News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham Football Clubs natural home... which league I mean... ?

Started by FulhamStu, February 11, 2020, 11:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamStu

It's often debated on football forums, that we as a club should be restored to our natural home in the Premier League but is that statement at all true ?

Yes, with Mo's backing we had 13 years as a premier club however since then the money has got bigger, The so called promised land is even more of a money spinner and money loser as players wages and payouts increase beyond sense.

If asked, I would say our natural home would be as we are now, a championship sized club, with support, ground size to match that.  What makes us different apart from being such a wonderful historic club is our fantastic ground and area we play football. Fulham is clearly one of away fans favourites for obvious reasons..the other answer is of course our owners. 

In the Khans we have amounts the wealthiest in world football who can certainly afford a Premier club.  This is also clearly their aim and I am sure it will come soon enough, as money talks and we have the money.  FFP must be a challenge to them but they are not stupid and I am confident in our future.

It's seems to me, really not that long ago, I would have given anything for a place in the championship let alone as one of the very best teams in it. 

So what my point, well just that I am very happy with where we are, where we are heading and our future prospects.  Posting something positive like this is maybe a bit boring but hey, why not eh !

Penfold

Historically about 10th in the second tier is where we tended to be although I've rarely seen that as in my time we've gone through the worst spell in our history followed by the best spell in our history.

Ideally, we need to get back up to the Premier, even if it's just to top up parachute payments for another couple of years.

grandad

A while ago I worked out that from 1896 our average position is between 6th & 8th in the second tier.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Penfold

Quote from: grandad on February 11, 2020, 11:40:40 AM
A while ago I worked out that from 1896 our average position is between 6th & 8th in the second tier.

You are probably right as last time I calculated it was a fair few years back!

I Ronic

Quote from: Penfold on February 11, 2020, 11:35:32 AM
Historically about 10th in the second tier is where we tended to be although I've rarely seen that as in my time we've gone through the worst spell in our history followed by the best spell in our history.

Ideally, we need to get back up to the Premier, even if it's just to top up parachute payments for another couple of years.

Totally agree.

filham

Quote from: Penfold on February 11, 2020, 11:35:32 AM

I am right alongside you, pre Roy we were a 2nd tier club but all those seasons at the top may have changed that, particularly with the younger fans.

KJS

Wolf

Hates: the Hounslow maggots

Statto

Once you strip out the PL TV money and hyper-wealthy owners, there are probably barely 10 clubs whose natural revenue streams (gate receipts, merchandise sales etc) would keep them in the top flight. Certainly Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. Probably West Ham and Everton. Maybe a few others if you're being generous.

I'd have us in the group below that, overlapping the first and second tiers. We've as much right as half the current PL clubs to be at that level, but could just as easily find ourselves in the Championship.   

Nero

Quote from: Wolf on February 11, 2020, 02:04:22 PM
55 of 102 seasons have been spent in the second tier.

equally the premier league has been going for around 27 and we've spent 14 there so over 50%

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jim©

Quote from: Nero on February 11, 2020, 02:22:09 PM
Quote from: Wolf on February 11, 2020, 02:04:22 PM
55 of 102 seasons have been spent in the second tier.

equally the premier league has been going for around 27 and we've spent 14 there so over 50%
But there was football before the premier league and we've not spent over 50% of our history in the "top division".

Whitestone

Setting history aside if we consider the here and now the Premier League is where we should be.

Dr Quinzel

I don't think taking an average over our whole history gives a fair assessment, as at different points we've had differing levels of potential and expectation. That would be the same for any team. Statistically I guess it would make the most sense though.

Personally I see us as a middling to lower top league team with the occasional spell in the Championship. Capable of being the 11th to 30th best club in the country by league position.

Twig

I still see the Prem as a the old first divn dressed up in fancy clothes.  We spend several years in the old first as well as our time in the prem. no we aren't a natural top ten premiership club, but I do see us as just as much a lower half club as many other clubs currently not in the Prem.

Wolf

We're a top 30 team. I wouldn't transpose that to tenth place in the Championship, but a realistic assessment of where we're at and where we've been.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

YankeeJim

If you moved the top five to a super league of Europe, where would we stand? That would open up a few more spots in the Prem which in my short time (15 years) would put us about where we are at the moment. I actually enjoy the Championship more than the Prem because the Prem is in fact two leagues. You have the Manchester teams, the scum, Liverpiddle and Arse. The rest are typically also ran's. It'll always be that way as long as the top tier can stock up every potential player and send them out on loan until they are needed. Look at Hector. Can anyone say that at 27 he wouldn't have had a number of good years in the Prem with a mid or lower tier team?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.