watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker " a little disappointed"

Started by Keefy, December 27, 2019, 05:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keefy

I wonder what would make him very disappointed. I wonder how Ferguson would feel after such a "performance" ( read shambles

AnOldBrownie

Scott Parker is about appearances...obviously.

You telling me the guy that grabbed Arter by his kit and yelled at him wouldn't be going in on the defense while they are in the locker room?

Stop looking for things to complain about.

Keefy

Thanks for your advice OldBrownie = but I don't need it. 

Keefy

Going into the locker room as you put it is a bit late. Rather like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Strong managers in my ( 40 years) experience do not have to shout the loudest. The best have a respect that demands it own attention.Maybe Parker can shout but as far as I can seen his plan is not working. I was in Bolton for the evening game when Roy first took charge and it was plain to see a defense that knew what it was supposed to do. If Mawson and co cannot safely play out from the back then its time to adopt a system that they can manage without gifting the opposition a two or three goal lead. A good manager would not continually repeat to same mistakes and expect different results.     

Arthur

Wasn't Sir Alex typically protective of his team and players in public? I thought so but I stand to be corrected if wrong.

Ferguson (were he our manager) may well have thought elements of yesterday's performance to be shambolic, but I'm not convinced that we would have heard him use the word. In other words, I'm not too fussed that Parker hasn't used a stronger adjective than 'little'. He wasn't wildly pleased, so I'm going to assume that he'll try to do something about the shortcomings he identified. That's what matters more.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Arthur on December 27, 2019, 06:32:15 PM
Wasn't Sir Alex typically protective of his team and players in public? I thought so but I stand to be corrected if wrong.

Ferguson (were he our manager) may well have thought elements of yesterday's performance to be shambolic, but I'm not convinced that we would have heard him use the word. In other words, I'm not too fussed that Parker hasn't used a stronger adjective than 'little'. He wasn't wildly pleased, so I'm going to assume that he'll try to do something about the shortcomings he identified. That's what matters more.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction is for the Reading game, indeed twitter land might be full of reaction now, as this is the first time Parker has 'outed', although mildly, his players. Somebody pointed out yesterday that some of the players were scolding each other on the pitch and the late, late equaliser had a few absentees in the celebrations. The reaction of course can go two ways, the squad splinters, bad news all round, or the squad unites and shows everybody what the papers and pundits were banging on about.

sarnian

Quote from: Keefy on December 27, 2019, 05:50:35 PM
I wonder what would make him very disappointed. I wonder how Ferguson would feel after such a "performance" ( read shambles
Actually Ferguson said exactly the same years ago when hammered by Southampton. What managers say to the public and what is actually said behind closed doors is two completely different things.

Whitesideup

Quote from: sarnian on December 27, 2019, 07:16:40 PM
Actually Ferguson said exactly the same years ago when hammered by Southampton. What managers say to the public and what is actually said behind closed doors is two completely different things.
Absolutely. First rule of management should be " Don't slag your players off publicly".

Hatch007

Quote from: Keefy on December 27, 2019, 06:15:43 PM
Thanks for your advice OldBrownie = but I don't need it.
Except you do need it because your 40 years experience has taught you nothing about man-management if you think publicly criticising players is prudent

WindyCity

Quote from: Whitesideup on December 27, 2019, 10:50:31 PM
Absolutely. First rule of management should be " Don't slag your players off publicly".

While I agree with you that publicly slagging off players is unwise, this isn't the first time Parker has said something questionable.  Sometimes it's simply better to keep it buttoned up. 

Sting of the North

Quote from: WindyCity on December 28, 2019, 05:17:07 PM

While I agree with you that publicly slagging off players is unwise, this isn't the first time Parker has said something questionable.  Sometimes it's simply better to keep it buttoned up.

Should he have been completely silent? Would make for strange post game interviews.

Also, I think that everyone will seem to say questionable things if every sentence is over analyzed. In my opinion people's reactions to what is said seem to mostly correlate to their feelings in general towards the person who said it, and the games after which it is said. You'll never win whatever you say after a string of mostly poor results. People will keep dissecting and interpreting to fit their negative feelings.

The Rational Fan

It seems the Luton Manager has told his forwards that Mawson is not great at taking the ball out from the back and if pressured may make an error.

Clearly, the Fulham coaching staff didn't tell Mawson the same thing before the game and thinks Mawson can take it out from the back.

The Luton Manager was right and Parker was wrong overestimating Mawson's short passing skills. I really doubt Fulham needed to take such risks against Luton to break the press.

A simple tactic that would work for Fulham is "Kick it to Mitro". I'm sure there are better tactics than "Kick it to Mitro", but we are only seeing worse tactics.

RaySmith

I think 'slightly disappointed ' is an appropriate comment for a well fought away point, where we shot ourselves in the foot a couple of times in conceding very soft goals, and generally  looked vulnerable  defensively against the luton attack, but fought back to gain a last minute point.

A lot to make any manager feel both positive and negative re his team and the way they played.

The worst scenario would be to concede early through  defensive   c**** up,  and for that to make the team fall to pieces, and  not get back in the game, but Fulham certainly didn't  do this, and   came  back three times: very commendable, no matter who the opposition - and Luton had already given us a game back at the Cottage.

toshes mate

In his pay walled post match interview Parker appears to say (if my ears heard it properly) 'bitterly disappointed'.  Does that change anything in relation to this thread, I wonder, or should we be looking more closely at what actually happens during games for our clues as to what good or bad things he and his teams are providing?  It is not so much the words pre or post game that matter but rather more the games themselves that speak loudest.  My assessment of Parker is most affected by what influence he has on performances and the performance against Luton, the last minute equalizer notwithstanding, was dire for a lot of reasons, not least the defensive lapses.  We panic far too often and far too easily for my liking and it hasn't just been against Luton on Boxing Day by any means.       

bobby01

I hope I am wrong but last year there appeared to be a split in the players ie the newcomers in one group and the old guard in another. I get the feeling that there is unrest again now, not necessarily a new player old players split but some lack of cohesion at the moment. As we know stefjo is not slow coming forward and I wonder why his sudden absence from the team has occurred.
No facts nothing to back this up other than just a feeling watching them and how they react to one and other
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

WindyCity

Quote from: Sting of the North on December 28, 2019, 06:24:18 PM

Should he have been completely silent? Would make for strange post game interviews.

Also, I think that everyone will seem to say questionable things if every sentence is over analyzed. In my opinion people's reactions to what is said seem to mostly correlate to their feelings in general towards the person who said it, and the games after which it is said. You'll never win whatever you say after a string of mostly poor results. People will keep dissecting and interpreting to fit their negative feelings.

I still stand by my post.  Oft times much better to just keep it zipped.  I've seen it soooo many times.  Whether a politician, a celebrity of some sort, an athlete or coach, any public figure, many times they are their own worst enemy, constantly inserting foot into mouth.  As far as Parker is concerned, I think he can do much better in his post game chinwags that don't totally destroy confidence amongst FFC supporters.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: WindyCity on December 29, 2019, 03:56:36 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on December 28, 2019, 06:24:18 PM

I still stand by my post.  Oft times much better to just keep it zipped.  I've seen it soooo many times.  Whether a politician, a celebrity of some sort, an athlete or coach, any public figure, many times they are their own worst enemy, constantly inserting foot into mouth.  As far as Parker is concerned, I think he can do much better in his post game chinwags that don't totally destroy confidence amongst FFC supporters.

What would you have said?   And don't say "I don't know, I'm not the manager".

keithh

We won today, great.

So pleased with the first half but bitterly disappointed with our lacklustre performance & time wasting during the second half.

RaySmith

We ground it out against a determined stoke team, with some quality players, after dominating the first half, and should have converted more of our chances.

Well done Fulham.

Woolly Mammoth

You can call it an ugly victory or whatever you wish, but is still a victory against a team that should avoid the drop. That's three precious points, and a a three game unbeaten run, and a rare clean sheet, while others are losing around us. We are nowhere near the finished article and we must accept that.
So no complaints from me, it was never going to be easy, so let's embrace this victory.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.