the way I know we won't overtake them because we always get a nosebleed when we see the top 6."

" Why are we bigging them up on our website.
If we can get our act together we could be above them by the end of the game."

"Β  Parker Out!
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/foru...&topic=73689.0"

" Wow they are depressed aren't they. Let's hope we can add to the depression on Saturday."

" There's a knob who admits he doesn't go to games, one who says he spent the whole time looking at that forum while at the game and another who is asking "guys" to stay calm, what a complete bunch of karnts"

" I was planning heading up from Hampshire for a decent day at the Fulham game plus beers etc. Can't be risking it now with the SWR shambles, but the plus point is I now get some non commute weekend time in my recently purchased Golf R, vroom vroom!"
Harefield FFC
"Β  trouble with a lot of our fans,is that they thought with our signings we only had to turn up this season to win the league, but truth is, the likes of Knockaert, Cavaleiro and co. aren't as good as they were hyped up to be (especially Knockaert). Our most effective new signings (imo), Decordova Reid and Harrison reed are both injured, and without Cairney (ill) last night we had no direction.
Somehow though, despite not playing that well, we are still 3rd (until tonight), and so something must be working.
Thing is, based on recent visits to Griffin Park I'm not expecting much on Saturday, but sometimes we click out of the blue when we least expect it.
Anyway, see it's a sell out, and looking forward to it...."

" Sadly I don't expect you to lose three on the bounce and while we're a very good side on our day we're patchy so all depends which one turns up on the day for both of us. I imagine and trust it will be a very good atmosphere as if we can't generate a bit of noise and plenty of anti against you one last time at GP it would be very sad. I suspect most are aware of that so here's to a rocking Griffin Park, hope it's a cracking game with you going away gutted at the result but able to enjoy yourself before and after."

" Scotty Parker In!"

" They look strong overall to me. I've seen them a few times - deep squad which will serve them well in the run in.
They should really have got something (how many times have we said that about us!?) against Brizzle (their bogey team) and, but for a moment of madness from their fella who got sent off on the 28th min they were always in the game last night. Kamara looks a real handful and we know about Mitrovic.
Interestingly, a bit like us at Blackburn, they didn't deal with PNE well when they ran at them directly through the middle.
Can't believe Mawson will play as poorly against us.. here's hoping!!
It will be very tight. Let's see. Two teams who pass the ball around. Likely to be a game of finest margins. Just feel first team to score crucial...
COME ON YOU BEES!!!!"
Harefield FFC
" Yep, fair comment. Hope it's a partisan atmosphere inside, with both sets of fans making it so. You're right, as although I make you favourites at the moment, it all depends what Fulham and Brentford turn up and nothing will surprise me. That's what's so much better about the Championship - so unpredictable.

" Let's just hope the team can recover and come out fired up and rested"

"Β  We'll smash Fulham on Saturday!!"

" I hope you're right mate"

" Me too. With four of them before and after the game. It will be hell if we lose!"

" Didn't realise there was so much animosity towards Parker, they are third after all."

" They don't know their football, many of them thought keeping Cairney and Mitrovic would guarantee they'd be back up by January.
I think they will make the play offs but not sure they will stick by Parker"

" We have 3 of the top 25 scorers in the Championship:- Ollie (13); Bryan (7) & Josh (6)....."

" .........play off spot within touching distance.............."

" Roll on Saturday !.."

" Win on Saturday and the West London clubs will be in Alphabetical Order on Saturday nights table"

" Top London side in the EFL - if we win."

" prediction. Bees 2 Fulham 0. Happy."

"Β  Just predicted 4-0 Bees on the friends of Fulham site. Not sure how long it will be left on."

" Fulham Preview

Fulham have had a solid start to life back in the Championship following relegation from the Premier League in May.
They have gone on runs of wins – but also winless runs – and arrive for their final game at Griffin Park, on Saturday, third in the table but 11 points behind leading duo Leeds and West Brom.
Over the course of the campaign they have won four in a row, three in a row and two in a row, but also had one winless sequence of four matches and have lost both their games this week.
They have been slightly stronger at home with six wins and two draws from 11 league matches, while away they have won four, drawn three and lost three of 10 games.
Fulham are in their fifth season in the Championship in six years, after their 13-year spell in the Premier League ended in 2014.
They mostly finished in the bottom half of the table during their top flight stay, although they did have four seasons when they came between seventh and ninth and in 2010 reached the Europa League final, where they lost 2-1 to Atletico Madrid after extra-time.

WHO'S IN CHARGE

Scott Parker was appointed permanent manager in the summer, following a spell as caretaker boss following the dismissal of Claudio Ranieri in February.

Parker had been the club's first-team coach since 2018 after moving from Spurs, where he had coached their under-18 squad following his retirement as a playerΒ  a year earlier.

As a midfielder, Parker won 18 full caps for England, and nine at under-21 level. He started all four matches in the Euro 2012 finals.

In his playing career, he had long spells with Charlton, West Ham and Fulham and also played for Norwich (on loan), Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs.

WE'VE MET BEFORE

Brentford have had the upper hand in the four seasons in which the sides have met in the Championship.

We won both the 2014/15 matches – 2-1 at home (Jota in the last minute) and 4-1 at the Cottage (in front of 6,000 travelling Bees), although we did lose a second round Capital One Cup tie 1-0 at Griffin Park.

We drew 2-2 at Fulham just before Christmas the following season, before winning the return 3-0 at the end of the campaign.

In 2016/17, the Cottagers grabbed their only league win so far in this series in a televised GP enounter, as a goal in each half from Sone Aluko and Tom Cairney, in second half stoppage time, gave the Cottagers a 2-0 win.

A first half penalty save by Daniel Bentley from Tom Cairney, and a stop from the follow-up, ensured the Bees drew 1-1 at Fulham at the end of April. Cairney gave them an early lead but Nico Yennaris equalised after a one-two with Konstantin Kerschbaumer.

We last met in 2017/18 and despite Neeskens Kebano putting Fulham ahead midway through the first half at GP, Sergi Canos quickly equalised and then Romaine Sawyers put us ahead shortly after half-time. Denis Odoi was then sent off before Ollie Watkins' third sealed a 3-1 win.
OPPOSITION VIEW

BBC London reporter and commentator Emma Jones tells us how Fulham's season has gone so far, analyses the job Scott Parker has done since taking charge and what it's like watching matches at a three-sided Craven Cottage.

Q – How would you assess Fulham's season so far – better than expected, worse than expected, or as expected?

A – I think a lot of people were expecting Fulham to hit the ground running – and not let up. So to lose against Barnsley on the first day of the season was something of a wake-up call. Being in the play-off places is the least that is expected.

Q – How good a job has Scott Parker done since taking over at the club last season?

A – It is still early days – but he seems like a good fit for Fulham. He knows the club and its expectations – and is well aware of what success or failure means to the fans too. He likes his team to keep the ball – or win it back quickly if they lose it – which you can see from some impressive possession statistics already this season.

Q – What transfer business – in and out – did Fulham do over the summer?

A – Scott Parker has pretty much gone back to basics from the team relegated from the Premier League, and reverted quite closely to the squad promoted the season before – with a few loan additions from Premier League teams. The club's best business though has been keeping Mitrovic.

Q – What's it like watching matches at Craven Cottage this season in a three-sided ground and is it affecting the matches?

A – The Riverside Stand has gradually disappeared during the early home games this season. And last time I was there it was there at the end of November it was just some rubble and a few cranes. It does mean that the ground it exposed directly to the bitter winds that can whip off the Thames, so it can feel even colder than it tends to at this time of year! In terms of atmosphere, with the ground missing one big stand, I am sure it will feel different.

Q – What style of football should Brentford fans expect to see from Fulham?

A – Patient build-up play, lots of possession, crosses from the full backs, plus players pushing through central midfield and Mitrovic being a challenge to defend in the 18 yard box

Q – Which players should we watch out for?

A – Mitrovic. Do you need to ask why?!

Q – Finally, can you give me a possible Fulham starting line-up and formation?

A – Scott has been using Rodak in goal recently – a back four of LB – Joe Bryan, CD – Alfie Mawson and Tim Ream – RB – Cyrus Christie or Josh Onomah Midfield =Β  Johansen, Cairney, Harrison Reed ( if he is back from injury )Β  Up front – KamaraΒ  and Cavaleiro on the wings – Mitrovic as CF

IAN WESTBROOK

@ianwestbrook

PUBS IN BRENTFORD AND TRAVEL NEWS

For Fulham fans coming to Griffin Park for the final time, you are probably aware there plenty of pub options pre-match and all are most welcoming and away-fan-friendly (as it should be). As you are probably well aware, Brentford is well known for its four pubs – one on each corner of the ground. The Griffin is closest to the away end (like 30 secs walk) and is very popular with away fans – but also very, very busy. The New Inn is on the other side and is also popular with away fans. The Princess Royal and the newly-opened and renamed The Brook pub – which has jumped on the craft beer bandwagon – are the other options.

That's it

Twig

Well done Terry, always an interesting read.Β  Their supporters are a bit of a mixed bunch aren't they? Some sensible comments mixed with some total bilge.

Spirit of 2000

Am going as it's their final game at Goblin Park - and despite the fact that it's a run down little sh*thole, it's quite an endearing old fashioned & "proper" run down little sh*thole that holds tons of memories for me going there over the past 40 years (Phil Stant going mental after scoring, Kelly Haag, Peter Scott screamer in the 3-3 there, amazing atmosphere created under that low roof in the away end etc) & I'll in a strange way miss it. I know they're only moving 100 yards down the road but it's going to be a modern characterless soulless construct such is the trend with football stadiums these days & makes you appreciate the Cottage even more.

Logicalman

Thanks as ever Terry.

One of the better comments posted on there:

" Probably just overreacting to be honest, it's a division where you can look promotion candidates one week and relegation fodder the next. They're nearer the former certainly although defensively they do have a few question marks. They'll be top 6 and Saturday will be a tough game, for us and them..."

Can be said by any EFL supporter week-in and week-out, spot on.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

Moltobueno

A – Scott has been using Rodak in goal recently – a back four of LB – Joe Bryan, CD – Alfie Mawson and Tim Ream – RB – Cyrus Christie or Josh Onomah Midfield =Β  Johansen, Cairney, Harrison Reed ( if he is back from injury )Β  Up front – KamaraΒ  and Cavaleiro on the wings – Mitrovic as CF

IAN WESTBROOK

:005:

Milo

SP

Great stuff Terry.Β  On the Saturday Fulham Stuff, the Brentford fan mentions the important bragging rights associated with this fixture.Β  What is he talking about, this fixture is hardly an El Classico?Β  I don't think I've ever met a Brentford fan?

Baszab

I know many Brentford fans

You have no idea how much this match means to them

This is their Cup Final ...and I really mean it !!

Their loathing for us is deep...way deeper than us for Chelsea !!

I don't honestly know why though

SP