watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

England 9-3 Scotland 1961

Started by WhiteJC, February 28, 2020, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

a certain Johnny Haynes as Captain of England...

jarv

oh no!!! please don't remind me. I was there and still have the program. (I have every wembley program for Scotland visits from 1967 til the last one in 1983 ).

I believe Frank Haffey in goal, never played professional football again after that. It was also reported after a few goals, Dave McKay yelled to Haffey..."Hey Frank, you are allowed to use your f******* hands."

bobbo

I was there , £52/6 my ticket was , but it was a gift from my teacher along with another lad.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

WhiteJC

wasn't there a saying after this match...
"what's the time?"
"nine past haffey"

Abbotsbury White

Great to see JH doing his stuff and how good was Greaves.. and Bobby Robson scoring,best bit was the old Scottish fan who looked like he had a few going flying when they scored their 2nd and the guys behind trying to grab his legs  :005: :005:
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

Fulham1959

Quote from: bobbo on February 28, 2020, 02:56:38 PM
I was there , £52/6 my ticket was , but it was a gift from my teacher along with another lad.

I think you mean 52s 6d or 52/6d.  Seems pretty expensive for the time, being £2.62 in new money.

bobbo

Quote from: Fulham1959 on February 28, 2020, 05:49:02 PM
Quote from: bobbo on February 28, 2020, 02:56:38 PM

I think you mean 52s 6d or 52/6d.  Seems pretty expensive for the time, being £2.62 in new money.
yes 1959 you're right but it was also written as put it , agree yours is more presice.
But we were almost on the half way line half way up .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Woolly Mammoth

I will Never forget it, we crushed the Scots to pulp, reminded me of the Battle of Culloden on 16th April 1746, on that occasion it was an away win.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Great posting and to see the Maestro in some of his rich glory. The inside forward trio of Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Smith and Johnny Haynes caused havoc and that side scored a phenominal amount of goals in a run of internationals . Haffey left the country soon after....I think there was whip round for his fair....

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 28, 2020, 11:00:18 PM
I will Never forget it, we crushed the Scots to pulp, reminded me of the Battle of Culloden on 16th April 1746, on that occasion it was an away win.

I remember you selling the programmes for that day in 1746,you were standing at top of the hill,and you short changed me of a farthing.😆

jarv

I was a bit torn. A true Scot but since my move to London, J Haynes and Fulham embedded in me, I wanted Scotland to win and JH to put on a how. Well, one of my hopes was delivered. 049:gif

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 29, 2020, 10:21:41 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 28, 2020, 11:00:18 PM

I remember you selling the programmes for that day in 1746,you were standing at top of the hill,and you short changed me of a farthing.😆

I do apologise it was not intended but I had no loose change, and many supporters that day were trading a program for a sheep and a goat.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

sunburywhite

Quote from: jarv on February 28, 2020, 02:50:18 PM
oh no!!! please don't remind me. I was there and still have the program. (I have every wembley program for Scotland visits from 1967 til the last one in 1983 ).

I believe Frank Haffey in goal, never played professional football again after that. It was also reported after a few goals, Dave McKay yelled to Haffey..."Hey Frank, you are allowed to use your f******* hands."

Remembered as one of Celtic's great and more eccentric keepers, Haffey made 201 appearances for the club in major competitions. He had 61 clean-sheets and was first-choice goalkeeper for five seasons but did not win any trophies apart from one minor Glasgow Cup in 1961–62, finishing on the losing side in the Scottish Cup finals of 1961 and 1963, both of which went to a replay.

After breaking an ankle in the Glasgow Cup against Partick Thistle in November 1963, effectively ending his Celtic career, he left the following October to play for Swindon Town. Soon thereafter, Haffey moved to Australia, where after a five-year spell as a footballer there he found his way into the entertainment business as a cabaret singer, and later operated a goalkeeping centre on the Gold Coast, Queensland.

International
Haffey won two caps for Scotland. He is often associated with a 9–3 loss to England at Wembley in 1961 – It would be his final match for his country – although on his debut against the same opposition a year earlier he had saved a penalty from Bobby Charlton in a 1–1 draw.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me