Main Menu

Kirk Douglas(Great Innings)

Started by Mince n Tatties, February 06, 2020, 09:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

bill taylors apprentice

brightster

No I passed away aged 103!
RIP to a true legend of the cinema screen.

Dodgin

I Ronic

Sunday afternoons in front of the telly watching those old films with him and Burt Lancaster. Happy days :)
RIP.

filham

A real great and a one off, gave so much pleasure to so many.

Neil D

Douglas - to his enduring credit - insisted that the blacklisted Dalton Trumbo be credited as the screenplay writer in his own name (not a pseudonym) for Spartacus which went some way to ending the iniquitous ban on 'communists' working in Hollywood.  The famous scene where several slave rebels each stands up and declares that he is 'Spartacus' in solidarity with Kirk Douglas was Trumbo's way of criticising those in Hollywood who had dobbed in their friends as commies to protect their own careers.

70sPimlico

I thought Natalie Wood was great in Rebel without a cause

KingofCheese

Quote from: Neil D on February 06, 2020, 12:56:03 PM
Douglas - to his enduring credit - insisted that the blacklisted Dalton Trumbo be credited as the screenplay writer in his own name (not a pseudonym) for Spartacus which went some way to ending the iniquitous ban on 'communists' working in Hollywood.  The famous scene where several slave rebels each stands up and declares that he is 'Spartacus' in solidarity with Kirk Douglas was Trumbo's way of criticising those in Hollywood who had dobbed in their friends as commies to protect their own careers.

Backstabbers like Ronald Reagan.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Steeeeeeeeeed

Quote from: 70sPimlico on February 06, 2020, 01:00:21 PM
I thought Natalie Wood was great in Rebel without a cause

Alluding to a strong rumour about her and Kirk there I think ?  Who knows really. If true certainly very nasty and poor Natalie she had a very harsh time in Hollywood. But also remember that most famous people, especially actors, have rumours thrown around about them.

Steeeeeeeeeed

I watched Paths Of Glory recently for the first time (it's Free on Amazon Prime, hidden away there)...What a fantastic movie, blew my mind that it was made in 1957. You could see the genius of Kubrick really shining through, and Kirk played a great part.

YankeeJim

Quote from: KingofCheese on February 06, 2020, 01:11:14 PM

I was enjoying this thread and then had a "I am Spartacus" moment as I began to wonder why some need to turn a tribute thread into a partisan political hit. Petty, my man, petty.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

BestOfBrede

Great actor and showed he had a fun side in Cactus Jack with a very young Arnold Schwarzenegger

Neil D

Tangentially related to the great actor but a funny (possibly apocryphal) story.  One of Kirk's four sons was called Eric who tried to make a living as a stand up comedian.  He was not much cop and on one occasion the audience started to boo.
'Don't you know who I am? I am the son of Kirk Douglas!', he shouted.
Someone in the audience stood up and shouted back, 'No, I'm the son of Kirk Douglas'. 
I hope it's true.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 06, 2020, 05:18:15 PM
Quote from: KingofCheese on February 06, 2020, 01:11:14 PM

I was enjoying this thread and then had a "I am Spartacus" moment as I began to wonder why some need to turn a tribute thread into a partisan political hit. Petty, my man, petty.

Correct.👍