https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ream or Kongolo? Millwall starting XI

Started by FulhamStu, February 09, 2020, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Quote from: love4ffc on February 10, 2020, 04:00:03 AM
Just a few thoughts from me. 

1 – Amazed how many people are writing off Ream.  Yes, he made a huge mistake in the City match but, just like the promotion season with his Odoi partnership he seems to have started a great thing with Hector.  Again, why change things when it is working. 

2 – Even Hector made a mistake against Blackburn that lead to a Blackburn player getting a shot off at near post.  Luckily Rodak got down low and quick and stopped the shot.  Guess everyone chooses not to remember that.  Point being everyone makes mistakes.  It's how you get yourself up and dust yourself off that matters and Ream came back and helped in the Blackburn match to keep a clean sheet. 

3 – Amazed that after only seeing Kongo in one match (Man City) that people can say he is going to be prem quality.  I sure couldn't say he is going to be a prem quality CB.  Though, I hope he does grow into being a strong reliable CB that goes on to do great things for Fulham at whatever level Fulham are competing at. 

4 – When it comes to Ream's future I would not be surprised if this is his last year with Fulham.  Not because he's not good enough to continue at the Championship level, nor because he's not good enough for the premier league.  But because I could see him returning to the States more for his young family. 

Heard a mate talk about attending the Brian McBride event at the Cottage years ago.  McBride mentioned that the reasons he left when he did was because if he didn't return to the states for his kids' education, that he would have had to wait five more years to go back due to the difference between a British and American education. 

Could see Ream doing the same thing and going back to the Columbus Crew of the MLS league.  If he does, good for him and his family.  He will go down in my mind as a true Fulham legend for his contributions to the first team.   

0001.jpeg

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 10, 2020, 04:43:52 AM
Quote from: love4ffc on February 10, 2020, 04:00:03 AM
Just a few thoughts from me. 

1 – Amazed how many people are writing off Ream.  Yes, he made a huge mistake in the City match but, just like the promotion season with his Odoi partnership he seems to have started a great thing with Hector.  Again, why change things when it is working. 

2 – Even Hector made a mistake against Blackburn that lead to a Blackburn player getting a shot off at near post.  Luckily Rodak got down low and quick and stopped the shot.  Guess everyone chooses not to remember that.  Point being everyone makes mistakes.  It's how you get yourself up and dust yourself off that matters and Ream came back and helped in the Blackburn match to keep a clean sheet. 

3 – Amazed that after only seeing Kongo in one match (Man City) that people can say he is going to be prem quality.  I sure couldn't say he is going to be a prem quality CB.  Though, I hope he does grow into being a strong reliable CB that goes on to do great things for Fulham at whatever level Fulham are competing at. 

4 – When it comes to Ream's future I would not be surprised if this is his last year with Fulham.  Not because he's not good enough to continue at the Championship level, nor because he's not good enough for the premier league.  But because I could see him returning to the States more for his young family. 

Heard a mate talk about attending the Brian McBride event at the Cottage years ago.  McBride mentioned that the reasons he left when he did was because if he didn't return to the states for his kids' education, that he would have had to wait five more years to go back due to the difference between a British and American education. 

Could see Ream doing the same thing and going back to the Columbus Crew of the MLS league.  If he does, good for him and his family.  He will go down in my mind as a true Fulham legend for his contributions to the first team.

Some very good points, I guess it's only in small part to what we saw at City and more to do with his reputation prior to Huddersfield and the hope that he is an upgrade similar to Hector.  It's like most things football wise, we all react to the last result, the last individual performance, our hopes and our disappointments.  My reaction was one of emotion and I suspect I was wrong, I would still however love to believe that Hector and Kongolo will form a centre back pairing on par or greater than Bred and Hughes... we all live in hope and fear eh !   I think someone once said it's the hope that kills you..how true is that !

5. Kongolo is top defender that has had some terrible center back partnerships this year, which is why he wasn't playing for Huddersfield. To me that doesn't sound like the kind of player you throw into a fixture with three days preparation that you should be able to win with Hector-Ream. I consider Kongolo here as cover until he's ready, may play the harder games where Ream might struggle and probably play from the international break on including the playoffs. The only question's are does Milwall's aerial threat, Barnsley's speed and the short gap between games poses a theat to Ream's performance.

fulhamben

We've been crying out for a better Defense for years, and now we have one we don't want to use it, only Fulham. Kongolo all day long
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

grandad

Ream can no longer play 2 games in a week. However Kongolo may have an injury.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ALG01

I note that the ream/hector/Kmac triangle represents our best defensive result... four games four clean sheets
I think it would be a strange thing to change that.
maybe kongolo is the future but if he were to b brought in and we conceded a couple then everuyone, especially people like me, would say why did you break up a successful partnership
Using the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Maidstone Lee

I would like to see StefJo back in the team ahead of Onomah. Feel a bit sorry for StefJo at the moment, would walk into most Championship side's starting XI and has been on the bench for a fair chunk of the season.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Sting of the North

Quote from: fulhamben on February 10, 2020, 08:22:53 AM
We've been crying out for a better Defense for years, and now we have one we don't want to use it, only Fulham. Kongolo all day long

But you don't know it's better. Especially short term that doesn't have to be the case at all, as seen countless times. An upgrade on paper is not always an upgrade in reality. Again, especially not short term.

Kongolo's been here a few weeks, and we are obviously not crying out for a better defense at the moment. There will come opportunities, and if Kongolo performs well enough in the minutes he gets as well as in training then he will most likely get to play more.

This is not only at Fulham but at most places.

The Rational Fan

Every team is always crying out for a better defense and a better defense attack, its a question of if we have some money where to invest. More invested in the back means less firepower upfront. I think we have needed attackers in the positions we bought in the last few seasons, a few scoreless draws and people will be saying why didn't we add some creative talent. Against better teams only Mitrovic scores that is what is going to hurt us this season, dropping points when we have only scored once shouldn't happen.

Facts Not Fiction

4 league clean sheets in a row...

MrFFC

My Millwall team

Rodak

Odoi   Hector   Ream  Bryan

Cairney   McDonald   Reid

Knockeart      Mitro     Cavaleiro 

Subs - Bettinelli , Christie , Sessegnon, Kongolo , Johansen , Onomah & Kamara
Come on you Whites!! :)

Dr Quinzel

I would say Kongolo, as I think he is a step up, but on form I don't see how Ream could be dropped (City aside, which is probably fair to excuse on balance).

Mullers OG

Rodak

Odoi  Hector Ream Bryan

Cairney  McD  Onomah

Knock  Mitro  Cav

Bench:-  Bett  Johanson  Kongolo  Reid  Christie Kebano  Stansfield

The long term signing of Stansfield and the signing of Bowie covers in the future the main weakness of our squad, namely the lack of cover for Mitrovic.  I was sorry to see Woodrow go (and I am pleased he has been so successful at Barnsley) and we have missed Ayite.  Let's all hope Mitro stays fit for the rest of the season as it is probably too early for Stan and no other striker good enough.

YankeeJim

Perhaps I'm being a skeptic, but I question a player who wasn't first choice at a team that has slipped 48 goals and is 16 spots below us in the table as being ready to be our savior. For some reason Ream has been a target ever since he has been at Fulham except for that wonderful run that got us promoted. Fulham fans always have to have someone to beat on and always believe that the latest incomer is the messiah. The word delusional comes to mind. That comes as a side effect of the Fulham disease we all seem to have. LOL
Kongolo is bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic. However, is he better on the ball, a better reader of the game, a better positioner? Does he fit Parker's game plan? Does he mesh well with Hector?
In the end, he likely will start; as long as he has a football brain. That is not in evidence as yet nor are his defensive skills.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Matt10

Ream is getting up there in age, but is still a reliable defender. I think we've blown out of proportion the red card vs City. Typically when one significant incident occurs, we review the entirety of the player's season, unless they've been absolutely outstanding such as Mitro or Hector at this point.

I think Kongolo is our long term play, and he will break into the starting lineup as long as Ream remains sharp. I like both players a lot, and I am glad they are there to compete with each other. It will make them better, and make our promotion pushing squad even stronger.

filham

One more thing needs to be said. Rea----------m.

Gezza

Sounds like Kongolo picked up an injury at end of Blackburn game. Gentleman Jim said he looked disconsolate ! Possibly not fit for Wednesday in any case.

BarryP

The question is would we have been crying out for a better defense this year if Hector had played from the beginning of the year because we have had a better defense since his inclusion.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

love4ffc

Quote from: Gezza on February 10, 2020, 06:05:26 PM

Sounds like Kongolo picked up an injury at end of Blackburn game. Gentleman Jim said he looked disconsolate ! Possibly not fit for Wednesday in any case.

The injury occorred right away after Kongolo came on.  He went in to defend a corner, jumped and headed the ball over the bar.  Landed awkwardly on his foot/ankle and was limping the rest of the match.  Hopefully not serious. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

fulhamben

Quote from: BarryP on February 10, 2020, 06:18:20 PM

The question is would we have been crying out for a better defense this year if Hector had played from the beginning of the year because we have had a better defense since his inclusion.
that is a good question, I presume we would have had a hector/ mawson combo till the later got injured again. But looking long term, I wouldn't want ream or mawson near a prem starting 11
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 10, 2020, 04:58:37 PM
Perhaps I'm being a skeptic, but I question a player who wasn't first choice at a team that has slipped 48 goals and is 16 spots below us in the table as being ready to be our savior. For some reason Ream has been a target ever since he has been at Fulham except for that wonderful run that got us promoted. Fulham fans always have to have someone to beat on and always believe that the latest incomer is the messiah. The word delusional comes to mind. That comes as a side effect of the Fulham disease we all seem to have. LOL
Kongolo is bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic. However, is he better on the ball, a better reader of the game, a better positioner? Does he fit Parker's game plan? Does he mesh well with Hector?
In the end, he likely will start; as long as he has a football brain. That is not in evidence as yet nor are his defensive skills.

Kongolo (like Mawson) is a much much better defender than Ream, but given Ream's performance this season being better than Kongolo, such selection decision is difficult.