watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

9 games left + most likely playoffs at this stage

Started by Deeping_white, March 07, 2020, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeping_white

Genuine question to everyone; with 9 regular season games to go and at the time of writing what appears will be at least two playoff fixtures to go with it, what would you do; stick with SP and see if we overturn a 6 point deficit and make top two and then see if he gets us up via the playoffs if we can't make up the gap, or go for a last minute change up of manager and see if it galvanises us into a more cohesive attacking unit that may make up the gap or then be successful in the playoffs? Fundamentally, we will have to beat Leeds and WBA if we stand any chance of making 1st/2nd and with Parker in charge I'm not 100% sure of how well we'll do away at both of them seeing as our home form is much better than our away form over the whole season.

At the start of the season, TK and SP were unequivocal in saying that automatic promotion was our aim, and it seems that we're currently failing against the target that they set us. Granted SP has got us into third and we've held this position fairly consistently all season, but when factored in that we've got arguably the best squad on paper, he's probably got us underperforming. I never thought I'd say this but we actually seem more convincing from a defensive perspective now compared to offensively, and he's seemingly made good forwards regress in their technical capabilities.

Realistically I don't know who you'd be able to bring in now because it's an odd time to try and find a manager so I'm not advocating we do change managers, I'm just intrigued as to what everyone else would do, should they be TK/SK? I know we've caught up to a bigger gap than the one we're currently looking at, it's just that time is running out and it still doesn't seem that with almost 40 league games played that we're fully clicking yet, something that can only be directed at the manager.

grandad

Give it a rest. Now is not the time to even think about a manager change. Who on earth could come in at this stage & do any better. TBH I don´t know why I am even replying.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Robbie

Mad OP.... change manager with nine games to go.. tedious

ChesterTheTabby

Stick with Scotty. We're in flipping 3rd place and have been playoff positions for the majority of the season. Unlike Slavisa's side that needed a 21 game miracle run to get us in this position, Scott has kept us consistent. Not saying SP is a bette coach, he's not and has a lot to learn, it's sheer madness to swap now. Stick with Scotty, show some support and faith, and COYW!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Statto

There was perhaps a reasonable case for sacking him after the Barnsley game, but we've got 8 points from 4 games since then, against 4 decent teams. You can't ask for more than that.

FFC1987

Even though I dislike Parker, it's absolute madness to sack him now.

Deeping_white

Quote from: Robbie on March 07, 2020, 09:33:27 PM
Mad OP.... change manager with nine games to go.. tedious

What part of "I'm not advocating changing manager" did you not understand? I'm talking hypothetically, it's a football forum after all where you're allowed to raise topics of discussion

Andy S

To have a discussion you need to have people to engage with you. What's wrong with keeping Scotty there until at least the end of the season and maybe next season as well. He twill have learnt from this seasons mistakes an next year could be our year. but I'm still hopeful of the play offs

Sgt Fulham

I despise Parker but to sack him now would be so pointless. We will make playoffs and we will compete. We have Mitro, we have Cairney, we have Hector, we have Knockaert, we have Cavaleiro and an array of other talent including a fantastic goalkeeper in Marek Rodak. What will be will be.

RaySmith

MJG

Not going to happen and shouldn't either. As many below indicate,  they either do not like him or think we should be doing better, but now is no time to rock the boat, that was as at new year really.
Just the views of a long term fan

MJG

Quote from: RaySmith on March 08, 2020, 03:27:20 AM
Why do  you despise Parker?
I cant answer for the poster but I know many who dont like him and that's from when he signed as a player. I have always found him hard to like and i dont think he was anywhere near as good a player for us as many think. Yes he had his moments but for me a massive waste of money. Tactically very basic and for us to have a better chance in the playoffs he needs to take the handbrake off because his cautious attitude may cost us.
Just the views of a long term fan

Mince n Tatties

Hilarious I find this constant downtrodding of Parker,a bloke in his first job and doing well in my book,I bet clubs like Wednesday, Boro and likes who were expected to be in the mix would have liked him at their helms.
I'd go as far and say if some of you we're Liverpool fans,you would have wanted Klopp sacked after losing to Watford and Chelsea in a week.
Parker is here for the long run,he's the Kahn's project,even if we don't go up he will be here still.
Get behind the bloke and stop ridiculous posts just because you didn't like him as a player or a person.

SuffolkWhite

We have to get behind the team, management and club now. Automatic promotion has not gone yet. My expectation was top 6, what will be will be.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Finnans Right Peg

I have mixed feelings about it all .I think the top 2 teams have prob the best 2 managers in the league and managers with plenty of experience I feel if we have Bielsa we win the league that is my opinion not a fact .

I think for our attacking players we don't score anywhere near enough goals and this is the main problem I have we scott .

Having said all that he is learning it is his first job and look at the 2 teams that came down with us they would take our position any day of the week

I think the way we are set up will make it hard for other teams to beat us so maybe although not nice to watch but effective

So keep the faith and COYW

toshes mate

Quote from: MJG on March 08, 2020, 06:36:51 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on March 08, 2020, 03:27:20 AM
Why do  you despise Parker?
I cant answer for the poster but I know many who dont like him and that's from when he signed as a player. I have always found him hard to like and i dont think he was anywhere near as good a player for us as many think. Yes he had his moments but for me a massive waste of money. Tactically very basic and for us to have a better chance in the playoffs he needs to take the handbrake off because his cautious attitude may cost us.
You have always been consistent about Parker and I agree with both your overall assessment of Parker and your call that now is not the time to change him.  The only reason I supported Parker's appointment last season was the Ranieri debacle and the horrible feeling in my boots that the Khans had learned absolutely nothing and would keep stabbing in the dark because they couldn't acknowledge just how good Jokanovic had been for us.  As for Parker's future credentials then who knows how high he will eventually fly?  Personally I don't see him as a ground breaking coach although I was hoping that this season he would prove me wrong and give me that same dry mouth of anticipation that Jokanovic (and others of his ilk) gave me.  His followers see something I do not and conversations with his supporters tend to lack insight, IMO.  But it is what it is.

ALG01

there is no question about parker's position. like him or not he is here until the season end even if we collapse.

if we go up the owner will have to think what h wants to do but I suspect parker should and would be given a whole season, look what happened when we paniced twice!

If we stay down then parker will also stay because it is likely we would go up top two next season.

However, i have no faith in the owner and his son's decision making so we shall see.

In the mean time I suggest we worry about the brentford game and not the manager!

FulhamStu

I still can't get my head around why the Khans would build a team of excellent expensive experienced championship players and have an inexperienced unproven novice manager/coach in charge.

I totally understand that the Khans value Parker very highly, like his style, his attitude and his personality but the facts are the facts.  I can only guess that this is a long term strategy, allowing Parker to learn on the job, with the intention for him being in charge for the long term.

Statto

Tactically very basic and for us to have a better chance in the playoffs he needs to take the handbrake off because his cautious attitude may cost us.

Agree with the general criticism of his tactics but the play-offs are always cagey, which IMO may suit Parker. Huddersfield managed to 'win' the play-offs with a 0-0, 1-1 and 0-0. I can see us doing something similar, albeit relying on a couple narrow wins instead of penalties. I can also see us getting Mowbray's Blackburn in the semis, and Parker will never outsmart him tactically. So it will be about keeping it tight and hoping our quality prevails at some point.

Milo

Quote from: Statto on March 08, 2020, 10:17:39 AM
Tactically very basic and for us to have a better chance in the playoffs he needs to take the handbrake off because his cautious attitude may cost us.

Agree with the general criticism of his tactics but the play-offs are always cagey, which IMO may suit Parker. Huddersfield managed to 'win' the play-offs with a 0-0, 1-1 and 0-0. I can see us doing something similar, albeit relying on a couple narrow wins instead of penalties. I can also see us getting Mowbray's Blackburn in the semis, and Parker will never outsmart him tactically. So it will be about keeping it tight and hoping our quality prevails at some point.

Good points!

I also think the D Reid plus the 3 up front has completely changed how we play and made us far more attacking. That change coincided with our latest run. So, Parker has become more attacking of late c.f. the three defensive midfielders we had playing all at once a few months ago.

Also I note yesterday he took Ream off and went three at the back when 1-0 down so..!