Leeds/WBA Today

Started by Mince n Tatties, March 07, 2020, 02:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 07, 2020, 04:42:52 PM
Brentford 5 up,could have been double that.😅

My worry is we get them in the play offs at some point and they are on form

Sting of the North

It is strange to me that people keep repeating that everything is done and dusted when it very clearly is not true. Some have repeated this since way before midseason (not saying that it is the same people as now, cause I'm not keeping a record).  We play both Leeds and WBA, and hopefully the players as opposed to some fans have not given up beforehand. It will take a very good run, but much stranger things happen in football all the time.

SP

I've no idea why, but I'm strangely confident we'll do we'll in all our remaining away games. I'm not so sure about the home fixtures though when teams park the bus.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 07, 2020, 04:54:55 PM
It is strange to me that people keep repeating that everything is done and dusted when it very clearly is not true. Some have repeated this since way before midseason (not saying that it is the same people as now, cause I'm not keeping a record).  We play both Leeds and WBA, and hopefully the players as opposed to some fans have not given up beforehand. It will take a very good run, but much stranger things happen in football all the time.

Agree.
They could both lose their next 3 games,you never know in this division... WBA only 1 point from last 2 games..

AnOldBrownie

WB drew...and Leeds head to head doesn't scare me at all.

Let them doubt if it makes the journey easier.

9 games.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

keithh

I try not to get frustrated but admit that I cursed when we had a free kick (in the last 10 mins I think) and we just pussyfooted around.

grandad

Quote from: Nero on March 07, 2020, 04:53:13 PM

It is their 1st 3 points in a month.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Sgt Fulham

I'd love to beat Brentford on Friday. Not just for the 3 points but just the psychological side of it. Theyve held it over us for far too long.

FFC1987

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 07, 2020, 04:59:18 PM

Agree.
They could both lose their next 3 games,you never know in this division... WBA only 1 point from last 2 games..

As I said before, I'd wager we don't finish top 2. We need to go places harder than we've been previously and need 3 points and people here think draws at Bristol and Millwall are good points. Including our manager, Mr Parker who, in my opinion, set up for draws including against Charlton. So yeh, I'm way more confident it's playoffs for than us than the dying optimist in me who wants automatic.

Without sitting on the fence saying stranger things, can you honestly say you're confident we'll finish top 2 and that statistically all things considered, the playoffs are more likely? Absolutely fair enough if you can, but I don't see it.

Nero

Quote from: grandad on March 07, 2020, 05:00:31 PM
Quote from: Nero on March 07, 2020, 04:53:13 PM

It is their 1st 3 points in a month.

Yes but they have the ability to put 3 goals plus past teams on a regular basis, we dont seem to be able to

Nero

Quote from: FFC1987 on March 07, 2020, 05:32:24 PM

Agree.

As I said before, I'd wager we don't finish top 2. We need to go places harder than we've been previously and need 3 points and people here think draws at Bristol and Millwall are good points. Including our manager, Mr Parker who, in my opinion, set up for draws including against Charlton. So yeh, I'm way more confident it's playoffs for than us than the dying optimist in me who wants automatic.

Without sitting on the fence saying stranger things, can you honestly say you're confident we'll finish top 2 and that statistically all things considered, the playoffs are more likely? Absolutely fair enough if you can, but I don't see it.

Yes, Parker seems to play for not losing rather than winning

Sting of the North

There is a huge distance between being "confident we'll finish top two" and believing it is all done and dusted already. If one don't believe the latter doesn't automatically mean they believe the former. Personally I find it perfectly reasonable to not hold to either one of these two views.

Also don't see at all how our tactics, formation and approach today was done in order not to lose. In my opinion it was crystal clear that we went for the win, and that the players tried until the end.

FFC1987

Quote from: Nero on March 07, 2020, 06:01:58 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on March 07, 2020, 05:32:24 PM

Agree.

Yes, Parker seems to play for not losing rather than winning

Ok, I really didn't think this would need to be said but.....it's not impossible or completely done and dusted, but I have way more confidence saying we'll finish playoffs than automatic. But it isn't mathematically impossible. The argument has never been 'it's done and dusted' like there isn't a chance but me and others are confidently predicting we've squandered our chances and we'll finish playoffs. Happily be wrong and pleasantly surprised but all things considered, the odds are stacked against us.

As I said, fence sitting is an easy game, but we have absolutely sat on draws away from home and not really gone for it so to speak but as I never mentioned Bristol as a case for this, I agree with you, albeit, never said it so its irrelevant.

RAF_Fulham

I've said in other threads, the key to us getting automatic is making sure we take points off Brentford, WBA, Leeds & Forest and draw a couple of other games and maybe lose one. As far as I am concerned this is one of a couple of draws we can get away with.

In terms of the game itself; we are so so slow at getting the ball up the pitch, then when we do get it up the pitch we just constantly want it out wide ready to cross into Mitro. The problem is, by the time we've generated the space for a cross he is outnumber 4 or 5 to 1 in the box. Only when we got to the last 20mins and being 1 down do we suddenly look like doing things a little differently or with any urgency. We need another dimension, because it is not hard for teams to combat us at the moment. Mitro might be good, but if he is outnumbered and the delivery is poor, then the % chances of us actually getting a goal are going to be so much lower. Very frustrating to watch, especially when you can just see every phase of play being the same.

Luka

Quote from: RAF_Fulham on March 07, 2020, 08:50:50 PM
I've said in other threads, the key to us getting automatic is making sure we take points off Brentford, WBA, Leeds & Forest and draw a couple of other games and maybe lose one. As far as I am concerned this is one of a couple of draws we can get away with.

In terms of the game itself; we are so so slow at getting the ball up the pitch, then when we do get it up the pitch we just constantly want it out wide ready to cross into Mitro. The problem is, by the time we've generated the space for a cross he is outnumber 4 or 5 to 1 in the box. Only when we got to the last 20mins and being 1 down do we suddenly look like doing things a little differently or with any urgency. We need another dimension, because it is not hard for teams to combat us at the moment. Mitro might be good, but if he is outnumbered and the delivery is poor, then the % chances of us actually getting a goal are going to be so much lower. Very frustrating to watch, especially when you can just see every phase of play being the same.

Managerial issue ?

Sting of the North

You were correct the first time in that you obviously didn't have to say it, we all know that it is not mathematically impossible, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you stated otherwise. Sorry if it came across that way.

My point was that there is an area between believing that the fight is over and being convinced that we will make top two. Can't one just be content with the fact  that there is still a lot to play for? Is there a need to sit in an either/or camp (I mean, I am happy for others to do it, but it's not for me)? Fence sitting implies that there are only two sides, but regardless I disagree that it is easy. It seem very tempting for a lot of people all the time to pick sides although there is rarely a need to actually do it.

Personally I am very disappointed, but there is plenty of time for more twists and turns. Do I believe we will make top two? No, not really. Do I think that we have no chance (don't mean literally)? No, of course we have a chance. We just need to beat Leeds or WBA and then gain a few more points than the team we beat over the other eight games. Things like that happens most seasons in many leagues. Wouldn't put money on us finishing top two, but I am not a betting man.

FFC1987

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 07, 2020, 09:05:20 PM
You were correct the first time in that you obviously didn't have to say it, we all know that it is not mathematically impossible, and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you stated otherwise. Sorry if it came across that way.

My point was that there is an area between believing that the fight is over and being convinced that we will make top two. Can't one just be content with the fact  that there is still a lot to play for? Is there a need to sit in an either/or camp (I mean, I am happy for others to do it, but it's not for me)? Fence sitting implies that there are only two sides, but regardless I disagree that it is easy. It seem very tempting for a lot of people all the time to pick sides although there is rarely a need to actually do it.

Personally I am very disappointed, but there is plenty of time for more twists and turns. Do I believe we will make top two? No, not really. Do I think that we have no chance (don't mean literally)? No, of course we have a chance. We just need to beat Leeds or WBA and then gain a few more points than the team we beat over the other eight games. Things like that happens most seasons in many leagues. Wouldn't put money on us finishing top two, but I am not a betting man.

Ah ok, Didn't quite come across that way but maybe I misread.

I do agree, it's still to play for and they should absolutely bust a gut to get over that line, but I just think it's too much to do. Be fun (kind of) to watch though so I agree with your sentiment.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on March 07, 2020, 09:10:41 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on March 07, 2020, 09:05:20 PM

Ah ok, Didn't quite come across that way but maybe I misread.

I do agree, it's still to play for and they should absolutely bust a gut to get over that line, but I just think it's too much to do. Be fun (kind of) to watch though so I agree with your sentiment.

082.gif

Yes, it will be fun(ish) hopefully. Otherwise remember that all the disappointments make the occasional success even more glorious!

Porthogs FC

My goodness, I don't want to play Brentford. Can forest knock them out first round?

Woolly Mammoth

There is nobody to fear out there, it's all in the mind. Play without fear is one of the best forms of advice that you can receive especially when it comes to team sport. Far too much thinking and dissecting going on and it all ends up with supporters beating themselves up over it and giving them an ulcer. 
People forget that " Basics are the safety-net to success".
It is best never to listen to the junk that self proclaimed experts state to justify their jobs and salaries making a story out of why a team should be performing and achieving results more than they are, there is nothing complicated about football, it is a simple game complicated by individuals in the media who have their own hidden agendas.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.