News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Troubling and rather depressing words from Parker !

Started by Riversider, December 16, 2019, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

From the BBC website, following our match at Brentford,
And I quote,
Fulham head coach Scott Parker told BBC Radio London,
"After 20 minutes I sensed some nerves and we've lost 1-0 With a team who lack confidence a bit "
Unless I've totally interpreted those comments entirely the wrong way (which is entirely possible)
What the actual f*** is Parker doing to motivate the team prior to sending them out to compete ?
22 games into the season and we lack confidence,  why ?
Is it any wonder why we start every game under Parker on the back foot ?
His tactics and management of games is awful, but to admit to Radio London that you can't motivate the team and give them confidence is a new low for me,
It almost reads as though it's his own confidence that is shot to pieces,
Everything in The Fulham garden is apparently not rosy at the moment behind the scenes,  concerning times.

Maidstone Lee

Think a change of manager is in order unfortunately.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Sting of the North

It sounds to me that you are confusing lack of confidence with lack of motivation. They are not the same thing. There's much to be unhappy about at the moment, but this to me just sounds like a massive overreaction to a very non-controversial statement from Parker.

In my opinion.

filham

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 16, 2019, 05:02:17 PM
It sounds to me that you are confusing lack of confidence with lack of motivation. They are not the same thing. There's much to be unhappy about at the moment, but this to me just sounds like a massive overreaction to a very non-controversial statement from Parker.

In my opinion.
Yes, look at the post match interview with Parker on the OFAL and you will see he is as disappointed with the result
as we are and he comes across as being committed and honest, and refuses to lay blame in public at any of his players. I suspect though on the training ground this week he may be giving them a hard time.

Things are not going the way we all expected but important that we stay behind Parker.

Baszab

Stop worrying
It will all be sorted before the next game
Oh hang on a minute ......it's Leeds

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Baszab on December 16, 2019, 05:25:22 PM
Stop worrying
It will all be sorted before the next game
Oh hang on a minute ......it's Leeds

Don't worry about Leeds we will murder them

It's Luton, Stoke & Reading whom we play afterwards which worry me....

WindyCity

This has to be disconcerting if our coach is making these statements publicly.  Better policy might be to keep it zipped.

Lack of confidence and motivation has to be on the players, I would think.  Sure, the coach is there to give direction and inspire, but if pro athletes can't find the motivation to produce work effort worthy of their pay grade and a desire to always want to win, then there can't be much hope for a successful season or result.  It's hard to believe these players have confidence and/or 'nerves' issues.  If true, this team is in a lot of trouble.  A LOT!!!

Sting of the North

Quote from: WindyCity on December 16, 2019, 05:48:32 PM
This has to be disconcerting if our coach is making these statements publicly.  Better policy might be to keep it zipped.

Lack of confidence and motivation has to be on the players, I would think.  Sure, the coach is there to give direction and inspire, but if pro athletes can't find the motivation to produce work effort worthy of their pay grade and a desire to always want to win, then there can't be much hope for a successful season or result.  It's hard to believe these players have confidence and/or 'nerves' issues.  If true, this team is in a lot of trouble.  A LOT!!!

Again, according to the quote by the OP SP didn't say that the players were not motivated. In case they are not I also don't agree however that it is only up to the the players to motivate themselves. It's a team effort involving both the players and the coaching staff. Everyone has to take responsibility for themselves. Except the manager, who is specifically paid and tasked to take responsibility for the performance of the team as a whole. Not always fair, but comes with the job.

Lastly, don't think it is difficult to believe that pro athletes have confidence and/or "nerves" issues. They are after all working in a high pressure environment. Loss of confidence happens to most players from time to time I would imagine. Even more so when things are not going your way both individually and as a team. It can easily become a negative spiral, and the trick is of course to break it as soon as possible. That's what Parker has to do now, by whatever means possible, be it by tactical instructions, formations, motivational speeches or just pure luck, doesn't matter very much in the short run (but may of course be crucial in the long run). 

Woolly Mammoth

It is easy to fall into the trap of dissecting every mistake on the field of play and every word uttered by the manager. Leeds surrendered a 3 0 lead on their own patch and conceded the last goal v ten men.
Nobody is perfect and the first 90 mins are the most important.
A week in football is a long time. Let's relax and get off the blokes back, let's see if he can sort it out, and a Leeds scalp will go a long way.
Anyone would think we were in the bottom three.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Worcesterwhite

I too was troubled to hear his interview, not just the above mentioned words but the whole lot, it sounded like he was trying to convince himself that he can turn things around and if he can't convince himself hows he supposed to put confidence into the team. Walking the plank with the sharks circling comes to mind.
This weekends game could be a horror show, team with no confidence against a team flying ....

Riversider

Quote from: Worcesterwhite on December 16, 2019, 07:43:53 PM
I too was troubled to hear his interview, not just the above mentioned words but the whole lot, it sounded like he was trying to convince himself that he can turn things around and if he can't convince himself hows he supposed to put confidence into the team. Walking the plank with the sharks circling comes to mind.
This weekends game could be a horror show, team with no confidence against a team flying ....

+1 👍🏻

Whitesideup

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 16, 2019, 07:12:14 PM

Again, according to the quote by the OP SP didn't say that the players were not motivated. In case they are not I also don't agree however that it is only up to the the players to motivate themselves. It's a team effort involving both the players and the coaching staff. Everyone has to take responsibility for themselves. Except the manager, who is specifically paid and tasked to take responsibility for the performance of the team as a whole. Not always fair, but comes with the job.

Lastly, don't think it is difficult to believe that pro athletes have confidence and/or "nerves" issues. They are after all working in a high pressure environment. Loss of confidence happens to most players from time to time I would imagine. Even more so when things are not going your way both individually and as a team. It can easily become a negative spiral, and the trick is of course to break it as soon as possible. That's what Parker has to do now, by whatever means possible, be it by tactical instructions, formations, motivational speeches or just pure luck, doesn't matter very much in the short run (but may of course be crucial in the long run). 
Sting of the North - in fact he said the opposite. Scotty said there was no lack of motivation, and that the effort levels were ok. I agree with him. What we lacked were ideas and an attacking strategy to break down a good, well-organized defence. We lacked a defensive coherence to prevent them from having at least 3 or 4 goal-scoring opportunities that should have made the game much safer from them. Publicly this is down to a "lack of confidence". But Scotty is taking full responsiblility, which I assume and hope means that he understands this  and does not simply put it down to "a lack of confidence". Because methinks it will take more than a Duncan Ferguson type of team talk to sort us out. If I'm wrong, and if Everton don't persist with Big Dunc, can he come to us?

YankeeJim

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 16, 2019, 07:36:16 PM
It is easy to fall into the trap of dissecting every mistake on the field of play and every word uttered by the manager. Leeds surrendered a 3 0 lead on their own patch and conceded the last goal v ten men.
Nobody is perfect and the first 90 mins are the most important.
A week in football is a long time. Let's relax and get off the blokes back, let's see if he can sort it out, and a Leeds scalp will go a long way.
Anyone would think we were in the bottom three.

So your saying Leeds used one match to off load all their poor play and bad luck? Look out on Saturday.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

hovewhite

As ever the normal panic soon as we lose a couple of games.

bog

The tone of his words worries me. I am very concerned over the game with Leeds. The pace they play at could cause havoc. I do not see a Fulhamish coming up. After that Millwall game I think most of us thought blimey guvnor here we go! Right in the very next....no. Worried is me that we just fall away into mid table. Slav anyone?

092.gif

HV71

Slav anyone?

Yes Bog - in a heartbeat. Sadly , as MJG says on another thread, that ship has sailed .

I'm for sticking until the end (or near the end ) of the season .

toshes mate

Jokanovic likes a challenge but the Khans, apparently, do not, and so I cannot see how or why the Serb would return to us as things stand.

I am also increasingly concerned by Parker's words and not just about the Brentford game.  I was concerned during our four game run where his comments seemed out of step with the reality of the performances.  We were not playing well but getting results as distinct from not playing well and losing.  I haven't even tried deciphering or dissecting his 'coded' messages because there is a flatness of tone which give away the whole monotone picture that is his style.  He is just not an inspiring kind of character is my honest opinion of him, and I am really disappointed in him.  His 'togetherness' routine I found laughable in a kind of tragicomedy way. 

WindyCity

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 16, 2019, 07:12:14 PM

IDK Sting.  I still stand by my post.  Firstly, I just don't think a manager should go public with these sorts of admissions.  Just does not inspire anybody at all, the club, the supporters.  Next, if he senses 'nerves' and lack of confidence, just where does 'motivation' fit into that?  Maybe this is a FFC "thing"?  I recall clubhouse consternation at the start of last years' campaign.  Just what is it with FFC and this clubs' current makeup?  As a fan, we should expect professional, highly paid athletes to perform at a high level, with confidence and certainly with motivation.  I don't think anyone faults a poor result if the 'effort' is there.  Sometimes you just get beaten by better talent, no matter how hard you try.  I think most would agree here that FFC has "talent" enough to be a strong team against any club in this league, and should be a side looking at top of table.  Yet this team is a mere mid to lower table side based on results so far.  That just doesn't add up.

Riversider

Let's hope Parker can motivate himself this weekend to get the boys all fired up and raring to go from the very first whistle, I'm sick to death of having to witness a lacklustre opening 20 minutes,
We cannot start against Leeds as we did against QPR,
Bielsa will have Leeds ready, will Parker have us ready ?