News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Am I the only one never to have walked through bishops park.

Started by bobbo, February 03, 2020, 10:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

Been going for in excess of 60 years but even in the early days going with t cousins we travelled from near greyhound road and I've always come to the ground from the Hammersmith area since I live west London . I feel I must be missing something and need to do it one day before I can't.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Penfold

Quote from: bobbo on February 03, 2020, 10:56:22 PM
Been going for in excess of 60 years but even in the early days going with t cousins we travelled from near greyhound road and I've always come to the ground from the Hammersmith area since I live west London . I feel I must be missing something and need to do it one day before I can't.

Used to live in Queensmill Road as a kid so didn't go through Bishops Park then. However, have had pre match meets with friends in Putney and walked through the park en route a load of times. These days tend to go to Parsons Green pre match.

Sgt Fulham

For me it's an essential part of the Fulham experience. Try it before/after a game if you can at some point.

Fernhurst

Was going to ask you why ever not in no uncertain terms?

Then realised I've never walked from the Hammersmith side!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Fernhurst

When our Fulham Pier is open will stroll through the park, have coffee within our new facility then walk on through to Hammersmith bridge...... look forward to it

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: bobbo on February 03, 2020, 10:56:22 PM

If your walking from near Greyhound Road walking through Bishops Park doesn't make much sense. Bishops Park is best when there is no game on, surely you have been there other days.

Mince n Tatties

As the late Jimmy Armfield said"Best walk to a football ground anywhere "

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 04, 2020, 04:04:53 AM
Yes I am afraid you are, which can incur a fine.

Yes definitely... Community service litter picking..lol

The Rational Fan

TV show "Grange Hill" use to be shot on Greyhound Road.
https://youtu.be/AN54eBj9i7k

fulhamtom

I don't do it nowdays however I was a regular walker and always enjoyed waking to the game through the park, apart from when we played a few scummy teams where it could be frightening as a youngster. The walk back always seemed lovely when we won but if we lost and it was muddy or flooded I hated it!

filham

I think over the years I must have approached the Cottage from every route there is, both the river walks from Hammersmith Bridge and Putney Bridge are enjoyable but I think Putney and Bishops Park is the best and not to be missed.

Nowadays old age dictates parking as close to the Cottage as is possible.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

The funny thing is that when I lived in Fulham for 27 years I rarely walked through Bishops Park to football as from Peterborough Road it was better to cut across Parsons Green to the ground. After years of attending by car I then started travelling to Putney Bridge and enjoy the experience of walking through the park . It was interesting reading the prematch comments of Huddersfield supporters saying that this was their favourite away ground.
Having played in the park many times as a boy I can say that it is much improved on the old layout but it is a shame the attractive water area by the sand pit is not the good old paddling pool. Health and Safety rules!

Carborundum

Did the Putney station to Cottage walk for the first time in years on Saturday.  The parks fine, Putney High Road, not so much.  Years ago I took a couple of Dutch colleagues through the park at twilight for the Twente match and they thought it was amazing, so we are truly blessed.  Because my normal route is from near Chiswick Eyot and it's just got better and better as the waterfront has been made more accessible.  It's a glorious walk.

Stevieboy

Lived on Greyhound Road for the first 20 or so years of my life. No.11 just down from the Greyhound pub.
As a boy used to look out of the top floor window to see the gradual build up of black and white scarves going up Fulham Palace Road when I knew it was time to go !
Never walked through the park in those days obviously although spent many a day in there.
Can also remember sitting on the Hammy End terrace watching the Riversude Stand take shape in the days you could just walk in during the afternoon during the school holidays.
Happy happy days :003:

The Cravenette

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on February 04, 2020, 12:19:19 PM
The funny thing is that when I lived in Fulham for 27 years I rarely walked through Bishops Park to football as from Peterborough Road it was better to cut across Parsons Green to the ground. After years of attending by car I then started travelling to Putney Bridge and enjoy the experience of walking through the park . It was interesting reading the prematch comments of Huddersfield supporters saying that this was their favourite away ground.
Having played in the park many times as a boy I can say that it is much improved on the old layout but it is a shame the attractive water area by the sand pit is not the good old paddling pool. Health and Safety rules!

Ah yes the paddling pool. Perfectly positioned opposite the first aid hit. Queues of us kids waiting to get the glass removed from our feet! Remember it well

Fernhurst

My Mother walked my sister in her pram through Bishops Park in 1939!

Integral part of our family's life for a long long time.

cookieg

I've never walked from Hammersmith to the Cottage along the Thames so will have to try that one day.

Steven Ageroad

If you walk on the path next to the Thames and the weather is like last Saturday, cold and windy, wrap up well and that includes your Fulham scarf.

millsy

Don't think the new terrace behind the new stand will be open match days.

I come into Putney Bridge from Victoria and love the walk across the park, keeping to the river path, especially on warm days and evenings when the female joggers are out in force, then leave the Cottage by the back gate behind the Hammersmith end and make the slightly longer walk along the river to Hammersmith Stn., past the Crabtree and the modernised stretch of apartments, eateries and the rowing club.

So for me, best of both worlds, especially on winning days. Otherwise I have to put my ear buds in and listen to music on way home, to drown out the crowing away fans. This was at its worst, I recall, when Bournemouth were thrashing us a couple of seasons ago!