https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (01/11/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 10, 2010, 07:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=220574

Fulham - Luke Young Targeted!
In a strange quirk of fate, Fulham are linked with a move for somebody who Mark Hughes lambasted not forty-eight hours ago.

After a poor tackle saw Carlos Salcido sidelined for several weeks, Mark Hughes wasn`t particularly complimentary about the Aston Villa defender, Luke Young!

Therefore, to see in the tabloid media that Luke Young could well be a transfer target for Mark Hughes was a little, how you might say, surprising.

Apparently, Hughes is keen to revisit the interest he showed back in the summer when he tried to sign the defender for something akin to £2 million.

But, any ignition of his interest in Young could well be complicated by the fact that the defender, from being out of the picture under Martin O`Neill, is now a regular choice under Gerrard Houllier.

At 31 years of age, Young, we believe, expressed a desire to return to London over the summer, I guess we`ll see if that desire still burns bright!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=220574#ixzz14rXOWtwI

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/11/09/fulham-boss-mark-hughes-joins-ref-s-debate-64767-27628705/?

Fulham boss Mark Hughes joins ref's debate

MARK Hughes says Fulham are getting a raw deal from referees because they are not one of the top sides in the Premier League.

Stoke City boss Tony Pulis has been arguing that his side regularly came off second best with officials against the glamour clubs and the Fulham boss sympathises.

"Do big clubs get the benefit of referees' decisions?," Hughes asked. "As a player at Man United, I would have said absolutely not but as a manager of clubs that have gone up against the so-called big four, then I have a different view possibly.

"I think there's a natural tendency, call it human nature, that the consequences of giving a big decision against one of the big clubs are too much for some referees to take.

"There's no way I would question their integrity, because it's split-second decisions but sometimes you take the easy option. It can be frustrating. You just want consistency.

"Too many key decisions have been given incorrectly of late. I'm not saying for one minute we get badly treated by decisions but we've had a number that have gone against us. But it's not just against top four clubs, it happens as an away side too."

Hughes stops short of endorsing Pulis' idea of giving marks to officials, however.

The Whites boss said: "We've got assessors that allow you to have a view, but maybe the level of frustration you try to impart to these people when they ask for your opinion sometimes isn't reflected back in the reports they file. Sometimes you think 'What's the point of doing it?'

"But whether or not a table for referees would be the answer, I'm not too sure. I don't know if it would change the shape or level of refereeing.

"I think the number of quality referees aren't quite there and I think they maybe push guys that aren't quite ready."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1328127/CHELSEA-v-Fulham-Nicolas-Anelka-Alex-fitness-race-derby.html?

CHELSEA v Fulham: Nicolas Anelka and Alex in fitness race to make west London derby

Chelsea have fresh injury doubts over defender Alex (knee) and Nicolas Anelka (back) in the run-up to the west London derby against Fulham at Stamford Bridge.

Midfielder Frank Lampard remains sidelined with a tendon problem but Michael Essien has recovered from the toe injury that kept him out of the Liverpool game on Sunday.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba will play despite being diagnosed with a bout of malaria.

Provisional squad: Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Alex, Cole, Obi, Essien, Ramires, Zhirkov, Drogba, Anelka, Kalou, Malouda, Drogba, Turnbull, Van Aanholt, McEachran, Borini, Bruma, Ferriera, Sturridge, Kakuta

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1328127/CHELSEA-v-Fulham-Nicolas-Anelka-Alex-fitness-race-derby.html?#ixzz14rY6RIKx

WhiteJC

http://cottagers.blogspot.com/2010/11/snapping-at-your-heels-ful-1-1-avl.html?

Craven Cottagers
Following the 2007/8, 2008/9, 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons at Craven Cottage - recounted by season ticket holders who aren't actually Fulham fans.

Snapping at your heels - FUL 1-1 AVL

A very sloppy, one-paced Fulham escaped with perhaps a point more than they deserved at weekend, although the fact that they scored another late late goal - the fourth of the season - is a sign of a growing determination.

A rip roaring, end to end first 15 minutes descended into sloppy passages of play from both sides, with the odd half chance rewarding any coherent moves. Then Villa stepped up the game a little on 40 minutes and a moment after Schwarzer saved well from Delfonso cutting in from the left - Albrighton did the same from a sumptuous long pass that caught Salcido completely out of position and the young winger put Villa ahead.

Then after the break, with a tidy lead in their back pockets, the Villa midfield went into overdrive, snapping the heels of Fulham players whenever they were in possession and only allowing Hughes to pass it out or Schwarzer to boot the ball upfield in the vague direction of Zoltan Gera's head.

The youthful and impressive Villa midfield didn't look like tiring and most of the long balls were just bouncing off Richard Dunne's bonce, so Hughes tried something different by bringing AJ on. Unfortunately the long balls continued. In fairness, Johnson did fashion a couple of chances but fluffed the best one by failing to bring the ball under control when trying to go around Friedel.

During this non-dangerous pressure period, Villa were playing on the attack and had Agbonlahor been playing he would have been filling his boots in the disagreeable way he did during this fixture last season. But Ashley Young proved slightly less deadly and kept Fulham in it.

I barely celebrated the equaliser when it came. It was just so ridiculous a thing to happen. It certainly didn't look like it was going to happen when Duff shoved Young over near his own corner two minutes into injury time. Duff's experience won a free kick down the other end of the pitch, in what felt like the sixth minute of four minutes added on. Murphy floated it over, it kind of hit Hangeland and seemed to rest in the net with no-one really reacting. The goal was all the more odd considering that some parts of the Hammy End were getting ready to boo the team off.

This is exactly the kind of game that Bobby Zamora would have thrived in, but Dempsey's close control is not as adept, his strengths lie elsewhere, and Fulham missed an 'out' ball during the whole game given Villa's tenaciousness. It was also a game where the tidy, patient passing play that we'd come to expect over the last couple of seasons more or less went out of the window.

An old Villa supporting friend had come along from Newquay to this game and was sat in the Putney End. The conclusion to the match was magnified threefold for the poor bugger given that his other half had bought him the tickets for his birthday and I had given him a betting slip for the correct score of Fulham 0-1 Aston Villa. He found something to enjoy in the day though - it was only the second time he'd been able to see his team play. I remember once when we were living together in Preston he was trying to get someone to go and watch Villa at Ewood Park with him, but couldn't get a partner in crime. He was mightily glad he missed that match as Blackburn routed them 5-0.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=220584

Today is the Day, Today is the Day!
How far away are we from Chelsea?

About a mile I hear you say!

No! I mean in terms of how good we are!

Our first eleven may be okay but do we have enough strength overall if we are to get our first away win?

This would be the best place to get it!

Chelsea will be up for it after their 2-0 loss to Liverpool at the weekend, can we beat them when they`re down?

Let`s go for it lads what have we got to lose!

Could it be another draw?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=220584#ixzz14rYvZtsV

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=840199&sec=england&cc=5739&cc=5739

Everton boss calls for clubs to support referees

Everton manager David Moyes believes managers and players have a big part to play in helping referees after his Stoke counterpart Tony Pulis suggested a relegation system for match officials.

Pulis feels aggrieved at the number of decisions which have gone against his side in the Premier League this season and suggested a system where clubs vote on the performance of referees, with the bottom three relegated at the end of the season. But Moyes believes the onus should be on clubs to help officials rather than rate them.

"I think the managers and clubs could help the referees, but it would need them to be willing to listen and hear what we've got to say," he said. "We had one of the referees in last week and we really enjoyed having him. I think he probably enjoyed his time here as well. I think we could learn from each other.

"But at this present time it is hard enough to get them on the telephone after a game at the weekend to hear their answer on something, so I don't think they'll be putting themselves forward too quickly.

"I think the referees are full-time but they only ever train together once a fortnight. They keep themselves fit but they do no tactical training, no game training."

Fulham manager Mark Hughes admitted he was unsure of Pulis' idea. "I don't know whether it would change the level of refereeing,'' Hughes said. "It is a difficult job and not one I would like myself.

"What they are lacking at the moment is quality of numbers. The numbers of quality referees aren't quite there and maybe they are trying to push referees who aren't quite ready for the significance of Premier League games.''

But Blackpool manager Ian Holloway has come out in favour of Pulis' suggestion.

"How must Stoke City fans feel?" he said. "All you're hoping at the moment is that all these wrongs balance out, but what if they don't?

"I'm just saying use common sense, use the technology and I think it would solve itself. The public don't want to hear us rant and rave. They are sick and fed up of hearing me say about referees. What do I know?

"All I do know is that the people at the top of the game are not running it right. I want them to understand that it is so stupid what is happening.

"Human beings are making errors and we are judging them with machinery, but we won't let them use that machinery to make the right decisions.

"You've got to be a fool not to do that, so why don't we do it now?''

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/chelsea/6497333/MH-doesn-t-want-to-smell-Fulham-fear?

MH doesn't want to smell Fulham fear

Fulham boss Mark Hughes will send out his Cottagers troops against Chelsea on Wednesday night urging them to show no fear.

Fulham have never beaten league leaders Chelsea in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge and their last victory there against their closest London rivals came in 1979.

But Hughes, who spent three years at Stamford Bridge as a player, said: "You have to be positive. Too many teams go to the likes of Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford and they are beaten before they go on the pitch. That is not the attitude or the mentality that I want from my team.

"I had a great three years there (at Stamford Bridge). I left Manchester United and everybody would say you were on the way down and that was the end of your career.

"But I went to the right club and was able to win three trophies in three years. The club had started to move in the right direction. I played a small part in where they are today and I am proud of that."

Hughes has problems in defence where Mexican defender Carlos Salcido is sidelined with ankle ligament damage suffered in the 1-1 draw against Aston Villa at the weekend. He will be out for three to four weeks. Damien Duff is likely to come in.

Fulham will also be missing defender Chris Baird who has suffered a thigh tear and is likely to be out for 10 days.

But while Hughes accepts it will be a tough night he is confident his side can show the same character which saw them rescue a draw against Villa at the weekend with a late, late goal from Brede Hangeland.

Hughes said: "Chelsea have got a spine of players who have been there a long time and know what it takes to win Premier League games. They can bring from the bench similar quality. They have that strength of character you need to regularly win trophies.

"They have the mentality when they are not particularly playing well to still have the individual talent to win games.

"A draw at Stamford Bridge given our record against Chelsea is a good result but we would like to think we are capable of more.

"My side never know when they are beaten. They keep going to the end and that's what you want from your players."

Chelsea, however, have yet to drop a point at home this season, although they did lose a Carling Cup tie to Newcastle by the odd goal in seven.

Hughes warned his players to expect a backlash from Chelsea's defeat against Liverpool at the weekend.

"They are going to be hurting because of the events of the weekend and they will want to get back on track. That's another thing we are up against. But it is about our performance level."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=220586

West London Derby Preview!
After gaining a point with a last ditch goal against Aston Villa on Saturday, Fulham travel to Stamford Bridge, on Wednesday, to try and get a vital away win. Chelsea, beaten at Anfield on Sunday, will be looking to get their title challenge back on track and this fixture has all the elements of a decent derby match with West London pride at stake.

Vital Quotes:
Stamford Bridge hasn`t been a happy hunting ground for Fuham, thirty one long years since we`ve won there.

Danny Murphy, speaking ahead of the game remains philosophical about the trip suggesting he`d take a point now when he`s commented ot the local media ahead of the clash,

"Well if I`m honest, if you offer me a draw I`ll take it now."

'It`s a tough game, Chelsea, and just to rub salt on the wounds they`ve gone up to Liverpool and got beaten at the weekend so they`re going to be a bit wounded."

"We`ve got a few injury problems at the moment but we will see if we can prepare ourselves for a battle at the Bridge."

"It`s a big game for us because obviously they`re our local rivals and whenever you play Chelsea it`s tough, but we`ll go there and give it a go."

"You`ve got nothing to lose, no one expects you to get anything when you go to Chelsea, so we can play with a nice freedom.'

Chelsea Team News:
Chelsea appear to be having something of an injury crisis with Frank Lampard and Yossi Benayoun not featuring in recent weeks. Up at Anfield Michael Essien and Didier Drogba were also non-starters whilst their Portuguese full back, Jose Bosingwa has only come back after a lengthy absence of close to a year.

If you throw into the mixer the fact our West London rivals lost a plethora of talent in the summer in Joe Cole, Michael Ballack, Juliano Belletti, Deco and Ricardo Carvalho then it`s quite obvious to see that their squad isn`t what it used to be.

Carlo Ancelotti recruited a Brazilian in Ramires, from Portuguese football, to bolster his squad but our spies tell us he`s been far from impressive.

However, before we get too excited it should be mentioned that the side we`ll probably face on Wednesday has a strong core of world class talent in Cech, Terry, Cole, Drogba and Anelka with Malouda and Alex also having looked impressive this season.

Our spies tell us that Chelsea could very well line up as follows as long as Alex and Anelka shake off minor knocks:-

Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Alex, Cole, Mikel, Essien, Zhirkov, Malouda, Drogba and Anelka

Player to watch: Ashley Cole
Although he made his reputation at Arsenal, it`s hard to picture Cole in anything other than a Chelsea shirt. He may well have his detractors off the field but on it he remains one of the best left backs in the world. Fulham will need to be aware of his dangerous forays forward, forays that netted him a couple of decent goals last season.

Fulham Team News:
Injuries have not been kind to us this season. Having lost Philippe Senderos pre-season we`ve had to contend with being without Andrew Johnson as well whilst we`ve also seen key players such as Murphy, Davies and Dembele to miss key games. There is also the dreadful injury that Bobby Zamora suffered against Wolves, an injury that will keep him out until well into the New Year.

On Saturday we lost another key player when Carlos Slacido suffered an injury in a debatable tackle by Luke Young, matters couldn`t get any worse could they?

But looking on the bright side, Duff and Davies are back and Dickson Etuhu is, according to our sources, set for a return to first team action on Wednesday.

But, Chris Baird who has performed well in recent weeks is another casualty with a thigh problem.

We`re not in a position to reveal the starting eleven but don`t be too surprised if Mark Hughes packs the midfield and plays a lone striker to try and stifle Chelsea and deny them time on the ball, just like a certain Roy Hodgson did in charge of Liverpool on Sunday.

Player to watch: Damien Duff
Damien will be desperate to play against his former club and we`d like to see him play as well, purely because football is littered with players that have scored winning goals against former clubs, could it happen for Damien? Don`t discount it!

Match Facts & Stats
On paper this looks a lost cause.

Fulham have not won at Stamford Bridge for 31 years. There`s also the small matter of our awful away record (how long is it since we own on the road in the Premier League?) coupled with the outstanding statistic that Chelsea have not conceded a goal in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge since John Carew scored for Aston Villa back in March, in the meantime Chelsea have notched up something like forty goals in the plus column!

But football isn`t played on paper and we all know there can be shock results don`t we!

Ref Watch:
The four officials are Martin Atkinson (referee), Stuart Burt and Peter Kirkup (assistants) and Keith Stroud (fourth official)

Match Prediction:
Local derbies can be strange matters, strange results can happen and that`s why I`m going against the flow and suggesting Fulham can get something out of this fixture, a draw perhaps!

Next Fixtures:
After our trip to Stamford Bridge we`re off on another day out, this time to face Newcastle, another tricky fixture!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchprere.asp?a=220586#ixzz14rZst9io

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/chelsea-ace-will-be-fighting-fit-to-face-fulham?

Chelsea ace will be fighting fit to face Fulham
Didier Drogba will come back in 'best condition, says Carlo

Didier Drogba will start against Fulham tomorrow night despite being diagnosed with malaria.

The Ivory Coast striker was thought to have been suffering from a virus in recent weeks but blood tests revealed it was the tropical disease.

Drogba was left out of the starting line-up for the 2-0 defeat at Liverpool but came on as a second half substitute after complaining of a fever on the eve of the game.

"We found out (on Monday night) when blood tests showed he had malaria," said Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti. "I don't know where he got it from."

"He had a problem," added Ancelotti. "He has this virus and, obviously, he lost power and training.

"He lost his condition. He's had treatment and now he's okay. He'll come back immediately in the best condition.

"He suffered, obviously, because he wasn't 100% but now, after treatment, he'll be better. He had malaria. He had the tests in the last day, and they showed this kind of virus. Now he's good.

"I don't know where he got it from. I gave him a few days off and he went on holiday for a few days, and then he has malaria. But it's over now. He's okay."

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/11/9/1803855/my-five-keys-to-survival-for-fulham-against-chelsea?

My Five Keys To Survival For Fulham Against Chelsea

Fulham play Chelsea on the road tomorrow at Stamford Bridge. The game takes place at 7:45 UK time and 2:45 EST in the U.S. The game will be seen live on Fox Soccer Channel in the United States.

As a fan I am trying to be realistic. To expect Fulham to go into Stamford Bridge and beat Chelsea in a mid-week game I think is a tall task. I would be thriled if they can get a draw.

You happen to be catching Chelsea at possibly the worst time. They just lost Sunday 2-0 at Liverpool. I have a feeling they might take their frustration out on the Cottagers.

Fulham had a miraculous goal by Brede Hangeland in the last seconds of their game against Aston Villa to earn a point. All signs point to an extremely difficult match-up for Fulham.

Also, to add to Fulham's issues they lost both their left and right backs in the game against Aston Villa to injury. Both Carlos Salcido and Chris Baird will be out for the game on Wednesday.   

Currently Chelsea are in first place in the league. The manager of Chelsea is Carlo Ancellotti. Players to watch include Didier Drogba, Michael Essien, and Ashley Cole. This could quite possibly be the most talented team in the world right now.

So with all of that said about Chelsea, what can we expect from Fulham? I have a feeling you are going to see a team that will play defensive, and hope to get an opportunity for a counter-attack. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulham play for the draw. Below are " my five keys to survival for Fulham against Chelsea."

1. Mark Schwarzer needs to play an exceptional game.  It is match-ups like playing Chelsea that you want a veteran goalkeeper. Schwarzer has stepped up many times in these situations. For Fulham to have a chance they will need Schwarzer to be in top form.

2. Who will fill in for Chris Baird and Carlos Salcido?  If you are a Fulham fan these two positions could be under constant pressure against Chelsea. I have a feeling you will see John Panstil and Stephen Kelly stepping up to these roles of right and left back. This is a tough spot and the pressure will be on. This key could ultimately be the most important one of the match.

3. Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu need to control the midfield.  This will be a tall task but the play in the center of the field is crucial for Fulham to contain Chelsea. Murphy could have a huge role in this match-up.

4. Clint Dempsey needs to take chances and create scoring opportunities.  I have a feeling that the Cottagers will have limited opportunities to score. Dempsey is fanstastic at creating his own offense. He will need to get as many shot on net as possible.

5. Somehow the Fulham defense nees to contain Didier Drogba. Last year at Stamford Bridge the game completely changed when John Panstil was forced out of the match in the second half. Drogba scored shortly afterwards, and then Chelsea really turned up the heat. The Fulham defenders need to keep him under control as much as possible.

I would like to say I am confident going into this match, but I don't have a good feeling about this game. My prediction is a 2-1 loss for Fulham at Chelsea. 

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1328224/Referees-favour-big-clubs-admits-Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes.html?

Referees may favour the big clubs, admits Fulham boss Mark Hughes

Mark Hughes believes referees have a tendency to take the 'easy option' and award decisions in favour of bigger clubs or home teams.

The Fulham boss, who takes his side to Barclays Premier League leaders Chelsea tonight, said: 'Do big clubs get the benefit of decisions? As a player at (Manchester) United I would have said absolutely not.

'But as a manager going up against the so-called Big Four clubs, I have a different view, possibly. Sometimes the consequences of giving a decision against a big side are too much for some referees to take.

'But there's no way I'm questioning the integrity (of referees) because it's split-second decisions and it's human nature that sometimes you take the easy option.

'It's prevalent if you're the away side, I would suggest. If there's a big, vociferous home crowd screaming for decisions it's easier for referees to give those decisions.'

Martin Atkinson will take charge of tonight's west London derby at Stamford Bridge as Fulham try to claim their first Premier League away win for 23 matches.

Atkinson, 39, was one of the officials labelled 'abysmal' by Stoke City boss Tony Pulis after he failed to spot a Lee Cattermole handball in Sunderland's 2-0 victory against Stoke last Saturday.

But Hughes isn't convinced Pulis's suggestion that referees should be ranked, with three relegated each season, is the solution.

The Fulham manager said: 'I'm not sure if a table of referees would be the answer.

'What they are lacking at the moment is quality in numbers. Maybe they try to push guys that aren't quite ready for the significance of Premier League games.

'More prevalently with assistant referees there are decisions needed to help the referees that are just not being made.'

Everton manager David Moyes suggested referees should spend more time on the training field.

'We had a referee who spent a bit of time with us recently, and he seemed to enjoy it,'
said Moyes.

'I believe managers and clubs can help referees if they listened to what we had to say. They are full time, yet they only seem to train once every fortnight. They keep themselves fit but don't seem to do any tactical training.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1328224/Referees-favour-big-clubs-admits-Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes.html?#ixzz14rb6Ctbo

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/9174112.stm?

Fulham's Salcido out for a month

Fulham defender Carlos Salcido is facing a month on the sidelines with an ankle injury.

The 20-year-old Mexico international ruptured a ligament in a tackle by Ashley Young during Saturday's 1-1 draw with Aston Villa.

"Carlos is bearing the consequences of the challenge and unfortunately he has ruptured a ligament on his ankle," boss Mark Hughes said.
"The likelihood is he will be out for three to four weeks."

Salcido, who signed from Dutch club PSV Eindhoven on a three-year contract in August, will miss the trip to Stamford Bridge to play Chelsea on Wednesday.

"It's disappointing because Carlos has made a huge impact during the short time that he's been with us so to not have him available going into a game against Chelsea is a big loss for us," Hughes added.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9163153.stm

BBC: Chelsea    v    Fulham
Coverage: Watch highlights on Match of the Day; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

TEAM NEWS
Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is hopeful that Michael Essien will return from a toe injury against Fulham, but Nicolas Anelka and Alex are doubts.

Didier Drogba is set to start despite Ancelotti revealing that the striker has recently recovered from malaria, but Frank Lampard remains out.

Fulham left-back Carlos Salcido is facing several weeks on the sidelines after injuring his ankle on Saturday.
Right-back Chris Baird will be out for about 10 days with a thigh problem.

Chelsea:
Doubtful: Alex (knee), Anelka (back), Essien (toe)
Injured: Benayoun (Achilles), Lampard (hernia)

Fulham
Injured: Baird (thigh), Salcido (ankle), Senderos (calf), Zamora (leg)

MATCH PREVIEW
It is almost 15 months since Fulham won a Premier League game on their travels, and the omens are against that run ending on Wednesday. Their last top-flight victory at Chelsea was back in 1964, while Chelsea have won 15 of their last 16 league games at Stamford Bridge.

I don't think we ever take things for granted at this club but maybe this is the kick up the backside we all needed
Chelsea captain John Terry on defeat at Liverpool

The Blues may have come a cropper in Sunday's defeat at Liverpool, who are managed by former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson, but on home turf they are an entirely different proposition.

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has never lost back-to-back Premier League games, and the unflappable Italian refused to panic after losing at Anfield, instead praising his side's second-half display.

Fulham are the top flight's draw specialists, sharing the points in seven of their 11 Premier League games this season. While the Cottagers have a poor record against the Blues, recent games have generally been close. The visitors led for for over an hour in this fixture last season before succumbing to two goals in three minutes.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes spent three years as a player at Chelsea, but has not enjoyed returning to Stamford Bridge as a manager. He has lost four of five games in the opposition dugout, drawing the other, conceding a total of 12 goals.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
• Fulham have beaten Chelsea just once in the last 27 league and cup meetings, spanning 31 years. That solitary success was 1-0 at Craven Cottage in March 2006, when Luis Boa Morte got the only goal.
• Chelsea have not lost this fixture at home since October 1979, when Fulham won 2-0 in the old Second Division. Fulham's last top-flight victory at Stamford Bridge was 2-1 in March 1964.

Chelsea
• Didier Drogba has scored nine goals in his last six Premier league games at Stamford Bridge.
• Chelsea have won all seven league games this season in which they opened the scoring.
• The Blues have lost two of the three top-flight matches in which they conceded the opening goal this term.

Fulham
• Fulham have failed to win any of their last 23 away league games. Their last victory on the road was at Portsmouth on the opening day of last season, although they have since won Uefa Cup games at Basel and Wolfsburg, plus an FA Cup tie at Accrington.
• Mark Hughes' side have drawn four of their five away league games this season.
• Fulham have won only four of their last 22 Premier League fixtures.
• And Mark Hughes has also won only four of his last 22 Premier League matches as manager of Manchester City and Fulham.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Chelsea
Anelka: 10 goals (3 league); Malouda: 7 goals (7 league);
Drogba 7 goals (6 league)

Fulham
Dempsey: 5 goals (4 league); Dembele: 3 goals (2 league); Zamora: 3 goals (1 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Martin Atkinson
Assistant referees: Stuart Burt & Peter Kirkup
Fourth official: Keith Stroud

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Chelsea (L0-2 v Liverpool, a): Cech, Ivanovic (Bosingwa 70), Terry, Alex, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Zhirkov (Sturridge 76), Kalou (Drogba 46), Anelka, Malouda. Subs Not Used: Turnbull, Ferreira, Kakuta, McEachran

Fulham (D1-1 v Aston Villa, h): Schwarzer, Baird (Kelly 58), Hangeland, Hughes, Salcido (Duff 69), Davies, Greening (Andrew Johnson 59), Murphy, Gera, Dembele, Dempsey. Subs Not Used: Stockdale, Pantsil, Etuhu, Eddie Johnson.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/schwarzer-verge-signing-new-fulham-contract-1238211?

Schwarzer on the verge of signing new Fulham contract

Mark Schwarzer is reportedly set to sign a two-year contract extension with Fulham.

The Australian goalkeeper has been keen to move away from Craven Cottage since the European summer with a shift to Arsenal on the cards but is now close to committing his future to the Cottagers.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger had toyed with the idea of bringing another gloveman to Emirates Stadium but is struggling to keep the four he has currently got happy so a January go for Schwarzer seems unlikely.

It is believed that the 38-year old is pleased with Fulham boss Mark Hughes' plans for the club and is very close to penning a fresh deal.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9167489.stm

LAWROS PREDICTION

Chelsea v Fulham
What I couldn't understand about Chelsea's loss to Liverpool on Sunday was Didier Drogba starting on the bench.

Fair enough if he has a bit of a nagging injury, but if you've got games coming up against Liverpool and Fulham, surely they'd want him to start against Liverpool?

The thing about Chelsea is that they very rarely have two defeats on the run, and they have such good strength in depth and such mental strength.

When Mark Hughes took over at Fulham, I'm sure he realised that his job was to keep them in the Premier League and as long as he did that, he'd be doing a good job. They'll do fine, but his problem is injuries up front - Bobby Zamora is out long-term and Andy Johnson has only just returned. Craven Cottage is always a tough place to go to so that'll stand them in good stead.

Prediction: 2-0

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8120305/No-fear-for-Fulham.html

No fear for Fulham
Mark Hughes will send out his Fulham side against Chelsea urging them to show no fear.

Fulham have never beaten league leaders Chelsea in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge and their last victory there against their closest London rivals came in 1979.

But Hughes, who spent three years at Stamford Bridge as a player, said: "You have to be positive. Too many teams go to the likes of Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford and they are beaten before they go on the pitch. That is not the attitude or the mentality that I want from my team.

"I had a great three years there (at Stamford Bridge). I left Manchester United and everybody would say you were on the way down and that was the end of your career.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943599/Chelsea-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

Chelsea v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Chelsea and Fulham on Wednesday at Stamford Bridge on Nov 10 2010, kick-off 19:45 GMT.

Wednesday, November 10
Chelsea v Fulham
Stamford Bridge
Kick-off: 19.45 GMT
TV: Highlights, BBC1 Match of the Day.

Chelsea (Probable, 4-3-3): Cech; Ferreira, Ivanovic, Terry, Cole; Essien, Mikel, Zhirkov; Kalou, Drogba, Malouda.
Fulham (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Kelly; Duff, Murphy, Greening, Davies; Dembele; Dempsey.

Referee: Martin Atkinson. Matches: 9. R4 Y32.

Tale of the game
Chelsea have fresh injury doubts over defender Alex (knee) and Nicolas Anelka (back) in the run-up to the west London derby against Fulham at Stamford Bridge.

Midfielder Frank Lampard remains sidelined with a tendon problem but Michael Essien has recovered from the toe injury that kept him out of the Liverpool game on Sunday.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba will play despite being diagnosed with a bout of malaria, having started on the bench at Liverpool.

Chelsea boast the best home record in the League with five wins out of five, 16 goals scored and none conceded.

Carlo Ancelotti's league leaders have gone a club record eight successive home games without conceding a goal – a total of 781 minutes.

And Chelsea are unbeaten in their last eight Premier League games against neighbours Fulham.

Since Manchester City won 4-2 at Stamford Bridge in February, Chelsea have won 10 in a row, scoring 45 goals (an average of 4.5 per game) and conceding just two.

Fulham have never won at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League. In nine attempts they have lost six and drawn three.
And the Cottagers last won at their closest neighbours in October 1979.

Their hopes of ending that poor sequence is not helped by their away form. Fulham have now gone 23 games since they last won away, at Portsmouth in August 2009.

Since then Fulham, whose manager Mark Hughes is a former Chelsea player, have taken 11 points from a possible 29, scored 16 goals and conceded 37.

Fulham could give a first league start since January to Andy Johnson, but they have problems in defence: Carlos Salcido is out and Chris Baird is doubtful.

Mark Hughes would probably accept a draw, a result he is getting used to. In his last 22 games as a manager – 11 for Manchester City and 11 for Fulham – he has won four, lost three and drawn a massive 15.

Last season: Fulham 0 Chelsea 2, Chelsea 2 Fulham 1.

Stat of the game: If Chelsea lose it will be the first time in 164 Premier League games that they will have lost consecutive matches.

Betting tip: Chelsea to bounce back. Try 3-0 at 6-1.

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-target-Mark-Schwarzer-to-sign-new-Fulham-deal-Exclusive-article625125.html

Arsenal target Schwarzer to sign new Fulham deal - Exclusive

Mark Schwarzer is set to give Fulham fans a huge boost by signing a new two-year deal.

The 38-year-old keeper put in a transfer request at Craven Cottage in the summer in order to force through a move to Arsenal.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger had been prepared to offer Schwarzer a coaching role helping the club's young keepers in order to lure the Aussie across London.

But Schwarzer has been impressed with Fulham boss Mark Hughes' plans for the club.

In turn, Wenger's talented young keeper has made it clear that, far from waiting his turn behind more competition, he will not sign a new deal unless he plays more regularly.

It means Hughes is set to win his fight to keep his first-choice keeper at the club as Wenger battles to keep Szczesny, Lukasz Fabianski and Manuel Almunia happy.

Meanwhile Hughes has warned his Fulham team that they will have to match their greatest performances under Roy Hodgson if they are to win at Chelsea tonight.

Fulham have beaten Chelsea just once in the Premier League and have not won at Stamford Bridge since October 1979.

Under Hodgson, Fulham stunned the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United, Juventus and deposed former UEFA Cup champions Shakhtar Donetsky last season.

Hughes said: "You just ask questions of your players.

"You ask them to play at the top of their capabilities and if you do that then you've got a chance.

"If Chelsea play at the top of their capabilities they have enough to overcome most teams but we're going to go there and be positive and try to get a result."

"It is a very strong ask for us to go to be able to go there given that there is a possibility we will be without our first choice full backs as well.

"But we'll go there and give it our best shot. And you can be sure we'll have a game plan that will frustrate Chelsea and enable us to have chances going the other way."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Arsenal-target-Mark-Schwarzer-to-sign-new-Fulham-deal-Exclusive-article625125.html#ixzz14rfWKkmt

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/11/football-blogs/midweek-premier-league-preview-and-predictions/2

Chelsea vs. Fulham (Wednesday, 19:45)

Chelsea will need to bounce back from conceding two goals in a league game for the first time this season, while Fulham will be buoyed by their last minute heroics against Villa. Fulham always give a Chelsea a good run for their money, but they haven't beaten them in the league since 2006, and they haven't won at Stamford Bridge since 1979. Carlo Ancelotti made an error by leaving Didier Drogba on the bench for Sunday's defeat at Liverpool, and I don't imagine that he'd make the same mistake again.

Key Man: Didier Drogba
If there's one thing Didier Drogba isn't used to it's starting a game on the bench, so expect him to be keen to show why he deserves a starting role every week. His early season form seems to have escaped him of late, so Drogba is a player with a point to prove.

Last two league meetings: Fulham 0-2 Chelsea, Chelsea 2-1 Fulham

Prediction: 3-1. Chelsea will recover from their setback, but Fulham will make them sweat for it.