watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (12/11/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 12, 2010, 07:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6501095/Tackling-trend-worries-Hughes?

Tackling trend worries Hughes

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has accused some players of putting their fellow professionals' health at risk through reckless tackling.

This season has seen a spate of controversial challenges in the Premier League, with the past week no exception.

Fulham's Clint Dempsey was the victim of the latest of them on Wednesday night when Chelsea's Michael Essien was sent off for a two-footed lunge on the United States midfielder.

At almost exactly the same time, Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas hurt Stephen Ward with a tackle that forced the Wolves player off on a stretcher, while Lee Cattermole left Luka Modric in a heap 24 hours earlier with a challenge in Sunderland's 1-1 draw at Tottenham.

As a player renowned for his physical approach to the game, former Manchester United striker Hughes may seem to some as the last person qualified to condemn reckless tackling.

But the 47-year-old insisted on Thursday there was a major difference between his heyday and the modern game.

"The game's faster, they're bigger athletes," said Hughes, who also accepted video technology ensured such incidents were highlighted far more now.

"The collisions, if they're mistimed or premeditated, then the consequences of that on an opposing player can be dire and significant.

"Years ago, I think there were a lot more fouls and it was refereed in a different way.

"Certainly in my day, I had the reputation - possibly wrongly, I would suggest probably rightly - that I was a physical player, enjoyed that side of the game.

"But, more often than not, people were fit and well when they came up against me after the game.

"Because it was about being competitive, but you never put your fellow professional at risk.

"Just lately, you sense some of the tackles are a little bit reckless and that can put other professionals at risk."

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti felt Essien should not have been sent off on Wednesday night, insisting he won the ball.

'Match of the Day' pundit Alan Hansen also claimed there was no intent from the midfielder to hurt Dempsey.

But Hughes said: "You leave the ground with two feet and you jump in like that, you're putting another player at risk.

"Probably, I would suggest, the Match of the Day panel hasn't watched the game in its whole entirety, because they rarely do."

There have been calls in the past for a panel of former players to sit in judgment of bad tackles but Hughes was sceptical about how it could be implemented.

"If you're not actually the person that committed the crime, it's very difficult to understand the intent that somebody has when they go into a challenge," he said.

"Sometimes a grimace can mean a lot of things.

"It might be that he's really determined to hurt somebody or it might be that he's struggling physically to keep up with the game, and that's the face he pulls when he's struggling physically.

"It's very difficult to look at these panels and have confidence they will get the decisions right, most of the time.

"I think you've got more of a chance if you have got ex-players, senior players, who've played the game and understand challenges that can put people at risk.

"So that might be an advantage, but we'd have to wait and see whether or not in practice it'd actually work."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/trio/?

trio...
Filed under: General — rich
Interesting comment at Zonal Marking.

That's not really the fault of the players in that area, merely a result of the fact that both midfield trios had an overwhelmingly functional feel to them. We can take the ideal midfield trio as possessing (a) a ball-winner (b) a passer and (c) attacking creator. Think of Liverpool with Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard, Barcelona with Toure-Xavi-Iniesta, Chelsea with Makelele-Tiago-Lampard, Inter with Cambiasso-Motta-Sneijder, Arsenal with Song-Denilson-Fabregas. There are exceptions, of course, but in 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 formations this seems to be the general model.

Can we do this?  Arguably Murphy is best at all three.   But I would nominate Greening, Murphy, Dempsey.   You might argue for Baird as the tackler but I am persuaded by Greening's presence.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6501200,00.html?

Hughes admits tackle worries
Fulham manager concerned about reckless challenges

Mark Hughes has voiced his concerns over the number of reckless challenges in the game.

This season has seen a spate of controversial tackles in the Premier League and there were several getting discussed again after the midweek round of matches.

Fulham manager Hughes was witness to one such incident on Wednesday as Chelsea's Michael Essien was sent for a two-footed lunge on Clint Dempsey.
Cesc Fabregas also hurt Stephen Ward as Arsenal beat Wolves, and Lee Cattermoleleft Luka Modric in a heap 24 hours earlier with a challenge in Sunderland's 1-1 draw at Tottenham.

Hughes was known for his physicality during his playing days and accepts that this side of the game has always been important.

However, he believes that if tackles are not quite right in the modern game then players are putting their fellow professionals' health at risk.

Hughes explained: "The game's faster, they're bigger athletes. The collisions, if they're mistimed or premeditated, then the consequences of that on an opposing player can be dire and significant.

"Years ago, I think there were a lot more fouls and it was refereed in a different way.

"Certainly in my day, I had the reputation - possibly wrongly, I would suggest probably rightly - that I was a physical player, enjoyed that side of the game.

"But, more often than not, people were fit and well when they came up against me after the game.

"Because it was about being competitive, but you never put your fellow professional at risk.

"Just lately, you sense some of the tackles are a little bit reckless and that can put other professionals at risk."

Difficult

There have been calls in the past for a panel of former players to sit in judgement of bad tackles but Hughes is not sure how such a system could be implemented.

"If you're not actually the person that committed the crime, it's very difficult to understand the intent that somebody has when they go into a challenge," he said.

"Sometimes a grimace can mean a lot of things.

"It might be that he's really determined to hurt somebody or it might be that he's struggling physically to keep up with the game, and that's the face he pulls when he's struggling physically.

"It's very difficult to look at these panels and have confidence they will get the decisions right, most of the time.

"I think you've got more of a chance if you have got ex-players, senior players, who've played the game and understand challenges that can put people at risk.

"So that might be an advantage, but we'd have to wait and see whether or not in practice it'd actually work."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1328929/Graham-Poll-Joey-Barton-deserves-ban-Cesc-Fabregas-Clint-Dempsey-seen-red-like-Michael-Essien.html?

Joey Barton deserves his ban, Cesc Fabregas and Clint Dempsey should have seen red like Michael Essien

this week's extravaganza of Premier League matches has thrown up three major flashpoints, with some difficult challenges for the referees involved. Here's how I see it:

1 Joey Barton has been complaining that players with a bad boy reputation don't get what they deserve. After his dreadful, sneaky punch to Blackburn Rovers Morten Gamst Pedersen's midriff I am pleased the FA have given him exactly what he deserves — a three-game ban.

Because referee Mike Jones did not see the incident, there was nothing to prevent our reluctant guardians of the game from acting, in contrast to happened with Tom Huddlestone's great escape earlier in the week.

No one can have failed to be impressed with Barton's form and demeanour for Newcastle so far this season. Despite his confession, after his violent attack on Pedersen, leopards and spots come to mind.

No question: Barton deserves his punishment

2 Cesc Fabregas is a highly-gifted footballer who knows what he is doing on a football pitch.

To suggest that his challenge on Wolves' Stephen Ward was accidental is crass and an insult to those watching football. And yet that is what Arsene Wenger attempted to do after the game, saying: 'I think it was accidental, that's what Cesc told me.'
At least Wenger did not fall back on his 'I did not see it' mantra.

He was calm and charming but I wonder how he would have reacted had Karl Henry made a similar challenge on one of his players.

Fabregas flew in and caught Ward just below the knee with a dangerous challenge that endangered the safety of his opponent. There can be no question that he should have been sent off by referee Mark Halsey, whose yellow card will prevent the FA taking further action.

I am not suggesting that Fabregas intended to hurt Ward but I am sure he meant to make that challenge, he didn't trip and fall into it.

Did you see that? Fabregas flies in to tackle Ward
As the highly-gifted individual that he is, he must know the ramifications of flying into a tackle across the front of an opponent who is trying to clear the ball upfield.

It would have been no surprise had Ward suffered a serious injury — the type Fabregas has seen and been horrified by.

Wenger revealed that Fabregas went into the Wolves dressing room to apologise to Ward for the tackle which, while commendable, does nothing to detract from the offence. I wonder how welcome the Spaniard would have been had he broken Ward's leg.

Arsenal continue to bemoan the treatment they are receiving at the hands of their opponents and yet they have the worst disciplinary record in the Barclays Premier League (see table below).

It could be that they have decided referees are not affording them the protection they desire and so are taking matters into their own hands.

That is a very dangerous game to play.

School of hard knocks: The Dempsey elbow (above) and Essien's tackle (below)

But something made the Chelsea man commit a very poor, two-footed jump tackle which has no place in the game, whatever the era. I accept that Essien dropped his legs short of landing fully on Dempsey, which probably saved a really serious injury.

Martin Atkinson had no option but to show red and for Carlo Ancelotti to query the decision was disappointing.

But not as disappointing as Alan Hansen's steadfast refusal to accept the challenge as a sending off on Match of the Day.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1328929/Graham-Poll-Joey-Barton-deserves-ban-Cesc-Fabregas-Clint-Dempsey-seen-red-like-Michael-Essien.html#ixzz153L9GBJ9

WhiteJC

the top image wont load in the above thread?

School of hard knocks: The Dempsey elbow (above) and Essien's tackle (below)

WhiteJC

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk:80/arsenal/arsenal/gunners_target_to_force_move_in_january_1_680316?

Gunners target to 'force move' in January

Mark Schwarzer has hinted he will try to "force" Fulham to sell him in January after being denied a summer move to Arsenal.

Australia goalkeeper Schwarzer saw a written transfer request snubbed by the Cottagers during a close season in which the Gunners bid £2million for his services. But the 37-year-old, whose contract expires next summer, looks set to make a fresh bid for freedom when the window reopens.

"A lot can happen between now and January. What will be will be," Schwarzer said. "If there's an opportunity in January then we'll explore it."

Speaking after arriving in his native Australia for their upcoming friendly against Paraguay, Schwarzer added: "This is the only time in my career I have ever tried to force an issue.

"I don't have time on my side. If you were a 30-year-old, you would walk away and say, 'Fair enough, I understand'.

"But I'm almost 38 and I want to fulfil an ambition. The sheer opportunity that was there - that was very flattering.

"But sometimes you've just got to grin and bear it and just get on with normal life again as much as possible.

"You just have to get your head down and work as hard as possible.

"It can affect your day-to-day life, and ultimately I am judged on how I perform week in, week out.

"If that performance drops, then no club is going to be interested in me. The bottom line is I've got to play well, wherever I am.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943623/Newcastle-United-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

Newcastle United v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between Newcastle United and Fulham at St James's Park on Saturday Nov 13 2010, kick-off 15:00 GMT.

Saturday, November 13
Newcastle United v Fulham
St James' Park
Kick-off: 3pm
TV: Highlights, BBC1 Match of the Day.

Newcastle (Probable, 4-4-2): Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Jose Enrique; Nolan, Barton, Tiote, Gutiérrez; Carroll, Ameobi.
Fulham (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Briggs; Davies, Etuhu, Murphy, Duff; Dembele, Dempsey.
Referee: Lee Probert. Matches: 8. R4 Y22.

Tale of the game
When these teams last met, in the 2008-09 season, Fulham won home and away. At St James' Park, Newcastle had Sébastien Bassong – now at Spurs – sent off in what was to be his last appearance for the club. Fulham won with a goal from Diomansy Kamara.

Fulham's record at Newcastle is reasonably impressive with three wins, two draws and only three defeats in eight Premier League visits.

After consecutive wins, Newcastle lost at home to Blackburn on Wednesday, their third in six games at St James' Park.

Newcastle miss James Perch, Hatem Ben Arfa, Steve Harper and Dan Gosling.

Fulham are without Bobby Zamora, Fredrik Stoor, Philippe Senderos and Carlos Salcido, but manager Mark Hughes may consider giving a start to Andrew Johnson after four successive substitute appearances under his belt.

If Chris Baird is not fit Matthew Briggs should continue at left-back, with Stephen Kelly on the right.

Last season: N/A.

Stat of the game: Fulham, following their 1-0 defeat at Chelsea, have now gone 24 games since they last won away from Craven Cottage.

Betting tip: Fulham can't win away and Newcastle struggle at home. Guess what? A draw! Try 1-1 at 6-1.

WhiteJC

http://www.footylatest.com/italian-giants-to-challenge-liverpool-for-fulham-star/17939?

Italian giants to challenge Liverpool for Fulham star
The big Fulham defender Brede Hangeland is no stranger to rumours about him leaving Craven Cottage in every transfer window, and it looks like this January will not be any different. Last summer he was strongly linked with a move to Arsenal, and recently there has been talk that his old boss Roy Hodgson was keen to take Hangeland to Anfield. The Liverpool boss has been promised funds to strengthen the team and Hangeland will be one of his top targets.

But today it seems that Hangeland's excellent for for Fulham has now attracted the attention of a couple of Italian giants as well. Last week it was Inter Milan who were linked with a move for him, and today TalkSport reports that the Old Lady of Italian football, Juventus, are also considering a starting bid of £6m to try and tempt Mark Hughes into letting him go.

But with Hangeland's excellent reputation and record in English football, it is thought that Mark Hughes wouldn't consider letting him go for under £10m, and if Liverpool join the Italians in a bidding war then he could easily realise that price.

Roy Hodgson said last night that he definitely needs a new defender in January, and he has a fantastic relationship with Hangeland so a move to Anfield may be the most likely scenario.....

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9181426.stm

Banned Joey Barton 'sorry' for Pedersen punch

Newcastle's Joey Barton has accepted a violent conduct charge after punching Morten Gamst Pedersen at St James' Park and apologised to the Blackburn player.

Midfielder Barton, 28, will be banned for the Premier League games against Fulham, Bolton and Chelsea.

"I would like to apologise to [Magpies boss] Chris Hughton, my team-mates, our fans and of course to Morten Gamst Pedersen and Blackburn," Barton said.

The Football Association acted after referee Mike Jones missed the incident.

However, the official subsequently assessed video replays, in which Barton appeared to strike Norwegian Pedersen in the midriff, to decide if the offence would have warranted a red card if he had seen it.

"I fully accept that I was in the wrong on this occasion and accept the charge that the Football Association have brought against me," Barton added.

"I hold my hands up, I reacted badly to the situation on Wednesday night and I deeply regret it.

"I have been working very hard to keep that side of my game under control and I think it has showed in the way I have been able to get on and enjoy my football this season.

"I look forward to trying to get back into the team once my suspension is over and helping the club maintain its good start to the season."

Barton will be available for selection to Newcastle manager Chris Hughton for his side's trip to West Brom on 5 December.

At full-time in Newcastle's 2-1 defeat at St James' Park, Hughton, Blackburn counterpart Sam Allardyce and Pedersen would not be drawn on the incident.

But on Thursday, after viewing television footage, Hughton warned that Barton's controversial reputation would heighten attention on the case.

"I have seen it again and I am aware that he has raised his hands," he stated.

"But I am also very conscious that because it's Joey Barton, there will be far more made of it than any other individual."
Also speaking on Thursday, Blackburn assistant boss Neil McDonald agreed with the suggestion that it was a "full-bloodied punch".

"It was unprovoked as well, which probably makes it worse," McDonald added.

Barton, who has won one cap for England, has been involved in several high-profile incidents, including an assault on French midfielder Ousmane Dabo when both players were at Manchester City.

Barton was jailed for six months in 2008 after admitting common assault in a separate case.

He has played an important part in the Newcastle's rise to fifth in the table, featuring in every minute of the newly-promoted side's top-flight campaign.

Defeat at home to Blackburn ended a run of three consecutive league wins for the Magpies.

Pedersen had given Rovers the lead after only three minutes, and although Andy Caroll levelled for the hosts, Jason Roberts hit an 82nd minute winner as the visitors ended Newcastle's run of three consecutive league wins.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/9179764.stm

Lawro's Premier League predictions

Newcastle v Fulham

You just can't judge Newcastle at home, you are never quite sure what you are going to get. Good or bad. There have been teams that have gone to St James' Park and won quite comfortably which before the start of the season you wouldn't have predicted. But Fulham have struggled on the road. Yes, they haven't had that many defeats but they haven't made the opposition work defensively.

With any club that comes up from the Championship, in order to survive you need to have one player who is going to get you goals to keep you in the league, and Newcastle look to have found that player in Andy Carroll.

Prediction: 2-0

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/2547/4/fulham-step-chase-full-back-safari

Fulham step up chase for full-back Safari

Fulham have stepped up their pursuit of Basel full-back Behrang Safari but will face stiff competition for his services from Werder Bremen.

talkSPORT last month revealed Mark Hughes was an admirer of the Iran-born defender after his scouts returned from watching him with a positive verdict.

And it appears that Fulham could be weighing up a January bid for Safari after scouts from the west London club saw him impress in the Champions League against Roma last week.

But Bundesliga club Werder Bremen consider Safari as the perfect solution to their current left-back problem and appear ready to pay Basel their asking price of £3m.

Fellow German club Hannover are also keeping tabs on the situation so Fulham will face a battle to land him.

WhiteJC

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3223254/Wojciech-Szczesny-pens-new-Gunners-deal.html

Woj is Gunner get a massive pay rise

ARSENAL'S third-choice keeper Wojciech Szczesny has signed a new deal - for FIFTEEN times his pay.

The Poland international's salary has shot up from £2,000 to £30,000 a week after the 6ft 5in stopper agreed a five-year deal.

It means boss Arsene Wenger will shelve his interest in long-term targets Mark Schwarzer and Shay Given as he expects Szczesny to challenge Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski for the Gunners' No 1 spot.

Szczesny, who spent last season on loan at League One Brentford, suggested he would look elsewhere for first-team football after making just two League Cup appearances for Arsenal since 2007.

But he has now committed his future to Arsenal, who are also working on new contracts for Gael Clichy, Samir Nasri and Andrey Arshavin.

Meanwhile, Wolves defender Stephen Ward, 25, has forgiven Cesc Fabregas for his horror tackle on Wednesday.

Ward was carried off on a stretcher after being scythed down by Arsenal's skipper in Wolves' 2-0 defeat at Molineux.

The sliding tackle left a gash in Ward's shin that needed five stitches.

But the left-back said: "There's no hard feelings. It's just a mistimed tackle.

"I appreciate him apologising. It shows the kind of player he is - these things happen in football."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3223254/Wojciech-Szczesny-pens-new-Gunners-deal.html#ixzz153Q6p2nk

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/46156/newcastle-united-vs-fulham/preview

Newcastle United - Fulham Preview: Joey Barton suspended as Cottagers look for first away league win in 15 months

TEAM NEWS

Newcastle United

Newcastle are without Joey Barton after the midfielder received a three-match ban for punching Morten Gamst Pedersen during their 2-1 defeat to Blackburn Rovers on Wednesday night.

Wayne Routledge is the likely candidate to replace the suspended Barton on the right of the Magpies midfield.

Shola Ameobi is also a doubt for Chris Hughton's side as he limped off against Blackburn with a hamstring injury. Nile Ranger came on for Ameobi at half-time against Rovers, and will be hoping to get his chance from the start to partner the in-form Andy Carroll in attack.

It depends whether Chris Hughton elects to play the 4-2-3-1 formation which he started the season with, or carry on with the 4-4-2 system which has gained the Magpies wins over rivals Sunderland and most notably an impressive 1-0 victory against Arsenal.

Possible starting XI: Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Enrique; Routledge, Nolan, Tiote, Gutierrez; Ranger, Carroll.

Fulham

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has highlighted the importance of Brede Hangeland as he prepares a team to defend against the in-form striker in the Premier League, Andy Carroll.

The Cottagers have no new injury worries and will bring the same squad to St James' Park that fell to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of local rivals Chelsea on Wednesay night.

Academy graduate Matthew Briggs should get his second start for Fulham after making his debut on Wednesday against Chelsea, as first choice left-back Carlos Salcido is out until December with a knee ligament injury.

Possible starting XI: Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland, Briggs; Davies, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff; Dempsey, Dembele.

Past Meetings

Eighteen months ago, Roy Hodgson's Fulham side came to St James' Park on the penultimate game of the season, to face Alan Shearer's Newcastle United, desperate for three points in their bid for Premier League survival.

Diomansy Kamara netted the only goal to give Fulham a 1-0 win and send Newcastle closer to the drop. The Geordies' fate was sealed a week later, as current Fulham player Damien Duff deflected a shot past Steve Harper to relegate Newcastle to the Championship.

The two sides have met eight times in the Premier League at St James' Park, both winning three times, with the game ending level on two separate occasions.

Home sickness

Fulham are without an away win in the Premier League since a Bobby Zamora goal secured a 1-0 victory against Portsmouth in August 2009, and will be looking to capitalise on Newcastle's inconsistent home form on Saturday.

Newcastle are the complete opposite and have one of the best away records in the division, recording victories over West Ham, Everton and Arsenal.

The Toon Army are currently the most unpredictable team in the division, having lost at home to Stoke, Blackpool and Blackburn, despite smashing 11 goals past Sunderland and Aston Villa respectively at St James' Park.

The home side currently sit fifth in the table, four points ahead of 15th-placed Fulham, and both sides will be eager for a win to gain some breathing space in a very tight division.

Tom

Quote from: WhiteJC on November 12, 2010, 08:04:41 AM
http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk:80/arsenal/arsenal/gunners_target_to_force_move_in_january_1_680316?

Gunners target to 'force move' in January

Mark Schwarzer has hinted he will try to "force" Fulham to sell him in January after being denied a summer move to Arsenal.

Australia goalkeeper Schwarzer saw a written transfer request snubbed by the Cottagers during a close season in which the Gunners bid £2million for his services. But the 37-year-old, whose contract expires next summer, looks set to make a fresh bid for freedom when the window reopens.

"A lot can happen between now and January. What will be will be," Schwarzer said. "If there's an opportunity in January then we'll explore it."

Speaking after arriving in his native Australia for their upcoming friendly against Paraguay, Schwarzer added: "This is the only time in my career I have ever tried to force an issue.

"I don't have time on my side. If you were a 30-year-old, you would walk away and say, 'Fair enough, I understand'.

"But I'm almost 38 and I want to fulfil an ambition. The sheer opportunity that was there - that was very flattering.

"But sometimes you've just got to grin and bear it and just get on with normal life again as much as possible.

"You just have to get your head down and work as hard as possible.

"It can affect your day-to-day life, and ultimately I am judged on how I perform week in, week out.

"If that performance drops, then no club is going to be interested in me. The bottom line is I've got to play well, wherever I am.
Not this sh!t again!  :tom:
Fulham for life!

epsomraver

This is old sh*te, OZ played Paraguay in early October

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-hero-goma-impressed-hughes-hangeland-pairing-1244161?

Fulham hero Goma impressed by Hughes, Hangeland pairing

Fulham hero Alain Goma is impressed by the current defensive pairing.

Goma knows Aaron Hughes from their time together at Newcastle United and is also a fan of Brede Hangeland.

He told fulhamfc.com: "I know Aaron Hughes because we played together at Newcastle – I could see that he was very serious and professional about his football and you need these qualities at the top level.

"He's a top man, when I played with him he was quite young but you could see that he had a great future in front of him. Aaron has played everywhere in defence, he's quick, he's good in the air and he can read the game which is what you need when playing centre-half.

"I saw Brede Hangeland playing a few times and the most important thing is both players compliment each other.

"Week-in, week-out they play together so they've built up this partnership – which is something that's so important for centre-halves."

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/11/12/no_salcido_return_for_cottagers?

No Salcido return for Cottagers
Fulham have no fresh injury concerns for the Barclays Premier League game at Newcastle.

Mexican defender Carlos Salcido remains sidelined for more than a fortnight with ankle ligament damage.

The Cottagers will also be missing defender Chris Baird (thigh) but he could return for next weekend's match against Manchester City.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329009/Mark-Hughes-calls-referees-integrity-respected.html?

Back the man in black: Mark Hughes calls for referee's integrity to be respected

Mark Hughes believes managers must retain faith in the integrity of referees even when they appear inconsistent in their handling of overzealous challenges.

The Fulham boss raised concerns that a number of recent tackles in the Barclays Premier League could have led to serious injury.

Hughes' players have been on the receiving end of a number of tough challenges this season, with Michael Essien's jumping two-footed tackle on Clint Dempsey in the 1-0 loss to Chelsea on Wednesday the latest of those.

Sunderland's Lee Cattermole was also cautioned for a tackle in his midweek outing at Tottenham which on another day might have warranted a red card.

'Sometimes there's a little bit of inconsistency, and, if the referee hasn't seen it, you trust that he's being honest,' said Hughes, who takes his side to Newcastle on Saturday. 'There have been examples in the past where sometimes I've thought that a referee has made a decision and he hasn't seen the incident, but still taken a view on it.
'It's just one of those things; you have to trust the integrity of the referees.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329009/Mark-Hughes-calls-referees-integrity-respected.html#ixzz1546nL9Gt

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329019/Newcastle-v-FULHAM-Carlos-Salcido-remains-Chris-Baird.html?

Newcastle v FULHAM: Carlos Salcido remains out along with Chris Baird

Fulham have no fresh injury concerns for their Barclays Premier League game at Newcastle.

Mexican defender Carlos Salcido remains sidelined for more than a fortnight with ankle ligament damage.

Sidelined: Salcido (left) will be out for over two weeks
The Cottagers will also be missing defender Chris Baird (thigh) but he could return for next weekend's match against Manchester City.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Duff, Davies, Greening, A Johnson, Murphy, Gera, Dembele, Dempsey, Stockdale, Pantsil, Etuhu, E Johnson, Briggs, Dikgacoi.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329019/Newcastle-v-FULHAM-Carlos-Salcido-remains-Chris-Baird.html#ixzz1547A0O8o

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/11/newcastle-united-v-fulham-hughton-seeks-victory-over-hughes.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29

Newcastle United v Fulham: Hughton seeks victory over Hughes

The Panel just can't suss Newcastle United out at all. No-one tipped them to win at the Emirates yet they left with all three points. So when no-one tipped them to lose at home against Blackburn Rovers in midweek we should have expected a win for Big Sam's men.

That defeat brought Chris Hughton's impressive three-game unbeaten run at Newcastle to an end but surely they must fancy their chances of beating Fulham this weekend.

The Cottagers haven't won away from the Cottage in the Premier League for almost 15 months but, in saying that, they have only lost once on their travels this season and that was against champions and west London rivals Chelsea in midweek. They also beat Newcastle 1-0 on their visit to Tyneside.

Newcastle seem to prefer playing away from St James' Park at the moment but the Panel feels this is a game with their name on it.

A win for the hosts will see them cement their place in fifth place but a win for Fulham would see them climb into the half and sit just one point off Newcastle.