more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thought we were fantastic

Started by fulhamben, February 01, 2020, 05:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarks

Quote from: MJG on February 02, 2020, 10:54:26 AM
I dont get the comments about Odoi being able to take the ball out from back. I know I'm critical of him at CB but what some of you are saying is exactly why he gives me the wobbles in that position. He did it yesterday, runs out with it and passed two yards straight to a Huddersfield player. When he actually runs with it and pushes ball in front he usually puts it too far forward and that when he loses its. Not for me sorry, rb fine.

I agree with that post entirely, I also think Ream is better than Denis as the ball playing CB in the championship.

WindyCity

Quote from: roberto w6 on February 02, 2020, 10:07:01 AM

Alas, over the 90 minutes, I think we were lucky to get the 3 points rather than a draw and I don't think it would have been a major shock if Huddersfield had put away 2 more of their chances (thank you Marek Rodak) and we'd have come away with nothing.

----Bingo!!

Stating the obvious, the thing that troubles me is the inconsistency. I could equally see us finishing Top 2 as I could 7th or 8th.

----Bingo!!

"Inconsistency" has been FFC's middle name all season long.  Very frustrating.  And it's true, we could see FFC top 2 or top 6 or totally out of the playoff picture.  Supporters keep waiting and waiting for this team to turn 'good', and we still wait.  Nice to be in third at present, sure seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors, but FFC only a few points above non qualification for playoffs.  Rodak absolutely saved us points v Hudd.  FFC needs to do much better than they have to date if promotion is gonna be in the picture.

Sting of the North

Quote from: WindyCity on February 03, 2020, 04:17:17 PM

Alas, over the 90 minutes, I think we were lucky to get the 3 points rather than a draw and I don't think it would have been a major shock if Huddersfield had put away 2 more of their chances (thank you Marek Rodak) and we'd have come away with nothing.

----Bingo!!

Stating the obvious, the thing that troubles me is the inconsistency. I could equally see us finishing Top 2 as I could 7th or 8th.

----Bingo!!

"Inconsistency" has been FFC's middle name all season long.  Very frustrating.  And it's true, we could see FFC top 2 or top 6 or totally out of the playoff picture.  Supporters keep waiting and waiting for this team to turn 'good', and we still wait.  Nice to be in third at present, sure seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors, but FFC only a few points above non qualification for playoffs.  Rodak absolutely saved us points v Hudd.  FFC needs to do much better than they have to date if promotion is gonna be in the picture.

In reality it seems like FFC only needs to do slightly better than they have to date for promotion to be quite real. Or is this a situation where the table is being untruthful, particularly for FFC?

Carborundum

With respect to centre backs, Saturday didn't really frame the key issue.  I don't really care whether Odoi is better or worse than Ream.  For the remainder of the season it's about whether Kongolo is better than either of them and I suspect that will prove to be the case.  To get promoted it needs to be.

WindyCity

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 03, 2020, 04:28:00 PM

----Bingo!!

----Bingo!!

In reality it seems like FFC only needs to do slightly better than they have to date for promotion to be quite real. Or is this a situation where the table is being untruthful, particularly for FFC?

In reality, I think FFC has to do much better, not just slightly better, to entertain promotion.  Winning by the slightest of margins recently (nothing wrong with that, tough league and all, but it is an 'indicator') against, in some cases, very weak sides and having lost games over course of the season to weak teams and in games in which FFC had late leads all points to inconsistency and the need to do much better, or promotion won't happen.  The table is truthful, in my opinion, of a very weak/mediocre Championship "class", and many clubs could qualify for promotion pending a late good run.  Hopefully FFC is one of those such teams.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 02, 2020, 11:15:56 AM
I dont get the comments about Odoi being able to take the ball out from back. I know I'm critical of him at CB but what some of you are saying is exactly why he gives me the wobbles in that position. He did it yesterday, runs out with it and passed two yards straight to a Huddersfield player. When he actually runs with it and pushes ball in front he usually puts it too far forward and that when he loses its. Not for me sorry, rb fine.
Did it once in the second half. Agree decision making in those positions could be better. Now one error like that can be very costly (we got away with it) so it is a factor in overall performance, but for me Denis did ok, and won a couple of crucial balls. Given that Ream, Kongolo, Mawson and Le Marchand all not available, Denis good cover. But for me he is our starting rb.

Agree with both you and MLG...and it's why I'm ok with the game ending the way it did.

Denis is our 4th best CB option...and there is a reason for that.    He's a better FB on either side.

Here's the thing.   

I hope people aren't forgetting how much of a defensive non factor MacDonald is.    He's OK because he's tall and smart.   But he's no longer athletic enough for every attacking side (which Huddersfield became when they were down 3-0).

People are going to hate on me for making this suggestion...but if I were Scott Parker I'd think about making a Calum Chambers move with Kongolo and keep Ream or Mawson partnered with Hector.

A defensive lineup with

Odoi       Hector      Ream    Bryan

Kongolo

Would allow Cairney and Onamah to play the game the way they like to play without sacrificing defensive stability.

At the next level we're going to need to figure out that #6 position, because MacDonald, Reed nor Arter are going to cut it against premiere league attacks.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on February 03, 2020, 06:11:15 PM
Did it once in the second half. Agree decision making in those positions could be better. Now one error like that can be very costly (we got away with it) so it is a factor in overall performance, but for me Denis did ok, and won a couple of crucial balls. Given that Ream, Kongolo, Mawson and Le Marchand all not available, Denis good cover. But for me he is our starting rb.

Agree with both you and MLG...and it's why I'm ok with the game ending the way it did.

Denis is our 4th best CB option...and there is a reason for that.    He's a better FB on either side.

Here's the thing.   

I hope people aren't forgetting how much of a defensive non factor MacDonald is.    He's OK because he's tall and smart.   But he's no longer athletic enough for every attacking side (which Huddersfield became when they were down 3-0).

People are going to hate on me for making this suggestion...but if I were Scott Parker I'd think about making a Calum Chambers move with Kongolo and keep Ream or Mawson partnered with Hector.

A defensive lineup with

Kongolo

Would allow Cairney and Onamah to play the game the way they like to play without sacrificing defensive stability.

At the next level we're going to need to figure out that #6 position, because MacDonald, Reed nor Arter are going to cut it against premiere league attacks.

We need Kongolo at the back to cover Bryan. Maybe it's time for Reed to come back in if fit.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on February 03, 2020, 06:21:54 PM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on February 03, 2020, 06:11:15 PM

Here's the thing.   

A defensive lineup with

Kongolo

We need Kongolo at the back to cover Bryan. Maybe it's time for Reed to come back in if fit.

I don't rate him at all as a #6.   For weeks I've been trying to remember when Harrison Reed played a strong defensive game...and I couldn't put my finger on it.   Flying into tackles, making interceptions, pinging a long pass to someone...I just don't remember it.

Ream and Kongolo can both cover Bryan if Kongolo is the #6.

Ah...found it.   Reed was MOTM in the West Brom game back in September.

Still... I rate Kongolo as a defender more than I do Reed, Arter or Stefjo.

Sting of the North

Quote from: WindyCity on February 03, 2020, 04:59:16 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on February 03, 2020, 04:28:00 PM

----Bingo!!

----Bingo!!

In reality, I think FFC has to do much better, not just slightly better, to entertain promotion.  Winning by the slightest of margins recently (nothing wrong with that, tough league and all, but it is an 'indicator') against, in some cases, very weak sides and having lost games over course of the season to weak teams and in games in which FFC had late leads all points to inconsistency and the need to do much better, or promotion won't happen.  The table is truthful, in my opinion, of a very weak/mediocre Championship "class", and many clubs could qualify for promotion pending a late good run.  Hopefully FFC is one of those such teams.

So, is it a weak league, or is the table lying?

toshes mate

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 03, 2020, 07:10:31 PM
So, is it a weak league, or is the table lying?
It seems to be a pretty average Championship table as MJG's statistical analysis seem to indicate but as the leaders' form has fallen away slightly and the followers continue to show little consistency it is wide open for someone to shake things up.  The five game form team at the moment is Bristol City with an eighty percent points record, but nobody remains unbeaten over five games. My reason for wishing to see a little more consistency in our performances is because the sooner we do it the harder it will be for other clubs to catch us up.  Any team in the top half of the table could win the title with a very strong sixteen game finish.     

colinwhite

Dont think it is a weak championship. Stoke and Huddersfield in the lower half of the league indicates the opposite. both have lots of premiership experience. Wolves were an exception when they went up .

Sting of the North

Also, whether it's a weak league or not is not very important when assessing how relatively good FFC needs to be, since I assume the alleged weak league will not all of a sudden become a strong league for the last 16 games.

Although I am not a huge fan of the "the table never lies"-mantra, it doesn't change the fact that the table is the best indicator of overall performance over time that we have. So again, FFC being just a few points of automatic surely means that we have a decent chance of promotion if we keep to our current standards.

That said though, there is plenty of room for improvement, especially in midfield. Some consistency and we can win the league. Keep up this habit of having no synergy in midfield (internally and towards other parts of the team) and we are also well capable of missing the playoffs.

Jim©

I don't agree with the "weak league" tag at all.
Points gained by any team do not point to the league being weaker or stronger than previously, it's a non-sensical argument.
There are a number of teams in this division that have strong squads: West Brom, Leeds, Fulham, Stoke, Forest, Swansea, Huddersfield even Brentford (!).
How people can compare them like for like with the Championship (for example) when we went up via playoffs, I have no idea.

Statto

Quote from: Jim© on February 04, 2020, 12:05:31 PM
Points gained by any team do not point to the league being weaker or stronger than previously, it's a non-sensical argument.
There are a number of teams in this division that have strong squads: West Brom, Leeds, Fulham, Stoke, Forest, Swansea, Huddersfield even Brentford (!).
How people can compare them like for like with the Championship (for example) when we went up via playoffs, I have no idea.

agree with this and colinwhite above

General

Quote from: Jim© on February 04, 2020, 12:05:31 PM

Perhaps it's because people seem to think we've dropped a lot of easy points this year and that plus parker being new to the role suggests the league isn't that special, plus last time we went up we were a second month into an unbeaten stretch only just got us to miss out on second, whereas now any team from 12th to 3rd is within a 9-10 point margin?..

I think our squad is stronger this year although we've less clinical options up front and less contribution from midfield. Leeds are a strong squad but have been for a while.. currently they've won one since mid November or mid December.

WindyCity

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 04, 2020, 11:34:50 AM
That said though, there is plenty of room for improvement, especially in midfield. Some consistency and we can win the league. Keep up this habit of having no synergy in midfield (internally and towards other parts of the team) and we are also well capable of missing the playoffs.

Yep, that pretty much sums up what I've been posting the last couple of months and also in this particular thread. 

COYW!!!