https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Give us your memories of Luton Town

Started by love4ffc, December 23, 2019, 12:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Quote from: Roberty on December 23, 2019, 01:25:07 AM
Eric Morecambe was their most famous fan

Saw him arrive before one game in his stylish Rolls, pipe & wearing a sheepskin coat as was the fashion back then.  As others have already said, we played them a lot in the 70s & it always seemed to kick-off.  Why the trouble, I have no idea?

love4ffc

Quote from: Holders on December 23, 2019, 03:34:16 PM
Quote from: love4ffc on December 23, 2019, 02:56:30 PM
Quote from: Holders on December 23, 2019, 09:07:29 AM
A home game against them back in the 70s was the first (only) time I've been chucked out.

Haha, why aren't we hearing that story  :003:

I suggested that the parents of a big fat police sergeant, who'd come to sort out a scuffle, weren't married. He took exception to that, grabbed me by the collar and frogmarched me to the booking room under the Stevenage Road stand. Managed to sneak back in about 10 minutes before FT when they opened the Hammy End gates up. Happy days!

That made me chuckle  :005:  Ahhhh, the stories of ones youth  :dft012:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

ffcne

Moody Hat trick away   under Keegan i think?

Fernhurst

We sold Malcom Macdonald to Luton (idiots) and although my memory is fading these days I'm sure he came back to the cottage between 69 and 71 in a cup game.
My one and only memory of the game was Malcom picking the ball on left kicking toward the Putney and simply sprinting past our entire defence before slotting for the only goal of the game.
Can someone confirm?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

RaySmith

Fond memories of Malcolm Macdonald as a Fulham player and manager - who used to warm up with the players before the game, though , sorry, not Fernhurst's specific memory.

I do have a strong memory of a game v Luton, though, in 1998, losing to them 3-1 at the  Cottage, at at a time when we were winning most games, and looking on track for promotion, which we got in 2000.

Living in Glasgow with my wife, at the time, I was back in London for  very sad reasons - my Dad went into hospital, then died, of prostate cancer,  not long after my Mum's death. Staying with my brother at the family home in south-east London, it seemed an opportunity to escape from my grief by going and see  this brilliant Fulham side  at home to Luton, and where my Dad had first taken me all those years ago.

So I had  few drinks and set off for the Cottage, buying a bottle of vodka along the way.When Luton's third goal went in, I turned to the celebrating Luton fans behind the  Putney End goal, from my spot standing in The Enclosure and  did a v sign, maybe more than one, and was quickly removed by stewards.
In the end my brother had to come and get me from Fulham police station in his car, which he wasn't very pleased about. At least I wasn't charged with anything.

love4ffc

Quote from: RaySmith on December 23, 2019, 06:39:22 PM
Fond memories of Malcolm Macdonald as a Fulham player and manager - who used to warm up with the players before the game, though , sorry, not Fernhurst's specific memory.

I do have a strong memory of a game v Luton, though, in 1998, losing to them 3-1 at the  Cottage, at at a time when we were winning most games, and looking on track for promotion, which we got in 2000.

Living in Glasgow with my wife, at the time, I was back in London for  very sad reasons - my Dad went into hospital, then died, of prostate cancer,  not long after my Mum's death. Staying with my brother at the family home in south-east London, it seemed an opportunity to escape from my grief by going and see  this brilliant Fulham side  at home to Luton, and where my Dad had first taken me all those years ago.

So I had  few drinks and set off for the Cottage, buying a bottle of vodka along the way.When Luton's third goal went in, I turned to the celebrating Luton fans behind the  Putney End goal, from my spot standing in The Enclosure and  did a v sign, maybe more than one, and was quickly removed by stewards.
In the end my brother had to come and get me from Fulham police station in his car, which he wasn't very pleased about. At least I wasn't charged with anything.
What is it makes Fulham fans behave due to Luton  :005:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

BarneyTravers

Heard a few tales about that battle at 'The Hatters' club referred to earlier...not for the faint hearted..my first trip was in our relegation season 79-80..we lost four nil from memory....was at the height of the Two Tone era and Luton had loads of skins...remember them all piling into our end as we left at the end...we had coaches from outside Putney Bridge Station that day.....very edgy.

coyw

Holders

Quote from: love4ffc on December 23, 2019, 05:24:45 PM
A home game against them back in the 70s was the first (only) time I've been chucked out.

I suggested that the parents of a big fat police sergeant, who'd come to sort out a scuffle, weren't married. He took exception to that, grabbed me by the collar and frogmarched me to the booking room under the Stevenage Road stand. Managed to sneak back in about 10 minutes before FT when they opened the Hammy End gates up. Happy days!

Can anyone help me out with what year it might have been and what the score was? It was an evening game maybe 1972-75 ish.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

A very old but magnificent memory.
!949 and we were chasing the leaders for a promotion spot to give us our first ever time in the top flight. At one stage we were 8 points behind leaders Southampton and with only 2 points for a win catching them seemed impossible. The Easter game at Luton was critical and we were nervous because our strong right back Harry Freeman was injured and the reserve replacement ,Lewin, was struggling a little.

My Friend and I cycled from Fulham to Luton and back to see the game which we won and Lewin had a good game.
Remenber stopping at Marble Arch on the way home to buy a Clasified Evening News at about 6pm to see that other results had gone our way and that promotion was looking a real possibility.

We were champions that season and perhaps the Luton game was the one that gave us all belief.

We stopped at Marb

keith

Quote from: Holders on December 24, 2019, 09:51:08 AM

Can anyone help me out with what year it might have been and what the score was? It was an evening game maybe 1972-75 ish.
Could have been 72/3, lost 1_0 or, 73/74 when we won 2_1 with both goals coming from Barry Lloyd ?.

Holders

Quote from: keith on December 24, 2019, 12:01:05 PM

Could have been 72/3, lost 1_0 or, 73/74 when we won 2_1 with both goals coming from Barry Lloyd ?.

Thanks. I've a hunch it must have been the latter as I think we won.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Holders on December 24, 2019, 12:44:26 PM

1-0 down at half time and then the White Pele/Puffer Lloyd took over.

Holders

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 24, 2019, 12:54:20 PM

He was on target - twice - in one game? That must have been while I was outside...

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Holders on December 24, 2019, 01:39:51 PM

He was on target - twice - in one game? That must have been while I was outside...
I think that everyone was rather shocked but, as I remember, they were good finishes as well.

keith

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on December 24, 2019, 02:18:56 PM
Quote from: Holders on December 24, 2019, 01:39:51 PM

I think that everyone was rather shocked but, as I remember, they were good finishes as well.
brilliant finishes. I seem to remember that Alan Mullery was out injured for the game, and I have a feeling Barry Friend played in the game. Maybe making his debut ?.

ALG01

Quote from: f321ffc on December 23, 2019, 10:30:47 AM
1970 season I think night game went in pub a couple of hours before ko came out of pub to a couple of inches of snow game in doubt think we ended up losing 1-0
Also away game a few years later in their social club before game all very friendly then something happened and it ended up in a massive punch up, oh those were the days.

if you recall the game in the snow then you will also recall that the floddloghts failed for quite a long time during the game and if memory served it was when macdonald still played for them because I am sure he scored!

dorsetwhite

November 1968 Luton town 6 ware town 1. 1st round of the FA cup.my uncle played for ware. So 10 family members went to see the matc. It was one sided, but my uncle enjoyed the match. Never been there since. However fond memory

Dr Know

I remember going to Luton away Boxing Day 1973 , game ended 1-1 , I'm sure it was an 11-15am ko, can anybody on here confirm please ?