watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Onomah to start against Leeds ?

Started by Whitesideup, December 15, 2019, 01:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitesideup

Can you drop him after he was probably our best midfielder against Brentford? If Reed and Arter are both fit (unlikely I guess) he is still in contention for a starting place given both have been out for a few weeks, Arter in particular.

Most of his good work was defensive, but occasionally tidy on the ball as well. However, IMO, does not create a lot. Maybe as he grows in confidence he can add a bit more of this as well.

LittleErn

From what I've heard, and seen from the highlights(?), he does seem to be improving as his confidence builds. Is he outstanding? Does he promise to be? Is he better than any of the other available midfielders?
Anyone who waas at the match yesterday have a view?

Matt10

He's not outstanding, but he got the job done. You can tell he's still building confidence as he's passing the ball backwards when he can turn, etc. His goal is to keep the ball moving and maintain possession. Fulham supporters will either have their mind made up regardless, or they'll give him a chance. Personally, I think he's done well, but if there are others available such as Reed, Arter and Reid (formation supporting), I'd choose them. For what little time Onomah has had, a good performance vs Brentford is good progression all things considered. I thought more would appreciate that considering he is a young English midfielder that is getting a run at things.

SP

I think so, lets hope he continues to progress as he gets more game time.  Just watched the highlights of Leeds v Cardiff - I think we'll be seeing a few goals at both ends on Saturday.

RaySmith

He's repayed the  manager's faith in him, and will be a useful squad player - has a  great attitude, and is improving all the time.
Well done.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Matt10 on December 15, 2019, 03:18:25 PM
He's not outstanding, but he got the job done. You can tell he's still building confidence as he's passing the ball backwards when he can turn, etc. His goal is to keep the ball moving and maintain possession. Fulham supporters will either have their mind made up regardless, or they'll give him a chance. Personally, I think he's done well, but if there are others available such as Reed, Arter and Reid (formation supporting), I'd choose them. For what little time Onomah has had, a good performance vs Brentford is good progression all things considered. I thought more would appreciate that considering he is a young English midfielder that is getting a run at things.

The difficulty is trying to stop the rolling wheel of critiscm as it speeds up after each game. Progress indeed, a work in progress by all accounts, and a part of the rebuild but too many people want the Prem now. I would suggest any sort of confidence to help nurture this work in progress will be hard to come by with the current defence and a lack of leadership on the pitch.
In saying all that though I liked the way Harrison Reed was settling in. A telling Championship midfield spine perhaps................... for next season.

millsy

Yes he was better yesterday and despite my misgivings about him, I found myself saying "well done Josh, that's more like it" a couple of times.

At the same time, I still have 3 main criticisms of his play:
1. He doesn't look for space and therefore make himself available to receive the ball
2. He saunters around and is regularly late to try to pick up his man
3. He invariably comes second in 50:50 challenges

Not trying to be unkind but just calling it as I've seen it. He has qualities but, given the above current weaknesses, we cannot afford to start him, at least until we have a ball-winner back in the side to gain/retain possession in midfield. So, for me, Reed or Arter ahead of Onomah and if he improves he must be back up for Cairney or Johannsen.

Meantime, as last 2 games, we will struggle and slip further.

Moltobueno

No from me.
Either play Cairney alongside Johansen and Reid in no.10 position in 4-2-3-1 or Kamara up front in 4-4-2 with Johansen and Cairney as CM's

Milo

Arter we saw in his first game for me.

bobby01

For those of you who see such improvement in him, please just look at the build up to the first goal. You have to forget about Mawson playing like my 90 year old mum. Josh was there kind of ambling around not knowing what to do watching things going on all around him. I don't think he was the worst yesterday but I saw little improvement in him, he just looked better because everyone else were diabolically bad.

All a matter of opinions I guess.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Milo

Quote from: bobby01 on December 15, 2019, 06:37:47 PM
For those of you who see such improvement in him, please just look at the build up to the first goal. You have to forget about Mawson playing like my 90 year old mum. Josh was there kind of ambling around not knowing what to do watching things going on all around him. I don't think he was the worst yesterday but I saw little improvement in him, he just looked better because everyone else were diabolically bad.

Agree.

Still think he only offers another body in midfield and an (often awry) six yard sideways pass.

Matt10

Quote from: bobby01 on December 15, 2019, 06:37:47 PM

This is a perfect example of what is wrong with those who want to judge players. You judge the 1%, i.e. the goals we concede or score, occurrences instead of judging the other 99% of the match the player takes part in.

If we were to judge every player based on what they're doing when we concede or score goals, we'd be a fickle bunch.

Just give credit where it's due. He improved based on how he was originally. The 90 minutes of all the matches are on the site, and it doesn't take long to see where he's improved and what he still needs to improve upon.

colinwhite

Hes steadily improved in the last games. Yesterday he played alongside Stef J in the deeper role with TC further forward . Although he was more comfortable in this role , TC looked a different player further forward and was poor.

ALG01

In answer to the op, i would drop him because he is not good enough.
Midfield of tom stef and bobby reid will decimate leeds
Onomah will be a spectator.

I saw the brentford game, onomah was at best ordinary and carries no threat, often out of position and the wrong side of his man, not my idea of a good game. Drop him, three starts, three defeats, if he starts v leeds it will be four on the spin. We can not have passengers against a team like them.

millsy

Nice summary ALG. Have to agree with your conclusion.

Spirit of 2000

Matt O'Riley is twice the player. Shows what Parker knows

filham

Time we saw Arter and Reed in contention for a midfield place.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on December 15, 2019, 09:36:00 PM
Based on what?

I'm not saying Josh is starting 11 material yet...Matt has had time to break through...and hasn't. Perhaps you could point to a specific game?

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Whitesideup

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on December 15, 2019, 10:39:11 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on December 15, 2019, 09:36:00 PM
Based on what?

I'm not saying Josh is starting 11 material yet...Matt has had time to break through...and hasn't. Perhaps you could point to a specific game?

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

I would love to agree but the cup performance from O'Riley though ok...ish...and against a good side, did not make me think that he should be starting games for us. I hope we get to see more of him, but maybe a loan spell somewhere may be the best solution. 

We Are Premier League

Slightly off topic but could Seri play in front of Cairney and Johansen in he returns in January...