watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: The clip from Barnsley yesterday is horrific

Started by SP, February 09, 2020, 05:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Over the top,but I suppose fear comes into it,the amount of young men carrying knives and stabbings going on,he wasn't to know if one of them was going to get stabbed or if they'd turn on him with a knife.

ffcmatt

Disgusting, looks like hes just a kid.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: ffcmatt on February 10, 2020, 02:42:26 PM
Disgusting, looks like hes just a kid.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Lots of kids stabbing people.
15 yo girl in paper today charged with stabbing a boy.

Jim©

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 10, 2020, 02:02:04 PM
Over the top,but I suppose fear comes into it,the amount of young men carrying knives and stabbings going on,he wasn't to know if one of them was going to get stabbed or if they'd turn on him with a knife.

Sorry, but these people are trained to deal with that kind of thing. Running at full speed and smashing a kid (that isn't even relevant) around the head with a baton is not dealing with it. it's a disgrace and that policeman is much worse than those he's trying to break up. I hope he gets a hefty sentence.

This is completely unlike all of those miner/tottenham riots/wapping examples above. This was an isolated incident, not a line of 300 police with shields and batons drawn v line of 500 angry men.

mrmicawbers

In general the police are not so truncheon Happy as they were when I was a youth 40 plus years ago.Mind you they got more respect than they do now.Maybe that's the reason?

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: fulhamross on February 10, 2020, 11:12:50 AM
trial by social media

Trial by video. You can literally watch it; this isn't equivocal at all.

It's a small scuffle and he's ended it by swinging a baton at head height of a small male - forget the age for now - he's tiny. Complete excessive force and completely against all training. He should be sacked and from there, who knows.

SYP are a horrible bunch. I'm sure we've all been to games up there and you feel the atmosphere they create. From the moment you arrive at the station it is like being greeted by armed forces of an enemy militia, not the local police force who are there to help all enjoy their day.

Logicalman

Quote from: RaySmith on February 10, 2020, 01:45:34 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on February 10, 2020, 11:11:11 AM
Quote from: Statto on February 09, 2020, 09:10:11 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 09, 2020, 08:13:54 PM
Quote from: f321ffc on February 09, 2020, 07:33:36 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 09, 2020, 05:49:07 PM
He's been watching the Spanish and french police and thought he would have some of that. Never thought it would happen in our country, the bare minimum is that he loses his job
"Never thought it would happen in our Country " SYP we're giving it out like that most days during the miners strike.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d2jH53e6_jQ
that was 35 years ago. Anything more relevant

Also involved hundreds of men lobbing missiles at a smaller group of police, around the same time a copper got hacked to death in the riots in Tottenham. Not saying everything that happened at Orgreave and Fortress Wapping was totally kosher but I've got more sympathy for police in that situation than I have for someone hitting a schoolboy from behind to break up a small scuffle outside a chip shop.

There were a lot of coppers, colleagues  of mine, injured during the miners strike, and don't forget the murder of David Wilkie by striking miners (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/01/miners-strike-taxi-driver-killed-1984) to bring perspective into the proceedings.

.. ALL of which has NOTHING to do with this incident at Barnsley. I would imagine the Officer involved is, at best confined to station duties and at worst being considered for suspension pending an inquiry. There's no place for that behaviour, especially as it was a flying-in attack and no apparent weapons being used. The red mist affects everybody now and again I'm afraid.

The police, drafted in from the Met and other forces, were like an occupying army in the mining areas, waving twenty pound notes at  miners on strike over their jobs and livelihoods- and they were proved right to be fearful for these jobs - where are the mines and miners now?

What happened to those communities when the mines  were gone, with little to replace them? -  drug addiction,  crime, homelessness.

Ok, the police were used by Thatcher as her political 'boot boys', to  help implement her policies  by force. These riot police were a lot different from the traditional Bobby, and the forces native to miners' areas, who often had a good relationship to the miners.
These riot police with their helmets and shields and permanently drawn batons, were something we'd never seen before in this country.

Thee were plenty of incidents of violence to unarmed miners, as well as trumped up riot and conspiracy charges of miners, who were sent to prison.

Many police officers at the time were against the way the police were used, and the conduct of the riot police, in  the miners, and later, The Wapping printers' dispute again men, like my own dad, who'd fought for the country in the War (even Harold Macmillan spoke  out about the treatment of these men, decent , hardworking men who'd given  their all for their country) fighting for their livelihoods and being thrown on the scrap heap with little chance of another job.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/dec/15/miners-strike-senior-officer-condemns-police

This is relevant to the Barnsley thread, about allegations of excessive violence by the police - there were plenty of these during both miners' and printers' disputes.

Then we can agree to disagree with a number of the finer points discussed in this sad episode.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: mrmicawbers on February 10, 2020, 03:26:35 PM
In general the police are not so truncheon Happy as they were when I was a youth 40 plus years ago.Mind you they got more respect than they do now.Maybe that's the reason?

You're hitting all the right points with that, though even with that lack of respect, etc. It doesn't mean the standards of the average bobby should wane in the same way. There is little by way of defence to a charge of excessive force, from what the video shows.

It would have been nice if we had the ten seconds before the airborne copper made an appearance, just to provide more clarity as to the overall situation.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

toshes mate

Quote from: RaySmith on February 10, 2020, 01:45:34 PM
The police, drafted in from the Met and other forces, were like an occupying army in the mining areas, waving twenty pound notes at  miners on strike over their jobs and livelihoods- and they were proved right to be fearful for these jobs - where are the mines and miners now?

What happened to those communities when the mines  were gone, with little to replace them? -  drug addiction,  crime, homelessness.

Ok, the police were used by Thatcher as her political 'boot boys', to  help implement her policies  by force. These riot police were a lot different from the traditional Bobby, and the forces native to miners' areas, who often had a good relationship to the miners.
These riot police with their helmets and shields and permanently drawn batons, were something we'd never seen before in this country.

Thee were plenty of incidents of violence to unarmed miners, as well as trumped up riot and conspiracy charges of miners, who were sent to prison.

Many police officers at the time were against the way the police were used, and the conduct of the riot police, in  the miners, and later, The Wapping printers' dispute again men, like my own dad, who'd fought for the country in the War (even Harold Macmillan spoke  out about the treatment of these men, decent , hardworking men who'd given  their all for their country) fighting for their livelihoods and being thrown on the scrap heap with little chance of another job.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/dec/15/miners-strike-senior-officer-condemns-police

This is relevant to the Barnsley thread, about allegations of excessive violence by the police - there were plenty of these during both miners' and printers' disputes.

Have to agree with all this and more besides as in the Stockwell Tube 'killing' for example. 

I have total respect for police officers and specials who do their jobs as intended, but there are individuals who fall far short of the standard required.  Kettling of demonstrators has led to several complaints of needlessly officious decision making and that may have something to do with political correctness as in treat everyone the same at the lowest standard possible rather than treating them to the moral high standard of innocence until proven guilty.  What happened during the mining strike led to a severe decline in standards of tolerance and that will take decades to reestablish.Â