Author Topic: NFR: Golf  (Read 1106 times)

Offline davew

• Mr Fayed
NFR: Golf
« on: March 21, 2020, 07:30:24 PM »
Currently golf courses in the UK are open though many if not all have shut the club houses (certainly for meals and drinks) some are offering take away meals. Thankfully the Mrs is better now and not self isolating anymore , so I have been exploring where I could go abroad to play golf, Spain had already shut their courses and now Portugal have done the same, what is the situation in countries that some of you might be living in or currently working in?

Offline Logicalman

• Global Moderator
  • cebu
Re: GOLF??
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »
Forget North America, Level 4 travel advisory (aka international ban) declared 2 days ago. If we leave here to go abroad we might not be permitted to return until the all clear! Yep, they're serious I guess.  :023:

On the bright side, it's cheap flights time!  :003:

Offline davew

• Mr Fayed
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »
Forget North America, Level 4 travel advisory (aka international ban) declared 2 days ago. If we leave here to go abroad we might not be permitted to return until the all clear! Yep, they're serious I guess.  :023:

On the bright side, it's cheap flights time!  :003:
Thanks, any other suggestions?

Offline jarv

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 09:52:03 PM »
Played golf twice in the last week.  (in usa). Flights booked for May to London but gutted because I will not make it now. Had a month of activity planned, cant risk not getting back into the country. Hope to reschedule for next football season, cmon Fulham.

Offline kiwian

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 09:59:54 PM »
Courses are open here in NZ, 14 days of self isolation on arrival required!

Offline davew

• Mr Fayed
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 10:05:47 PM »
Courses are open here in NZ, 14 days of self isolation on arrival required!
Thanks, any practise facitilies available?

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Cliffy Dean
  • Not one step back.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
davew, Golf is organised loafing, it’s the only sport where you actually put on weight while you are playing.

Offline davew

• Mr Fayed
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 08:04:49 AM »
davew, Golf is organised loafing, it’s the only sport where you actually put on weight while you are playing.
Maybe, but keeps me away from the drinks cabinet for 4 to 5 hours and with clubhouses not able to serve drinks,  I think I will actually be losing weight and saving money.

Offline The Swan

• Legend
NFR. \the golf course I play at has to close for at least three months.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »
I play at a private course in Northampton. Up until this week we could play but were unable to meet after the round.
We have just been informed that the course will close for at least three months.
We normally play on Saturday morning( except when Fulham are playing at home)
We have been promised three months free golf at the end of this year.
I know that a lot of people are losing their jobs so we can't complain about this decision.

Offline Woolly Mammoth

• Cliffy Dean
  • Not one step back.
We are all in a Bunker for the forcible future, keep safe.

Offline Twig

• Gentleman Jim
Re: NFR. \the golf course I play at has to close for at least three months.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 10:12:26 PM »
Our club initially planned to close all changing, bar, social facilities etc but keep the course open on the basis it offers exercise opportunity.  However the Board have now decided it must close.  Given the nice weather it’s a real shame. Looking on the bright side I guess the courses will all be in incredible condition when we can return.

Offline bobbo

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 11:48:34 AM »
It'll be a housing estate when you go back. They're sneaky these golf clubs.

Offline Whitesideup

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 01:48:06 PM »
Our club initially planned to close all changing, bar, social facilities etc but keep the course open on the basis it offers exercise opportunity.  However the Board have now decided it must close.  Given the nice weather it’s a real shame. Looking on the bright side I guess the courses will all be in incredible condition when we can return.
That's if the greenkeepers are allowed to work. There should be no reason why they have to be within 100 metres of another member of staff, let alone 2, but the ban on non-essential work may be applied to all.

Offline WhiteJC

• Administrator
  • Mornington Crescent
  • I'm tall for my height
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »
It'll be a housing estate when you go back. They're sneaky these golf clubs.

064.gif

crazy golf instead?

Offline Twig

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 09:44:25 PM »
That's if the greenkeepers are allowed to work. There should be no reason why they have to be within 100 metres of another member of staff, let alone 2, but the ban on non-essential work may be applied to all.

At the moment our Board have said a reduced team of green keepers will work but I agree, who knows what will happen.

Offline The Rational Fan

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »
The more extreme the measures, the shorter the restrictions will last.

Offline Jims Dentist

• Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 01:36:48 AM »
The more extreme the measures, the shorter the restrictions will last.
Well said T R Fan.
We don't always agree, but I'm with you on this one.👍

Offline kiwian

• Graham Leggat
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 07:30:54 AM »
Courses now closed so practise putting on the carpet, you'll save a fortune on air fares

Offline davew

• Mr Fayed
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:48 AM »
Courses now closed so practise putting on the carpet, you'll save a fortune on air fares
I have wooden floors!

Offline davew

• Mr Fayed
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 08:21:53 AM »
I think you could be wrong, greenkeepers may well be laid off especially in those clubs that are struggling financially which many of them are.