watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

VAR

Started by Andy S, January 05, 2020, 12:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I think that unless all games have VAR it is unfair to use it. It should have been switched off for this weekends matches. Referees have become to reliant on it to correct bad decisions.

Sting of the North

Who is it unfair against? And why?

Spirit of 2000

VAR in is present form is pathetic and needs to be dumped.  Either its clear and obvious mistake or the officials make the decision ... no elbow or toe offside bullcrap

Logicalman

Quote from: Andy S on January 05, 2020, 12:36:08 AM
I think that unless all games have VAR it is unfair to use it. It should have been switched off for this weekends matches. Referees have become to reliant on it to correct bad decisions.

I agree with the statement it shouldn't have been used for the FAC, but not because it would be unfair on teams, simply because unless ALL matches in the same competition are played under the same rules, then it becomes a farce, because, if a Prem teams plays a non-prem team at home and draws, then the replay would not be able to use VAR, so that makes the same fixture different for the same teams.

If VAR was to be used then it should have been used for all games, though, as we know, that is impractical. So what is the reason behind the FA ordering this solely for Prem team home matches then? They are trying to justify their pathetic attempt at forcing it upon the beautiful game.

I guess I still cannot understand the real reasons, even for using it in it's current form in the Prem, except, perhaps, if it were to be alleged that we have another Blatter in our midst masquerading as an FA official!!  In other news, anyone seen/heard of the whereabouts of 'Arry recently?   :023: :033:

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 05, 2020, 12:51:49 AM

My response above provides that answer I believe.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Andy S

Thanks Logical man I couldn't have put it better myself. In other words any club that does not have the facility. In the Watford game the Ref did not give Tranmere the pen. It was given by VAR. without it Watford have won.

H4usuallysitting

I think VAR should only be used when it favours us.... can't get fairer than that

Beamer

Whether it works or being used properly aside (different discussion), it's there for both sides on the day. If you follow the argument against through, you could argue that the same ref should be used for all games in case a different ref sees a situation differently from another.

Mince n Tatties

Every team bar Liverpool, they'd only be
Six points clear without Var.😊

grandad

The offside law needs to change. To be offside there must be clear daylight between the players. None of the present fingernail ,shirt blowing in the wind farce. Also this not interfering with play has to be dropped. Remember Bill Shankley saying that if one of his players is not interfering with play he will be dropped. Football is a simple game so why complicate it.

I am , however, happy for VAR to be used for the ball crossing the line, penalty decisions, diving & simulation. Ever since the offside law was introduced it has caused confusion in interpretation.
Where there's a will there's a wife

toshes mate

The level playing field yardstick suggests that was a mistake.  You could still argue that every team in every game was fairly dealt with in the same way but there has been a suspicion that VAR decisions have favoured certain teams more than others.  I personally would ban it everywhere especially on marginal offside because you simply cannot be certain you have the resolution required or the event precision (moment ball is kicked) exactly right.  We have goal technology and that is enough for me unless and until a method can be found to stop the howlers without adding more of its own howlers.  I'd just invest a lot more money into training more referees to a better standard especially since football is not exactly in poverty street and really could do with much better officials.

FFC365

Also this not interfering with play has to be dropped.....Knockaert's goal yesterday would have been disallowed as Fulham playing standing in an offside position.

toshes mate

Quote from: FFC365 on January 05, 2020, 09:26:18 AM
Also this not interfering with play has to be dropped.....Knockaert's goal yesterday would have been disallowed as Fulham playing standing in an offside position.
By the same rule Villa's goal may have been suspect too.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Logicalman on January 05, 2020, 03:36:42 AM

It still as far as I can see fails to address why it's unfair, and against who it is supposedly unfair. Sorry if I missed something though.

Sting of the North

Quote from: toshes mate on January 05, 2020, 09:16:06 AM
The level playing field yardstick suggests that was a mistake.  You could still argue that every team in every game was fairly dealt with in the same way but there has been a suspicion that VAR decisions have favoured certain teams more than others.  I personally would ban it everywhere especially on marginal offside because you simply cannot be certain you have the resolution required or the event precision (moment ball is kicked) exactly right.  We have goal technology and that is enough for me unless and until a method can be found to stop the howlers without adding more of its own howlers.  I'd just invest a lot more money into training more referees to a better standard especially since football is not exactly in poverty street and really could do with much better officials.

Unless the users of VAR is intentionally or unintentionally using it in favor of certain teams I still don't see why it's unfair. I am not a fan of suspicion without basis, but maybe there is evidence suggesting that some teams are actually getting an unfair advantage because of incorrect use of VAR.

I agree though that it is strange to decide to use it for only some games within the same competition. There could also be a debate as to whether it should be used at all, and about how to use it of course.

Logicalman

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 05, 2020, 11:52:48 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on January 05, 2020, 03:36:42 AM

It still as far as I can see fails to address why it's unfair, and against who it is supposedly unfair. Sorry if I missed something though.

It's unfair on BOTH teams if one match is played with VAR and a draw ensues and then the replay is not, as it hits directly to the fairness of the game to be played in the same circumstances. It would be not too dissimilar to playing one match with one set of rules and the next match with another, which, is exactly what it is, and there are a particular set of rules when using VAR that are not used when VAR is not being used. I can understand your point, as I see it, that on the face of it per match, then the rules are the same for both teams and therefore they suffer the same fate, but I would further contend that VAR causes a certain change to the game being played, and those teams (Prem) that are used to the delays, etc, are less affected by the US-style delays and breaks in the game than those that are not. How far or much that directly affects the teams, it's hard to fathom, but I would claim it must have some effect. Perhaps I'm off the mark here, just an opinion.

toshes mate

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 05, 2020, 12:08:15 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 05, 2020, 09:16:06 AM

Unless the users of VAR is intentionally or unintentionally using it in favor of certain teams I still don't see why it's unfair. I am not a fan of suspicion without basis, but maybe there is evidence suggesting that some teams are actually getting an unfair advantage because of incorrect use of VAR.

I agree though that it is strange to decide to use it for only some games within the same competition. There could also be a debate as to whether it should be used at all, and about how to use it of course.
The suspicion arises in much the same way as a single referee inconsistency within a ninety minute frame.  It is actually the inconsistency of officialdom that has always been a festering boil upon fairness and justice in most things and it is normally the actions of a few that spoil it for the many.

How can you possibly judge the moment a ball is kicked when the frame by frame broadcast speed is too fast for the human eye to see and too slow to pick up rapid movement (only possible via a high speed camera which strangely enough VAR doesn't even have seemingly because a) they are expensive; b) have to have very stable mounting and very 'smooth' operators and c) you would need quite a few of them at every game.   

Whitesideup

Quote from: toshes mate on January 05, 2020, 09:33:39 AM
Quote from: FFC365 on January 05, 2020, 09:26:18 AM
By the same rule Villa's goal may have been suspect too.
Big No to dropping the not interfering rule. It would make teams play even more to catch players offside and condense and constrict the playing area. Of course there will be some debatable decisions but normally it is clear enough. And as stated, many good goals would be ruled out,  ot at all what we want.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 05, 2020, 08:27:31 AM

Every team bar Liverpool, they'd only be
Six points clear without Var.😊

It is suggested that Liverpool are not only sponsored by VAR, but they are actually discussing adding VAR to their name
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

HV71

It is suggested that Liverpool are not only sponsored by VAR, but they are actually discussing adding VAR to their name

Surely it's already there

Don't they sing ' LIV AR POOL - LIV AR POOL '