Swansea
3-1
Middlesborough
Wigan
1-1
Huddersfield

WhiteJC

Brentford 1-0 Fulham

Bryan Mbeumo nets the winner as he beats Cyrus Christie to convert Said Benrahma's cross.

Bryan Mbeumo netted for the fourth game in a row as Brentford won the west London derby against Fulham at Griffin Park to move up to fourth in the Championship.

The Frenchman took his tally for the season to eight when he volleyed in Said Benrahma's lofted ball at the back post midway through the first half.

Brentford hit the woodwork three times, with Ollie Watkins, Pontus Jansson and Mathias Jensen all seeing efforts come back off the post.

Fulham's Neeskens Kebano also struck the upright early on, but they rarely tested Bees keeper David Raya.

The result maintains Brentford's recent stranglehold over their rivals - they have now lost just one of the past nine league meetings with Fulham, winning five.

Most importantly, it sent the Bees into the top four for the first time since September 2018 and lifted them above Scott Parker's side, who have now lost their past three matches.

Kebano's early effort was not a sign of things to come for the Whites, and their keeper Marek Rodak was kept busy by Brentford.

Fulham substitute Bobby Reid injected a bit of life into the visitors but could not find the target with a header.

Brentford head coach Thomas Frank said:

"It was certainly one of the best performances since I have been here, especially as we were playing a relegated Premier League side.

"I was pleased with how we outplayed them but most importantly how we outran them. I told the boys before that if we did that, we would win the game.

"Some of the football was magical, especially after a three-game week, so I have to thank my performance and medical staff as well as the players, whose attitude was outstanding.

"Tonight I will watch it after a glass of wine and agree it was magical and at times, beautiful."

Fulham head coach Scott Parker told BBC Radio London:

"After 20 minutes I sensed some nerves and we've lost 1-0 with a team who lack confidence a bit.

"The first 15 minutes we demonstrated what a good side we are, we cut them open and created a chance but they scored with their first attack and you saw a flatness about us.

"We've got a massive challenge ahead of us now against Leeds but as long as we keep trying we'll be okay."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50696222

WhiteJC

Head Coach press conference

Scott Parker was understandably disappointed after we were beaten by Brentford at Griffin Park on Saturday afternoon.

Afterwards, our Head Coach faced the media and discussed the performance, confidence and more. ‪‬

"We played a very good Brentford side, they'll be right up there at the end of the season," said Parker.

"We started pretty well, controlled the game, hit the post, and then from their first or second attack they got a goal. At that moment, you saw a team that's a little low in confidence, and that's what happens in football.

"We had four straight wins, everyone was saying how great things are, the team were flying and in the space of three weeks, football changes and we've had three losses. It's disappointing and I take full responsibility, as I'm the man that stands there on the side-line, but ultimately, we need to stick together during times like these.

"In football, you can lose two or three on the bounce, but in the world we're in today, after one loss, fingers are pointed. As a man and as a player, you need to try and embrace that.

"In these moments, what gets you out of these slight blips is togetherness.

"We have a big week ahead of us with a massive game against a very good side, who have done very well. The main aim and focus will be togetherness.

"We'll go out on that and pitch and no matter what, stand up to a man. I saw a team that lost a game 1-0, I didn't see a team that folded. I saw every player trying to play with a passion, a desire and a commitment. I'm more gutted than anyone, but we'll aim to put it right on Saturday. It's up to me and my team to stand up and be counted and try and get a result next weekend.

"It's my job to put these results in perspective. The faults and disappointments are what I need to rationalise. It's a mini blip, and it's not ideal, but I'm going to fight, as I don't know any different.

"What experience tells me, when you fight, nine times out of ten, you'll come through."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/december/14/head-coach-press conference-brentford

WhiteJC

Brentford beat Fulham in derby showdown

Brentford 1 Fulham 0

Fiery Brentford took the spoils in the west London derby with their fourth successive home victory.

A 23rd-minute strike by Bryan Mbeumo was sufficient in the end, although the Bees were completely dominant for the vast majority of the clash in which Fulham were a mere shadow of their potential, with several of their top players off colour.

The Whites had goalkeeper Marek Rodak to thank for a string of smart saves as their defence struggled to cope with the pace and ingenuity of Brentford. Jaded Fulham – who host Leeds United next Saturday – have now lost three successive Championship games.

The visitors were the first to go close in the 12th minute when Neeskens Kebano struck the left post with a right foot shot from outside the box after an unselfish lay off by Alfie Mawson. The Bees responded eventually when Mathias Jensen brought out a fine save by Rodak with a fierce drive from a similar position.

Brentford settled – and they got their reward, with a well-crafted opener.

Ollie Watkins managed to hold off the attentions of Alfie Mawson on the right side, before laying the ball off to Said Benrahma, who chipped the ball to the back post for Mbeumo to find sufficient space to volley home.

The goal imbued the Bees with zest and their appetite clearly unsettled Fulham. Watkins almost made it two, but the striker jammed the ball against the post after being set up nicely by Mbuemo who had just dispossessed a labouring Mawson.

Thomas Frank's men continued to dominate the bulk of the first half and, in fact, would have been slightly disappointed not to have seen the Bees extend their lead by the interval, particularly when Pontus Jansson hit the post with a header from a Jensen cross.

Fulham brightened, albeit slightly, at the start of the second half. And home keeper David Raya had to be alert to parry a decent shot from distance by Cyrus Christie. The momentum didn't last, with Brentford always looking dangerous, Josh Dasilva just missing the target and then drawing a great save from busy Rodak via a low, drilled shot.

Fulham began to noticeably fade, and had the luckiest of escapes in 67 minutes, when Rodak palmed Jensen's shot against the post before watching the ball dribble across the goal line to eventual safety.

Mbeuno outstripped the Whites' defence on the break in the closing moments but was let down by a lack of composure. But the Bees did more than enough to see out their deserved derby success.

Brentford: Raya, Dalsgaard, Jansson, Pinnock, Henry, Mokotjo, Jensen, Dasilva (Norgaard 75), Mbuemo (Roerslev 85), Watkins, Benrahma

Fulham: Rodak, Christie, Mawson, Bryan, Ream, Kebano (Knockaert 68), Johansen (Kamara 64), Cairney, Cavaleiro (Decordova-Reid 76), Onomah, Mitrovic

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/brentford-beat-fulham-in-derby-showdown

WhiteJC

Fulham very much second best as Brentford win west London derby

Brentford 1 Fulham 0

Fulham fell to a third defeat in eight days but could have no complaints – the home side's superiority underlined by the fact they struck the post three times.

It was something of a minor miracle that the Whites stayed in this west London derby until the very end,  as they were frequently under the cosh and carved open by the trickery of an unplayable Said Benrahma, while Ollie Watkins was a constant threat.

Scott Parker shuffled his pack in the second half, throwing on Abou Kamara, Anthony Knockaert, and Bobby Reid, but the Bees maintained the upper hand and should have won more comfortably.

A more even contest suggested itself early on, with Neeskens Kebano crashing a low shot onto the outside of a post. But the Bees forced a flurry of corners to rouse their fans and they began to create good chances.

A teasing cross from the dazzling Benrahama was begging for a far-post boot to connect with it, then a misplaced square ball from Tim Ream had the Whites in a pickle and Benrahma should have capitalised instead of running into traffic. Mathias Jensen, following up, still stung the palms of Marek Rodak.

Moments later a cross from Benrahma was stabbed in on the volley by Bryan Mbeumo and through the legs of the Fulham keeper for the opening goal in the 22nd minute.

And it really should have been 2-0 on the half hour, when Mbeumo got the beating of Ream and his square ball was thumped against the far post by Ollie Watkins, with Josh Dasilva planting the rebound wide with the goal at his mercy.

A rattled Fulham were then grateful that Benrahma skied badly after Watkins had laid an inviting ball into his path on a counter-attack.

Then it was the turn of Pontus Jansson to hit the woodwork just before the interval – the defender rising up at a corner to head against the inside of the far post.

Fulham had got lucky and needed to up their game after the break to have a chance of cashing in. Cyrus Christie – in for the suspended Denis Odoi – tested David Raya in the Brentford goal and Tom Cairney wafted an effort just over before Ivan Cavaleiro chanced his arm from distance.

But the Bees got back on the front foot – twice going close through Dasilva,  before connecting with woodwork for a third time when Rodak made a hash of a Jensen shot from outside the area.

The keeper palmed the shot onto the inside of his right hand post then watched open-mouthed as it flew across the line without going in.

Rodak then kept out a Watkins shot arrowing towards the bottom corner and Mbeumo could have wrapped things up after scampering through after another beautiful piece of work from Benrahma.

Reid came on and nearly flicked in a cross from the right from Knockaert, but his header glanced wide. In truth a goal then would have been a travesty, as the Whites disappointed.

Brentford: Raya – Dalsgaard, Jansson, Pinnock, Henry – Dasilva (Norgaard 75), Mokotjo, Jensen –Mbeumo (Roerslev 85), Watkins, Benrahma. Subs not used: Daniels, Thompson, Jeanvier, Sorensen, Hammar.

Fulham: Rodak – Christie, Mawson, Ream, Bryan – Cavaleiro (Reid 76), Onomah, Johansen (Kamara 63), Cairney, Kebano (Knockaert 69) – Mitrovic. Subs not used: Bettinelli, O'Riley, De La Torre, Sessegnon

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/fulham-very-much-second-best-as-brentford-win-west-london-derby/

WhiteJC

Brentford climb into top six after winning west London derby against Fulham

Brentford moved into the play off places with a 1-0 win over west London rivals Fulham that was far more emphatic than the scoreline suggested.

Bryan Mbeumo's blistering volley midway through the first half was enough to leapfrog the Cottagers and lift the Bees to fourth in the Championship.

The hosts outplayed their rivals for long spells, hitting the woodwork three times and forcing keeper Marek Rodak into a string of saves. In the end, the single goal was enough to consign Fulham to their third defeat in a row.

The goal came in the 22nd minute after a lightning counter attack when Ollie Watkins held the ball up and slipped it through to Said Benrahma, whose first-time cross was smashed home at the far post by the French Under-21 winger.

It was no more than the Bees deserved for a powerful high-tempo performance that left Scott Parker's side looking bewildered for long spells of the first half.

The visitors started brightly though, Neeskens Kebano cutting in from the left to fire off a low drive that span to safety off the outside of the upright.

Stefan Johansen was next to try a range finder, but his low bobbling effort from the edge of the box flew just past the other post.

Brentford were clinical on the break, and Benrahma raced clear to feed Mathias Jensen but the midfielder's stinging drive was well saved low to his right by Rodak.

The hosts grew in confidence after the opener and should have stretched their lead eight minutes with another piece of text book counter attacking.

Mbeumo was the provider this time, his early cross finding Watkins in full flight only for the striker to hit the post on the stretch before Josh Dasilva fired the rebound inches wide.

Brentford could count themselves unlucky not to have gone in with more than the one-goal cushion when the woodwork came to Fulham's rescue again in first half injury time.

Jensen's corner was met at the near post by skipper Pontus Jansson, whose downward glancing header bounced to safety off the angle.

After the break, Cyrus Christie tested David Raya with a long range effort, but that was to be a rare attempt on goal for the Whites.

Dasilva fired narrowly wide on 53 minutes before forcing Rodak into a low save as the Bees attacked with intent and tempo.

Jensen was the next to test the woodwork, his clever shot from the edge of the area squirming through Rodak's hands and onto the post before rolling along the line.

Dasilva, Watkins and then Jensen all tested the overworked Rodak's concentration with a flurry of efforts as the visitors' goalkeeper led a charmed life.

The closest Fulham came to an effort on goal came in the 87th minute when Anthony Knockaert fired over the bar as Fulham threw men forward in a desperate search for a leveller.

They managed just two efforts on target and Brentford's only regret was that they did not push the goal difference total up.

But the more they pressed the more Brentford broke at speed with real intent, with Benrahma and Mbeumo working well around the fulcrum of Watkins.

Fulham looked disjointed and short on confidence as the game progressed, with Aleksandar Mitrovic cutting an increasingly frustrated figure as he was outmarked by Jansson and Ethan Pinnock.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/brentford-climb-top-six-after-winning-west-london-derby-against-fulham#HRecVRdFOdSAMWIy.99

WhiteJC

Cottage Talk Full Time: Brentford vs. Fulham

Take a listen to a podcast that focuses on Fulham Football Club.

In this episode, co-host Mike Gregg, who was at Griffin Park, shared his initial reaction to Fulham's pathetic performance in their 1-0 loss to Brentford. Mike does not hold back his feelings on this loss for Fulham. He gave his thoughts on the players, but also gave his view on Scott Parker's role in this loss. Lastly, Mike talked about what really bothered him after the match, and it deals with the Fulham head coach.

I want to also mention that you can listen to the show by following this link...
https://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2019/12/14/21021951/cottage-talk-full-time-brentford-vs-fulham

WhiteJC

Attn: Friends Of Fulham

Brentford 1 Fulham 0

So how did that all work out for you today?

Copy. Paste. Enjoy.....:

https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2019/12/14/attn-friends-of-fulham/

WhiteJC

Thomas Frank hails 'one of best' Brentford displays of his tenure as Fulham are floored

Thomas Frank described his team's performance as "outstanding" after they outplayed Fulham to win Saturday's west London derby.

Brentford bossed most of the game and were full value for the three points – Bryan Mbeumo's first half goal settling the outcome.

But it was the least the Bees deserved for their overall superiority against a disappointing Fulham, who have now lost three games in a week.

"A really, really outstanding performance – I must say throughout 90 minutes," said the Bees boss.

"I'm a little bit lost for words because it was really good. I was thinking: 'What should I say to the boys in the dressing room?' And I just said 'Well done. That was a top, top, top performance."

Asked how he rated it among all the wins he has enjoyed since taking over at Griffin Park, Frank said:

"It was definitely one of the best.

"We will celebrate tonight because it was a big win. It was the last west London derby here against Fulham and we did everything to make it magical and I think we did that."

The Dane continued: "It's always tricky playing against a relegated Premier League side. We know they are going for a big push and they still have a really good squad and some really top players out there.

"So against a top side that played, I must say, earlier in the season some of the best football in this division, [I'm pleased] how we today outplayed them but most importantly outran them.

"I said to the players before the game that it's all about us but if we can outrun them today, you will win the game. It was a three game week and we had one day less in the turnaround [than Fulham] so I praised my staff for doing a top job to get them recovered and ready to go again.

"But we all know it's also about attitude. If we could run more than them, then the pressure counter-pressing, recovery runs, running at them on the counter to go for the goals, then we will win. They outran them today and that's what I'm most proud of. There was massive desire.

"It's really beautiful to watch and was fantastic to be part of."

Brentford face another big challenge next week, away to league leaders West Brom, and Frank thinks they will be more than ready for it.

"We have definitely at least one more level to go," he said. "If we want to go to West Brom and go for three points we have to put even more into it."

https://www.capitalfootball.co.uk/single-post/2019/12/15/Thomas-Frank-hails-one-of-best-Brentford-displays-of-his-tenure-as-Fulham-are-floored