watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: The clip from Barnsley yesterday is horrific

Started by SP, February 09, 2020, 05:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

There's a clip doing the rounds of a SYP officer responding to a post match scuffle by striking the lad on the head with a full blow of his truncheon.  I can't believe that action exists in any training manual. Frightening.

Riversider

Statto

Daily Mail online has it. Apparently there are multiple videos, covering different angles.

If the officer doesn't go to prison for that, there's something wrong with our justice system.

fulhamben

He's been watching the Spanish and french police and thought he would have some of that. Never thought it would happen in our country, the bare minimum is that he loses his job
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Mr K.Dilkington

Genuinely shocking. Not surprised it's South Yorkshire police though. Why investigate/prosecute grooming/rape gangs when you can be bashing in kids heads? :wow: 049:gif
Foolish ham

Holders

It certainly is shocking.

Some years back, a friend/work colleague was kicked in the balls by a copper after a football match and lost a testicle. The copper was suspended on full pay for 18 months while they "investigated" and ultimately cleared and reinstated him without it even going to court. His evidence against my friend was that he threatened the copper "and his dog". CCTV showed that there was no dog and no aggression/force used by my friend. I suspect that the outcome was something to do with the team he supports (we're playing at their place on Wednesday) but he's a decent family man.

Ben mentioned the French police - it's not been shown on TV news in this country so far as I've seen but there have been strikes and mass protests in France the past month or so with even police in riot gear with shields and batons attacking lines of fireman in uniform with helmets etc. One fireman was shot in the head. Emergency service on emergency service.

I have my own views on why news of it has been suppressed over here.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

f321ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on February 09, 2020, 05:49:07 PM
He's been watching the Spanish and french police and thought he would have some of that. Never thought it would happen in our country, the bare minimum is that he loses his job
"Never thought it would happen in our Country " SYP we're giving it out like that most days during the miners strike.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d2jH53e6_jQ
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

RaySmith

And the printers - my dad was one of those summarily made redundant by the enabling of Rupert Murdoch to
do exactly what he liked, no matter what the human cost.

https://youtu.be/VPLQZjSkcZw

fulhamben

Quote from: f321ffc on February 09, 2020, 07:33:36 PM
"Never thought it would happen in our Country " SYP we're giving it out like that most days during the miners strike.
that was 35 years ago. Anything more relevant
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Friendsoffulham

Andy S

I expect the full facts will come out eventually but it doesn't make the police look very good does it

Logicalman

Quote from: Statto on February 09, 2020, 09:10:11 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 09, 2020, 08:13:54 PM

Also involved hundreds of men lobbing missiles at a smaller group of police, around the same time a copper got hacked to death in the riots in Tottenham. Not saying everything that happened at Orgreave and Fortress Wapping was totally kosher but I've got more sympathy for police in that situation than I have for someone hitting a schoolboy from behind to break up a small scuffle outside a chip shop.

There were a lot of coppers, colleagues  of mine, injured during the miners strike, and don't forget the murder of David Wilkie by striking miners (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/01/miners-strike-taxi-driver-killed-1984) to bring perspective into the proceedings.

.. ALL of which has NOTHING to do with this incident at Barnsley. I would imagine the Officer involved is, at best confined to station duties and at worst being considered for suspension pending an inquiry. There's no place for that behaviour, especially as it was a flying-in attack and no apparent weapons being used. The red mist affects everybody now and again I'm afraid.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: fulhamross on February 10, 2020, 11:12:50 AM
trial by social media

Modern Day equivalent of the Witch-Hunter Generals way back when.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Statto

Quote from: Logicalman on February 10, 2020, 11:18:34 AM
trial by social media

Generally I'm against that sort of thing, but not in this case. Is it a matter of opinion whether his actions were dangerous? No. Is there a chance we aren't seeing the full picture and some information we don't yet know will actually justify his actions? No. We have all the relevant facts and it's nothing short of attempted murder. So yes give the bloke the formality of due process but clearly it should result in him going to prison.

KingofCheese

Quote from: Statto on February 10, 2020, 12:16:54 PM
trial by social media

Generally I'm against that sort of thing, but not in this case. Is it a matter of opinion whether his actions were dangerous? No. Is there a chance we aren't seeing the full picture and some information we don't yet know will actually justify his actions? No. We have all the relevant facts and it's nothing short of attempted murder. So yes give the bloke the formality of due process but clearly it should result in him going to prison.

Don't wether it is attempted murder unless you could prove that the police officer wanted to kill someone.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

Statto

Quote from: KingofCheese on February 10, 2020, 12:20:20 PM
trial by social media

Don't wether it is attempted murder unless you could prove that the police officer wanted to kill someone.

Personally I'd say if you hit someone as hard as you can, around the head with a truncheon, from behind when they can't see you coming and with a long run up, you should expect to kill them. But I don't know the intricacies of it so maybe he should just get done for intentional GBH. Maximum sentence for that is life, so that will do.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Statto on February 10, 2020, 12:27:35 PM
Quote from: KingofCheese on February 10, 2020, 12:20:20 PM
trial by social media

Personally I'd say if you hit someone as hard as you can, around the head with a truncheon, from behind when they can't see you coming and with a long run up, you should expect to kill them. But I don't know the intricacies of it so maybe he should just get done for intentional GBH. Maximum sentence for that is life, so that will do.

Agreed entirely.

RaySmith

Quote from: Logicalman on February 10, 2020, 11:11:11 AM
Quote from: Statto on February 09, 2020, 09:10:11 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on February 09, 2020, 08:13:54 PM

Also involved hundreds of men lobbing missiles at a smaller group of police, around the same time a copper got hacked to death in the riots in Tottenham. Not saying everything that happened at Orgreave and Fortress Wapping was totally kosher but I've got more sympathy for police in that situation than I have for someone hitting a schoolboy from behind to break up a small scuffle outside a chip shop.

There were a lot of coppers, colleagues  of mine, injured during the miners strike, and don't forget the murder of David Wilkie by striking miners (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/01/miners-strike-taxi-driver-killed-1984) to bring perspective into the proceedings.

.. ALL of which has NOTHING to do with this incident at Barnsley. I would imagine the Officer involved is, at best confined to station duties and at worst being considered for suspension pending an inquiry. There's no place for that behaviour, especially as it was a flying-in attack and no apparent weapons being used. The red mist affects everybody now and again I'm afraid.

The police, drafted in from the Met and other forces, were like an occupying army in the mining areas, waving twenty pound notes at  miners on strike over their jobs and livelihoods- and they were proved right to be fearful for these jobs - where are the mines and miners now?

What happened to those communities when the mines  were gone, with little to replace them? -  drug addiction,  crime, homelessness.

Ok, the police were used by Thatcher as her political 'boot boys', to  help implement her policies  by force. These riot police were a lot different from the traditional Bobby, and the forces native to miners' areas, who often had a good relationship to the miners.
These riot police with their helmets and shields and permanently drawn batons, were something we'd never seen before in this country.

Thee were plenty of incidents of violence to unarmed miners, as well as trumped up riot and conspiracy charges of miners, who were sent to prison.

Many police officers at the time were against the way the police were used, and the conduct of the riot police, in  the miners, and later, The Wapping printers' dispute again men, like my own dad, who'd fought for the country in the War (even Harold Macmillan spoke  out about the treatment of these men, decent , hardworking men who'd given  their all for their country) fighting for their livelihoods and being thrown on the scrap heap with little chance of another job.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/dec/15/miners-strike-senior-officer-condemns-police

This is relevant to the Barnsley thread, about allegations of excessive violence by the police - there were plenty of these during both miners' and printers' disputes.