News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Time to appoint another Captain but who?

Started by davew, January 02, 2020, 11:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davew

Clearly we do not have a leader, Cairney has never been a strong Captain and why try Mitro, 1/2 the game he is isolated and has nobody to speak to so is hardly in a position to organise things and motivate (or otherwise) others. From what I have seen this season we are not excatly spoiled for choice, but I would go with Harrison Reed!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

One Martin Thomas

Lead from the back ... Hector ! I literally have Hector as the answer to everything now ! As for Reed, I would have him as right back when Arter returns !

KeenCottager

Agreed.

Cairney is a poster boy captain - you could tell in our promotion season that KMAC does all the team talks / motivating  - glad that he is doing his coaching badges.

Mitro is too isolated and didn't; have a great game yesterday - he did look tired too.

It should be Mawson but he is not playing well enough - hopefully Hector steps in and bosses it and improves Mawson.

It should not be a loanee (Reed) imo unless we have plans to sign him permanently.

Woolly Mammoth

Agree with all assessments so far, personally I would pick Captain Bligh from Mutiny on the Bounty, he would shake them up, probably keelhaul a few of the players, but he was last seen becalmed in a rowing boat in the South Seas with a handful of other sailors stricken down with yellow fever, plus I am not sure what he is like with a football at his feet. All joking aside, TC as we know is unsuitable and has not got the leadership qualities associated with being a Captain. So the list is shorter than short, preferably somebody at the back who is facing play, and maybe Hector is that man.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sting of the North

The only thing a change of captain would do is demoralize one of our best players. Nothing else in my opinion. Leaders lead, and they don't need an armband to do so. If you think you need an armband to lead, you are not a leader.

Look around the football world and you will see that the armband quite often is an extra honor to one of your star players (like is so common in American team sport). It often means nothing else.

bobby01

Wow, good question Dave, not exactly blessed with candidates are we. I have no idea.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

davew

Quote from: bobby01 on January 02, 2020, 11:57:01 AM
Wow, good question Dave, not exactly blessed with candidates are we. I have no idea.
Thanks, no we aren´t!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 02, 2020, 11:55:01 AM
The only thing a change of captain would do is demoralize one of our best players. Nothing else in my opinion. Leaders lead, and they don't need an armband to do so. If you think you need an armband to lead, you are not a leader.

Look around the football world and you will see that the armband quite often is an extra honor to one of your star players (like is so common in American team sport). It often means nothing else.

It may be common in America and it may suit them, but not in England as far as I am concerned, yes of course there should be 11 captains on the field of play, or at least one captain and 10 Lieutenants. As for TC being demoralised, well he is not 11 years old any more, he cannot be indulged, if he cannot accept that he is not up to the task, and he is not, and he should know that, then the manager/ club is not setting a good example, as it should be for the player who has the best qualifications, not to polish TCs ego.
The fact that there are very few candidates if any, and signifies that the recruitment department have overlooked the character and make up of players who have been signed as it does not flag up on the stats program, which is another indication of the shortcomings of stats. Too many sheep in the team at the current moment, not enough Lions.  If you look back at all the successful teams, they are full of leaders and winners and warriors and fighters, no coincidence there because it's a fact. 
If his ego prevents him from coming to terms with the fact that he has not the character or charisma to be a leader of men, and it's up to whoever is manager to explain that to him, then so be it.

Never forget your Roots.

Lozzer

Would you genuinely risk upsetting our most creative spark by ripping the armband off him?

I know it doesn't happen for him every game, but thought we missed him badly yesterday.

You take the captaincy off him and he will surely look elsewhere.
We couldn't afford to do that surely?

Captaincy is role is overstated anyway.
We have more pressing issues I think.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Lozzer on January 02, 2020, 03:14:51 PM
Would you genuinely risk upsetting our most creative spark by ripping the armband off him?

I know it doesn't happen for him every game, but thought we missed him badly yesterday.

If as you say the Captaincy roll is over stated anyway, then TC should not be so upset as to call the Samaritans if it is not that big a deal. Upsetting is a word used far too many times these days because everyone gets offended so easily over the slightest issue that interferes with their lives. Probably because they have too much time to think about it. Playing football beats working for a living.
But TC is a lucky man if all he can get upset about is losing the captaincy, which he should never have been given in the first place. I can think of far more he should be upset about like losing at home to Reading and drawing away to Luton, and losing 3 in row v Brentford Preston and Bristol City. Now that is upsetting.

Never forget your Roots.

Lozzer

Not saying he should be too upset, but modern footballers can be a bit sensitive.

He was given it to keep him at Fulham.
Not much point going back on it now.

He wasn't on the pitch yesterday.
Didn't see many outstanding candidates.

Of those not on loan could only be Mitro or Ream?

davew

Quote from: Lozzer on January 02, 2020, 03:14:51 PM

In reply, yes, possibly, well good luck if that was the case, yes we can, no it isn´t and not sure about that either!

You scored 1 out of 6, next contender please (only joking)!

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 02, 2020, 01:58:33 PM

It may be common in America and it may suit them, but not in England as far as I am concerned, yes of course there should be 11 captains on the field of play, or at least one captain and 10 Lieutenants. As for TC being demoralised, well he is not 11 years old any more, he cannot be indulged, if he cannot accept that he is not up to the task, and he is not, and he should know that, then the manager/ club is not setting a good example, as it should be for the player who has the best qualifications, not to polish TCs ego.
The fact that there are very few candidates if any, and signifies that the recruitment department have overlooked the character and make up of players who have been signed as it does not flag up on the stats program, which is another indication of the shortcomings of stats. Too many sheep in the team at the current moment, not enough Lions.  If you look back at all the successful teams, they are full of leaders and winners and warriors and fighters, no coincidence there because it's a fact. 
If his ego prevents him from coming to terms with the fact that he has not the character or charisma to be a leader of men, and it's up to whoever is manager to explain that to him, then so be it.
Well said Woolly.
I sometimes think his playing contribution to the team is overated, people thinking back to his form of the past.
He does not as exactly lead by example as he frequently ducks 50/50's.co
Oh for an Alan Mullery type of captain.

Sting of the North

Are there good examples of Cairney generally ducking 50/50s this season? Or is maybe that in fact (and if so, slightly ironical) the best example of people looking at his past? Always easy to keep repeating old 'truths', isn't it?

As for who is captain, I again believe most players (except the ones with huge egos) couldn't give a toss about it. Our alleged lack of leaders will in my opinion not be resolved in the slightest by changing captains, and thus it will be a meaningless or maybe harmful action.

Woolly Mammoth

Then you shouldn't have anything to worry about should you, let us do the worrying.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jims Dentist on January 03, 2020, 06:39:47 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 02, 2020, 01:58:33 PM

Well said Woolly.
I sometimes think his playing contribution to the team is overated, people thinking back to his form of the past.
He does not as exactly lead by example as he frequently ducks 50/50's.co
Oh for an Alan Mullery type of captain.

Mullers, now he was a proper Captain, ran through a brick wall and came out fighting on the other side. Not only was he a great competitor, he was a players player, and led by example.

Never forget your Roots.

Matt10

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 03, 2020, 07:05:35 PM
Are there good examples of Cairney generally ducking 50/50s this season? Or is maybe that in fact (and if so, slightly ironical) the best example of people looking at his past? Always easy to keep repeating old 'truths', isn't it?

As for who is captain, I again believe most players (except the ones with huge egos) couldn't give a toss about it. Our alleged lack of leaders will in my opinion not be resolved in the slightest by changing captains, and thus it will be a meaningless or maybe harmful action.

I was going to say the same about Cairney. If anything, he's not backed down from any challenges. I always take note of how often he tackles, mainly because of how much he was criticized last year in Ranieri's system for not being able to tackle.

I think the captain needs to be whoever all players trust. Cairney strikes me as a subtle captain and won't get in your face about things. As a result, he may not get stuck in the weeds either about the little things. Who knows though, I'm not in the dressing room.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 03, 2020, 07:11:24 PM

Then you shouldn't have anything to worry about should you, let us do the worrying.

I am not overly worried, but might still want to add my two pence. I also noted in my post that I believe that it may be to the detriment of the team, which would of course be something to worry about because I want what is best for the team.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 03, 2020, 08:09:57 PM

I am not overly worried, but might still want to add my two pence. I also noted in my post that I believe that it may be to the detriment of the team, which would of course be something to worry about because I want what is best for the team.

As we all do ⚽️⚽️

Never forget your Roots.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 03, 2020, 08:31:10 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on January 03, 2020, 08:09:57 PM

As we all do ⚽️⚽️
And so say all of us, which is why I started the topic!