watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

From short ball to long ball

Started by Matt10, December 21, 2019, 06:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

I hope Parker takes into account what he learned from his team today. They benefit far more from intermediate and direct long ball tactics where we find Mitro, Cav or Reid, and play off the 2nd balls. It's not beautiful football, but it's effective.

The good thing is that because we have been such a high possession team this season, our players are all comfortable on the ball with their first and second touches. We won more 50/50 balls today than I had seen all season. When we recycled backwards, we would quickly send a driven long ball down the sides, or direct to our forward and wingers.

Overall, much more exciting for the viewers, but even more effective for our players. I hope that Parker uses this as the plan A going forward, versus reserving it for when we play teams like Leeds, which aren't many. This strategy complements everything he has built, and it would be a shame if we do not take advantage of it going forward.

SuffolkWhite

Better tempo and 100% commitment from the players today. A few stand outs today for me Onamah, Reid and Mitro of course but Christie did ok to.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Southcoastffc

Jean Tigana had it right. "It doesn't matter if it's a long ball or a short ball. What matters is that it's the right ball."  So, horses for courses, sometimes mix it up. Today against these opponents, short balls from Rodak saw them press quickly, 2nd half I don't think Rodak played one short.   Also today, their CBs just couldn't handle Mitro whereas Brentford stifled him completely. So, credit to Scott Parker et al for tactical acumen.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Luka

Just 35% possession, more direct, faster, and importantly for Parker's popularity an entertaining three points.
Hope he learned something today.

davew

Quote from: Luka on December 21, 2019, 07:16:39 PM
Just 35% possession, more direct, faster, and importantly for Parker's popularity an entertaining three points.
Hope he learned something today.
Not all about possession otherwise we would be in the top 2!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

bobby01

I thought bobby Reid made a massive difference today, he was buzzing everywhere
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Jims Dentist

For us this season having more possession has often worked against us.
It's stating what we all know, but the opposition plan for this and stifle us.
With the pace we have got,  Cav,  BDR, AK and when he is switched on Knocky, we are far better suited to counter than to try to break down a massed defence.
However, if opponents park the bus, I suppose they then dictate how the game will go.
Perhaps this is why being away is sometimes easier.