watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Ice Hockey

Started by SP, January 18, 2020, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Went to the Streatham Silver Blades many times. I still have the scar from being hit above the  eye brow. I then went to Richmond Ice Rink where I had lessons from the great coach Arnold Gerschwiler. He coached many champions but not me as he said all I wanted to do was speed skate.
Where there's a will there's a wife

MisfitKid

Been a huge fan since I was a kid.  Don't miss a game of my local team (San Jose Sharks).  "SIQ", when was the last time you saw a game, the "Goons" have been removed from the game, not that they don't fight, but the first priority for a player is that they can play.  And I love it when "tourists" complain that it is cold in a "ice" rink...  :dft011:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Russianrob

Very big in Russia.Wish Rugby union would catch on.

SP

Quote from: MisfitKid on January 20, 2020, 04:40:32 PM
And I love it when "tourists" complain that it is cold in a "ice" rink...  :dft011:

I had my full array of layers on so nice & warm.  Probably wouldn't buy the coffee again though!

Tabby

I can't say that I've ever felt cold when going to ice hockey, but that might be because it is usually colder outside whenever I've been.

HV71

I have never been cold at a game - though the clue to what to wear is probably in the name!

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Those of us Golden Oldies will tell you that in the post War 1940s you had Earls Court Rangers, Wembley Lions Wembley Monarch Harringay Racers Harringay Greyhounds and Sfreatham all playing quality ice hockey in the London area. They were mostly imported Canadian players but it is a fact that GB won the God Medal at the 1936  Olympics even if that was with 90% Canadian dual nationality players.
As a young boy I went with my parents every week to Earls Court and about 1948 Kenny Campbell gave me his stick at the end of the season. He was the star centre ice (striker) and I still have it in my garden shed.

HV71

I genuinely think that the two sports have something in common for the spectators- and that is the unpredictability. I never leave a football match early - because anything can happen ( Clough - it only takes a second to score a goal etc ) - in ice hockey it probably takes only half a second. Matches can turn so quickly . Both are truly great sports - you can watch both and support your teams with passion !!

VancouverWhite

Being able to follow the puck comes with just a little bit of familiarity with the game. 

It's actually better to focus on the players in the general direction of the puck, instead of trying to see the little black piece of rubber.  I love ice hockey! Vancouver Canucks, to be more precise :)

fulhamtom

I went one sunday afternoon about 4 years ago to Guildford and really enjoyed a game. As stated above I really struggled to keep up with the game because the puck moves so quickly. At half time I asked the lady next to me about the rules and she said she'd been going for years but still had no idea! Not a patch on watching the Mighty wmWhites though.