https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (15/11/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 15, 2010, 08:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221349

Fulham - The Away Run Continues!
I`m starting to wonder just how many mirrors somebody within the echelons of our club did actually break.

Our appalling away form, whereby we`ve not won away from home in the Premier League on twenty-five trips, is starting to create waves that are reverberating around those associated with the club.

Indeed, in his post match press conference Mark Hughes spoke about that record but tried to look on the bright side, commenting,

"This run is getting on everyone`s nerves but we`re making inroads into it."

"We didn`t just come here and park the bus. We were always positive and looked to win."

"We were asking questions and on the front foot. We didn`t allow them to dictate the momentum of the game."

"Sometimes you have to dig in and ride out the storm. It`s only a matter of time until we get three points away from home."

Will it come this year though or will we be kept hanging on until 2011?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221349#ixzz15Kz8ROQZ

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/11/14/newcastle-0-0-fulham/?

Newcastle 0-0 Fulham
Filed under: Match reports — rich 
Jamie Doak was good enough to write the following for us.  Great stuff, Jamie, thanks!   Sounds like we did okay.

Point played for, point gained. Sums up the performance really as we reverted back to a more Hodgson-like style.

As expected Newcastle flew out the traps, they're the form side and they played some very nice stuff, but nothing clear cut or nothing that our superb defenders couldn't handle.

Duff, who was getting a noisy reception from the home crowd, seemed solid enough at left back and we started to come into the game after about 15 minutes, a series of corners and not much else really, a frustrating amount of good possession but nowhere to go with it. Oh how we miss Zamora.

Chance of the first half came their way, that man Andy Carroll: a corner, pinball, the ball blocked on the line by Kevin Nolan before Carroll fired again at Schwarzer's chest.  (Just one save of a game full of good goalkeeping – hopefully we can hang onto him this January.)

Second half: Carroll fired a stunning volley from 25 yards which Schwarzer saved well to his left (thoroughly impressed by Carroll but full credit to Hughes and Hangeland for playing him so well.) Newcastle threatened further, Lovenkrands having a smart shot saved by Schwarzer.  We were on the rocks.

Our second half was poor. We have forgotten how to play with AJ up top, it used to be so easy to simply chuck the ball up to Zamora and let him hold the ball but Johnson is a different player and adjustment might be needed; too often we tried to hit long balls out to him, which he wasn't going to win.

Hughes sent for Etuhu, possibly to sure up the midfield and he offered a threat from a corner which fell to Dembele, who smashed a volley off the bar. Unlucky but would have possibly been undeserved.  The game seemed to peter out with Carroll having another shot blocked by the immoveable Hangeland.

I'm not really sure it was a great game but it did show that we haven't lost all of our defensive steel and that AJ is ready for 90 minutes. On a side note I met Alister Macintosh on the journey home (oddly he was on the train not sure about the players) not surprisingly he was very coy on January transfers but he did say that he and Hughes were very much excited about having the chance to show City how they are doing now! Roll on next Sunday.

WhiteJC

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/cottagers-hold-toon-in-stalemate-match-review?

Cottagers hold Toon in stalemate: Match Review

Newcastle striker Andy Carroll was denied an eighth goal of the season by a stunning save from Mark Schwarzer as Fulham fought their way to a 0-0 draw at St James' Park.

A crowd of 44,686 thought the 21-year-old, who could win a first senior England call-up, had opened the scoring with a stinging 52nd-minute volley, only for the Australian goalkeeper to claw it out of the bottom corner.

Schwarzer also made two good saves from Peter Lovenkrands to preserve his clean sheet on another frustrating afternoon for Chris Hughton's men on their own park.

It could have been worse for the Magpies, who saw Moussa Dembele's 70th-minute volley come back off the crossbar after Tim Krul had kept out three efforts from Clint Dempsey and another from Zoltan Gera.

But they at least claimed another point to add to their survival fund with the total now standing at 18.

St James' Park was something of a fortress for the Magpies last season when they went through the entire campaign without a single defeat on home turf.

This time around, however, their fortunes have been mixed to say the least with thumping victories over Aston Villa and Sunderland having gone hand in hand with depressing defeats at the hands of Blackpool, Stoke and Blackburn.

What the home fans were hoping for was the kind of rousing start their side got off to against Villa and the Black Cats; what they got instead was a nervy opening 45 minutes during which they saw plenty of effort but too little craft.

Man of the moment Carroll was handled well by Brede Hangeland, while the Fulham defence as a unit proved equally resilient.

After a slow start the visitors worked their way into the game as their passing and movement stretched their hosts and it was they who mustered the first serious attempts on goal in a flurry of activity.

First Krul had to come from his line to block Dempsey's close-range effort after Hangeland had flicked on a 28th-minute Simon Davies corner, and he then had to dive full length to turn away Gera's left-foot drive from 20 yards.

He was at full stretch once again on the half-hour to turn away Dempsey's curling shot with Fulham starting to dominate.

However, Newcastle finished the half strongly and might have taken the lead themselves eight minutes before the break.

Danny Guthrie, deputising for the suspended Joey Barton, delivered a corner perfectly into Carroll's run and the striker's volley was unwittingly blocked by team-mate Kevin Nolan on the line.

The rebound dropped to Lovenkrands and he smashed it towards goal only for Schwarzer to save instinctively.

But as the half-time whistle sounded, the anxiety in the stands had decreased little.

The home side needed only two minutes of the second half to call Schwarzer into action once again when Guthrie slid the ball into Lovenkrands' path and his shot was parried by the Australian with Hangeland clearing the loose ball.

Schwarzer was extended even further five minutes later when Carroll ran on to a clearance 22 yards out and blasted in a stinging volley which was heading into the bottom corner before the goalkeeper got down to turn it away.

But Krul had to match his opposite number's feat four minutes later when Dempsey ran on to Dembele's lay-off and fired firmly towards the bottom corner.

However, Newcastle went close once again with 66 minutes gone when Jonas Gutierrez and Guthrie broke at pace for the latter to cross for Lovenkrands, whose firm header was saved by Schwarzer.

Mike Williamson had to make a timely intervention to deny Cottagers striker Andrew Johnson, making his first league start since January, with 69 minutes gone, and from the resulting corner substitute Dickson Etuhu's header was blocked and Dembele rattled the crossbar with a volley.

Hughton threw on the youthful legs of Nile Ranger and Wayne Routledge with time fast running out, but it was Carroll who went closest as time ran down with Hangeland making a priceless block to keep out his 85th-minute strike.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/11/14/1813127/why-fulham-football-club?

Why Fulham Football Club?

The question I get asked the most is why do I follow Fulham Football Club? I don't take offense to being asked the question. I am very proud to be fan of the Cottagers, so I don't mind at all explaining how I became a fan. 

I started watching the EPL several years ago, but had a hard time identifying with one team. I tried to get into Chelsea and Manchester United but those teams were not for me. I wanted to find a team that I could relate to, and really get behind.

When Clint Dempsey decided to transfer to Fulham from the New England Revolution I thought I would follow his team. He went to Fulham in the January transfer window in the 2006-2007 season. I really didn't get into Fulham until the following season.

I enjoyed the fact that Fulham were thought of as underdogs against the like of Manchester United and Chelsea. In the 2007-2008 season Fulham struggled early and found themselves in a relegation battle.

When I saw Fulham fighting for their survival in the EPL I really got hooked on the club. Each and every week it was a battle to stay up.

I also started to identify more with the players. This wasn't a team made up of superstars. This team was made up of players that got everything out of their ability, and played together as a team. They grinded out victories near the end of that season. Most experts picked them to be relegated.

In fact, I remember Keith Costigan on Fox Soccer Channel stating he really believed Fulham would be relegated. I didn't understand why he thought that, considering there were still several games left in that season when he made his thoughts known about Fulham.

It seemed right after that statement by Costigan, Fulham went on a run that took them to the last game of the season. They needed to win against Portsmouth on the road to stay up. Fulham would get that win, and stay in the EPL.

The ability to work through adversity, and fight to the end really drew me more in as a fan. After that season, I was really a fan of Fulham.   

The next season my fanaticism grew larger as Fulham kept pushing up the table. The 2008-2009 season saw Fulham finish 7th and qualify for the Europa League.

All of this led to the incredible run last season in the Europa League. I saw a club continue to build through hard work and playing together as a team.

I was never the most talented player in any sport I played. I just worked harder than most to become a very good player. I realize now that I have found a club that I could really relate to. I always just wanted to be part of a team. What I see from Fulham back when I first starting watching up to right now is the same type of club.  This isn't a "me" first group of players. The Cottagers are made up of "team" players that just want to win. 

I know now why I could not be a fan of Chelsea or Manchester United. I just didn't relate to those clubs. In Fulham I have found a club that matches my personality.

Another reason why I am a fan of Fulham has to be the fans. I think Fulham fans are the best in football. The fans are extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the club. I am proud to be a part of this great group of followers.

So, I am sure I will be asked again the question why Fulham? I won't have a problem answering that question as I know why I am a fan of the Cottagers.         

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6506930,00.html?

Hughes eyes away day success
Cottagers chief expects result on their travels

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is confident his side will soon end their away day blues after being held at Newcastle.

The stalemate at St James' Park saw Fulhamextend their winless away run to 25 league games.

Hughes admits he is frustrated that Fulham have not been able to turn draws into wins away from Craven Cottage but remains optimistic they will soon resolve their travel sickness.

"We are frustrated by the draws but we view it as progress on the road," said Hughes. We have taken five draws, I think it is, so that's an improvement on recent times.

"It's only a matter of time before we get three points on the road, I can see that in our play."

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/11/all_i_want_for_christmas.php?

All I Want for Christmas...

Is for this absurd inability to find an away win to come to an end pretty damn soon. Any point from away trips is a bonus but no win at Newcastle sees Fulham slip closer to the drop zone.
The 500 mile round trip to the north-east proved hard on the pocket and tough for the paying patrons of both clubs. Newcastle at home remain inconsistent, Fulham still short of that winning formula.

Having been accused of over-reaction and some negativity after the Chelsea defeat let me say straight off at 2.30 I was delighted to see Zollie start and Hughes prepared to change tactics.

Blackburn had come to Tyneside midweek and taken the points with 4-5-1. Posters to this blog suggested Fulham try something similar. With our ageing underperforming midfield it made sense and the first half was a huge step up from the feeble first hour at the Bridge. We saw plenty of the ball, Dembele had his appetite back and we worked their keeper, while keeping dangerman Carroll at arms length. My only reservation, put players in their proper position - Duff at left-back? No thanks, yet another flat performance from the Irish international.

Set plays were better, defensively we were very sound, but once again no cutting edge to finish off the approach play. A big ask of lone wolf AJ up front in his first start for 21 months. Some reports praised his contribution, I have my reservations but will hold off criticism for now.

The pattern of play changed after half time as Newcastle decided to by-pass midfield. Early balls up to Carroll on the edge of the 'D' hoping to win 2nd phase ball saw momentum pass to the Magpies, although it was Dembele who almost broke the deadlock - and the crossbar -with that ferocious volley on 70 mins.

The draw was about right. Though never a result to satisfy managers Hughes was clearly the more delighted. Our problem is, although we have just one defeat from the last 4, two points out of nine across the week leave us hovering only one point above the relegation places. Now we see a Sunderland side with ambition to have a go at the Champions - unlike us - get their reward against struggling Chelsea. A sensational result, and achieved without their star striker Darren Bent.

So with the table tighter than my 2001 replica shirt Fulham now face two massive games with Man City and Birmingham. I have a bad feeling things are going to get worse before they get better. A month ago I wrote with key players coming back from injury and Hughes getting to grips with the squad we would only get stronger. Hmm, no evidence of that so far - and he clearly has an issue with Paintsil.

The cheque book will be out in January and Bobby should be back in light training by then. I'm sure the 2nd half of the season will see us raise our game. And in defence of Hughes, he was given little chance to draft in players back in the summer once appointed.

I would be really interested to know what was in Roy's dossier back in June before falling under Liverpool's spell. After that night in Hamburg - and 60 odd games - he more than anyone must have known the side of last season had reached its zenith and would need freshening up.

Before anyone jumps all over this piece, yes I know two wins will see us soar up the table. Let's hope they're coming up next. Big shout out to all who made the trek to Tyneside and made some noise. Let's get behind the lads whatever the result.

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/11/14/2010-third-of-season-awards-banquet/?

Third of Season Awards Readers Poll Awards Banquet
Filed under: General — timmyg 
Pardon my tardiness in posting this. My alma mater Goucher College had their annual ultimate frisbee tournament so I went and played for the Alumni team. It's crazy to think I graduated only in 2008, yet hardly know a soul there now.

Anyway, the votes have been tallied and the winners are in. Thanks for your participation in this year's poll, I promise next year's will be more illegitimate and corrupt. So bust out your clip-on bowtie and Boone's Farm (or whatever counterpart) and enjoy!

Hi everyone and welcome to the inaugural Third of Season Awards Readers Poll Awards Banquet. I'm sure you've all thought long and hard on who to honor with these meaningless, often sardonic awards. It's your participation that makes Fulham truly the club that it is: a small club in London owned by a semi-maniacal Egyptian that employed not just Lawrie Sanchez but also Les Reed, and whose fans are the politest charitable donors, erm, fans around.

Starting off this year's award ceremony are two of the best awards that you the commenters recommended.

daszimmer:

Julian Gray Award for the player, who disappered like the body of Jimmy Hoffa! – Swedes dominate this award with Stoor as a strong contender and David Elm as an outsider! Halliche might get a nod later in the season as well.

I must admit that I completely forgot about Julian Gray until dasz came up with this epic award. There are players like Jari Litmanen who are infamous for signing, getting injured, and then never playing; and then there are players like Julian Gray.

Mike H:

The Jimmy Who? Award to a high profile player who left and won't be missed – to Paul Konchesky

Good call Mike. I'll preface this with saying that I always liked Paul Konchesky and thought he was a great asset to our club from our lowest of lows (fall-winter 2007) to our highest of highs (Hamburg in May). But considering how our situation at right back has been an absolute mess this season, and we just STARTED DAMIEN DUFF at left back...is anyone really rueing the fact that Paul Konchesky left us? I'm not.

Leading off this year's awards is the Seol Ki-Hyeon Award, formerly The Milk Carton Extraordinaire Award. The award was renamed in our old Korean friend's honor, who would start a game, score a goal, and then vanish and reappear to play in far flung regions like Saudi Arabia for months at a time. Taking approximately 62% of this year's vote is our South African midfielder, Kagisho Dikgacoi! Congrats The Evidence, your 4 minutes of playing time this season put you well on your way past the other candidates of Bjorn Helge Riise, David Elm, and Rafik Halliche. [In case anyone cares about my opinion, I thought David Elm was deserving of this award if only because of the complete depletion of our forwards, yet Elm has just one appearance -- on the bench, on opening day. Plus Elm is at least on the 25-man roster, unlike Pascal Zuberbuhler.]

Next up is the The Brian McBride Award "for the player who best shows guile, heart, endeavor, and all that GI Joey Jazz." Taking a whopping 77% (or 10 of 13) of the vote is Clint Dempsey. Even though he's played all over the park, Clint is our leading scorer, shot-taker, and foul-getter. We've all missed Bobby Zamora, but where oh where would we be without Clint? Also receiving votes were Aaron Hughes, Danny Murphy, and Zoltan Gera.

Let's now take a quick musical break and listen to the sweet rockings of Bob Seger.

Bob Seger - Like a Rock ( Music Video )

I may have eliminated his "Like a Rock Award" but that doesn't mean we can't listen to a song that leaves us horribly depressed about how we're getting older, weaker, and fatter. Oh, and how we drove Chevy trucks because the commercials told us to. Also, because of this video, every time I'm stopped at a railroad crossing I look and hope that on the other side someone is wailing away an amazing solo on their guitar (marks 2:10 briefly and then 4:41 majorly for you lazy ones).

Alright, back to the awards. Named after everyone's favorite voice and character of The Wire, is The Slim Charles Award. Although candidate Simon Davies gave it a good run (taking 36%, or a little less than what elected Abraham Lincoln in 1860), the winner was none other than our (hidden) rock in defense, Aaron Hughes. Hughesie has been an integral part in our defense that has 4 clean sheets this season (at this point last season Fulham had kept just two) and another 4 games where our opponents have scored just a single goal.

This year we have a new award for you all. It's The Wayne Brown Award, given to a player that is allegedly blue-chip material, makes huge strides and garners a cultish fandom while on loan in foreign countries, does really well in the reserves...and then ends up playing for the likes of Bristol Rovers. The award is currently tied between Danny Hoesen and Robert Milsom, and will be given out after one of them leaves in January.

Last but certainly not least, is the Zat Knight Award. Zat Knight infuriated us fans one minute, and delighted us the next for several years. When he left us in August 2007, we were elated to see his backside. But then we begun to quickly miss his height at the center of our defense. This year's award winner is Stephen Kelly, whose taking of 57% of the vote beat out Jonathan Greening, Diomansy Kamara, and even Danny Murphy(?). What to say about Stephen Kelly? Well, I don't know, as I don't see where all the hate comes from. I'd agree that his passing completion rate needs to improve, but so does Chris Baird and John Pantsil (if he ever comes back from the dead). Honestly, he's fine. [My vote was for Eddie Johnson. Seriously, to some, that man can do no right.]

So there you have it ladies and gentleman, the 2010-11 Third of Season Awards. I'm all out of wit, so thanks for reading.

WhiteJC

http://timetosoundoff.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/fulham-a-third-of-season-retrospective/?

Fulham: A Third-of-Season Retrospective
November 15, 2010
In an attempt to make sense of how Fulham are actually performing this season I thought that having a look back at the Fulham performances over the first third of the season, with the benefit of hindsight, might bring some answers.

Bolton 0-0 Fulham:  A good draw against a team that have been doing very well this season under Coyle. Both sides had good chances and a draw was a fair result. Going away to Bolton is always tough so a draw is always a welcome result.

Fulham 2-2 Manchester United:  A game we deserved to win. Two stonewall penalties denied before an unlucky own goal and a harsh penalty nearly put us out the game. Thank god for Brede Hangeland. Great performance all round.

Blackpool 2-2 Fulham: The first glimpse of the defensive frailties of the Mark Hughes system coupled with the first glimpse of Etuhu as a serious attacking threat. Blackpool played without fear at their first home game and could have won it. We were the part-poopers but a draw was a decent result all things concerned.

Fulham 2-1 Wolves: A good result but one that could shape our season for other reasons. The loss of Zamora has had a huge effect on our team. The blossoming partnership of Bobby and Moussa was cut short and we showed character to get the win.

Blackburn 1-1 Fulham: Another draw, but a solid point from a tough away fixture. Decent performance against a physical side although the lack of Zamora was very noticeable in terms of our attacking potency.

Fulham 0-0 Everton: A game we were lucky to draw. Everton had been on a poor run to start the season but thoroughly outplayed us. The first time we were outplayed this season.

West Ham 1-1 Fulham:  This should have been our first away win in however many games. Fulham showed that they are a better side than west ham, but a draw was decent nonetheless.

Fulham 1-2 Tottenham:  The first loss, and an unjust one at that. The descision to award the Tottenham goal when Gallas was clearly offside and interfering with play floored Fulham, and without Zamora there was no way back. We may not have deserved to win but a draw would have been fair.

West Brom 2-1 Fulham:  A deserved win for West Brom who played Fulham off the park. Mitigating circumstances were that Fulham were without almost all of the first choice midfield.

Fulham 2-0 Wigan: A fine performance and should really have been more than 2-0. Wigan gave up with 20 mins to go but Fulham were excellent, controlling the midfield and running the game from start to finish.

Fulham 1-1 Aston Villa: A lucky draw at home courtesy of that man Brede Hangeland. Villa dominated with a young midfield full of energy then defended reseloutely. Hangeland saved us but the lack of pace and invention in midfield was worrying.

Chelsea 1-0 Fulham: A poor match that Fulham deserved to lose, but Chelsea were hardly setting the world alight. Again, the lack of options up front was very obvious.

Newcastle 0-0 Fulham: By all accounts a good result against a team full of confidence after a good start to the season.

A summary:

Wins: Wolves (H), Wigan (H)

Draws: Bolton (A), Man United (H), Blackpool (A), Blackburn (A),Everton (H), Villa (H), Newcastle (A)

Losses: Tottenham (H), West Brom (A), Chelsea (A)

So what conclusions can we draw from this. Well, firstly, it is too early to start panicking. We have beaten two teams we would expect to beat at home and drawn away against some tough opponents. One of our losses was unjust and the others away from home so acceptable. Secondly, our defence seems to be as resolute as ever. We are yet to concede more than 2 goals in a game and we know that teams with good defences are very rarely the ones that get relegated. Thirdly, we desperately miss Zamora. With AJ back, things may change before january but we need at least one good striker in the january window. It is not that our midfielders turned forwards have not tried their best, just that we lack a genuine goal threat up front now that Zamora is not there. With a full compliment of strikers I would guess that we could have turned several of those draws into wins, and would probably have our much sought after first away win of the season.

Things may get worse before they get better, but we can hope for an improvement in the new year with further additions and the return of the mercurial Zamora.  I am fully confident that Hughes can turn Fulham's fortunes around, it may take time and this may not be a vintage season, but I am confident in the ability of Hughes to move us onwards and upwards.

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/15/newcastle-united-fulham-premier-league?

Organised Fulham show Newcastle United the benefit of backroom support
• Hughes and Hangeland excel to deny Newcastle
• Hughton makes renewed call for off-field help

Delegation is supposed to be a big part of the managerial art but Chris Hughton regards it as a longed-for luxury. Newcastle United's manager is working without an assistant and possesses an unusually small backroom staff, thereby dictating that he is rarely able to devolve key tasks. It typically leaves him weighing the desire to indulge in a spot of first-hand scouting against battling a bulging in-tray.

"There's a lot of work," said Hughton, who has missed Colin Calderwood since his sidekick's early‑season departure for Hibernian. "I do take the occasional day off but you can't switch off, you don't have a day off where you do nothing. My chin is very firmly up but a day doing nothing would be nice. We do need to bring in another member of staff."

He must have cast covetous glances at a jam‑packed Fulham dug-out where Mark Hughes was augmented by a highly qualified, well‑remunerated "boot-room." Their job is to maximise players' ability while helping to devise the sort of cleverly calibrated gameplan which largely nullified the Newcastle striker Andy Carroll.

While Fulham accepted Hughes's argument that money invested in quality backroom personnel should spell future transfer‑market savings, Mike Ashley would ideally prefer an internal appointment. Newcastle's owner originally advocated Peter Beardsley's promotion from running the reserves but Hughton remains adamant recruitment must be external.

It does not help that the club are delaying negotiations about extending their manager's contract which expires in May. Or that after being required to pay off Sam Allardyce's overblown, more than 20-strong backroom staff in 2008, Ashley is perhaps understandably cautious about hiring new blood.

"I have a very good staff but it's small," said Hughton, who is being supported by the goalkeeping expert Paul Barron and redeployed reserve coach Steve Stone. "Sam Allardyce had a very big staff with him here [with Blackburn Rovers last Wednesday] and Fulham also have a very big staff. This, though, is what we have. We just hope it's addressed soon. We need to replace Colin."

If only Ashley had overhead Hughes explain why he is confident that Mark Schwarzer, his goalkeeper – who twice repelled dangerous left‑footed Carroll volleys – will shortly sign a new deal. "Mark knows the environment we provide at Fulham is second to none," said Hughes. "He's got a huge support staff behind him. We're as close as we've ever been to establishing he'll stay."

Schwarzer cannot have played behind many better central defensive pairings than Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes, who limited the impact of Carroll. "On numerous occasions Carroll tried to go up against Aaron rather than Brede but Aaron competed really well," said Hughes. "We stood up to the challenge, looked rock solid and were quite comfortable."

Imagine what Newcastle might achieve were Ashley to offer Hughton a little more comfort.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-0-0-Fulham-Daily-Mirror-match-report-Chris-Hughton-insists-his-chin-is-firmly-up-despite-more-dropped-points-at-home-article629103.html

Newcastle 0-0 Fulham: Daily Mirror match report

Chris Hughton chuckled when he was asked how he kept his chin up after another home disappointment.

Was it pep-talks from his bosses Derek Llambias and Mike Ashley? Was it his natural optimism? Or was it the hope that another shock victory away from home would lift the deflated feeling that fans had leaving St James's Park again.

With a wry smile he tried to find some perspective, saying: "Chin up? Before today we were fifth and we are seventh now. There are highs and lows, but we have had more good days than bad days. My chin is very firmly up, thank you."

But the fact the question was asked in the first place shows what a strange season this has been for the Geordies.

Some brilliant away results suggest a push for the top half is possible but a woeful home record that has seen 13 points dropped from home games against Fulham, Blackburn, Stoke, Wigan and Blackpool speaks of a battle for survival.

Will that run get much better with Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City the next visitors?

"It has been an up-and-down week," said Hughton. "We started with a fantastic win at Arsenal, then a very disappointing result in the week and now this – but at least we didn't lose. We have to keep hold of that feeling."

The consistent bright spark on the field is the form of Andy Carroll, who confirmed that he deserves his England call-up.

Hughton moved quickly to bat off wild claims that Carroll, who signed a new deal earlier this season, was "open" to a move to Spurs.

Hughton said: "It is important he has a long contract here. This is a player who is a local lad.

"All he wanted to do was sign a contract here and he is very happy here. You want your best assets, young assets, tied down to the club. He is delighted with that and we are.

"He is very down to earth and he is enjoying his football at Newcastle United. This is the best place for him to be."

Fulham can be relieved they have the consistently excellent Mark Schwarzer in goal and boss Mark Hughes delivered some good news on his contract talks.

Despite interest in the summer from Arsenal, Hughes is confident the Aussie keeper will commit his future to Craven Cottage and play into his 40s.

He said: "We are as close as we ever have been to establishing that he will stay. We are speaking to his representatives and we are fairly confident we can reach an agreement. He's in the last year of his contract and he can look at other options, but we'd like to think we've presented something to him that he'll seriously think about.

"The saves he made here – that's the quality of the keeper we've got and that's why we are working so hard to keep him. If we are going to be successful, we need a quality keeper.

"Mark is a very fit guy. You see him working day in, day out and he has many more years ahead of him. I would imagine he could play into his 40s.

"It's very much up to Mark. He knows what we provide and he knows the environment very well. He's not just got good players on the field of play, but a huge support staff behind him.

"What Mark has got is a real presence. With all the top keepers they have a presence and that permeates towards their team-mates. They take confidence from the presence of a top quality keeper behind them."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-0-0-Fulham-Daily-Mirror-match-report-Chris-Hughton-insists-his-chin-is-firmly-up-despite-more-dropped-points-at-home-article629103.html#ixzz15L2Mk2VN

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6509154,00.html?

Hughes wants Schwarzer stay
Fulham boss feels keeper will sign new deal

Fulham manager Mark Hughes has reiterated his belief that Mark Schwarzer is ready to commit his long-term future to the club.

The Australian keeper was again in excellent form over the weekend as he played a pivotal role in Fulham's goalless draw at Newcastle.
The 38-year-old, who submitted a transfer request over the summer as he saw a move to Arsenal fail to materialise, is out of contract at the end of the season.

Fulham are now looking to finalise a new deal with the former Middlesbrough shot-stopper.

Quality

"The saves he made - that's the quality of the keeper we've got and that's why we're working so hard to keep him here," Hughes said.

"If we're going to be successful, we need a quality keeper and that's certainly what Mark is.

"He knows what we provide and knows the environment very well. He's not just got good players on the field of play, but a huge support staff behind him.

"He knows that the environment which has been created at Fulham is second to none.

"When you get to the latter stage of a career you have to be able to recover well and have all the up-to-date information in terms of recovery.

"What Mark has got is a real presence. With all the top keepers they have a presence and that permeates towards their team-mates."

WhiteJC

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=221440

Murphy's Law brings a sense of Déjà Vu
The Cottagers of Londinium headed north for what was only the third Saturday 3pm home fixture for Newcastle United so far this season. After a frustrating midweek loss at home to the ante-football presented by Blackburn, it was important to get back to winning ways.

Pre match, the bookies seem to have cottoned on to our inability to break down hard working, compact teams, and we were odds against in some places to win. The stats were no clearer. Fulham had won on three of their previous four visits at St. James', but had also failed to win away in the league for 24 matches. You can guess where they last won. They must have been devastated we weren't in the Premiership last season.

Hughton was forced into two changes, with Lovenkrands replacing Ameobi, who was busy in the Algarve looking at specialist retirement homes for those with premature hip problems. Barton's rumble in the jungle with that lemon haired ponce, Pedersen, meant that the FA dusted down their rule book and thanks to the use of TV technology, promptly threw it at him. Guthrie came in to play that right sided, central midfield combo role Barton has carried off so well recently.

Fulham included former Magpies Aaron Hughes and Damien Duff who returned to St. James' with differing results. Duff, roundly booed every time he touched the ball put in an ineffective, lacklustre performance we'd come to expect whilst wearing the black and white.

However, we knew what to expect, as Fulham are a hard working, well organised outfit. Whilst they don't seem to win away, they don't often lose. Two losses in 6 away games, the latest one restricting free scoring Chelsea to a narrow 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge.

So then, our nemesis yet again came to town. A club likely to finish out of the top eight, with a collective work ethic. Discounting Sunderland, as they didn't even work, all we've had to show against four of these teams at home is one 94th minute equaliser.

Could we break them down and repeat some of the form that has seen us demolish Villa 6-0 and Sunderland 5-1, or would it be a repeat of the Blackpool, Wigan, Stoke etc. debacles?

Newcastle started off the better, without really threatening to dominate their opponents, but after 10 minutes or so, Fulham started coming back into it, and started to create.

In a pretty dull first half Fulham had probably the first decent chance, with the giant Hangeland making a knock down, falling to the clever Dempsey, who tried to flick it round Krul, who had came rushing out, resulting in a brave save by the Dutchman

A breakaway by Lovenkrands who was surrounded by four men, saw him push the ball out to Jonas on the left. He tried to make a first time cross, but hit it straight into the defender, with the follow up being err.. hit straight into the defender, for a corner.

Dempsey troubled Krul with a curling shot which was palmed away by the keeper.

Before half time, from a Newcastle corner taken by Guthrie, a decent volley from Carroll hit Nolan three yards out, and a point blank save by Schwarzer from a quick Lovenkrands follow up gave you that feeling it wasn't going to be our day. A follow up shot from outside the box by Gutierrez was disappointingly dragged left of goal without troubling Schwarzer. That seems to sum up Gutierrez these days. Plenty of running, dribbling and getting into positions, but ultimately, no end product.

In the second half, a teasing cross from the centre of the pitch by Guthrie was headed out, which fell to Carroll, who unleashed a cracking 25 yard volley. Schwarzer made a superb save low down to his left.

Gutierrez brilliantly beat two men in his own half, then drifting into the centre, surrounded by defenders, he released the ball out to Guthrie on right who put in a great cross onto Lovenkrands head, but he was too far out to make it anything more than a routine save. We can only wish it was Carroll had been on the end of it.

A lovely ball over the defence by the excellent Danny Murphy, to Andy Johnson, saw Williamson either switch off for a second or misjudge the flight of the ball. Johnson broke away on goal, but as good as the ball was to him, it was bettered by what is now becoming Williamson's forte, a superbly timed redeeming tackle, before Johnson could manage a shot.

With Murphy continuously pulling the strings for the Londoners, Fulham began to look threatening again. A corner by Davies was flicked on by Etuhu, and Dembeli flashed a volley onto the crossbar.

With 15 minutes to go, Hughton made changes, swapping Guthrie & Lovenkrands for Ranger and Routledge. It was hoped an out and out winger on the right would make a difference, with Rangers giving more of a presence than Lovenkrands.

Routledge from the touch line made a bit of space for himself and somehow spooned a cross in, which caused Hangeland to panic and head away from the hands of Schwarzer. Carroll tried a difficult volley which went wide of the post.

For all the endeavour of both teams, a special mention to a referee (Lee Probert) who yet again had played too much of a part in things. Fulham continuously wasted time in the second half, with player after player going down with non existent injuries, which he bought each and every time. A bizarre free kick towards the end, given against Carroll simply for breathing, summed things up. Clueless.

To make matters worse, he had earlier booked Tiote for having the audacity to win the ball in a fair tackle. That was his 5th booking and our midfield enforcer now misses the Bolton away match.

The game petered out to a nil nil draw. Possibly a fair result.. We huffed and we puffed but couldn't blow the cottagers down. They were organised and looked occasionally sharp going forward, troubling Krul occasionally, but never really looking like they'd score. We were fairly similar, but had the clearer chances, with Schwarzer making a couple of class saves.

Still, our problem at home against the lesser sides continues.

Read more: http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/matchrep.asp?a=221440#ixzz15LGuq1ur

WhiteJC

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/8637150.Hughes_frustrated_by_Fulham_away_form/?

Hughes frustrated by Fulham away form

Mark Hughes insists Fulham are tantalisingly close to ending their away-day misery after the Cottagers scrapped to a well-earned point at Newcastle at the weekend.

The Londoners stretched their unenviable record to 25 away games without a win after the St James' Park 0-0 stalemate.

But boss Hughes sees plenty of encouraging signs to take forward.

He said: "The record is there for everybody to see and it is getting on everyone's nerves.

"But we are making inroads and it is only a matter of time as far as I am concerned.

"We are not going to places and parking the bus, we are engaging teams and trying to play.

"But there are times where you have to dig in when the momentum shifts and work hard, and this team does that.

"We are frustrated by the amount of draws we have on the road but we are definitely making progress and that is the most important thing."

The Craven Cottage side were boosted on Saturday as striker Andy Johnson made his first Premier League start in 21 months after suffering a series of injury setbacks.

And the Fulham boss expects the striker to lead a Cottagers goal revival.

Hughes added: "Everyone is absolutely delighted for Andy.

"He has had to work so hard to get back to this level and it is testament to his character.

"He is a real focal point for our attacks and he never gives up on what seems a lost cause.

"He is a real trigger for us and adds a new dimension to our attacking play."

Fulham's next three matches: Nov 21 Manchester City (h), 27 Birmingham City (h), Dec 4 Arsenal (a)

WhiteJC

http://tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-tell-juventus-only-massive-money-will-land-hangeland-1250911?

Fulham tell Juventus only massive money will land Hangeland

Fulham have slapped a £10 million price-tag on defender Brede Hangeland.

The People says the Cottagers will slap a £10million price tag on Hangeland, 29, in a bid to scare off Juventus as the Italians prepare for a January swoop.

Juve believe they can land him for about £6million but will get no joy from the Cottagers, who do not want to lose the defender.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329820/Mark-Hughes-hopeful-keeping-Arsenal-target-Mark-Schwarzer-Fulham.html?

Mark Hughes hopeful of keeping Arsenal target Mark Schwarzer at Fulham

Mark Hughes insists goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is close to sorting out his future at Fulham.

Arsenal wanted to sign the Australia international in the summer and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is expected to try again in January as the 37-year-old is out of contract next summer.

Schwarzer was in fine form in the goalless draw with Newcastle at the weekend and Craven Cottage boss Hughes said: 'The saves he made (at St James' Park) - that's the quality of the keeper we've got and that's why we're working so hard to keep him here.

'If we're going to be successful, we need a quality keeper and that's certainly what Mark is.

'He knows what we provide and knows the environment very well. He's not just got good players on the field of play, but a huge support staff behind him. He knows that the environment which has been created at Fulham is second to none.

'When you get to the latter stage of a career you have to be able to recover well and have all the up-to-date information in terms of recovery.

'What Mark has got is a real presence. With all the top keepers they have a presence and that permeates towards their team-mates.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329820/Mark-Hughes-hopeful-keeping-Arsenal-target-Mark-Schwarzer-Fulham.html#ixzz15LxrwtRM

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/KellyNewcastleReaction.aspx?

Winning Direction

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly believes the Whites are close to their first away win of the season having secured an important point at Newcastle's St James' Park on Saturday.

Mark Hughes' side defended resolutely, went forward intelligently on the break and were denied by an impressive individual display from home 'keeper Tim Krul.

"We had chances to win, and I do think we are getting closer – I don't think it's too far away," Kelly told fulhamfc.com. "We're certainly not negative in our approach away from the Cottage, we are creating opportunities and taking the game to teams.

"Mousa struck the bar, while Zolly and Clint both forced decent saves from their goalkeeper. Dickson also went close with a header, while Brede also got on the end of a few set-pieces. We're certainly not sitting back and inviting teams to make the move.

"I think it was a very well organised performance from us and we never really let them play. They did have chances of their own, but that is to be expected when you play away from home."

Going into the game, Newcastle had scored the second most amount of goals at home with 15. They also boast the consistent and unpredictable goal threat of Andy Carroll – arguably England's in-form striker.

"We pressed them when they had possession and as a result we moved them into playing a lot of long balls," said Kelly. "Although they had Carroll up top, someone who is very useful in the air, both Aaron and Brede coped comfortably.

"Obviously Brede is the bigger of our two central defenders, but even when Carroll was up against Aaron he more often than not lost the battle. There were quite a few balls knocked into the box, but we won the majority of headers in that area. We nullified that threat and showed that we are a difficult unit to break down or through.

"It is always good to keep a clean sheet and as we have seen this season, Newcastle have a good goal scoring record at St James' Park. They have a lot of players that can often make a difference in the final third, so to keep them out is obviously very pleasing.

"But the defending starts at the front, and we saw the return of Andrew Johnson, who is someone that chases every ball. The midfield worked tirelessly too, and gave us the protection we needed. Mark made some terrific saves too. But all around, we looked very solid."

Fulham have lost just two of their seven away league fixtures this term, with the draw at Newcastle their fifth on the road.

"Of course, it would be nice to turn a few of those draws into wins," added Kelly. "On another day we could well have stolen the points against Newcastle. Three points would have been great, but we have to be happy with the point that we did take.

"As always, we were extremely competitive and positive in the way that we approached the game. If we keep on like that, the signs suggest that it will only be a matter of time."

The Whites host Manchester City on Sunday for the first of two home games in seven days, with one of Kelly's former clubs Birmingham City also making the trip to SW6.

"It's a good chance to pick up more points and get ourselves back in the top half of the table," said Kelly. "Manchester City are a good side, and it will be a test for us because they have some fantastic players. But at Craven Cottage we are capable of beating teams of any calibre.

"We'll take the positives from the game at Newcastle, get our heads down and work hard in training. As always we will be prepared, and we will go out Sunday and show what we can do. Hopefully, it will be a case of all guns blazing for us."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/KellyNewcastleReaction.aspx?#ixzz15LyHfe2d

White Noise

Win tickets for Arsenal v Fulham at the Emirates - courtesy of Centrepoint

Last updated at 1:34 PM on 15th November 2010

Sportsmail has teamed up with Centrepoint, Arsenal Football Club's Charity of the Season for 2010/11, to give you the opportunity to a pair of tickets to Arsenal's Premier League clash with Fulham at the Emirates Stadium on December 4 2010.

Centrepoint is London's biggest youth homeless charity and through the 'Be A Gooner. Be A Giver' campaign, Arsenal aim to raise £500,000 to create a state-of-the-art service in a refurbished building in Soho.

The centre will help homeless young people across London to develop essential life skills to get back on their feet and stay off the streets permanently.

To be in with a chance of winning the tickets, please answer the following question:
Who is the Arsenal first-team captain?1 Cesc Fabregas

2 Theo Walcott

3 Jack Wilshere

E-mail your answer, along with your name, address and contact number to:
[email protected] arrive no later than Midday Wednesday December 1 2010.
PLEASE NOTE: You must validate your entry with the words GOONER CHARITY in the subject box; the prize is for match tickets only and does not include travel, accommodation or hospitality; the tickets are for home fans only; normal Associated Newspapers terms and conditions apply - the Editor's decision is final.

To find out more about Arsenal's Charity of the Season and see how you can donate, visit www.beagoonerbeagiver.org

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329858/Win-tickets-Arsenal-v-Fulham-Emirates--courtesy-Centrepoint.html#ixzz15MVTWGL1