News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What’s the best debut for Fulham you’ve seen?

Started by Hatch007, January 19, 2020, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatch007

OneMartinThomas nominated Paul Brooker as his choice in the Pat Roberts thread which got me thinking the subject perhaps merit its own thread.

Corey Browne's debut always stood out for me. Think Ray Lew was manager at the time. Then he sustained an awful, professional career-ending injury in his next match and only ever played twice for Fulham. He did, however, recover sufficiently to play non-league for a while after the injury but could have been Fulham fan favourite if his debut was anything to go by.

https://www.fulhamweb.co.uk/player/166/corey-browne.aspx

Anyway, I'm sure they'll be many varying opinions that I look forward to reading. I only go back to 1981 when I started watching Fulham so if anyone saw the Maestro's debut, for example, I'd love to know if his first appearance gave an indication of the genius that was to follow.

Andy S

For me there are two that stand out 1 was Teddy Maybank and the other was Ray Houghton

Dodgin

Rodney Marsh back in 63 and he scored the winner.

bigalffc

Quote from: Dodgin on January 19, 2020, 12:29:57 PM
Loved him. Saw him play for the reserves, our goalie got clattered by their centre forward and carried off. Marshy took the goalies Jersey (no subs back then) and with his first kick out from goal laid out their CF with a smack in the face.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Dodgin

Remember that game bigalffc, feel we lost a guess is 4 2

The Rational Fan

No contest, Ray Houghton was the best debut at the cottage i've seen. Just before kickoff, I overheard several comments in the Riverside about why are we getting West Ham rejects and what was Malcolm McDonald thinking. From the first moment, he touched the ball, all through half time to the end of the game all I overheard was what on earth was West Ham thinking to let this guy go on a [pre-bosman ruling] free transfer.

filham

If Haynes can be included then once again it is no contest, it was clear right from the beginning that he was a class above anything we have ever seen.
Howenver exclude Haynes and then we have an interesting competition.

Think I may go for Leggat.

RaySmith

I remember Marsh and MacDonald as outstanding talents in their early games for the club, though soon left the club, sadly, and also, Collins John comes to mind as someone who was seen as a great young talent, who scored some brilliant  goals

Milo

Did the Pog score that hat trick on his debut? Or was it a few games in?

Edit: was his third game.

Barrett487

Louis Saha's debut against Crewe was spectacular and could have got a hat-trick. He scored in his first two games (Crewe & BCFC).

Woolly Mammoth

I can remember in the 70s George Best making his debut for Fulham, we we're home to Wolves, we won 1 0, and George Best scored within a minute of kicking off, there was over 25,000 at the Cottage. Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh played in that game.
On the following Tuesday I went to Peterborough to watch Fulham play them in a League Cup replay and we won 2 0, and Best scored an absolute peach of a goal, that only he would have the confidence to execute it, that goal has stuck in my mind as though it happened yesterday.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

EricB

Corey Browne takes some beating. I thought we has discovered a world beater from nowhere.  Unfortunately got badly injured the very next game and hardly played again.

bog

Quote from: Dodgin on January 19, 2020, 12:29:57 PM

+1. Rodney won the ball in near the centre circle took about 4 steps and blasted a shot into the top right hand corner in a 1-0 over Villa. He was then promptly dropped.  :doh: Broke my young innocent heart when he was sold to Rangers.  :dft004:

092.gif   

fulhamben

Luis Saha and John Collins both had fantastic debuts, in the same game
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bog

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 19, 2020, 01:17:57 PM
I can remember in the 70s George Best making his debut for Fulham, we we're home to Wolves, we won 1 0, and George Best scored within a minute of kicking off, there was over 25,000 at the Cottage. Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh played in that game.
On the following Tuesday I went to Peterborough to watch Fulham play them in a League Cup replay and we won 2 0, and Best scored an absolute peach of a goal, that only he would have the confidence to execute it, that goal has stuck in my mind as though it happened yesterday.

Woolly, I think his debut was v Bristol Rovers. I heard that goal v Peterborough saw the home crowd join in with the celebrations such was the quality. 

ffcne

George Georgiou think against Orient early 90's.
Looked the part.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on January 19, 2020, 01:28:25 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 19, 2020, 01:17:57 PM

Woolly, I think his debut was v Bristol Rovers. I heard that goal v Peterborough saw the home crowd join in with the celebrations such was the quality. 

Yes you are right Bog I have just looked it up, i don't know what made me think it was Wolves, I am losing the plot, I cannot even remember what I had for breakfast, but thanks for letting me know and straightening it out.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fulham Joe

I remember thinking that this guy is in a different league to anyone we have at the moment, when Chris Coleman made his debut.

ffcne

Quote from: Fulham Joe on January 19, 2020, 01:43:57 PM
I remember thinking that this guy is in a different league to anyone we have at the moment, when Chris Coleman made his debut.
I seem to remember his debut was a little shaky .
Was an evening game not sure of opposition.

ffc73

Andrew (?) Cole a forward we got from Ipswich.  I think his debut was at Aldershot and he looked far far too good for us.  Soon afterwards dropped to our level and couldn't hit the barn door from point blank range.

Kenny Achampong.  Mentioned by many on previous threads as having the "wow" factor on his debut.  Never carried it through unfortunately.