News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where is the Michael Jackson Statue these days ?

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, January 28, 2020, 01:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cottage expat

SP

Woolly Mammoth

Placed in a Rocket to the moon accompanied along with Gary Lineker, as MJ is a Statue, and GL looks like one. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 06, 2020, 11:30:39 PM
Placed in a Rocket to the moon accompanied along with Gary Lineker, as MJ is a Statue, and GL looks like one.

Time for the MJ statue to "Moonwalk".

RaySmith

A couple of  people have taken the p out of me about this in fairly recent times, though before the most recent film about MJ.

One was a physio, a Liverpool fan , treating me for a knee problem, who'd seen the statue in the   Manchester Football Museum.

Another was on a Workers' Educational Association creative writing day class, a Burnley fan.

On writing about 'our favourite place',  he put Turf Moor, while i wrote about the Cottage. He then started going on about 'the Michael Jackson  statue out the front.'
I explained that it  hadn't been out the front, where there was a statute of the illustrious Johnny Haynes, and it was no longer there anyway.
The teacher then had a go at us 'let's not have blokes arguing about football.'

Wolf

I'd have rather it had been destroyed than sent to the National Football Museum to perpetuate the psstake.  Presumably it was part of a display entitled Owners' Foibles
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

The Old Count

Would anyone have accepted the statue in good spirit if it meant that Mr Al Fayed would have maintained his interest and continued to invest to bring further success to the club rather than selling it off?

RaySmith

If it was presented as an 'either/or'  option, maybe they maybe would.

Except MJ has become an even more problematic figure since the recent film, when people were discussing whether or not they could  even listen to his records any longer - and i bet they aren't played that much now.
Even MAF might have thought having the statue was a  bad idea.

I wonder, and it's been discussed here, if  the criticism of many fans of the statue helped MAF become disenchanted with Fulham?

f321ffc

Quote from: charlieFFC on January 28, 2020, 04:21:55 PM
We are yet to stay up during a premier league season since it was removed.

Maybe its time we brought it back? Straight swap for Cyrus or Ream?
If it did come back the only place for it is in the foundations of the new stand.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Logicalman

Quote from: The Old Count on February 08, 2020, 09:04:14 AM
Would anyone have accepted the statue in good spirit if it meant that Mr Al Fayed would have maintained his interest and continued to invest to bring further success to the club rather than selling it off?

Not certain that statue would ever have been universally accepted. MaF was a custodian of our great club, as have been others before him, and so No, I would not have agreed to what you proposed. He still had the interest in the club, just not the coffers to maintain that interest.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: f321ffc on February 08, 2020, 02:35:55 PM
Quote from: charlieFFC on January 28, 2020, 04:21:55 PM
We are yet to stay up during a premier league season since it was removed.

Maybe its time we brought it back? Straight swap for Cyrus or Ream?
If it did come back the only place for it is in the foundations of the new stand.

.. as in the foundations below the water mark!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: RaySmith on February 08, 2020, 02:29:38 PM

Except MJ has become an even more problematic figure since the recent film, when people were discussing whether or not they could  even listen to his records any longer - and i bet they aren't played that much now.

I wonder, and it's been discussed here, if  the criticism of many fans of the statue helped MAF become disenchanted with Fulham?

I think he made his opinion of our fans quite clear in his response to their objections. Unfortunately (for him) I support the club, not the owner, I put up with the various owners for the (often short) period of time they are financing my club, but the moment they leave, my support for them goes with, not my gratitude of course if they've done a good job, just my support.

The Old Count

Quote from: RaySmith on February 08, 2020, 02:29:38 PM

The fan's criticism was a major factor in his decision. He felt that, at the very least, he should have been indulged in his desire to have the statue sited at the ground. The fan's reaction came as a shock to him. He thought that pumping money into the club and achieving the level of success he did would make him immune fron criticism.