watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan too sloppy at FB

Started by howitis, February 26, 2020, 08:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

Have never been convinced by Bryan. In his defence I guessed he joined us on our return to the Prem and our defence was woeful. I did however expect him to show his class this season and have been left disappointed. I'm not sure if it's an attitude problem or simply poor decision making but his defensive frailties have been exposed. Giving away penalties and free kicks in dangerous areas and losing his man etc.
He does however have a sweet left foot, likes to surge forward and has had a number of assists. Time to switch him further up the field.

Odoi can do a job at left back, can Sessegnon slip back into RB at this point of the season ?

Alternatively possibly playing a 3-4-2-1 with odoi, hector and ream as the 3, playing Cairney centrally just in front of McDonald.

Perhaps the following :-

Rodak
Odoi
Hector
Ream
Bryan
Sessegnon
Cairney
Arter/McDonald/johnassen (take your pick)
Carveiro
D.Reid
Mitro

Bench
Knock
Kebano (deserves his chance)
Kamara
Arter
Johansen
Christie

howitis

3421 is also a formation that Serbia have successfully employed to Mitro benefit ...

The Rational Fan

Quote from: howitis on February 26, 2020, 08:29:56 AM
3421 is also a formation that Serbia have successfully employed to Mitro benefit ...

Who are our RWB and backup WBs in such a formation?

elgreenio

he certainly feels like more of a wing back, Bristol City fans would confirm that he was better on the wing than at full back under them.

What isn't really up for debate for me is that he needs to be in the side, regardless of formation.

He's our leading assister and the Bryan (assist) to Mitrovic (goal) is the leading pair in the league this year (6 goals from it).

touch my camera through the fence

grandad

Feel sorry for him having to be a FB & WB at the same time. When he raids upfield someone needs to cover him at LB. He has had 7assists so is a vital element to our game.
Where there's a will there's a wife

filham

Too late for further experimentation, surely by now Parker must have decided that Bryan is his best option at left back and that his first choice back four is Odoi, Hector, Ream Bryan. The defence seems to have tightened up lets, have no more unforced changes for the next twelve matches.

Jims Dentist

Yes, great for assists, but sometimes does it at both ends.

Bassey the warrior

He's definitevely more of a wing back. Much better in attack than defence.

grandad

Quote from: Jims Dentist on February 26, 2020, 05:59:20 PM
Yes, great for assists, but sometimes does it at both ends.

A lot more for us than against. Which other defenders have not cost us? Maybe only Hector.

Deeping_white

I assume you'll admit that tonight he probably helped get the win at the end with that challenge and was hugely important in us playing well?

Twig

He played really well this evening.

RaySmith

Quote from: Deeping_white on February 26, 2020, 10:22:52 PM
I assume you'll admit that tonight he probably helped get the win at the end with that challenge and was hugely important in us playing well?

Agree - i thought he worked really hard and effectively, both as a winger, and defending.

He really put in a shift.

davew

Bryan should be a definite starter in our team any week, no brainer to leave him out!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

kiwian

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

love4ffc

"Full backs can, and often will, move forward to provide assistance in the attack but their primary role is to defend the flanks. A wing back sits slightly ahead of the defence, on the same line as a central defensive midfielder. Whereas a full bacjk is more defensive, a wing back has a balanced role."

Bryan is definitely a wing back and not a fullback.   He is also being played as a wing back by Scott and in that role I think he is doing a pretty good job.   

The 4-2-3-1 formation not only suits Mitro as he gets the support he needs, but also suits Bryan in there is a holding midfielder there to help when Bryan is caught out.   

Tom did well against the Swans sitting back as he could help cover for Bryan while going forward.   The problem though is that Harry should have also been doing the same but instead was all over the place.   I wouldn't mind seeing Scott sticking with the 4-2-3-1 formation for the reasons I have listed above.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

S.F.Sorrow

The biggest problem with Bryan (or at least how we currently use him) is Ream's lack of pace IMO.

grandad

Bryan & Ream were superb. Can they repeat these performances every game now?

bog

Bryan's tackle right near the end v Swansea I put alongside K Mac's very late block at Derby as season defining interventions. Those points earned at this stage of the season when the real sides get going will make so much difference.   

092.gif

Andy S

When you read articles from many years ago full backs talk about playing against wingers who they hated playing against. It's not always the person you are marking but the quality of that person that dictates

Luka

This'll suprise a few but Id make him captain.
He is vocal, energetic, puts his foot in and likes a bit of needle.
When this team needs a rocket up its backside he would give it.
Could prove to be a proper leader !!