News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Am I the only one who didn't think it was that bad?

Started by Brawn, January 01, 2020, 06:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Penfold on January 01, 2020, 07:58:36 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on January 01, 2020, 07:27:39 PM
Our back 4 is better than Readings on paper .. Liam Moore being the only member of their back 4 that would get in our starting 11 - Readings keeper was class though and is probably the best in the league

Problem is, it's played on a pitch, not on paper.

and that particular paper is Kleenex Tissue soft and easily torn to shreds, very much like our back Division. Having said that, goals change games, and that opening goal was crucial as Fulham had been on top with shots at goal and possession. But whilst we have a powder puff defence with more holes than a Colander, we will be having the same conversations that we have been having for far too long.
So surgery is needed to be performed in this Window for the right players we urgently require, otherwise we could fall short, and that would
be disappointing.
But it's the first defeat in Four games, so let's be mindful of this, although we have to identify that the catalyst in our shortcomings is the defence and players in defensive areas.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Whitestone

I didn't think it was that bad. Frustrating maybe but in general our play was good. Credit to Reading who defended well. They had to given the pressure we put them under. Unfortunately our defence cost us again and I have no doubt will continue to do so until the majority are replaced. Fortunately in Rodak we may have uncovered a gem. Hoping Michael Hector is as good as the hype and can forge a defensive partnership with Alfie Mawson and that we recruit a full back or two asap.

simplyfulham

Good post Brawn.

For me the biggest case that Scott does need to answer to is we don't really seem to have a plan without the ball. We're slow to react if we lose it and we don't seem to have much of a strategy for winning it back.

You mention the 3 Reading defenders you feel are better then our 2 centre halves, but we don't defend as a team and we are putting undue pressure on Ream and Odoi. If we could solve that we might be worth a shot at the top 2.

Andy S

We have to move the ball around faster. It is read too easily. We seem to go to sleep at the back much too easily

Woolly Mammoth

Too much dwelling on the ball in defensive areas, we have to sharpen up with a higher tempo, instead of inviting pressure.
Players have to be busier and not play like Robots and come out of their comfort zones, and we need more box to box players in midfield, and less luxury players in the team.
What does not help is that we do not have a natural Captain TC is worse than mediocre, he does not have the character.  We do lack leaders on the pitch and height and it shows, our defence would not strike fear into a fairy, but a lot of it is down to basics. For instance after we have scored a goal and the opponent kick off to resume the game, we should be looking to retrieve possession again to remove any threat to them snatching a quick goal back or threatening to score.
We do not hunt in packs enough, and we have to be more tenacious. Even if a player is having an off day, he can still run around.
Also for ages now we never seem to get our throw ons right, why do players throw the ball at a team mates chest or stomach, instead of to their feet whereupon it's easier and quicker to control or the head even to flick it on, too often our throw ons end up with the opponents going possession, it's almost as though our players don't fancy showing to have the ball thrown to them, so they stand next to an opponent as though to say don't throw to me I am being closely marked, not enough movement often enough.
But all said and done, if in doubt when taking a throw, just work the line, and at the very least we would gain ground towards the opponents box. After all they are professionals and it should be second nature to them. We need a hard task master on the pitch to galvanise the troops when we are not getting it all our own way.
It's all very well looking good when we get the rub of the green, but it shows the real characters the real warriors the real fighters,  the real leaders, the real winners when nothing is going our way, and you have to make things happen, not wait for them to happen, that is a mentality and a recipe for failure.

Never forget your Roots.

70sPimlico

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 01, 2020, 08:08:01 PM
Quote from: FFC73 on January 01, 2020, 08:02:30 PM
In answer to the opening question, probably not.

IMO, not good enough & will be surprised if we make the playoffs. If we do, cannot see us winning the semi let alone the final
With a healthy starting 11 why can't you see Fulham beating any of the top 6 over two legs?  Inconsistent I get...but over two legs talent shines through.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk
Simply because of the tactics. Too rigid and a well drilled team combats it. Our distribution from defence to midfield is so lacking flexibility that I believe it stops us taking control of games.

Something is clearly not quite right. My original post it just saying that if the powers that be also see this, we may just try and change things. If we do, and we make the right changes, then who knows.

I just think, as it stands, were too easy to beat

Bill2

In my opinion yesterday's result was all down to how much luck you had. Reading had it in bucketfuls, take their first goal with a huge deflection which took it away from Marek. We hit the post, bar and every time they dived in for a block the ball flew out and didn't go to a Fulham player once.
We were the better side by miles but got nothing. If we had scored with that first flurry early in the first half we would have got 6. Was it a penalty in the second half, I thought so and will hope to see it on the highlights.
And to add my final part I thought Dennis Odoi had a great game, not a single mistake and a very calm head.

Andy S

Like you I thought it was a penalty. I also thought Odoi had a good game as well. Our problems stem from 5he soft goals we concede regularly. Opposing teams don't care how long we push it around at the back as long as we are not having potshots at their goal

RaySmith

I wasn't that sure  about the pen,watching a stream, but there was contact  on Mitro by the defender, and the pen could certainly have been given, but he booked Mitro.
Then, seconds later, a Reading player went down from a similar amount of contact, and the ref awarded  them a free kick.

Bill2

Quote from: Bill2 on January 02, 2020, 09:49:40 AM
In my opinion yesterday's result was all down to how much luck you had. Reading had it in bucketfuls, take their first goal with a huge deflection which took it away from Marek. We hit the post, bar and every time they dived in for a block the ball flew out and didn't go to a Fulham player once.
We were the better side by miles but got nothing. If we had scored with that first flurry early in the first half we would have got 6. Was it a penalty in the second half, I thought so and will hope to see it on the highlights.
And to add my final part I thought Dennis Odoi had a great game, not a single mistake and a very calm head.
Unfortunately yet again FFC have not shown any of the contentious decisions by the ref on the highlights. They do this every week and it is seriously p**ing me off. From my seat it looked like a penalty so I was hoping to see it from a different perspective. The same thing occurred with Neeskens incident a few weeks ago. Are they not allowed to show any ref mistakes?

Lozzer

The Hull City game is still fresh enough in my memory to know that yesterday's performance wasn't that bad.

We have been much worse unfortunately.

See Preston away also.

bahay18

I didn't think it was that bad either . Huge slice of luck on their first goal with the deflection ( our defending was bad , so maybe didn't earn the luck) and I still don't know how we didn't score when their keeper made a triple save . Reading had little intention of playing and once it went 0-2 it was game over . Another day I think we win that game comfortably .

On the flip side of that , if it was our first or second home defeat of the season I think you can getaway with ' not our day ' but that's number 4 and suggests unfortunately that we aren't good enough at the moment .

FFC1987

Just another showing that we aren't consistent enough really. I wasn't impressed with how we played. Lack synergy at times. Took 5 mins to get to final third for eventually, Mitro to get muscles by two players marking him and not enough movement around him to help find the pockets, ironically, like what one Ryan Sess used to do consistently. I worry for this team to be honest. I can see us creeping into 6th and having a torrid time over two legs in the semis where we'll inevitably saying 'well, they had two shots on goal and scored twice whereas we had 20 and scored one/none, mostly all off target or long range efforts of course.' Ah well. Onto the next one.

hovewhite

It's easy on paper,not real life get real you will never be satisfied,if you were PL  it wouldn't be enough!!

Woolly Mammoth

Goals change games, Readings goal was out of the blue, in fact it was their first genuine shot on goal, and that had to take a deflection to beat Rodak.
That's football, but that is why there are 46 matches, to enable every club over a 9 month period the chance to have a successful season, or not. That way the table is defined fairly and squarely as possible in adverse weather conditions as well as good weather conditions, in various locations. When those 46 matches are completed. Currently we still have 20 more games to play, so there is plenty of time to influence which way this season is heading, but we need a little help from the transfers window, otherwise will continue to leak goals, which consequently will put more pressure on the team to score more goals than we concede. In the same way as if we miss simple chances to score, it puts pressure on the defence not to concede, and not everyone plays well under pressure.

Never forget your Roots.