News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So what happens if we get into the top two?

Started by Andy S, February 09, 2020, 12:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Will we go on a losing streak like Leeds and West Brom?

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

KingofCheese

Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

FFCFOREVER

Let's cross that bridge if and when we come to it. All I know is we don't want to be facing Brentford in a play off final. I think I can guess how that will end.

The Rational Fan

We have a shocking run in and we aren't scoring many goals, so a series of scoreless draws against "top seven teams" are more likely the cause of our downfall. If we don't pull ahead most of the teams around us will be happy with scoreless draws.

We need to position ourselves now high enough above most of the other "top seven teams" that they need a result, so they attack us and we score. In other words coming 2nd is not enough, we need to beat Milwall, Barnsley, Derby and Swansea, so when we play Preston, Bristol, Brentford and Leeds we are four points ahead of them so they don't want scoreless draws.

Statto

Quote from: KingofCheese on February 09, 2020, 12:08:23 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 09, 2020, 12:06:48 PM
Probably. We have a shocking run in.

Shocking or an opportunity?

Exactly

Said on another thread, form and league position mean virtually nothing in the run in

Woolly Mammoth

Don't panic Mr Mannering, looking further ahead than the next match will reduce your life span. If you are going to beat yourself up worrying about something you have no control over, then worry about Millwall, when that match has been and gone. Start worrying about Barnsley if you need to.
Look no further than the next match as that is the most important. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Fernhurst

We will cruise effortlessly away from the remainder of the division leaving them open mouthed and green with envy........... I wish.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 10, 2020, 12:10:14 AM
Don't panic Mr Mannering, looking further ahead than the next match will reduce your life span. If you are going to beat yourself up worrying about something you have no control over, then worry about Millwall, when that match has been and gone. Start worrying about Barnsley if you need to.
Look no further than the next match as that is the most important.

If we win and the next three games go our way, the table could be
Fulham 64
WBA 59
Forest 57
Brentford 56
Bristol 56
Leeds 55
Swansea 54
Preston 50
Our draw doesn't look so scary if that's the table we start the hard fixtures with.

Of course, the table won't be that good, but we can get to 70 points before the 10 hard fixtures begin.

ffcmatt

We will finish top 2. Leeds are pulling their annual bottle job, and were getting fit / clicking at the right time.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

FulhamStu

I think we had a run of very tough games towards the end when promoted.  Did we not beat Wolves and a few of the others at the top and that got us into a potential 2nd place chasing position which if we had won at Brum would have secured auto.  Sometimes I think it's best to play the better sides that those at the bottom who tend to play poo or bust football.  Top sides become afraid to lose what they have, this would be our biggest problem.  It's game by game and don't get ahead of yourself.  Forget the league table and win the next game.

RaySmith

Agree, it's very competitive  amongst the top six - we've just got to play our game, game by game, and try not to think about the outcome, or be anxious about it.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ffcmatt on February 10, 2020, 04:01:18 AM
We will finish top 2. Leeds are pulling their annual bottle job, and were getting fit / clicking at the right time.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

In their last 13 games, Leeds' hardest games are FFC, Cardiff, Swansea, and Blackburn.
In our last 13 games, FFC's hardest games are WestBrom, Leeds, Brentford, and Forest.

In the last 13 games, FFC play six teams harder than Cardiff and Leeds play only one (i.e. us).

colinwhite

There are no easy or hard games in the championship ,and we play better against the better teams (apart from Brentford away). every game will be equally hard for every team.

Mince n Tatties

We will win league by 8 points quite confident.
If we had Hector from start we'd be in that position now..I took 18/1 about us in December, so if it comes off season ticket for premier paid.
Coyw...Have faith😅

The Rational Fan

Quote from: colinwhite on February 10, 2020, 05:49:57 AM
There are no easy or hard games in the championship,and we play better against the better teams (apart from Brentford away). every game will be equally hard for every team.

Everyone says it, but that doesn't make it true. Teams against WBA have got 23 points in 31 games, but against Luton they have got 66 points in 31 games, while we need two points per game which is easier if your facing Luton. We are in better form and on the same points as Leeds, yet the bookies have them not us going up, because we have the tougher fixtures.

As for us being better against better teams, in the seven games against top eight teams in the table, we have got five points (which is pathetic).  If we repeat that past performance if we get 2 points a game against the other teams then we get 76 points.

As for Hector being enough of a difference to stop any goal, against weaker teams one great defender makes a huge difference, but against stronger teams we need two great central defenders and a mobile defensive midfielder. The same applies upfront with only one quality goalscorer against good teams, we have only scored 7 goals in 7 games against teams in the top eight.

fulhamben

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 10, 2020, 04:48:19 AM
I think we had a run of very tough games towards the end when promoted.  Did we not beat Wolves and a few of the others at the top and that got us into a potential 2nd place chasing position which if we had won at Brum would have secured auto.  Sometimes I think it's best to play the better sides that those at the bottom who tend to play poo or bust football.  Top sides become afraid to lose what they have, this would be our biggest problem.  It's game by game and don't get ahead of yourself.  Forget the league table and win the next game.
we were playing good football back then and was the team to fear, that's not the case this season
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

toshes mate

As much as the past can ever allow us to glimpse the future, it is as much an unreliable metric as anything else when placed in the wrong hands.  Seconds after the final whistle at Ewood Park last Saturday afternoon we could be forgiven for looking at the league table with some satisfaction but making or wanting to make that feeling last longer than a few minutes is as ridiculous a way to go as to allow a defeat to dictate your mood for longer than is necessary to satisfy the need to move on.   In fact you may ask yourself why it is that the sheer pleasure of the way a team or a player plays is much more likely to bolster confidence in the future even when following a defeat.   For sure results may seem to be everything but they can be a pretty insecure base for confidence in the future as this thread would suggest. 

Are Parker and his team of coaches getting things right, or are we getting results because that is the way football (and all sport) generally go?   In my head the jury is still out on the former but I do know the latter to be an absolute truth regardless.   

filham

The top two is the place to be right now:-
1. It means other teams have to get more points than us in the remaining games.
2.Confidence goes up a notch.
3. Opponents treat us with more respect
4. Fans will get off Parker's back.
5. A full house for every game at the Cottage.
6. Dreams of Preamier League football will be closer to reality.

YankeeJim

To the original question, we'll be sitting at the top of the table and give up a late goal to drop points and many on here will be predicting relegation.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.