watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Josh Onomah

Started by millsy, January 21, 2020, 10:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millsy

Just watched the 90 mins and kept an eye on Josh's performance, to try to see what others are seeing.

Still don't get it I'm afraid. He has nice touch but I have 2 real question marks over him. First, if you watch him, he seems to have no awareness of what's happening around him and, therefore, never picks up his, or any man. He always arrives late to the ball, as he only reacts once the ball has reached an opponent and mostly, the ball has moved on by the time he is in a position to challenge. In this aspect, compare with both Harry's, Bobby or Stef, who are all good readers of the play and often intercept. Josh sometimes gets lucky and the ball breaks near him.

Second, he seems to like playing short, safe, first time passes, which is ok but when he tries to do something more creative, he takes too long and gets caught in possession, or plays a poor pass.

On the positive side, I like him with the ball at his feet and dribbling forward. This is something he can offer, which our other midfielders don't and I hope, as his fitness and confidence increase, he will do more of.

As things stand, I'd play Harry Arter, or Stef ahead of Josh but I understand that others are being won over gradually in his favour.

The Rational Fan

Onamah is either as bad as people thought a month ago or as good as people think he is now. Onamah is a good squad player and is getting better, but very far from one of the best half-dozen midfielders in the league.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 21, 2020, 10:47:45 PM
Onamah is either as bad as people thought a month ago or as good as people think he is now. Onamah is a good squad player and is getting better, but very far from one of the best half-dozen midfielders in the league.

Well, he is likely neither as bad as some thought he was nor as good as some now think he is. You yourself also contradict your own either/or statement by then placing him somewhere in the middle. Whether he is very far from the best half-dozen midfielders in the league is both subjective, but more importantly not very interesting. His ceiling is much more interesting than his current level, and his development so far with us bodes fairly well for the future. In my opinion.

Right now he is in my mind a borderline starter for us. Just like Parker I cannot really work out our best midfield so far this season. Both me and Parker can partly blame injures for that, and we can both blame Parker as well for seemingly having no idea himself. The only thing that seems fairly sure is that Johansen despite many good games is unfortunately benched almost whenever Parker has other options.

fulhamben

He's certainly improved compared to his first four or five outings there is no doubt of that. But I want him to try and surge forwards more when on the ball as he has the strength and ability to do so, but as to his finishing, it's shocking isn't it. Take away the Leeds goal and he Fluff's his shots on goal time and time again. Always amazes me how some professional players really struggle to put their foot through the ball cleanly at the pivotal time.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ALG01

josh has massively improved but for me he is currently 'potential.' I do not think he merits an automatic start and does not make enough use of his physical prescence. I think the issue is what is his best position and in all three midfield spots we have better alternatives. But has certainly come on leaps and bounds.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: ALG01 on January 21, 2020, 11:16:13 PM
josh has massively improved but for me he is currently 'potential.' I do not think he merits an automatic start and does not make enough use of his physical prescence. I think the issue is what is his best position and in all three midfield spots we have better alternatives. But has certainly come on leaps and bounds.

Disagree.   I think his physical presence is exactly why he get's playing time, along with his desire to drive the ball forward (receive pass, quick turn...move forward with the ball).   While we play him as a box to box, in his own head I think he's thinking like an attacking mid.   When he's not in the midfield it's more noticeable than when any other midfielder not named Bobby Reid isn't there.   imo.  And this is with a 22 year old.

Whose a better box to box than him on the squad?   No, not Arter.  No, not Stephjo...Tom is a better attacking mid...not Harrison Reed.

And Parker know's his starting midfield when they are healthy.  It includes both Tom Cairney and Josh Onomah...and perhaps Bobby Reid (if he's not playing up top or on the wing).

Scott's faith in him this season (and apparent ability to see in him things that members of this forum don't) will benefit the team next season in the EPL.

Imagine him not missing the two sitters he missed in the game.   If he'd made those people would be singing his praises.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on January 21, 2020, 10:56:44 PM
Right now he is in my mind a borderline starter for us. Just like Parker I cannot really work out our best midfield so far this season. Both me and Parker can partly blame injures for that, and we can both blame Parker as well for seemingly having no idea himself. The only thing that seems fairly sure is that Johansen despite many good games is unfortunately benched almost whenever Parker has other options.

It seems we may end this transfer window within striking distance (ie 1-4 points) from automatic promotion and highly likely to get at least a playoff. Hence, we need to bring in players in any positions we are not sure about as we have done for RCB, LCB and LB. Onamah is a player any sane person is not sure is good enough yet for the playoffs and most of the other midfielders we cannot be sure they will be injury free, so maybe we should bring in some reinforcements.

We have to get promoted before parchaute payments run out on 25th May 2021. Josh Onamah best football for us will probably be 21/22 and beyond when he is mid 20s.

The Rock

He's 22, not good enough for Spurs reserves nor Villa reserves.

I think Parker was told by TK to give him a participation badge because everyone thinks TK is a total joke.

So well done Scotty.

Next.

Carborundum

Couple of things.  To miss those chances he had to do some things very right to get in those positions, finishing can be fixed.  Then there were the standing tackles.  I remember two, one brave and successful the other even better - practically the full Etuhu.  You could hear the ball compress.  Price of admission stuff for me.

He's coming on nicely.

jayffc

Early on I was very vocally concerned about his continuous starting 11 inclusion when it wasnt reay warranted based on his form, but absolutely am chuffed for him and us that he has massively improved. Now, I think as most would admit, hes no world beater yet, but I do feel he generally gets stuck in and battles well physically quite often and he has made some useful contributions recently.

As said above I think there is still an element of potential with him , if Parker can continue to develop him then by all means I'm all eyes and ears. But agree he's not an automatic starter yet. Can understand his inclusion though if he continues to contribute as he has been and we keep winning games. But I also like arter and think he offers plenty as does Harrison, and even to some extent Kev atm. So we really are spoilt for riches in that CM position right now.

Josh being younger has more potential upsell though so makes sense to see if he can continue to get better and better now he's shown some real improvement, and just in time!

Let's hope he continues to prove everyone wrong and becomes the player he was predicted to be at England youth level!

Woolly Mammoth

I can understand why Scott plays Josh, apart from his potential and the fact that Scott knows all about his ability. But he also has much needed physical presence and height which is much needed in a team that not long ago was being bullied by choir boys. Now with Hector and others that Fulham are looking to recruit plus the tenacity of Arter, and the Leadership and muscle of Kevin Mac, we are starting to hold our own in the air and in the tackle. Which is something that has been neglected for far too long.
It appears the club are starting to read my emails.   
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 22, 2020, 02:29:33 AM
Which is something that has been neglected for far too long. It appears the club are starting to read my emails.

Maybe TK is reading your emails, maybe he deserves some credit.

bobby01

Nice to see a reasoned response, I thought he was very poor when he first came into the team, I admit he has improved and also that he is nowhere near the standard that some are putting him on. Still a lot for him to learn but he has progressed. As said before the problem is what is our best midfield, neither the coaches or us seem to know, at this moment in time I think the middle 3 and their positions are our biggest concern.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

colinwhite

Apart from his all -round play which has steadily improved he adds a couple of things which give us a balance we lack without him. Firstly his size and strength make us competetive in second ball situations ,but he also wins back possession in 30 70 challenges and is a presense we have lacked in the more offensive midfield roles. He as energy to get up and down and the abillity to drive the ball forward like few others in the team.
Hes not our best midfielder ,far from it, but he makes us more competetive in my opinion.

SuffolkWhite

He is better than he was and even if does end up as an average Championship player I would have him over Seri any day, he at least gives 100% and after that goal against Leeds has grown in confidence. Remember he's only 22 and still has things to learn. I would argue SteffJo is our best box to box mid but I'll leave picking the team to the Manager.

7 out of 10 so far for Onomah.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

toshes mate

There is certainly a player inside his body trying to get Josh Onomah out but I have mixed feelings about him.  Firstly he seems to be getting more than decent mentoring because Parker and Wells have an emphatic interest in him doing well but are they the best guys to take this on?  My reasoning is that midfield is still an issue in this team and more than a small part of that is organisation and formation which are the head coaches issues.  Is he being mentored for a role that wouldn't work no matter how good the lad is or can be?  Is that evidence of muddled thinking by our coaches?

My other issue has been there since day one and concerns his basic body shape when attacking the ball/opposition which seems much too clumsy, awkward, or not very athletic.  He is wasting an awful lot of energy achieving very little IMHO.

Jim©

Quote from: toshes mate on January 22, 2020, 08:39:28 AM
Firstly he seems to be getting more than decent mentoring because Parker and Wells have an emphatic interest in him doing well but are they the best guys to take this on?  My reasoning is that midfield is still an issue in this team and more than a small part of that is organisation and formation which are the head coaches issues.  Is he being mentored for a role that wouldn't work no matter how good the lad is or can be?  Is that evidence of muddled thinking by our coaches?

I'm never a massive fan of these posts that claim nepotism/underhand reasons for playing someone. Parker (and by default Wells') jobs depend upon the results that the team get, not how single players perform. Since Josh has come into the side we've won 8 (3 subs appearances of 20,24 and 30 mins), drawn 2 and lost 3 (one sub appearance of 68 mins). In the ones we'd lost at Preston and Brentford, he was pretty clearly our best player, admittedly with a low bar. It's from those two games that I've seen him kick on and become pretty integral to this team so confidence likely key for the lad.

Would agree that he isn't that athletic, still has the look of a growing kid about him.

I Ronic

Quote from: Carborundum on January 21, 2020, 11:35:38 PM
Couple of things.  To miss those chances he had to do some things very right to get in those positions, finishing can be fixed.  Then there were the standing tackles.  I remember two, one brave and successful the other even better - practically the full Etuhu.  You could hear the ball compress.  Price of admission stuff for me.

He's coming on nicely.

0001.jpeg

toshes mate

Quote from: Jim© on January 22, 2020, 09:33:53 AM
I'm never a massive fan of these posts that claim nepotism/underhand reasons for playing someone.
And so why infer that I have?

Jim©

I'm not inferring anything, you said "Parker and Wells have an emphatic interest in him doing well" as in emphatically more than other players in the squad.
Perhaps I'm wrong and if so I apologise, but it did seem clear as day to me.