News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Would you prefer to beat Brentford in the playoff final or go up automatically?

Started by Southdowns White, February 11, 2020, 09:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southdowns White

Providing we are to go up of course.
Just a little question to mull over on a Tuesday.

Cambridge Pete

Automatic please. I don't think my dicky ticker could take another play off.

Dodgin

A great day out of you win, we go up in top two. Brentford next Boxing Day

Fernhurst

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on February 11, 2020, 09:40:24 AM

Auto for me also, despite the Wembley experience being delicious last time, the stress is too much for The Old Sods Army.
Champions if you please.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Maidstone Lee

Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

bencher

Obviously automatics, play-off winners usually get relegated next season...

Dodger53

Andy S

Who on earth would opt for the play-offs? The chances of winning are only 50/50 it's good for the tv company's not the fans as for Brentford F*** them. For me there are no brownie points beating them

David Allen Crankshaw

The Rational Fan

Automatic Promotion give the players more rest, the coach more time to prepare and the DOF time to get players. 63% of the time the playoff team goes straight back down first season.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on February 11, 2020, 10:04:38 AM

Auto for me also, despite the Wembley experience being delicious last time, the stress is too much for The Old Sods Army.
Champions if you please.

Exactly Fernhurst. That sunny day will live with me forever, how I survived that added time I will never know. Us bricks in that white wall did our bit!   049:gif

092.gif   

Twig

Automatics every time.  Anyway, why would I particularly want to beat Brentford in a play off final? They are a proper local football team, surviving by being well run and with a decent local fan base.  I have every respect for Brentford.

bog

Quote from: Twig on February 11, 2020, 11:03:56 AM
Automatics every time.  Anyway, why would I particularly want to beat Brentford in a play off final? They are a proper local football team, surviving by being well run and with a decent local fan base.  I have every respect for Brentford.

+1 Would love us both to go up. 1+2 (Us 1 of course!)

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 11, 2020, 10:55:27 AM
Automatic Promotion give the players more rest, the coach more time to prepare and the DOF time to get players. 63% of the time the playoff team goes straight back down first season.

Whilst I would prefer the certainty of the playoffs, I resent any suggestion that our terrible mistakes in 2018 were in any way excused by the fact that for a couple of weeks in May, we knew there was a good chance of going up but could not be certain.

Would also be interested to know what percentage of the time the team finishing 2nd went straight bsck down in the period you sampled. In the last 5 seasons it's 60%.

Penfold

When you look at our record v Brentford, you wouldn't want to contemplate playing them in the play offs.

southwest6

Quote from: Andy S on February 11, 2020, 10:41:28 AM
Who on earth would opt for the play-offs? The chances of winning are only 50/50 it's good for the tv company's not the fans as for Brentford F*** them. For me there are no brownie points beating them

I think here we're assuming that we do beat Brentford in the final. In that case, I'd obviously take the Wembley experience and beating Brentford!

grandad

Automatically for me. Gives us more time to formulate our squad. A Playoff delays this by a few weeks & gives other clubs a jump on us.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Woolly Mammoth

Automatic for me please, and let Brentford beat whoever they play and they can have that moment of glory in the Final.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Sgt Fulham

Playoff beating Brentford. Theyve held it over us for far too long so it would be lovely to stick it to them in front of everyone. Beating Villa saz one of the sweetest if most stressful days of my life following Fulham, made all the better by their piping up and media fawning before the final.

Peabody

Quote from: Fernhurst on February 11, 2020, 10:04:38 AM

Champions if you please.

Agree