more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 14/03/20...

Started by WhiteJC, March 14, 2020, 08:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham favourite lifts the lid on his Craven Cottage departure

Former Fulham left-back Paul Konchesky has revealed why his move from Fulham to Liverpool was one of the most complicated of his career.

Konchesky spent three successful seasons at Craven Cottage between 2007 and 2010 but left to join former Whites manager Roy Hodgson at Liverpool.

The England international was an integral part of the Fulham side that made the 2010 Europa League final and scored two goals from his 122 appearances for the club.

He last played for non-league side East Thurrock United and lifted the lid on his move away from Craven Cottage this week.

"I knew it was happening but it was dragging on and on," Konchesky told Planet Football.

"I wasn't allowed to leave until Fulham got another left-sided player to replace me.

"It was getting closer and closer to the end of the window. In your mind, you want to go because Liverpool have come knocking on the door, but then you're thinking it's not going to happen, you've got to go back and you're going to be disappointed.

"It happened on the last day [of the transfer window]. I got told I could go up to Liverpool, do my medical and sign that day. It's a nerve-wracking time. As a player you just want it done. It seems the more you want it done the more it drags on."

The 38-year-old's move to Anfield did not work out as planned and he was sold to Leicester City the following summer, having made just 18 appearances in all competitions.

The verdict

Unfortunately for the player, Konchesky's move away from Fulham was a failed one and came during a rather dark spell for Liverpool.

A good servant for Fulham, his contributions will still be remembered well and the role he played in the run to the Europa League final cannot be overstated.

An England international early on in his career, he had a number of good years with Leicester after leaving Merseyside.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-favourite-lifts-the-lid-on-his-craven-cottage-departure/

WhiteJC

Newcastle hero Lee Clark: Van der Sar? Asprilla? Who makes my All-Time XI?

This week I was asked by the Tribalfootball team to pick my all-time XI from my playing career. To say it was difficult is an understatement as I played with numerous footballing greats at Newcastle, Fulham and Sunderland, but here goes:

Goalkeeper - Edwin van der Sar

It came down to two, but the person who just knicked it is Edwin van der Sar, ahead of Shay Given. Both world-class goalkeepers. Obviously Edwin went to Manchester United and added to the trophies he'd already won at Ajax. So for that reason, Edwin just tips the scales slightly from Shay.

There's not much to seperate them though. They were both great with their distribution and hands, terrific goalkeepers who could win you games with their outstanding skills.

Right-back - Steve Finnan

I played with Steve Finnan at Fulham before he went to Liverpool and became a Champions League winner. The perfect athlete, Steve never stopped running up and down the pitch. Great defensively and great quality on the ball as well, in terms of breaking forward. An outstanding player.

Left-back - John Beresford

The same as Steve, in the fact that he was a terrific athlete. He also made a lot of goals for a fullback. A big, big player at the left-back position. He was absolutely brilliant.

Centre-backs - Steve Howey & Philippe Albert

Steve would've gone on to win plenty of England caps if it wasn't for his injuries. He was an outstanding central defender.

Alongside him I'd have to put Philly Albert. An absolutely wonderful footballer. He was a colossus at the back. So elegant on the ball and could play any position on the pitch, but also a good defender.

Left-midfield - David Ginola

The first six-months David came to Newcastle he was unstoppable. The first season he was simply unplayable, defenders couldn't handle him.

If they got tight with him, he'd spin them. If they gave him space and they backed off, he was brilliant in a one-on-one situation. He scored some fantastic goals. A tremendous athlete as well standing at 6ft 2in. He was very, very powerful. In training he was outstanding as well. You couldn't really play against him, because in one-on-one situations you'd back him nine times out of 10.

Central-midfield - Rob Lee

Rob got changed from a winger into a midfield player and it paid off. He was a terrific box-to-box player.

A tremendous passer of the ball who could do everything. Head, tackle, a great range of passing with both feet and could also score important goals. I'd probably have Rob sitting a little bit deeper in this side as he did towards more at the back end of his career.

Central-midfield - Peter Beardsley

I had to squeeze Peter Beardsley in here, even if it's not in his preferred position of striker. Peter could play in midfield as well. He was a magician with the football, he could do anything.

He got as much pride as making goals for people as he did scoring them, and he certainly scored some unbelievable ones, going past five or six players, long distance strikes, the lot. Absolutely top-draw.

Right-midfield - Faustino Asprilla

On the right-hand side I had to fit another striker in with Tino Asprilla. He was flamboyant and a maverick in every sense of the word.

He could go past players with ease, he had wonderful technique and unbelievable balance and turn of speed. It wouldn't be his favoured position because obviously he's a striker, but I'm trying to get as many quality players in as I can and Faustino would have to be on the pitch.

Forward - Alan Shearer

This one was obvious.

Alan is the Premier League's greatest ever goalscorer, an unbelievable number nine. The quality of him was demonstrated when he suffered serious injuries in his career. Because when he came back, he adapted his game. When he first came on the scene he was powerful, he was very, very quick and strong, getting balls over the top and holding off defenders. But when he got older and after some serious injuries, he became a different type of striker.

He isn't the tallest but he was phenomenal in the air, the direction he could get off his headers, as well as his brilliant link-up play. And he loves scoring all types of goals. A tap-in would give him just as much joy as a 30-yard free-kick into the top corner. That was the key for him.

Forward - Andy Cole

It was tough to pick a partner for Alan Shearer. I played with so many top class forwards. Kevin Phillips, Les Ferdinand, Louis Saha and Asprilla.

But I had to go with Andy Cole because of the spell we had playing together. His goalscoring record at Newcastle was phenomenal. And he was a striker that played off the shoulder, which was great for me as a midfielder because he was always looking for that through pass to get on the end of things. With that strike partnership you'd be guaranteed goals if you gave them half an opportunity.

Manager - Kevin Keegan

This was one of the hardest picks for me. I was lucky in my career as every manager I played under was exceptional. I'll always be in debt to the late Jim Smith, who gave me my debut. Ossie Ardiles was a fantastic manager for us young players coming through at Newcastle. Kenny Dalglish had won the Premier League at two different clubs, an icon, and great man manager.

Paul Bracewell was a colleague of mine, who I had a hell of a lot of respect for. Jean Tigana took the football level to new heights in terms of nutrition and fitness in comparison to anything else I'd experienced.

Chris Coleman, an ex-teammate of mine and good friend, came in as one of the youngest managers at Fulham, and did an outstanding job on a limited budget. And lastly, I had Graeme Souness, who was another exceptional man manager.

But in the end, I had to pick Kevin Keegan, because he took the club from the bottom reaches to competing for the Premier League on a regular basis and into Europe. He was just out of this world.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/newcastle-hero-lee-clark-van-der-sar-asprilla-who-makes-my-all-time-xi-4318727?utm_source%3Dnewsnow%26utm_medium%3Drss-feed%26utm_campaign%3DFeed-Latest%2BArticles#popup-sso

WhiteJC

The Long Read: Zoltan Gera

When speaking to fans about their Fulham heroes of recent times, Zoltan Gera is a name which will crop up in most conversations.

The Hungarian etched himself into the history of our Club by turning up when we needed him most on our run to the Europa League Final, netting critical goals against CSKA Sofia, Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and Hamburg.

But things hadn't always gone swimmingly in SW6 for Zolly, who took time to settle following his free transfer from West Bromwich Albion.

"The first season was disappointing for me," he admitted. "The style we played was defensive. At West Brom we played very attractive, attacking football, but at Fulham I needed to learn the movements.

"I felt in the first few games I wasn't playing well but that the manager was still with me, still giving me chances. But I lost my confidence, my first touch wasn't there, so it was only a matter of time until I was out of the team.

"To be honest, when Roy [Hodgson] first said to me, 'for this game you are on the bench,' I was relieved. I was a little bit happy because I knew I was not in good form, I was not in good shape, and I was feeling the pressure from the supporters, because you know when they are not happy with your performances.

"Clint Dempsey came into the team and he was flying, he was a very, very good player. I needed the first season to know the manager, his ideas, and also to settle in the team. Sometimes it doesn't work immediately when you change club, but the second season was much, much better and I enjoyed myself on the pitch.

"And, of course, I played a different role in the team, I played just off the striker or to the left or right, and that was much better. I realised what the manager likes, what he wants from me, and it was much better."

That role he filled so effectively up top became available due to an injury curse that continued to plague Andrew Johnson.

And while he would never wish ill on a teammate, Gera knew it was a chance he needed to grab with both hands.

"Sometimes you need luck in football, and I had this because Andy was injured," he said. "Sometimes you get the chance and then have to take the opportunity, and I think I did that.

"I played as a striker in Hungary, and also for the national team a few times. A scout from Fulham saw me play in this role against Portugal. That scout told the manager that I'd played a good game as a second striker, so maybe that's why they gave me the opportunity to play as a number 10."

One of the reasons he was so successful playing up front was his telepathic understanding with Bobby Zamora; the big man to Zolly's little man.

The two were devastating leading the line for the Whites, between them scoring 12 of our 21 goals en route to the Europa League Final.

"It was very easy to play with Bobby because he could hold up the ball very well, he was very strong physically, and also he was very good with the ball at his feet," Zolly explained.

"We understood each other because we practised our attacking movements a lot on the training pitch. I realised what Bobby's strengths were and when to give him the ball, for example the no-look pass for his goal away at Wolfsburg. I enjoyed playing with Bobby, sometimes you just get a partnership that works very well, and he was a really, really good player.

"It was a great time, not just because we had good games in the Europa League, we also we had a very good group of players. The players were amazing, we had a very good connection, quite often we'd go out to a restaurant and eat together. It was a very good group and I enjoyed that time.

"I think that was the best I achieved in my career, playing in the Europa League Final. I also played in the Euros with Hungary which was a big achievement for us because we hadn't played in the Euros for more than 40 years. It's difficult to say which is the bigger achievement. They're both at the top. If we'd won the Final I think then of course that would be the biggest one."

2009/10 will surely go down as Fulham's greatest ever season, so to win the Player of the Year trophy at the end of the campaign was a special moment for Gera.

"That was an honour for me," he said. "It was a great pleasure when the fans voted me as the best player for Fulham that season. But also, many, many players did amazing that year – Bobby Zamora, Mark Schwarzer, Danny Murphy, Clint Dempsey – so I was lucky to get this award. It was a surprise for me. I didn't expect to be the best player in that year for Fulham."

The Whites were victim of their own success that summer, with Roy Hodgson leaving to join Liverpool. He was replaced by Mark Hughes, who started Gera just 10 times in the Premier League.

With his three-year contract at an end, Gera made the decision to leave the Club at the conclusion of the 2010/11 campaign.

"I enjoyed my time at Fulham, I didn't want to leave, but I felt I had to move because I wanted to play," he explained. "Sometimes I was not even on the bench, so that was a very disappointing period in my life at Fulham. My family had settled, we enjoyed life off the field, so that was a disappointment. I was planning to be there for years, but sometimes a new coach comes in and doesn't like your style.

"Of course we had very, very good players. I remember that year the Club signed Mousa Dembélé, he was an outstanding player, so I didn't have many chances to play. Sometimes you have to decide whether you want to play or just sit on the bench. I wanted to play. For me it doesn't matter if you have good wages but you're not playing, I'm not interested in that. I wanted to play football because I love football."

It was a shame for Gera that such a distinguished Fulham career ended on a sour note, as he picked up a straight red card for a foul on Arsenal's Thomas Vermaelen, minutes after coming off the bench in the season finale.

"That was shocking," Zolly confessed. "I was disappointed because I knew I had to leave the Club. I was disappointed because I felt the supporters liked me, I also liked them, so I was frustrated and my head was not clear. But of course I didn't want to get the red card in that last game.

"I don't know what happened in that moment. I just saw the red card coming out from the referee's pocket. That was my first ever red card. I was very, very disappointed, not just because I got the red, but also because I broke my ankle in that tackle. When I walked off the pitch I started to feel it, and then after the game when we went around to wave to the fans I felt more pain in my ankle. In the end I couldn't walk, so it was a very, very disappointing game; red card, broken ankle, and no contract! A nightmare."

A player of Gera's calibre was never going to be a free agent for long, and a return to West Brom was a perfect move considering the man who had recently been appointed at The Hawthorns.

"I remember when he signed for West Brom, I knew I'd be going back there, with Roy," he recalled. "I don't know why, but I just knew. It was a great relationship, he's a very experienced manager. He's also very intelligent, he's a gentleman, so it was always a great experience to work with Roy.

"Before I signed for Fulham he had called me a few times, and I was sure that Roy Hodgson wants me. I had the chance to sign with other teams, but when he called me and spoke about the project and what my part in this Fulham team would be, of course I didn't think twice. I just wanted to join Fulham, and I was very, very lucky to go there because I enjoyed every single minute at that club."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/13/the-long-read-zoltan-gera

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic discusses his mood at Fulham

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has revealed that he is "really happy" at the west London club.

The Serbian has been in sensational form for the Cottagers this term, finding the net 23 times in the Championship, putting him at the top of the goal scoring charts.

He has played 34 of Fulham's 37 league games this term, and has established himself as a key player for the team.

Speaking to the Metro, Mitrovic revealed that he is loving life at the club, as well as the country.

'I'm really happy, my family are really happy here and I feel settled. I love the country, the culture, the people and I feel really welcome. I get respect here," he said.

He also made a strong admission on what it is like playing his football in England.

"It is the best football country in the world. Everybody wants to be in England. Playing here is like the NBA is to basketball."

Fulham find themselves in 3rd place in the league table, six points off West Bromwich Albion in 2nd with nine games of the season remaining.

Mitrovic's goals have played a big part towards that, and the Serbian said he is keen to add to his impressive tally.

"As a striker, you always want more but I think I've had a good season, 31 goals so far (for club and country) and more games to play," he said.

Fulham were meant to play Brentford on Friday evening, but the game along with all EFL fixtures have been postponed until April 3 at the earliest.

The Verdict

Fulham fans will be glad to hear that Mitrovic is loving life at the west London club. The Serbian signed a new five-year contract at the club in July of last year.

The Cottagers will be hoping to achieve promotion this term, as if they don't, it could severely effect the chances of Mitrovic staying on for another season in the Championship.

According to WhoScored, the Serbian has contributed directly towards 44% of Fulham's goals this term.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aleksandar-mitrovic-discusses-his-mood-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Scott Parker: Doing as well as he can or out of his depth at Fulham?

This article is part of Football League World's 'Fan Perspective' series, this content strand is where we deliver an opinion-based outlook from the perspective of a certain club's fanbase on the matter at hand...

Despite guiding his team to third in the table, Scott Parker cannot seem to shake off the doubts about his abilities.

Coming in at the end of a nightmare season in the Premier League Parker quickly got Fulham winning again and moving towards the right end of the table, but with 37 matches played it seems supporters are not fully on-board with his project.

A key complaint directed at him is his insistence on a possession at all costs approach that fans have dubbed 'Parkerball'.

Incisive and unplayable at its best but dour and slow at its worst, Parker still needs to convince onlookers that his style of play is suited to his squad and can produce results in the long-term.

While Fulham have been solid at the back, there is the feeling that this group of players could be more dangerous in front of goal and based on their 2017/18 campaign this is not an argument without reason.

That season Slavisa Jokanovic's team scored 79 goals in 46 matches, a total only bettered by champions Wolverhampton Wanderers, and finished with 88 points.

After 37 games this season Parker's team have amassed 64 points and have scored 52 goals, and this is with an arguably more varied and talented group of attackers at his disposal.

Of course, calling for Parker to be sacked would be hasty given Fulham's league position and sizeable chance of promotion.

With just nine matches to play this would cause unnecessary upheaval at a crucial point in the season and could prove a mistake.

However, come the summer if the club fail to secure promotion there is a decision to be taken.

This will depend on availability and how well Fulham finish the season, but for a club of their ambition, stature and potential, it is not worth sticking with someone that is not quite up to standard.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/scott-parker-doing-as-well-as-he-can-or-out-of-his-depth-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

The Lowdown West Ham Utd U18s

Our Under-18s look ahead to a huge game in their bid for the league title, as they travel to face West Ham United on Saturday.

Form:

West Ham Utd:

The Hammers approach the match on the back of three wins in a row. They sit just three points behind the Young Whites with an inferior goal difference.

Fulham:

Fulham bounced back after their disappointing home draw against Aston Villa with a solid performance and 2-0 win over Brighton and Hove Albion last weekend. We've won four of our last five games in the league, with one draw.

Last Time Out:

Our 18s ran riot at Motspur Park with a dominant 5-1 win after four Jay Stansfield goals and one from Connor McAvoy.

He Said:

Captain McAvoy expects a good challenge against an in-form West Ham side.

"They've been very good lately, especially at home and they'll definitely be up for it." He said. "If they beat us they'll end up on the same points so it's definitely a big game for both sides."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/march/13/the-lowdown-west-ham-utd-u18s