watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Ice Hockey

Started by SP, January 18, 2020, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Visited Streatham ice rink this evening for their clash with Cardiff, what a great night out.  Will definately be back, anyone else tried this?

Woolly Mammoth

I went to a fight the other night, and a Ice Hockey game broke out.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hongkongfulham

Quote from: SP on January 18, 2020, 09:49:17 PM
Visited Streatham ice rink this evening for their clash with Cardiff, what a great night out.  Will definately be back, anyone else tried this?

I went to uni in Vancouver so got to quite a few games and it was always on the TV. Probably best sport to watch live ive ever been to, up there with football! Less fights these days im told but its super high paced and the atmosphere is great, atleast up in Canada。 Would highly recommend anyone to go should they get the chance

HV71

Watched the game a lot in Chicago and Sweden - whilst obviously the standard isn't the same watching the Guildford Flames is still incredibly exciting and a great evening out. It's fast and furious and the game can change in an instant - would urge any football fan to give it a go!

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 19, 2020, 01:48:28 AM

Yes - one of the few non combat sports where fighting is tolerated, encouraged and expected. Each ice hockey team in north America has an 'enforcer'

MikeW

Have a friend who is an ex pro ice hockey player.  Expressed my surprise to him once why TV doesn't lap it up but he says difficulty following the puck is the main problem.  Apparently similarly even for spectators at live games!
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

SP

Funny you say that Mike, there were a few times when I had absolutely no idea where the puck was.  The other attraction seems to be drinking & eating as much junk food as possible.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: MikeW on January 19, 2020, 10:56:18 AM
Have a friend who is an ex pro ice hockey player.  Expressed my surprise to him once why TV doesn't lap it up but he says difficulty following the puck is the main problem.  Apparently similarly even for spectators at live games!

Yes I went to one game in Los Angeles just for the experience. And yes I could not see the puck half the time - had to watch the tv monitors during the live game.

Also other drawback - it was bloody cold in the arena.

FFC1987

Massive fan, even went to train with one of the more casual Streatham team on a friday. Always a good atmosphere, grab beers  tesco on third period and close to nice pubs, would recommend. Love Ice Hockey!

Hatch007

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 19, 2020, 01:48:28 AM
Clever 🤣🤣🤣

Hatch007

I got to watch the Canadiens (historic powerhouse of NHL but on the wain in recent years) at Bell Centre in Montreal in the year of the strike. That season the first matches weren't until January 2013 and I saw the first match of the season.

Amazing atmosphere but, yep, major difficulty following the puck live on the ice

Barrett487

I also saw the Monteal Canadiens play, their opponents were the Chicago Blackhawks, at Wembley arena in 1992. It was a great evening's entertainment.

Steven Ageroad

As a young lad in the early 50's, my parents used take me on a Friday night to an ice hockey game at the local ice rink called Empress Hall which was situated next to Earls Court, a great big office block now stands on the site. When the players broke their sticks during the game, us young lads used to rush down to where the players were to ask for the broken ones.
Oh the memories came flooding back when the word Ice Hockey was mentioned and remember there was no television sets and Friday night was the big night out.

Grumpy Worthing White

Every time I hear or see a comment of Ice Hockey reminds me of Slapshot starring Paul Newman, one hell of a funny movie  :012:

RaySmith

Remember Streatham Ice rink well, the Silver glades as it was called, as young teenagers it would be place to hang out, though I never learned to skate.

Then there ws the Locarno dance hall, which became the Cat's Whiskers - anyone else remember that? One of those places where you had to wear a tie to get in.

Have never   been to an ice hockey game, though have seen it on TV - looks quite exciting.

It used to be featured in  stories in the comics i read, like Rover and Adventure, and me and my brother would 'play' ice hockey in the bedroom, with old  broomsticks and an empty fag packet..

Southcoastffc

Guildford Flames at The Spectrum is an occasional enjoyable, cheap, entertaining evening out. They played Belfast a few weeks ago in a game that was full of incident (sin bin featured heavily, keeper substituted for outfield player etc). The hardcore regular fans are a bit nerdy though......"Let's go Guildford, let's go" ad nauseam!
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

toshes mate

In my very early years there was a thriving British League I was taken to games at the long gone Empress Hall (off Lillie Road), at Streatham, at Haringey, and at Wembley Arena.  I recall it being a lot of fun.  Have been to Guildford to watch games there in the last couple of decades or so and always watch the ice hockey at the Winter Olympics.  It does need sharp eyes to follow some of the time, but it is good entertainment at its best and can be addictive.

Logicalman

When we lived in Fort Wayne, we used to go see the Komets most games as our next-door neighbour had season tickets we could use.
I found it really good, except for the stupid commercial breaks they had during game-play, when all the play would just stop for 2 minutes and the advert was on the jumbotron. That spoiled it for me in the end and we stopped going, but do enjoy a good NHL/playoff match on the TV every now and again.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

HV71

Couldn't help but smile at this southcoastffc -

The hardcore regular fans are a bit nerdy though......"Let's go Guildford, let's go" ad nauseam!

I totally get what you mean - but is it a million miles away from 'C'mon Fulham , C'mon Fulham '?- as a member of both fan bases I think we all tend to be a tad nerdy - goes with the territory

Maidstone Lee

Was on holiday in Vegas a couple of years ago and saw Vegas Golden Knights vs LA Kings. It's a great sport and the atmosphere was amazing.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19