Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 17/01/20...

Started by WhiteJC, January 16, 2020, 10:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham v Middlesborough
FRI 17 Jan 2020  Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 18 league goals this season, the same tally as Brentford's Ollie Watkins

Aleksandar Mitrovic will miss Fulham's game with Middlesbrough on Friday as the Whites look for a win that will take them third in the Championship.

The Serbia striker injured his ankle in Saturday's win at Hull and is likely to be out for two or three weeks.

Middlesbrough, beaten in the FA Cup by Tottenham on Tuesday, are still without striker Britt Assombalonga and centre-back Daniel Ayala (both ankle).

Defenders Ryan Shotton, George Friend and Anfernee Dijksteel are also out.

As well as Mitrovic, Fulham will be unable to call upon midfielder Harrison Reed (calf) and forward Aboubakar Kamara, who has an ankle injury.

The west London club have won two of their past three games and are fourth in the table, seven points behind second-placed Leeds United.

Match facts

Fulham are winless in their last two home league games against Middlesbrough (D1 L1) since winning 4-3 in April 2015.
    Middlesbrough have won none of their last four matches against Fulham in all competitions (D2 L2) since a 2-0 victory in the Championship back in February 2016.
    Fulham have not lost consecutive home Championship games since October 2016.
    Middlesbrough striker Ashley Fletcher has scored in each of his last two away league games - he had scored only once in his previous 10 away games this season.
    Since his debut in February 2018, Fulham's injured striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored 35% of the club's goals in all competitions (41 of 116).
    Since losing 4-0 at Leeds United in November, Middlesbrough have taken more points than any other Championship side (W5 D2 L1 - 17 points).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51058095

WhiteJC

99 interceptions: Fulham's reported move for Rangers rock would create one of the Championship's best duos

With the halfway point of the 2019/20 season having now passes, Fulham fans would be forgiven for feeling rather underwhelmed with their campaign so far.

Following their emphatic relegation from the Premier League, an immediate promotion back to the top-flight would be the only palatable option from the current term.

And whilst promotion is still very much on the cards, with the Whites perched in fourth place, they remain seven points behind Leeds United who currently hold the final spot in the automatic promotion places.

This window could therefore prove crucial.

One thing that Scott Parker and the club got badly wrong in the summer was their failure to strengthen at the back, with Michael Hector's arrival only going through at the start of this month.

But, if recent rumours are to be believed, they are on their way to rectifying that.

On Wednesday the club were linked with a move for Rangers centre-back Connor Goldson by Football Insider, a man who has been an ever present under Steven Gerrard this season.

Here we take a look at his stats from the current campaign, and whether or not he would make a good acquisition for Fulham:

What has been apparent at Craven Cottage this year is that Fulham have a crop of defenders who are good footballers but not particularly good defenders.

The likes of Alfie Mawson, Tim Ream and Maxime Le Marchand are all very capable with the ball at their feet, but in terms of snuffing out chances for the opposition and winning physical battles, they have each left a lot to be desired.

Hector will go a long way to solving that, but bringing in Goldson as well would give Fulham the centre-back pairing they should have really started the season with.

Goldson has really thrived since moving to Rangers from Brighton in the summer of 2018, with this season looking like being his best yet.

He has not missed a minute for the club, as they push for a league title, with his physicality at the back proving a big part of their success. He has won just under 64% of his duels this season, and cleared the ball 67 times.

There is much more on offer with Goldson than just physicality, however. His intelligence and reading of the game ensures that he does not always have to get himself into duels, intercepting the ball 99 times, or once every 18 minutes in the league this season – that is impressive at any level.

The Whites have nothing to worry about in terms of his footballing side either. Where Mawson and Ream thrive, Goldson measures up as well, completing 87% of his passess this season, showing that he has what is needed to slot seemlessly into the back four at Craven Cottage.

Parker has had a lot of stick this season from fans at times, and some of it has been deserved, but if he moves to bring Goldson to the club, there can be no question that he is moving in the right direction. Pairing Hector with Goldson would create one of the second-tier's most formidable defensive duos.

The 27-year-old is just what they need.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/99-interceptions-fulhams-reported-move-for-rangers-rock-would-create-one-of-the-championships-best-duos/

WhiteJC

"Within next 48 hours" – Move within Championship possible as Fulham player's agent sends warning

On Wednesday we covered claims from Sweden regarding the future of Luca de la Torre.

With a Fulham contract expiring in the summer, the 21 year old is now able to speak with other clubs. He's only had a handful of minutes in the Championship so far this season, so an exit looks the likeliest outcome, and talks have been ongoing in that regard.

Djurgården sporting director Bosse Andersson was quoted yesterday as saying: "It is true that we have contact with Luca de la Torre. We've been talking to him for a while. But without us yet agreeing.

"This isn't a player just known to us today. This player is well known to us since a good time back. He's interesting. He's a good player with great qualities, but as I said we have no agreement."

There was even a suggestion the Fulham player could be unveiled by Djurgården at the weekend, something Andersson didn't want to get into.

Now Fotboll Direkt have spoken to the player's agent, and he doesn't sound like he's got a lot of patience left with the Swedish club, dropping hints about walking away from their interest.

Lance Davids sent a warning out and even suggested De La Torre could leave Fulham for another Championship club, if Djurgården don't hurry: "It is true that we met Djurgården on Sunday, we had a good conversation. But we have interest from several places, including from another Championship club. We need to get a message from Djurgården soon, within the next 48 hours."

There's been no talk of paying Fulham a fee, so perhaps there's an assumption the club will let him go for free in January.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/within-next-48-hours-move-within-championship-possible-fulham-players-agent-sends-warning/

WhiteJC

How Fulham's XI could look if all the latest transfer rumours materialised

Just like most clubs in the Championship, the January transfer window looks like it could well be decisive in determining where Fulham finish in the second-tier come May.

Following their relegation from the Premier League last season, the Whites set their sights on an immediate return to the promised land and, currently sat in fourth place, it is still on – although seven points separate them from the top two.

There have been plenty of rumours surrounding them.

Leicester City midfielder Daniel Amartey has been linked with a move to Craven Cottage, as has Rangers' Connor Goldson.

Former Millwall man Jordan Archer has already made the move official whilst Michael Hector eventually got his own deal across the line as well.

But with Joe Bryan being linked with the likes of Southampton and Watford, they need to be wary of potentially losing their star men as well.

So, with two weeks until the transfer window slams shut, we take a look at how Scott Parker could set-up his side if these rumours come to fruition...

Whilst it is unlikely that Marek Rodak will be dropped straight away, Archer's arrival does at least give Parker another option after, seemingly, losing faith in Marcus Bettinelli.

If Joe Bryan does leave, it could be a case of Steven Sessegnon filling in on the left with no apparent deals for a new full-back in the offing, whilst Denis Odoi remains on the right.

However, in the centre of defence they look look like they could improve dramatically, with Hector and Goldson likely to form an extremely resilient partnership.

The only other new face being talked about is Leicester's Amartey who would slot comfortably into the club's favoured midfield three, with his energy likely to match Stefan Johansen's own industry and allow Tom Cairney to push on creatively and provid for Cavaleiro, Mitrovic and Knockaert.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/how-fulhams-xi-could-look-if-all-the-latest-transfer-rumours-materialised/

WhiteJC

LOAN: TERENCE KONGOLO JOINS FULHAM

Defender joins London club for the rest of the season

- Terence Kongolo departs Huddersfield Town on loan
- Defender joins Fulham for the remainder of the 2019/20 campaign
- Netherlands international moves to London club

Huddersfield Town defender Terence Kongolo has today joined Sky Bet Championship side Fulham on loan for the rest of the 2019/20 season.

The 25-year-old has made 11 appearances for Huddersfield Town so far this season, his last coming in the Club's defeat to Bristol City at the end of November.

Terence joined Town in January 2018 on loan from AS Monaco before signing permanently the following summer. During his time with the Terriers, the defender has made 56 appearances, scoring one goal.

The Netherlands international will now join the Cottagers for the remainder of the campaign under the stewardship of Scott Parker.

Fulham currently sit fourth in the Sky Bet Championship table with 45 points from 27 games.

The defender's contract at Town runs until the summer of 2022.

https://www.htafc.com/news/2020/january/terence-kongolo-joins-fulham/

WhiteJC

Kongolo Signs On Loan

The Club is delighted to announce the loan signing of defender Terence Kongolo from Huddersfield Town.

The 25-year-old, who is equally comfortable playing as a centre-half or at left-back, will be at Craven Cottage for the rest of the season.

Speaking to FFCtv after signing, Kongolo said: "I am really happy with this move. Fulham is a big team pushing for promotion so for me this a perfect move.

"I really want to show my qualities and the next six months are very important. I like the winning mentality here and I want to give everything to help this Club get promoted."

Tony Khan added: "Terence Kongolo is a strong addition to our squad, and he'll add depth to our defence for the remainder of the season. He's an exciting young player with good experience in both the Championship and the Premier League, and he'll help us in our challenge for promotion! Come on Fulham!"

Born in Switzerland but raised in the Netherlands, Kongolo has four full Dutch caps to his name, and was part of the squad that came third at the 2014 World Cup, aged just 20.

Kongolo rose through the youth ranks at Feyenoord, and was given an Eredivisie debut by Ronald Koeman in April 2012.

By the 2013/14 season he had established himself as a first choice defender in the Feyenoord backline, with his form earning him a place on the plane to Brazil.

Despite considerable interest in his services, Feyenoord managed to keep hold of Kongolo, and he played a major role in their successes over the next three seasons – most notably winning the KNVB Cup in 2016, and a first Eredivisie title in almost 20 years in 2017.

Kongolo then joined French champions AS Monaco for a reported £13.5m fee, where he was given a first taste of Champions League football.

A move to the Premier League was next, and Kongolo played a key role in helping Huddersfield retain their top flight status in the second half of the 2017/18 season.

His form convinced the Terriers to make him their club record signing for £17.5m in the summer, and he departs having made 43 appearances for the West Yorkshire outfit.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/january/16/terence-kongolo-signs-on-loan

WhiteJC

Huddersfield Town defender Terence Kongolo excited by the challenge after completing loan move to Fulham

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN defender Terence Kongolo has completed his move to Championship promotion-chasers Fulham on loan for the rest of the 2019-20 season.

The Netherlands international, 25, was the club's record signing when he joined for £17.5m from Monaco in the summer of 2018 following a successful initial half-season loan.

Kongolo has made 11 appearances for the Terriers this season, but has fallen out of favour in the last few months with his final appearance coming in the 5-2 defeat at Bristol City on November 30.

The centre-half, who can also operate at left-back, has made 56 appearances in total for Town, scoring one goal.

On his move, Kongolo said: "I am really happy with this move. Fulham is a big team pushing for promotion so for me this a perfect move.

"I really want to show my qualities and the next six months are very important. I like the winning mentality here and I want to give everything to help this club get promoted."

Kongolo will compete with the likes of Alfie Mawson, Michael Hector and Tim Ream for a starting spot in Scott Parker's starting line-up as Fulham seek to book an instant return to the Premier League.

Kongolo's contract at Huddersfield runs until the summer of 2022.

On the incoming front, Huddersfield - who have completed the signing of experienced Leicester City midfielder Andy King on loan for the rest of the season - are interested in Lincoln City left-back Harry Toffolo, who previously worked with Town chief Danny Cowley at Sincil Bank.

Toffolo's contract expires in the summer, but there is a clause for extension which can be triggered by the player, with Lincoln manager Michael Appleton revealing on Thursday that the player's situation is likely to become clearer by the weekend.

Last week, Town also brought in former Sheffield United centre-half Richard Stearman and Arsenal winger Emile Smith Rowe, who could be handed debuts in Saturday's Championship home game with Brentford.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/huddersfield-town-defender-terence-kongolo-excited-by-the-challenge-after-completing-loan-move-to-fulham-1-10206036

WhiteJC

Kongolo joins Fulham on loan

Fulham have signed Huddersfield's Dutch defender Terence Kongolo on loan until the end of the season.

The 25 year-old moves to Craven Cottage after falling out of favour at Huddersfield, having made just 11 first-team appearances this season. Kongolo, whose immense performances during his initial loan spell with the Terriers convinced Town to make him their record signing in 2018, told Fulham's website that he was delighted with the opportunity to make an impact as the Whites push for promotion:

I am really happy with this move. Fulham is a big team pushing for promotion so for me this a perfect move. I really want to show my qualities and the next six months are very important. I like the winning mentality here and I want to give everything to help this Club get promoted.

Kongolo, who came through the Feyenoord youth system, made his senior debut under Ronald Koeman in 2012 and became a key part of the side that clinched the club's first league title in twenty years in 2017. He got a taste of Champions' League football following a big-money move to AS Monaco and starred on loan as Huddersfield survived relegation in 2018. He has made 56 senior appearances for the Terriers, scoring a single goal.

Kongolo, who can play either at left back or in central defence, will likely compete with Alfie Mawson, Tim Ream, Michael Hector and Denis Odoi for a position at the heart of Scott Parker's back four. He has won four senior caps for his country and was part of the Dutch squad that finished fourth at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2020/01/kongolo-joins-fulham-on-loan/

WhiteJC

Fulham confirm Kongolo arrival

Fulham have confirmed the signing of Terence Kongolo on loan from Huddersfield Town until the end of the season.

The Dutch international was at a dead end at Huddersfield Town, who signed the versatile defender from AS Monaco for €20 million in 2018.

Fulham have now offered Kongolo a chance to regain some form and play a part in their promotion push.

Kongolo told the Fulham website, "I am really happy with this move. Fulham is a big team pushing for promotion so for me this a perfect move.

"I really want to show my qualities and the next six months are very important. I like the winning mentality here and I want to give everything to help this Club get promoted."

There is no mention of an option to make the deal permanent at the end of the loan.

http://www.football-oranje.com/fulham-confirm-kongolo-arrival/

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough go to Fulham as 'a force to be reckoned with' says upbeat Adam Clayton

Boro have dramatically raised the levels of performance and improved result to raise the bar of late says midfielder

Middlesbrough have raised the bar and will go to Fulham tonight looking to win.

The squad is surging with belief after their recent revival and after away wins at summit sides West Brom and Preston will be looking for another scalp at Craven Cottage says Adam Clayton.

They are once more a force to be reckoned with and are 'like the old Boro' again he declared.   

"I wouldn't say we will go there expecting to win but I would say we will go there expecting to perform," said the anchorman.

"And if we perform, I think we can beat Fulham. I think we can beat anyone in the Championship when we play the way we've been playing.

"We showed that away at West Brom, who were top of the league, and away at Preston, who had the best home record in the Championship.

"We'll go to Fulham and as long as we keep the work ethic up and the running we've been putting in -  some of the lads have been doing over 1200 high intensity in every game -  then we'll be good.

"They're unbelievable numbers to be doing week in, week out, so we've got to keep them things up and we'll be okay."

Boro travel in great form. Only a last gasp leveller against Derby stopped them clocking up a fifth successive win last weekend.

Then they took Champions League finalists Spurs all the way in a spirited second of a 2-1 FA Cup replay defeat on Tuesday.

It's all a far cry from the last time the teams met back in October when a struggling side laboured away and failed to break down 10 man Fulham in a goalless draw.

That drab and toothless encounter extended Boro's run to seven without a win and left them in the relegation spots.

Fast forward to Craven Cottage tonight and Boro kick-off as one of the Championship's form sides and just eight points shy of the  play-off spots and bubbling with optimism. That's quite a transformation. 

"The bar has been raised but that's what we want," said elder statesman Clayton.

"I said after the West Brom game, I've been waiting for that feeling of going to a top team and getting a proper away result.

"It was a proper away day, like we've had for the last four years. It felt like the old Boro again.

"We can go to places and win, and we're a force to be reckoned with.

"It was really refreshing and I think the young lads have felt that for the first time.

"I think they believe now, which is probably the biggest thing, especially after the start to the season.

"We played well at Luton and against Brentford but didn't really get the results and then confidence went a little bit.

"If those two had gone the other way, this run could have started a lot earlier and who knows?

"But we'll keep training hard. The gaffer's sessions are top class. We'll keep going and enjoying it day to day."

With two games in London this week the entire first team set-up decamped to the capital en masse.

The full squad, coaching and medical teams, analysts and press office have all been in London since Monday.

Boss Jonathan Woodgate said he wasn't happy at being away for five days but the disruption of routine was probably better than the prospects of travelling home in between games.

Boro have been staying in a plush West London hotel and training at the Crystal Palace complex.

But Clayton insists the different surrounds and dislocation is no problem for a fully focused squad.

"It won't affect anything," he said. "We are professionals and we just get on with the work.

"And it is no problem," he laughed. "We're in a seven-star hotel - my room is bigger than my house.

"I'm away from my new daughter for the first time properly so that's a bit tough, but at least I get a night's good kip!

"I think the best decision that could have been made was to stay down. We can train, rest and get ready, and then we'll be home to see the families in three or four days.

"This is our job, this is our life, so we'll be ready for Fulham no matter what."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-go-fulham-a-force-17581155

WhiteJC

Fulham v Middlesbrough: Youthful Boro can still make play-offs – Adam Clayton

CRAVEN COTTAGE was famously the venue for a headline statement of intent from Middlesbrough back in May 2006.

Ahead of Boro's Uefa Cup final in Eindhoven, former manager Steve McClaren – soon bound for the England job – selected a squad almost totally composed of young prospects for their final top-flight game of the season against Fulham.

The Boro team that started had an average age of 20 and was – and still is to this day – the youngest starting line-up in Premier League history.

Well over a decade on and the flower of youth is again blossoming at Boro, whose recent renaissance has featured some absorbing contributions from the likes of Djed Spence, Hayden Coulson and Aynsley Pears.

All three are likely to start tonight and it promises to be a special night for ex-Cottagers' academy player Spence.

The current mood in the Boro ranks contrasts sharply with the emotions back on October 26 after a 0-0 draw in the reverse fixture with Fulham, who must make do without attacking talisman Alexsandar Mitrovic this evening through injury.

It was a game which saw the Teessiders drop into the relegation zone after failing to cash in on having an extra man for 73 minutes after the dismissal of keeper Marek Rodak, with the mood music being far from positive for Jonathan Woodgate.

Now, Boro are 10 points above the trap door, with their improvement having even prompted midfielder Adam Clayton to talk up their potential as outsiders for the play-offs.

He said: "Obviously we cannot get carried away. We need to keep our feet on the ground and not be complacent.

"But I think we can have a really good go at it. And yes, we've got half an eye on the play-offs. I think in this league you have to."

It may be optimistic chatter, but still represents a barometer of the change in mindset at Boro since the start of December.

Last night, Boro completed the signing of Austrian goalkeeper Dejan Stojanovic from Swiss side St Gallen.

The 26-year-old, who has also played in Serie B with Bologna, has joined on a three-and-a-half year contract and comes in after the exit of Darren Randolph.

Last six games: Fulham WDWLWW; Middlesbrough WWWDDL.

Referee: D Webb (Co Durham).

Last time: Fulham 1 Middlesbrough 1, September 23, 2017; Championship.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/fulham-v-middlesbrough-youthful-boro-can-still-make-play-offs-adam-clayton-1-10206055

WhiteJC

3 Fulham players who will surely be happy if club seals deal for Rangers man

Fulham will be eager to carry out some effective transfer business this month as they look to reignite their push for an immediate return to the Premier League.

And the latest name to be linked with a move to Craven Cottage is Rangers' rock-like centr-back Connor Goldson, with Football Insider reporting that the club have been thoroughly impressed with his displays at Ibrox so far this season.

With the likes of Ivan Cavaleiro, Tom Cairney and Aleksandar Mitrovic all impressing in attack, it has been at the back where The Whites have been found wanting on many occasions.

As such, Goldson is likely to be a popular signing if he is brought in – amongst both players and fans.

Here we take a look at THREE players who will surely be delighted to see him arrive (if he does)...

Michael Hector
The defender has only officially been registered as a Fulham player for a matter of weeks but is likely to become the club's new first-choice centre back.

With the likes of Tim Ream, Maxime Le Marchand and Alfie Mawson all failing to convince regularly this season, the former Chelsea man would almost certainly welcome the increased competition for places alongside him.

Marek Rodak
Rodak has been largely impressive this season between the sticks for Scott Parker, but every goalkeeper ultimately wants to face as few shots as possible.

Goldson is a notoriously brave defender. Willing to put his head in where it hurts and put his body on the line to keep out the opposition.

So whilst Rodak will still back himself to save any shots he faces, and so he should, having a defender like that in the side will undoubtedly make his job significantly easier.

Tom Cairney
Cairney has once again proved there are few better midfielders in the second tier than him, but he has perhaps even been playing below his usual standards at times this season as well.

This could be due to the midfield being tasked with defending more in the opening half of the season as a result of a centre-back pairing who need more protection than others might.

Goldson's arrival may well allow the playmaker to do what he does best more often. The defender has also already netted three goals for Rangers this season, so having someone else to get on the end of his set-pieces will be of huge appeal to Cairney as well.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-fulham-players-who-will-surely-be-happy-if-club-seals-deal-for-rangers-man/

WhiteJC

The likely changes that Middlesbrough boss Jonathan Woodgate could make for Fulham test

Middlesbrough return to Championship action on Friday night as they take on Fulham at Craven Cottage.

The Teessiders are on a run of five games without defeat in the league – a run which has seen them move away from the relegation zone.

Jonathan Woodgate's side suffered a 2-1 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup third round replay midweek meaning that while tiredness could be an issue for the North East side, they'll be determined to get back to winning ways against Scott Parker's side.

Fulham will no doubt provide a difficult test given their hopes of challenging for promotion this term, and Woodgate will have some key decisions to make as he looks to squeeze every drop out of his injury-hit squad.

But who should start for Middlesbrough? We take a look at the options facing the Boro boss.

Darren Randolph's move to West Ham makes it slightly easier for Jonathan Woodgate to pick a goalkeeper.

Tomas Mejias started the FA Cup clash with Spurs but was responsible for the opening goal after a horrific mistake gifted Giovani Lo Celso the ball on the edge of the area.

That means that Aynsley Pears is expected to return between the sticks.

In defence a number of injuries means that options are fairly limited.

Djed Spence, Jonny Howson, Dael Fry and Paddy McNair started against Tottenham and given the lack of options at Woodgate's disposal it'll be a surprise if they don't start again at Craven Cottage.

Marvin Johnson started down the left in North London but it's likely that Hayden Coulson will return to the side after being rested.

Howson and McNair's continued selection in defence means that the midfield area is another with limited options.

Adam Clayton started the game against Spurs but could sit this one out with George Saville certain to return to the starting line-up.

He should join Lewis Wing in the centre of the park, with Ben Liddle also likely to drop out of the side after his first senior start mid-week.

Marcus Tavernier and Patrick Roberts were named as substitutes to face Spurs and should return to the starting line-up after their impressive displays against Derby County last week.

They'll support Ashley Fletcher who – despite starting against Tottenham – should lead the line given his excellent recent form.

That means that Lukas Nmecha and Rudy Gestede will be waiting in the wings for the clash with Craven Cottage, while Britt Assombalonga will no doubt miss out again through injury.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/jonathan-woodgate-to-ring-the-changes-as-middlesbrough-prepare-for-fulham-test/

WhiteJC

Fulham confirm arrival of 25-y/o from Championship rivals

Fulham have confirmed the signing of Huddersfield Town centre-back Terrence Kongolo on a loan deal that will run until the end of the 2019/20 season.

The 25-year-old has arrived to bolster the Whites' defensive line, and is capable of playing both in the centre and on the left-hand side of defence, with Scott Parker no doubt hoping that he will help restore some solidity to the side.

This season has seen him make 11 second-tier appearances for The Terriers since their relegation from the Premier League, but he has not been involved in the matchday squad since the 5-2 loss to Bristol City at the end of November.

He was a regular throughout the club's second season in the Premier League, however, racking up 32 appearances as they plummeted to the foot of the table, notching one goal and an assist in the campaign.

Along with goalkeeper Jordan Archer, Fulham have now made two new signings this month, as well as finally confirming the arrival of Michael Hector from Chelsea.

Fulham currently sit in fourth place with over half of the season having now elapsed but with seven points still between themselves and Leeds United, who occupy the final place in the automatic promotion places.

The verdict

I don't think this is a bad signing for Fulham by any means but I also feel like they probably could have brought in somebody more effective.

Kongolo has clearly fallen out of favour with Danny Cowley and, as much as Fulham need to bring in defensive reinforcements, I feel like moving for somebody a bit more up and coming on a permanent deal may have been the better way to go about things.

But, having said that, Kongolo's versatility will prove very useful in the run-in.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-confirm-arrival-of-25-y-o-from-championship-rivals/

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough boss Jonathan Woodgate will 'shake things up' for tough test at Fulham

'It's our third game in six days so it's stacked against us,' says the Boro boss, who's set to make changes

Jonathan Woodgate believes Fulham will be just as tough a nut to crack as West Brom and Preston.

Middlebrough reserved two of their best performances of the campaign so far for their Yuletide visits to The Hawthorns and Deepdale, winning both games 2-0.

Now, they are looking to record a third successive Championship away win on the spin at Craven Cottage tonight (ko 7.45pm).

Boro have been preparing for the game at Crystal Palace's training ground, making the return journey from their base in Chiswick, west London.

Woodgate didn't want his players to have to make the long journey north in the early hours of Wednesday morning following the 2-1 FA Cup loss and Spurs only to return back to the capital a day later.

Speaking to Teesside Live at the team hotel in London, the Boro boss said: "It was worthwhile staying down here because the travelling would have been a nightmare going back late the other night and travelling back down the next day."

On the game, he added: "I'll shake things up a bit and make changes. Three games in six days so I'll have to make changes.

"Fulham are seven points off automatic promotion, one of the best teams in the Championship.

"They got relegated from the Premier League last year and they still have a lot of Premier League players."

Fulham boss Scott Parker will be without his talismanic striker Aleksander Mitrovic but the hosts will still be a tough team to overcome.

"They're going to miss Mitrovic but they've still got some very good players," said Woodgate.

"It's a difficult place to go. Just as hard as Preston, just as hard as West Brom.

"Can we win? Who knows. It's our third game in six days so it's stacked against us. We might have to look at the formation, we might have to look at a four so let's see."

The Boro players should be full of confidence after giving Spurs a fright in two well-contested FA Cup ties.

Tuesday's 2-1 defeat was an important lesson for the players, says Woodgate.

"It had no effect on their confidence at all," he said. "They'll be more positive because they will realise what they can do when they don't make little mistakes.

"That's the thing - two mistakes led to two goals. You can't do that against a Premier League side.

"I don't like losing. But we scored two goals against a team that reached the European Champions League final last season. At the minute it's working for us."

Woodgate will make changes against Fulham with Aynsley Pears and Hayden Coulson set to come back into the starting XI.

The head coach also said George Friend could be on course to take part in full training on Monday, January 27.

He said: "George and Shotts are making good progress on the grass and maybe on the 27th the pair will be back in full training and then they'll need to play a 60 minute game and a 90 minute game to be available for the first team because they've been out for a while."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-boss-woodgate-shake-things-17582554

WhiteJC

Can Boro Stop Fulham?

Boro make it three games in six days tonight when trying to take down Fulham at Craven Cottage. No easy task then and especially against the team currently fourth in the division and always a powerhouse in their Thameside home. Yet could it be a good time to play Scott Parker's team now facing up to life for a while without their injured top goalscorer Mitrovic? Can we sneak in and do a job while they are readjusting? Boro are at Fulham tonight 7.45pm kick off.

I spoke with Boro gaffer Jonathan Woodgate last night at the Boro hotel, near Brentford's ground. There were players walking around and chatting amiably. The whole atmosphere was relaxed and positive.

There were only a couple of journalists at the London press conference and Woodgate was keen to emphasise how big an ask it was for his players to perform a third time in a week. And also against a team with such a strong home record. It has the makings of another West Brom or Preston type scenario and we all know how well they went for us. No pressure but fingers crossed we can pull something out again.

Here is the short interview in full:

Fly: We play Fulham, a second game in London in a few days – so you have decided the best way to prepare is by staying down here?

JW: It was important to stay down, after Spurs we would have been getting home 3am/4am. So it wouldn't have been the best preparation, so we stayed down here and got a good night's sleep. Trained a couple of times, the players that played (at Spurs) got a warm down, the players who didn't play got a session. So we got some training on grass and some recuperation and are now looking forward to the game.

Fly: Can we expect you to swap some players again?

JW: Yes I will maybe make a few changes. I will have to look at that. All the players seem OK today but tomorrow is a different day.

Fly: There was massive support at Spurs on Tuesday night and there is probably going to be again on Friday...

JW: Yes, unbelievable. It is expensive coming down, not on just one trip but two trips. It is so expensive for the fans but they love doing it and they support their club no matter what and they find a way, find a way to come down and support their team and it is absolutely fantastic. We are lucky to have supporters like that.

Fly: And Fulham, Premier League until very recently with a lot of players with top flight experience. I remember earlier in the season they were your favourites to go straight back up. So a tough game.

JW: Yes, they are only 6 points off now, they have closed the gap on Leeds and West Brom. I know they are going to miss Mitrovic but they have got players that can come in and fill that void and like you say they are a really good team.

Fly: Craven Cottage has always been a difficult place to go hasn't it, their home form has always been their strength.

JW: Well again it is this year, they have got 26 points. The top one is Preston on 29pts. But it is stacked against us with 3 games in 6 days, not a huge squad and a lot of young players. This will be their second or third game. We might have to look at formation. Maybe go back to a four in the game.

Fly: Craven Cottage is a different world to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the fans are on top of the action, maybe that is one of the reasons that they are always strong at home.

JW: Yes, the atmosphere is always good. One stand down at the minute. But it is not going to be louder than at Spurs, is it? With their stadium, it was an unbelievable atmosphere.

Fly: Was that a great experience for everyone? I know we lost the game...

JW: Yes, a great experience of not giving Premier League players chances because you get punished. They will definitely learn from it and they will learn from the atmosphere. I thought they took it in their stride in the second half.

Fly: And that is a positive, the way we finished?

JW: Yes, we did, well thanks to the fans. That is probably why the fans were singing at the end of the game because they realised we had a go and we didn't just sit back and we tried and we pressed high. When you are giving it a go the fans will accept that.

Fly: It has been some turn around in the season, winning and performing well in really big games. We need to do that again of course at Fulham.

JW: Yes. Of course we need to really turn up but against this Fulham side, who are a really, really very good side in this league, six points off second place. It is going to be difficult. Let's see if my players will give it another go. Third game in six days...

So, can we beat Fulham? We can probably expect a few changes with Pears, Coulson, Saville and Tav all coming back in. I would have thought and quite possibly Roberts in for Nmecha. That still means a core of players starting all three games this week. With the game against Birmingham City next Tuesday. It is a good job we have 11 days off afterwards.

But for this evening, looking forward to the clash under the Craven Cottage floodlights. Can we make it another memorable away result?

Come On Boro and Up The Boro

https://www.fansonline.net/middlesbrough/article.php?id=5602

WhiteJC

Win Kongolo's Shirt

To celebrate the arrival of Terence Kongolo, we're giving away a 2019/20 home shirt signed by our new defender!

For the chance to win Terence's shirt, simply fill in the form below before 11.59pm on Sunday 19th January.

Good luck!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/january/17/win-kongolos-shirt

WhiteJC

Do do do, let's all do the Kongolo

There's a new guy in town. Tall, versatile and still young. Fulham have secured the services of Terence Kongolo until the end of the season. Ben Jarman gives us the lowdown on our new defender.

You may see some negative press from Terriers fans about his antics this season, but, this could genuinely be exciting for us. Many of you may remember the Dutch overcoming the odds at the 2014 World Cup to a third place finish in Brazil. Well, in that squad was a little known 20 year-old who went by the name of Terence Kongolo. A relative unknown, but trusted enough by Louis Van Gaal to be one of a new legion of centre-halves at that tournament. Out with the old of Mathijsen and Heitinga and in with De Vrij, Vlaar, Kongolo and Martins Indi.

Now, let's not get carried away here. Kongolo did only make a fleeting appearance against Chilé, but his form for Feyenoord was hugely impressive for someone of his young age. Feyenoord enjoyed a period of immense success during the early 90s winning three titles, but that honour eluded them until 2016, when, with Kongolo at the heart of their defence, they secured the title for the first time in more than 20 years.

They went on to secure another a KNVB Cup and two supporters shield victories with Terence in their ranks, and it wasn't long before a move was on the cards. But before we get to that, let's talk a little bit about what Kongolo brings to the table. Under Van Bronkhorst, Feyenoord played slick, fast-flowing football that played through the thirds and relied on incisive passing. But, unlike the Ajax team you see today, or the Dutch national team, Feyenoord were tighter at the back and registered 17 clean sheets with Kongolo playing centre-half. The influence of the former full-back Van Bronkhorst was there for all to see. And this is where Kongolo stood out, replacing mercurial Joris Mathijsen at the back and becoming and imposing leader.

His presence was felt across the back line as Feyenoord marched towards a historic title. But whilst many plaudits landed at the feet of star striker Nikolai Jorgensen, Kongolo had massively impressed. A storming centre-half whose height allows him to win aerial battles over opposition strikers with crisp passing that allows counters to start from source. Kongolo was part of a new wave of Dutch centre-halves, no longer were they slow and intelligent; he is raw, quick and no-nonsense.

Finally, a move away from the famous De Kuip followed, as Kongolo went to the riches of AS Monaco and their iconic Stade Louis II stadium. In what felt like an excellent move at the time, and given Monaco's track record for cultivating young players in to world class talent for huge profit (see also: Thomas Lemar, Kylian Mbappé & Ben Mendy), it was hoped that Kongolo would skyrocket in much the same way. However, he never really settled in the French principality and saw his development stunted by the excellence of Kamil Glik, Jemerson and the veteran Andrea Raggi. Kongolo's ball playing style did not seem to sit with the identity of Leandro Jardim's outfit and as such, was moved on. Perhaps the wonderkid tag bestowed to him may weighed too heavily on his head.

The bright lights and chilling winds of the John Smith's stadium beckoned, and following a very impressive six-month loan an £18m move followed. That loan spell announced the arrival of Kongolo on to the Premier League stage, and he demonstrated the tools that excited scouts across Europe once again. The dogged determination, the physicality in the air and, as you will see in SW6, the ability to also play at left-back. Although looking rangy, being 6″2, Terence possesses a great turn of foot and plays a head-up style of football that Fulham fans crave. Of late, the Terriers and Kongolo have struggled. Their Premier League campaign was over, realistically, by the middle of March and talisman David Wagner was replaced by ex-Borussia Dortmund reserve coach Jan Seibert. Kongolo's form dipped with the departure of his former manager and his start to Championship life has been a difficult one, with Huddersfield having a slow start and further managerial change.

However, a new lease of life in the capital will be a fresh start for a player that, genuinely is an exciting prospect. At 25, Kongolo has room for growth and has demonstrated the qualities needed to become an excellent centre-half. If Fulham are to revert at a formation that includes 3 centre-halves as we've seen over the course of the season, then this transfer makes sense. Working on the left hand side of Ream, his pace can cover any mistakes and his passing could spur the midfield in to action moving the ball quickly. This also frees up Joe Bryan to have an advanced attacking influence on the game.

Six months with Fulham gives him and the club a massive opportunity, lets hope he takes it.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2020-01-17-do-do-do-lets-all-do-the-kongolo/

WhiteJC

Leeds United join Fulham in the race to sign Rangers star Connor Goldson

Leeds United have joined Fulham in the race to sign Rangers star Connor Goldson according to Football Insider.

The defender is attracting interest from a host of Championship clubs due to his impressive form under Rangers boss Steven Gerrard.

Leeds are looking at defensive reinforcements and could make a move for Goldson either in January or the summer with Ben White's future uncertain as he is due to return to parent club Brighton & Hove Albion at the end of the season.

The Yorkshire giants could look to sign White but they will face competition from several Premier League clubs with Liverpool and Manchester United also said to be interested in the centre-back.

Gaetano Berardi is out of contract at the end of June and there still appears to be no definitive decision as to if he will remain at the club. With the futures of Berardi and White unclear, this would leave club captain Liam Cooper as their most recognised senior centre-back which is something manager Marco Bielsa will wish to avoid.

Rangers manager Gerrard is a huge fan of Goldson and is looking to keep him at the club but is prepared for offers from other sides for the towering centre-back.

He has started almost every match since the Gerrard took charge at Ibrox and was one of his first signings. Goldson has made 34 league appearances this season and 54 in total.

Rangers paid £3million to Brighton & Hove Albion to sign him in June 2018 where Goldson struggled to break into their side once they had won promotion to the Premier League.

https://the72.co.uk/154965/leeds-united-join-fulham-in-the-race-to-sign-rangers-star-connor-goldson/

WhiteJC

REPORT: Southampton Target Fulham Left-Back Joe Bryan

An extremely popular club amongst the English tabloids, Southampton have so far been linked to a number of players this transfer window. However, despite all of the rumours and reports, the Saints have yet to make a move. That said, a new rumour from the Football Insider does carry with it some weight. According to a report from Pete O'Rourke, Southampton have now set their sights on signing Fulham left-back Joe Bryan.
Report: Southampton Target Fulham Left Back Joe Bryan
Ralph Hasenhuttl Keen on Improving Strength at Full-back

Currently sporting just three senior side fullbacks, Southampton have struggled all season with depth at the position. This struggle has been especially prevalent in the left-back position. Outside of Ryan Bertrand, Southampton's only other true left-back is current youth academy star Jake Vokins. In fact, this season Southampton has already been forced to play both Kevin Danso and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg at the position.

While Vokins did perform spectacularly in Southampton's most recent FA Cup win, there are doubts about his first-team readiness. Because of this, it is no wonder why Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has targeted the fullback position in this transfer window. In fact, in recent days the rumour mill has only seemingly become more active.

Linked to Tottenham Hotspur prospect Kyle Walker-Peters, all signs are pointing towards the Saints improving at the fullback position. In recent days, all eyes on the South Coast have now turned towards the London-based Joe Bryan. The 26-year-old left-back currently plays for Fulham and has since become a wanted man this month.
Interest Extremely High in Joe Bryan

Outside of the rumoured interest from Southampton, the Englishman has also attracted interest from both Watford and Serie A side Atalanta. The 26-year-old has become an extremely popular figure in recent weeks thanks to his ability as well as his strong injury history.

Joining Fulham from Bristol City last season, Joe Bryan made 28 English Premier League appearances for the Cottagers. Missing just five matches through injury, Joe Bryan also made 27 starts for the London-based club last season. Now six months into his second season with the side, Bryan has made an additional 26 appearances in the EFL Championship.

Showing incredible consistency, Bryan has also shown the ability to play multiple different positions. In fact, over the course of his career, Joe Bryan has made 109 appearances as a midfield player. An amazing number considering the Englishman has only made 152 appearances at his primary left-back position.

Combining all of this together along with Leicester City's interest in Ryan Bertrand and the £7-million Englishman is a player Southampton must land.

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2020/01/17/report-southampton-target-fulham-joe-bryan/