News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Time to appoint another Captain but who?

Started by davew, January 02, 2020, 11:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I have no idea why a thread like ''this was started. Cairney is captain and as far as I can see will remain captain for at least the rest of the season. When you go back to the Tigana days there were captains all over the pitch Coleman, Morgan,y Simons, john Collins Legwinsky and Lee Clark. All were capable of doing the job. That is what we need now and the fact that nobody can agree says there are no options at the club

davew

Quote from: Andy S on January 04, 2020, 01:07:25 AM
I have no idea why a thread like ''this was started. Cairney is captain and as far as I can see will remain captain for at least the rest of the season. When you go back to the Tigana days there were captains all over the pitch Coleman, Morgan, john Collins Legwinsky and Lee Clark. All were capable of doing the job. That is what we need now and the fact that nobody can agree says there are no options at the club
Why not ask this question? I think the majority of fans would agree that we need somebody else as captain, but as you say there is a vast difference of opinion who would be best suited to take over should the situation arise. Not sure there are no options available?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Andy S

There are certainly no candidates at the club at the present time that would be better than Cairney. It is a silly question if you don't have an idea of a decent replacement

toshes mate

I delayed responding to this thread in the hopes that inspiration might come to me but I have found none.  I agree that an on field leader is required in English football but then I seem to recall that, during Jokanovic's time, Cairney did a pretty decent job in the role even if it was low key, and so, for me the problem may in fact be something else entirely.  It seems that when you have a really decent and experienced professional coach who knows exactly what they are doing then everything else falls into place.  I'd not change the captaincy unless and until it is proven someone else can do better.

davew

Quote from: Andy S on January 04, 2020, 11:10:01 AM
There are certainly no candidates at the club at the present time that would be better than Cairney. It is a silly question if you don't have an idea of a decent replacement
My idea was Reed!!

Woolly Mammoth

The fact that there are no real candidates currently at the club that you could say was a born leader of men, or has the character and personality to do a decent job as Captain, is an indictment of the lack of charismatic characters that have not been recruited by the owners son, which appears to amount to the grand total of nil, no box to tick on his computer game for that.
So you end up with more sheep than Lions, and nobody capable of fitting into that role, not one Warrior or Winner and very few real fighters, which consequently when push comes to shove nobody to marshal the defence, no talisman to galvanise the troops, not even one, which all in all reflects on another loophole in the grand scheme of recruitment and a team with no leader and a soft underbelly, just saying.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Simply91

My only reservation is that we want to try and keep Cairney at the club as we know he is an asset and stripping him of the armband could lead to a scenario where he is less motivated and more likely to leave at some point in the future. Separately, Kmac demonstrated in our promotion season that you don't need an armband in order to motivate players, lead team talks etc.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Andy S on January 04, 2020, 01:07:25 AM
I have no idea why a thread like ''this was started. Cairney is captain and as far as I can see will remain captain for at least the rest of the season. When you go back to the Tigana days there were captains all over the pitch Coleman, Morgan,y Simons, john Collins Legwinsky and Lee Clark. All were capable of doing the job. That is what we need now and the fact that nobody can agree says there are no options at the club
Indeed nobody capable of doing the job which says it all really.
The worst job I ever had was as a door to door salesman selling doors.
I just wasn't suited, like the time I walked into a men's outfitters and asked the manager to show me the cheapest suit in the shop, and he replied " your wearing it ".

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Woolly Mammoth

Never forget your Roots.