watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Style of play.

Started by bog, February 22, 2020, 08:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Is it me? I thought the first half to be one of slow plodding, mind numbing boredom. Is that style supposed to bring glory? The only time we got at an average Derby side was when we speeded things up and the subs arrived. Just what are they told to do at the start? Kamara showed what was needed.  Dear oh dear. 

092.gif     

ron

It certainly was a plodder bog. Our reasonable approach play more often not degenerates into tippy-tap short passing around their "d", while we try to set up the perfect shot or walk the ball in. This isn't a new thing. Neither is the seemingly standard passing out from the back at pedestrian pace, often across the goal, and near to opposition players who always sense the chance of an interception.
The short passing is skilful but without result, and that's what makes watching it tedious. And it's not good for the fingernails either!

Fulham1959

grandad

Derby are far from an average side on their patch, 2nd best home record in this league. It was a hard fought match by both sides. I didn´t think it was boring.
Where there's a will there's a wife

bog

Quote from: grandad on February 22, 2020, 09:58:33 AM
Derby are far from an average side on their patch, 2nd best home record in this league. It was a hard fought match by both sides. I didn´t think it was boring.

It was our slow style of play in the first half I found boring. 

Whitesideup

Quote from: bog on February 22, 2020, 11:16:06 AM

Although I don't agree entirely, I know what you mean, and while the score was 0-0 we seemed more prepared to be patient with the ball. We certainly played the ball from one defender to another quite a lot. Trouble is when you play with a fairly isolated striker, moving the ball long is effectively just giving them the ball back. We need more urgency and speed playing through the lines ...but that comes with additional risks as well. Would the rewards outweigh the risk? Makes for better viewing perhaps, but if we end up conceding more goals, that would not go down well.

bog

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 22, 2020, 11:22:58 AM
Quote from: bog on February 22, 2020, 11:16:06 AM

Although I don't agree entirely, I know what you mean, and while the score was 0-0 we seemed more prepared to be patient with the ball. We certainly played the ball from one defender to another quite a lot. Trouble is when you play with a fairly isolated striker, moving the ball long is effectively just giving them the ball back. We need more urgency and speed playing through the lines ...but that comes with additional risks as well. Would the rewards outweigh the risk? Makes for better viewing perhaps, but if we end up conceding more goals, that would not go down well.

I thought in the first half we looked as if we did not want to take a risk in the last third. When we speeded it up and got at them 2nd half Tom Cairney immediately came more into the game.