watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Clean Sheets

Started by Woolly Mammoth, January 12, 2020, 02:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

That is two clean sheets in the last three Leagues games. I never thought I would say that, but that is more like it. Small steps but in the right direction, and this has to become a good habit, which will in turn breed more consistency and that domino effect will also breed more confidence in the team, management and coaching staff.
Nothing a goalkeeper loves more than to walk off the pitch at the end of the game without conceding a goal, especially if it has initiated a victory by keeping a clean sheet.
Good habits and game management all contribute, as well as doing the basics correctly. Then if the players make the effort to win their own battles in conjunction with playing within the framework of the team, then there will be more clean sheets and more consistent results, which all contribute to a recipe for success.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Mince n Tatties

Your right Woolly, I was a goalie,you do feel
good walking off at end keeping a clean sheet..

The Rational Fan

Last Season, Norwich conceeded more goals than eight teams Stoke, Forest, Middlesbough, Bristol, Middlesbough, Derby, Leeds and Sheffield United. Norwich scores an extra goal every second game.

Finnans Right Peg

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 12, 2020, 07:19:07 AM
Last Season, Norwich conceeded more goals than eight teams Stoke, Forest, Middlesbough, Bristol, Middlesbough, Derby, Leeds and Sheffield United. Norwich scores an extra goal every second game.
And like us when we went up they are still conceding goals where as sheff utd are not a better defensive unit not only gives us a better chance of going up but also a better chance of staying there

colinwhite

Good post . KMac and Hector along with Onomahs strength and running has made us much harder to beat, as well as having 2 primarilly´defensive full backs.Nice to see us not being a pushover . What is also clear is that the players are fighting for each other ,Parker ,and their places in the team.

Andy S

There are positives all around when a team that has beaten you 3-0 is beaten. Even if it is not a pretty game. So let's work hard on Friday night and make it a very good week.

bog

They kept Jarrod Bowen quiet, as an old sod I cannot recall the last time we won up there with that second half capitulation conceding 6 goals still a vivid pain of embarrassment.... :doh:.

092.gif 

toshes mate

The erudite part of WM's OP is important since a clean sheet, if nothing else, guarantees at least a point from very game.  It also raises morale among defenders under stress from conceding too many goals in patches of inconsistent performances.  But, of course, there is much more to football than clean sheets, and teams that habitually outscore opponents always win games, something that clean sheets do not ensure. My own personal wish is to see our opponent's defences and 'keepers being taken apart by inspired attacks with simple goals that come via intelligent build ups from our players.  The current glut of super shots winning games is always pleasing to the eye, but I wish we could just open up defences via clever and well choreographed attacking guile which threatens our opponents almost every time we have possession.

We are still scrapping for points which doesn't edify the supposed superiority of our squad.   Okay for yesterday's visit to where we seldom win games but, for the long term, no, it won't work, IMHO.

filham

Quote from: toshes mate on January 12, 2020, 09:56:59 AM
The erudite part of WM's OP is important since a clean sheet, if nothing else, guarantees at least a point from very game.  It also raises morale among defenders under stress from conceding too many goals in patches of inconsistent performances.  But, of course, there is much more to football than clean sheets, and teams that habitually outscore opponents always win games, something that clean sheets do not ensure. My own personal wish is to see our opponent's defences and 'keepers being taken apart by inspired attacks with simple goals that come via intelligent build ups from our players.  The current glut of super shots winning games is always pleasing to the eye, but I wish we could just open up defences via clever and well choreographed attacking guile which threatens our opponents almost every time we have possession.

We are still scrapping for points which doesn't edify the supposed superiority of our squad.   Okay for yesterday's visit to where we seldom win games but, for the long term, no, it won't work, IMHO.

Yes, I fully agree. If we don't score at least two goals at the Cottage on Friday I will consider we have failed.

colinwhite

Ill take 1-0 all day long !

Andy S

The old Leeds team under Don Revie many years ago went away from home and defended. It's different at home but away a point is always good. If they could snatch a goal or score a few they would but the bottom line was a draw. Every team they played their team would be given a dossier on opponents. They would know what they had to do. And then practice and work hard. But they were as boring as hell

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on January 12, 2020, 10:50:45 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 12, 2020, 09:56:59 AM

Yes, I fully agree. If we don't score at least two goals at the Cottage on Friday I will consider we have failed.

Unless the rules have changed and Fulham as the home team can field more players than Borough, then unfortunately you may have to prepare yourself for a disappointing evening.
So it is 11 v 11 and there will be another team on the pitch who will have done their homework and prepared and organised themselves into a system of play that may counter anything Fulham throw at them, because their defence stays firm under pressure. Add some rub of the green and some poor refereeing decisions and all of a sudden Fulham have a game on their hands. Also we may not have Mitro and Kamara may not be fit either.
That is why whether as a team we are playing well or poorly, a strong gritty defence will always be a good platform to win a game, either in a cavalier fashion or with caution based on percentages, that is why the first 90 minutes is the most important, because the balance of play can change from one team to another, as the saying goes, try and score when you are on top.
Do not misunderstand me, I as much as anyone would prefer to win 5 4 as opposed to 1 0 if it was guaranteed, as like everyone else I love swashbuckling football, with the exercise is to score more goals than your opponents, because if you do you win the game, Roy of the Rovers stuff.
However, I am a realist and in the real world it does not work like that, only in cartoon land could it be guaranteed.
No matter how well you are playing, It only takes one lack of concentration by a defender, one error of judgement, one wayward pass, one poor refereeing decision or a worldy by an opponent and we are 1 0 in arrears and chasing the game, and when you are chasing the game it can be mentally and physically more tiring, you then lose your shape, and 1 0 down all of a sudden turns to 2 0 down, how may times does that happen, and that can sometimes knock the stuffing out of some players.
Goals change games, whether you have more possession than not.
Let me put it another way, if the defence is is leaking unnecessarily goals it puts more pressure on the attack to score more goals, if the attack are missing easy opportunities it puts more pressure on the defence not to concede, and as we know, a lot of players do not play well under pressure. In the Championship more than any other Division it is dog eat dog, nobody remembers losers and managers lose their job on the whim of an unqualified D of F, ask Slavisa he will confirm.
You won first then ask questions later.
Make yourselves hard to beat first, if you keep a clean sheet you only need to score one goal to win a game.
You only have to look back over this season alone to see how a leaky defence cost us points. Of course poor finishing costs us points as well, but a good forward will always be more expensive generally than a good defender.
So please do not be too disappointed if we only win 1 0, be thankful and grateful for small mercy's. Like anyone I want to see goals from Fulham and more goals, and that may happen, but there will be 11 players on the other team with other ideas, and if they are successful in parking the Red Double Decker, then they may go home with at least a point, and I doubt that they will be complaining.
I can remember those wonderful days in the early 70s when we had Steve Earle, Les Barrett, Vic Halom and Jimmy Conway scoring goals for fun.
Winning midweek at Halifax Town 8 2, then the following Saturday winning 4 1 at Stockport County, then winning 4 0 at the old Reading ground, winning at home to Plymouth Argyle 4 3, winning away to Mansfield Town 3 2, etc etc, we were a goal machine be it in the old Division 2. Great memories and I would love to see it again, but it is not that easy, let's be grateful for three points, be it 1 0 or 5 4. But you still need players who can win games for you in the same way you need players who can save games for you.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: bog on January 12, 2020, 09:38:06 AM
They kept Jarrod Bowen quiet, as an old sod I cannot recall the last time we won up there with that second half capitulation conceding 6 goals still a vivid pain of embarrassment.... :doh:.

092.gif 

First time we've won there.

MJG

Big Sam always made a point about clean sheets being worth so much across the season.
The last stat I saw was for every clean sheet in the league (All 4 Divs) it was worth 2.6 pts per game.
So 10 clean sheets in a season and you are on 26 points straight away pretty much
Just the views of a long term fan

filham

Quote from: colinwhite on January 12, 2020, 11:47:18 AM
Ill take 1-0 all day long !
That means a nail biting last ten minutes when anything can happen. an offside goal, a deflected goal, a tough handball call, a typical mistake from a defender, and own goal etc.
No I want the comfort of a two goal lead for the last half hour.
Come on we are promotion contenders playing at home with the leagues top scorer as our main striker, we have to be capable of at least two goals.

colinwhite

Of course we all want to thrash them with as many goals possible! But a 1-0 victory (despite the undoubted anguish which you describe ) cannot be described as failure as we will have three points.Our win on saturday was vital and positive and in my view deserved. Cant understand some of the criticism that performance has taken .

RaySmith

A 1-0  win will mean three more lovely points, despite  possible nail biting.
A lot better than 2, 3 or 4 all, or a 4- 3, or any, defeat.

This will be another tough game, and a win is by no means assured, but if we, hopefully, get one, then that should be  a cause  for celebration, whatever the score.

YankeeJim

Quote from: RaySmith on January 12, 2020, 10:11:29 PM
A 1-0  win will mean three more lovely points, despite  possible nail biting.
A lot better than 2, 3 or 4 all, or a 4- 3, or any, defeat.

This will be another tough game, and a win is by no means assured, but if we, hopefully, get one, then that should be  a cause  for celebration, whatever the score.

As a budget consideration, I can think of better ways to save money on manicures other than winning 1 nil.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

The Rational Fan

We play five teams (Birmingham, Charlton, Huddersfield, Barnsley and Wigan) that can make the playoffs and may get relegated that would be happy with a clean sheet draw. If our defense improves, half the division will be trying to get clean sheet draws against us; but clean sheet draws are not good for us we need to win.