watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sturridge - worth a gamble ?

Started by howitis, March 02, 2020, 11:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

He's banned until June so it's a moot point.

Jurassic Parker

What a thread title about a man who has just been banned for gambling.

The Enclosurite

Quote from: Jurassic Parker on March 02, 2020, 05:17:59 PM

Was just about to comment same thing  064.gif
¡COYW!

Milo

Thread title of the year! Love it!

Southcoastffc

Quote from: howitis on March 02, 2020, 01:18:51 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on March 02, 2020, 12:59:20 PM
Quote from: howitis on March 02, 2020, 11:45:34 AM
I see Daniel Sturridge has had his contract in Turkey cancelled by mutual consent. Would need to know the reason behind this before considering a contract until the end of the season but he has proven quality and we are a tad goal shy at present.
If the departure from Tranzonspor is poor attitude/fitness concerns then its a def no but if its homesickness or his forthcoming court case (recently documneted) then he may well be worth a gamble.

Given his history seems unlikely to be a harmonious team player.   And your "he may well be worth a gamble." is a another reason for not going anywhere near him.  :022:

Nothing is guaranteed - some of the best transfers in football have been "gambles" ...
I was obviously being too subtle! 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Bassey the warrior

Well spotted :005:.

Jurassic Parker

In case anyone is curious, Sturridge before his transfer to Turkey had told a family member that he might be on his way to Inter Milan, or at least he was quite sure of it at that point. This information made its way to someone who put a bet down on this happening, when the transfer did not go through they made a complaint.

Sturridge has put a video onto youtube explaining that due to his ban he thought it unfair to keep taken wages off Trabzonspor and they both agreed to end his contract. He also said he will be fighting and campaigning for footballers to have more freedom in the future and that gambling associations should be able to dictate whether or not he can talk to family about his work.

It's certainly interesting. Remember that Sutton played Arsenal in the cup and they had that fat keeper? The bookies put up odds on him eating a pasty during the game and it gained viral attention. He ate a pasty during the game and since then lost his place at Sutton and got a big fine, they said he was influencing the bet as he had knowledge of it. But if he had knowledge of it then wouldn't actively not eating the sandwhich be bet influencing, only by non-action? Also isn't it incredible that because bookies chose to make that joke bet he was essentially forced into a period of life where he was not allowed to eat?

This post has lasted a bit longer than I intended! But Sturridge's case brings up a lot of questions, and apparently it is quite an unspoken thing the issues footballers have surrounding privacy and secrecy due to gambling. I don't think anyone would be upset except the bookies if we reduced their power in sports somewhat.

MikeW

Banned now so academic but trouble seems to follow him around.  Sunday papers reporting he has Court issues with a landlord, rent arrears etc.
Best don't touch.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Logicalman

Quote from: MikeW on March 02, 2020, 09:47:16 PM
Banned now so academic but trouble seems to follow him around.  Sunday papers reporting he has Court issues with a landlord, rent arrears etc.
Best don't touch.

Seems he does have a penchant for such things: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11067736/daniel-sturridge-sue-ex-landlord-racism-n-word/
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

fulhamfan

David Allen Crankshaw