News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Vote:Which midfielder or attacking wide position should we upgrade?

Started by The Rational Fan, January 20, 2020, 01:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which midfielder or attacking wide midfielder position should we upgrade first?

Defensive Midfielder #6
17 (18.7%)
Central Midfielder #8
7 (7.7%)
Attacking Midfielder #10
14 (15.4%)
Right Winger #7
9 (9.9%)
Left Winger #11
0 (0%)
None - No upgrades in these positions
44 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: January 25, 2020, 01:36:39 AM

ByTheRiver

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 21, 2020, 12:00:47 AM
Should we put in a bid like Leeds for Jarrod Bowen? Leeds have promise a huge transfer fee if promoted and otherwise a loan fee of three million, we could match it, then if next week we win and Leeds lose, we are probably giving the better offer for Hull going into deadline day.

I honest think Jarrod Bowen is a huge upgrade in Knockaert (who is not a premier league starter in my opinion), plus he can cover Mitro giving him more time to recover, plus it will allow Reid and Knockaert to play in midfield if required such as if we are behind.

If a deal like this is possible, then yes, of course go for it. Thinking ahead to next year, we would need additional backup for Mitro and wide. The Premiership requires pace even more than the Championship too so would be good.

However... I agree with a lot of the above. I would be cautious of not changing things too much. The team has needed time to bed in. Midfield is just starting to settle and each player performing - we've had a lot of new additions there already. both wide and central. If the stats haven't been as good as they can be ("why has Parker..." etc), then I'd say a lot of that is bedding it and would expect the second half of the season to produce better productivity from the midfield.

Especially with the added confidence throughout the squad, knowing the defence is now a lot safer following the arrival of Virgil Van Mike.

Jims Dentist

From what I've seen of him, Bowen is not the sort of forward you would get to cover Mitro.
That's not taking anything away from his undoubted qualities.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 20, 2020, 04:07:46 AM

You are a hard Task Master TRF.

Well, I watch games and see a midfield that slowly and carefully moves the ball from defensive to attack, but little else. The central midfield seem to immune from blame too often, and the attack too because 11 goals in 10 goals is poor attacking.

If you get 2 goals every three games, no matter how many clean sheets you get you cannot get more than 2 points per game and we need minimum 2.1 points per game for automatic promotion, plus we cannot always get clean sheets.

Woolly Mammoth

I chose an Attacking midfielder who can also score enough goals to justify his inclusion, as apart from Cav, there is no other player in the Ranks that can score enough goals to support Mitros contribution.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 23, 2020, 02:42:32 AM
I chose an Attacking midfielder who can also score enough goals to justify his inclusion, as apart from Cav, there is no other player in the Ranks that can score enough goals to support Mitros contribution.

Computer says Bradley Dack (Birm), Eberechi Eze (QPR) or Jed Wallace (Millwall).

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 02:55:04 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 23, 2020, 02:42:32 AM

Computer says Bradley Dack (Birm), Eberechi Eze (QPR) or Jed Wallace (Millwall).

I would take any one of them, but if I had a choice it would be Jed Wallace for me. 

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 23, 2020, 03:01:25 AM

I would take any one of them, but if I had a choice it would be Jed Wallace for me.

Jed Wallace has the right statistics (one tick). Hopefully, our scouts rate him too (two ticks).

ByTheRiver

Following last night and the realisation that my previous thoughts were probably based more on hope/potential rather than reality, I would like to change it to: if it's doable, a goal scoring attacking midfielder (Cairney is better deeper anyway) and a LW. Both Cav/Knockaert are RW really.

Maybe a RW too if we are going to resort to Joe Bryan playing on the right in the faint hope our LB will cut in and shoot with his left foot. Christ. That's when it was clear we would not be closing the gap last night...

The Rational Fan

I am wondering beyond a backup striker and defenders, what should we bring in on deadline day? I would bring in another creative attacking midfield to rotate with Cairney.

The Rational Fan

It seems Kebano doesn't have a contract extension, so he is probably leaving in the summer and we will bring in a replacement too. With all the injuries now makes sense to bring next years backup winger in 6 months early.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 29, 2020, 06:53:44 AM
It seems Kebano doesn't have a contract extension, so he is probably leaving in the summer and we will bring in a replacement too. With all the injuries now makes sense to bring next years backup winger in 6 months early.
Yes, I wondered about Kabano. I don't think he has even made the bench recently despite our injuries.
Unless he is injured himself (again), perhaps a move before the deadline in on.

AnOldBrownie

At the next level the team will need a better #6 than any player currently on the squad.    We'll need someone better than Chambers from last season, and Chambers wasn't even that good.

It's going to need to be an expensive, EPL starter.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 29, 2020, 11:51:42 PM
At the next level the team will need a better #6 than any player currently on the squad.    We'll need someone better than Chambers from last season, and Chambers wasn't even that good.

I would guess, if we get promoted we would be buying all this seasons squad and recalling/swapping Fabri, Anguissa, and Seri. If we also bring in on-loan or permanent first-team #2, #3, and #6 with another backup #7 we would be looking good to stay up. It's a great season to go up as we should be able to finish four last next season above WBA, Leeds or Brentford and the typically one premier league team that bombs.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 30, 2020, 02:19:10 AM

I would guess, if we get promoted we would be buying all this seasons squad and recalling/swapping Fabri, Anguissa, and Seri. If we also bring in on-loan or permanent first-team #2, #3, and #6 with another backup #7 we would be looking good to stay up. It's a great season to go up as we should be able to finish four last next season above WBA, Leeds or Brentford and the typically one premier league team that bombs.

If your chums the 3 Amigos, Fabri, Seri and Anguissa were recalled we would most certainly come back down again with a massive crash of epic proportions. But you would still be singing their praises.

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 30, 2020, 07:43:01 AM

If your chums the 3 Amigos, Fabri, Seri and Anguissa were recalled we would most certainly come back down again with a massive crash of epic proportions. But you would still be singing their praises.

As for Fabri last season, there were 228 "shots on target" aimed at our goal. If FFC had saved 76% of them as Fabri did, we would have only conceded 54 goals (instead of 81 goals), our goal difference would have been only 20 goals and we probably wouldn't have been relegated.

Of course, if you're old-fashion and prefer goalkeeper that can actually catch a high-ball, then Fabri is poor with 1 per game, Rico is worse with 1 every 5 games and Betts punches all high balls with one all last season. As for combined high catches and punches, all three goalkeepers achieved one per game, but Fabri never punched any.

As for Seri, the reason we need Seri is because Tom Cairney isn't a 90 minute player, in the premier league Slavisa played him 2x for 90mins, Raneri played him 6x  for 90 minutes and Parker played him 1x for 90 minutes before we were relegated.

And Anguissa is a class player that took his time to adjust to the hardest league in the world. McDonald was supposed to be our defensive midfielder until Anguissa adjusted.

Whitestone

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 30, 2020, 08:18:33 AM

Last season, there were 228 "shots on target" aimed at our goal. If FFC had saved 76% of them as Fabri did, we would have only conceded 54 goals (instead of 81 goals), our goal difference would have been only 20 goals and we probably wouldn't have been relegated.

Of course, if your old-fashion and prefer goalkeeper that can actually catch a high-ball, then Fabri is poor with 1 per game, Rico is worse with 1 every 5 games and Betts punches all high balls with one all last season.

Anguissa is quality which he demonstrated at the back end of last season with man of the match performances. Unfortunately he missed a huge chunk of the season through injury. A player we really could have done with this season and a significant upgrade on those we currently have in his position. As for Fabri he was discarded after two games, so hard to judge really. Seri was the only real disappointment in this group of players.

ByTheRiver

As much as I (and I'm probably in the minority on this board) think all three are good players, I think bringing them back in would be suicide. Imagine the effect on morale? Get relegated, they head off as they don't want to 'slum' it, squad battle hard over a long season to get back to the 'promised land', they waltz back in... Can't happen IMO. But could probably sell and replace.

And I agree with Old Brownie in that we will need an absolutely top notch CDM upon promotion too. So vital to the way we play to cover the defence. K-Mac does a superb job in this league (I think his return is equally as important as Hector coming in) but the speed of the game in the premiership means sadly he will just get passed by. A Pacey, strong, more athletic K-Mac, essentially. Which, I appreciate, is a big ask (as every other club will also want a similar player).

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 30, 2020, 09:55:19 AM

As much as I (and I'm probably in the minority on this board) think all three are good players, I think bringing them back in would be suicide. Imagine the effect on morale? Get relegated, they head off as they don't want to 'slum' it, squad battle hard over a long season to get back to the 'promised land', they waltz back in... Can't happen IMO. But could probably sell and replace.

And I agree with Old Brownie in that we will need an absolutely top notch CDM upon promotion too. So vital to the way we play to cover the defence. K-Mac does a superb job in this league (I think his return is equally as important as Hector coming in) but the speed of the game in the premiership means sadly he will just get passed by. A Pacey, strong, more athletic K-Mac, essentially. Which, I appreciate, is a big ask (as every other club will also want a similar player).

I was also impressed with KMacs performance in the games so far, but he has been well rested between games and all the league teams we have played are against lower half of the table and counter-attacking. His longer-range passing skills pinned the opposition's five most defensive players back as they need to mark our attackers rather than allow them sneak in between the lines. I think he will be an important player for teams weaker than us, but I have my doubt playing against similar teams and don't think he is a three matchday week player (although past statistics indicate he has got some match stamina). I think he shows we need a proper CDM in the first XI, while Reed/Arter are not CDMs but only central midfielders with strong defensive skills.

Woolly Mammoth

As for Fabri last season, there were 228 "shots on target" aimed at our goal. If FFC had saved 76% of them as Fabri did, we would have only conceded 54 goals (instead of 81 goals), our goal difference would have been only 20 goals and we probably wouldn't have been relegated.

Of course, if you're old-fashion and prefer goalkeeper that can actually catch a high-ball, then Fabri is poor with 1 per game, Rico is worse with 1 every 5 games and Betts punches all high balls with one all last season. As for combined high catches and punches, all three goalkeepers achieved one per game, but Fabri never punched any.

As for Seri, the reason we need Seri is because Tom Cairney isn't a 90 minute player, in the premier league Slavisa played him 2x for 90mins, Raneri played him 6x  for 90 minutes and Parker played him 1x for 90 minutes before we were relegated.

And Anguissa is a class player that took his time to adjust to the hardest league in the world. McDonald was supposed to be our defensive midfielder until Anguissa adjusted.
Fabri's  alround game is just not good enough for this level and his failure to communicate due to his poor English is a no go, so you must stop Fabricating Fabri's ability at this level.
Seri and Anguissa are bad for morale and team spirit, they jumped ship as soon as they could, were not up for a fight. Their stats might look good on a computer, but that is so misleading.
To make my point, I once played a computer at chess and it beat me, but I thrashed it at kick boxing.
A lot of the problems previously have come due to poor recruitment, players who are just a bad fit and have come just for the money, and should not be anywhere near the dressing room, and have not added to the Fulham heartbeat, and every team needs a strong heart beat, and Seri and Anguissa are two of them as they have shown by their body language and actions, keep them well away from Fulham, sell them and try and get some of our money back to finance better deals. As for Fabri do him a favour and cut our ties because he isn't going to get any taller, and if he hasn't learnt how to catch a ball at its highest point by now, he never will. 

Never forget your Roots.

simplyfulham

The save percentage thing is such a weird hill to die on. Even you must admit that it's not a relevant statistic as the sample size is so small.

He's only managed a couple of games for Mallorca this season, who are also hovering just about the relegation zone.