watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can;t wait for Hector

Started by The Swan, January 01, 2020, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

I do hope that he hits the ground running. A good test on Saturday against Villa.

If Hector cant sort out our defence we must get someone lined up in this January transfer window.
The Swan

Jimsbeerbelly

Hector alone won't sort out or issues

Woolly Mammoth

Let's hope that Hector can improve our back line, but we cannot stop there, we need at least another defender in the full back position also, even if Hector proves to be a good addition.
Overall we need to improve our strength in the air at set pieces and open play, that is essential we address that department, because the goals against column does not reflect a team with the ambition of promotion. In fact the system of play we must adopt when we have not got the ball has to change.
My observations are that when our full back is beaten on the flank, our midfield players do not tuck in which is standard procedure to pick up theirs markers.
Also when the full back is beaten the centre back must come across to shadow the winger away from the danger area, and delay the attack, buying time for the full back to replace the centre back to restore the balance and depth in defence. In the meantime the centre back can force the winger into an early cross which should be meat and drink to goalkeepers and defenders, or for the winger to check wait for support or switch play to the other side.
Either way it buys time for our players to give our defence more depth.
That is the basics of defending your goal.
BALANCE, DEPTH & DELAY.
Midfield have to take responsibility for their duties of funnelling back in a V shape to combat against a team that will try and find away of going round our defence, or going over our defence and going through our defence, and we have to be prepared to counter that threat.
Nevertheless, at the end of the day, our back Division including our Goalkeeper, is the last line of our defence, and they will ultimately responsible for goals conceded.
Although the Goalkeeper in certain circumstances and to a certain extent can only be as good as the defence in front of them. In the same way our defence to a certain extent is only as good as the Goalkeeper in behind them.
The defence is only as good as its weakest link, which is all very well, but when there is more than one weakest link, then the goals against column will continue to grow, and that alone will
Undermine  Fulhams attempts to secure a play off place.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 01, 2020, 10:30:09 PM
Let's hope that Hector can improve our back line, but we cannot stop there, we need at least another defender in the full back position, also even if Hector proves to be a good addition.
Overall we need to improve our strength in the air at set pieces and open play, that is essential we address that department, because the goals against column does not reflect a team with the ambition of promotion.

Have we conceded that many goals because we are (allegedly) inferior in the air?

The Rock

I am of the belief that far more help is needed at the back, but you never know. If we had a true organisational leader who could play the part of a leader, the entire back four could be the best in the league.

And no, I am not kidding. We aren't that far off, and there is just a little something that is needed as others have stated in other threads.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 01, 2020, 10:31:38 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 01, 2020, 10:30:09 PM
Let's hope that Hector can improve our back line, but we cannot stop there, we need at least another defender in the full back position, also even if Hector proves to be a good addition.
Overall we need to improve our strength in the air at set pieces and open play, that is essential we address that department, because the goals against column does not reflect a team with the ambition of promotion.

Have we conceded that many goals because we are (allegedly) inferior in the air?

In my opinion we are, so many shortcomings especially in the air, 31 goals in 26 games reflects a defence that has issues, and only 7 clean sheets in 26, that is mediocre, and I am being generous when I say mediocre.
What is a shame is that the last four games we have lost have been by the odd goal, so if we could have avoided one goal in each of those matches we would have accrued another 4 points, and left us only 6 points behind an automatic promotion position. All ifs and buts I know, but that's the reality, and nothing will improve unless we either find a way of scoring a lot more goals per game, or make us hard to beat and hard to score against, but  it will not happen with the current defenders we have.

Never forget your Roots.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on January 01, 2020, 10:29:53 PM
Agreed. That 3rd midfielder spot...you know...the guy that's suppose to clean up defensively before our defenders get caught out...is also needed.

The defense use to have one of the fastest fullbacks in all of world football to help recover when the ball was lost.

Without that pace and work rate...a CDM is needed.

Not Seri, not Anguissa, not Stefjo and not Harrison Reed.

A true gritty fast ball winning midfielder with a high work rate that can protect the back.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

MikeW

Quote from: The Rock on January 01, 2020, 10:50:25 PM
I am of the belief that far more help is needed at the back, but you never know. If we had a true organisational leader who could play the part of a leader, the entire back four could be the best in the league.

And no, I am not kidding. We aren't that far off, and there is just a little something that is needed as others have stated in other threads.

I think it's called Aaron Hughes
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Matt10

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 02, 2020, 12:52:19 AM
Agreed. That 3rd midfielder spot...you know...the guy that's suppose to clean up defensively before our defenders get caught out...is also needed.

The defense use to have one of the fastest fullbacks in all of world football to help recover when the ball was lost.

A true gritty fast ball winning midfielder with a high work rate that can protect the back.

Any ideas who? Low playing prem players come to mind:

- Besic has not had much playing time for Sheffield Utd.
- Drinkwater is linked to Villa.
- Carlos Sanchez - recent start and played terrible for West Ham

We can't pick off any Championship players, and even if we did, they are not as good as who we have already in aggression and vision from the likes of Arter, Reed, Johansen and even Kmac.

So, if we accept this, then we'd have to venture outside of England. Then the debacle of experience comes into play. Tough ask.

davew

Happy New Year Matt, we should concentrate on golf, supporting Fulham does your head in!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

simplyfulham

Quote from: Matt10 on January 02, 2020, 04:46:02 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 02, 2020, 12:52:19 AM

We can't pick off any Championship players, and even if we did, they are not as good as who we have already in aggression and vision from the likes of Arter, Reed, Johansen and even Kmac.

For my money, Ben Pearson, Kalvin Phillips and Joe Allen are the best in the division in that role and any of them would certainly improve us in that area.

I'm not suggesting for one second any of those targets are realistic or achievable.

KingofCheese

Quote from: The Swan on January 01, 2020, 10:21:19 PM
I do hope that he hits the ground running. A good test on Saturday against Villa.

If Hector cant sort out our defence we must get someone lined up in this January transfer window.

Nor me as I already have the posts lined up to say how rubbish he is and how the Khans have let us down buying him. I will be fair though and give him until we concede the first goal in a match we play him in.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

filham

Look Hector is a young player who has performed well in the Championship for a short while and he should hold down a place in our back four.
However he is not a seasoned pro with vast experience and proven leadership qualities and to expect him to turn our leaky defence into a solid unit is really asking too much of him.

S.F.Sorrow

I'm sure Hector will be good enough defensively. The question is whether he can handle playing out from the back. Lets face it, he WILL make mistakes. It's not easy to find the kind of CB we need. It would be difficult in the PL. It's practically impossible in the Championship. Even some of the best CBs in the Championship will probably fail miserably with us. Which is why the whole idea of playing out from the back under pressure is utterly insane in our current situation IMO. Joka made it work but that probably had more to do with us dominating matches to such a degree that we could afford conceding a couple of goals and still win.

Basically what we need is a defensively stronger version of Ream. And preferrably two of them. Does ANYONE in this division fit that description???

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on January 02, 2020, 08:04:43 PM
I'm sure Hector will be good enough defensively. The question is whether he can handle playing out from the back. Lets face it, he WILL make mistakes. It's not easy to find the kind of CB we need. It would be difficult in the PL. It's practically impossible in the Championship. Even some of the best CBs in the Championship will probably fail miserably with us. Which is why the whole idea of playing out from the back under pressure is utterly insane in our current situation IMO. Joka made it work but that probably had more to do with us dominating matches to such a degree that we could afford conceding a couple of goals and still win.

Basically what we need is a defensively stronger version of Ream. And preferrably two of them. Does ANYONE in this division fit that description???

Yes there is.

Never forget your Roots.

FFC1987

Quote from: filham on January 02, 2020, 07:48:39 PM
Look Hector is a young player who has performed well in the Championship for a short while and he should hold down a place in our back four.
However he is not a seasoned pro with vast experience and proven leadership qualities and to expect him to turn our leaky defence into a solid unit is really asking too much of him.

He's 27 isn't he? Thats not young.....

Woolly Mammoth

He should be in his prime which is what we require.

Never forget your Roots.

bill taylors apprentice

I'm always hopeful but we are cursed when it come s to CB's, I don't need to list them all but since Hangeland & Hughes the only decent defender was another H, Heitinga and he didn't stay long.

Maybe this new H, Hector will make a difference but I fear its more than that, its a lack of support from the midfield and FB's that can't defend as a unit that's the issue.

HV71

We really must try and not put too much pressure on Hector - a saviour ?  - We can only hope so - but we can't expect it . Unless we sign Lysander then we cannot expect too much (we need a successful pairing )

filham

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 02, 2020, 08:20:41 PM
Quote from: filham on January 02, 2020, 07:48:39 PM

He's 27 isn't he? Thats not young.....
27 then what has he been doing for the last 8 years???
"