watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

non ffc claims to fame.

Started by jarv, April 06, 2020, 03:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I thought the ffc claim was a good thread o how about other claims.

I was good friends with and played football with Richard O'Sullivan"s brother (John). A really good player as was Richard. As a result of our
friendship, met Richard often and had a beer or two in Chiswick.  City barge I think.

On a business trip one time, sat next to Francis Lee (post football retirement) on a flight somewhere in Europe.

At the polytechnic lawn tennis club in Chiswick, one time when I got there, teamed up with 3 guys to make up a doubles match. Turns out my partner that afternoon was  a Davis Cup player. One of the lower division countries, nice Asian lad. Can't remember his name.

At "soccer" conventions in USA, met with Charlie Cooke (chelsea), Paul Mariner (Ipswich) Jimmy Melia (Liverpool) Dave Sexton (various) Don Howe (arsenal) Bobby Charlton (very briefly, bit of a miserable sod).

Thats about it for me.

Ronnief

I'm officially not allowed to tell you. 092.gif

Southcoastffc

At a Knebworth Park Jules Holland gig our picnicing neighbours were Nasser Hussain and his family.

At Chichester Theatre I sat in front of Hugh Bonneville and behind Doon MacKichan (of Smack The Pony etc).
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

RaySmith

Went to the same school, Tulse hill comprehensive, 10 storeys, over 2,000 boys, as

Linton Kwesi Johnson – the world's first reggae poet[1]
Danny Williams – boxer and former Commonwealth Heavyweight champion[1]
Ken Livingstone – Mayor of London 2000–2008 and politician[1]
Steve Bucknall – one of England's finest ever basketball players, played in the NBA and captain of the English team[1]
Smiley Culture/David Emmanuel – musician, UK-based reggae artist[1]
Dennis Bailey – footballer, played for Queens Park Rangers (New Year's Day 1992 hat-trick vs. Manchester United)[1]
Les Briley – footballer (midfield/striker)[1]
Michael Alldis 1979/82 - boxer, former British & Commonwealth champion
Nick Chatterton – footballer, Crystal Palace and Millwall
Sir Nicholas John Patten – Justice of Appeal
Donovan Reid – former British sprinter, 1984 Olympics
Former teachers
Ken Morley – actor[1]
Kenneth Cranham – actor[1] – pupil
Douglas Fielding – actor (Z-Cars) – pupil
Mike Edwards (ex-deputy head) – played cricket for Surrey between 1961 and 1974
Philip Hobsbaum – poet and critic[4]
Richard Edmonds - neo-Nazi political activist

But I only remember seeing  actor Ken Cranham there, as a  pupil, and Nicky Chatterton's  dad, who was  a part time PE teacher - i think he was involved with Palace at the time as a coach.

Met DJ John Peel and chatted in a pub opposite The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm,where the Runaways, an all female, American rock group he'd championed were playing, and made some music  requests for his show-

but don't know if he played them, because he went  to do his show which began at 10pm, and we, being me and my Lambeth Council gardening  ganger Frank, went to the concert. There is much  more of  story to this, but i'm not going to tell it  here.

Holders

Had dinner with Stewart Copeland's Ex.
Invited on board HMS Victory for the 200th anniversary of Trafalgar (with Queen, First Lord etc).
Interviewed for BBC national news May 2019 after Nigel Farage and Caroline Lucas!
Invited to Euro parliament the week before B-day.
Queen's Award for Voluntary Service.
Went to a meeting at the Linnean Society and stood at the lectern where a plaque records that it was where Darwin's theory of evolution was first read.
Used to live next door to Anthea Turner and Lisa Goddard and Alvin Stardust used to ride by on their horses.
PM's sister asked me if I wanted anything in Gregg's. 

Pretty tenuous, some of these...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

Quote from: jarv on April 06, 2020, 03:21:44 PM
I thought the ffc claim was a good thread o how about other claims.

I was good friends with and played football with Richard O'Sullivan"s brother (John). A really good player as was Richard. As a result of our
friendship, met Richard often and had a beer or two in Chiswick.  City barge I think.

Do you know it Richard O'Sullivan is a Fulham fan? Saw him and a group of friends going in that big pub on the embankment just the other side of Putney Bridge before a home match.

jarv

Holder, I don't recall him being a Fulham fan, he did like football and was a very good player.

I missed out one day, big time.  John O'Sullivan called me to see if I was available for a match on a sunday. (I was out, no mobile or vmail then)....he wanted me to show up for a charity game, the show biz 11 with brother Richard and many other tv folk and a couple of rock stars.  Playing against a team of retired international players. I MISSED the call. The showbiz team needed one more player to make 11.

Can't remember the outcome except my mate John out jumped Alex Elder (Burnley/N Ireland) to head in past Jack Kelsey (Arsenal/Wales).

Holders

Quote from: jarv on April 06, 2020, 07:02:26 PM
Holder, I don't recall him being a Fulham fan, he did like football and was a very good player.

I missed out one day, big time.  John O'Sullivan called me to see if I was available for a match on a sunday. (I was out, no mobile or vmail then)....he wanted me to show up for a charity game, the show biz 11 with brother Richard and many other tv folk and a couple of rock stars.  Playing against a team of retired international players. I MISSED the call. The showbiz team needed one more player to make 11.

Can't remember the outcome except my mate John out jumped Alex Elder (Burnley/N Ireland) to head in past Jack Kelsey (Arsenal/Wales).

Maybe not a fan but I think they were going to the match.

What you describe would really have made this thread!

A friend had a similar experience. He was a referee in the Sussex County league and got a call to run the line at Brighton & Hove Albion one day but had the flu and couldn't do it. It was always his ambition to officiate in the league and he jacked it in straight after that.

ALG01

RIP
She used to sit in front of us
Pussy galore the best ever bond girl
She was brilliant in new tricks recently
Very sad

Seems it is all sad news at the moment

SP

I'm struggling to think of anything, best I can do is travelling through the Channel Tunnel before it officially opened.

FFChris

Used to play cricket with Cliff Bennett of the Rebel Rousers fame.  Cliff was a Fulham fan.

Bowled at Gordon Greenidge in the nets at Hampshire.  Unbelieveable experience.

Sat having a drink in the Three Horseshoes in Laleham waiting for my girlfriend at the time to finish her shift.  Sat chatting to a cuy at the bar for an hour or so and finally got round to asking him what he did for work.  He said he was an actor working at Shepperton Studios just up the road.  Shortly after he left and my girlfriend said did I know who I was talking to to which the answer was no.  Apparently it was Simon MacCorkindale.

kiwian

Umpiring an under-17 cricket match and this fast bowler who was batting send a straight drive whistling past my head, I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't ducked. Name-Richard Hadlee. Can't remember his bowling though!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Mince n Tatties

Working in racing industry in Newmarket over the years have met quite a few..
Sean Connery back in the Eighties at Royal Ascot asked me for directions.
Have had a pint in the Waggon n Horses in town with Ray Winstone and ex Windies bowler Michael Holding who has a house here.
Gary Johnson lived a few doors from us with son Lee when Gary was manager of Newmarket Town then Cambridge Utd.
Have had a chat on more than one occasion with the great man Holding,really down to earth and a smashing fella.

Grumpy Worthing White

When working as a Mini Cab in the Purley/Coulsdon area the fares included the actor who played Jules in East Enders, one of the Boyzone band members who I took to Heathrow and a young lass who was in a girl band back in mid 90`s can`t remember the name of the band......Oh and 15 minutes of fame I appeared on Coastal Ways TV documentary supposed to be doing a bit of windsurfing for the camera, guess what......the wind didn`t turn up  :016:

ron

In a former life I was a VC10 Purser on a certain airline out of Bahrain. On one trip our captain was Dennis Briggs ("Bismarck Briggs" who captained the Catalina flying boat that located that ship). I joined him and the flight engineer for a couple of beers in Athens. Now his story was a very interesting listen.....

bill taylors apprentice

In 1991 I was in travelling around Ireland watching the Tour of Ireland (Nissan Classic) were many of the top pro riders from the Tour de France etc were riding.

Because I worked in the cycle business and was an amateur racer I knew many in the sport and before the start of one stage (I think it was Limerick) I spotted Sean Yates (UK pro, T de F stage winner and Yellow jersey among other victories) who I knew.

On a cold grey morning Sean was sitting on a wall waiting for the start of the days stage along side a young American cyclist who I didn't know, he was having a try out in the end of season races to see if he could make the grade as a pro.

I spotted the American had a different type of tyres on his wheels than they usually used and asked him if it was his choice or had the sponsors insisted he use them only for him to glare at me and reply "I don't f**king know, why don't you just F**k off!

As the Young American moved away Sean said "don't take any notice of him, he's having a try out with the team and he's having a bad time, I don't think he will make it".

That young american was Lance Armstrong and I was possibly one of the first people to see what an arrogant tosser he was.
The following year he signed his first pro contract and the rest is history.

Abbotsbury White

Sat next to Daniel Radcliffe (Mr Potter) at lords, didnt have a clue who he was until all these people came up asking him to sign and my 12 year old said 'Dad thats Harry Potter', nice bloke happy to talk cricket and football he did admit to not being a Fulham fan but has been a few times.
Drove Samuel L Jackson around London.
Bruv in law is/was a Sex Pistol.
Saw Linda Lusardi in Bra and knickers on a photo shoot.
Alan Mullery was related to one of my late mums best friends.
Worked with Steve Hatter.
Sat next to the Kinks Drummer at a family wedding.
Best of all Done a wheelie the whole length of King street Hammersmith(well from broadway to where the cinema used to be) on my GS750 (40 years ago)
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town.

bobbo

I got a cousin , a famous singer in a famous band , as kids we used to sit in Ravenscourt Park watching the teddy boys strutting about. I leave you to guess the person. I'm sure many will know.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

john dempsey

used to drink in the same pub as oliver reed when we lived in guernsey
watched him and his mate do a stage fight in the pub very entertaining.
our postie would deliver to his house and quite often and he would
be dressed in full cricket gear and would not let postie go
until he had bowled a couple of overs

bog

Back in the early 1950's an American singer Johnnie Ray was the man. For some reason my mother took me, aged 8, to see him at the London Palladium. Afterwards we joined the flock around the back and out he came to wave down to us all. My mother decided to go home then and as we passed the main entrance the door burst open and out came Johnnie Ray in full flight. He ran straight into my mother knocking her to the ground. I can still see him helping her back up, making a fuss of her and rustling my hair before jumping in his car and roaring off.

In the early 60's I used to regularly serve petrol to the English actress, Phyllis Calvert. She got on well with my father who worked with me. One day she gave him tickets to see a play she was in at the Drury Lane theatre. After, when we were leaving, she came out of the side entrance, pulled over and asked if we needed a lift. Now I wish we did. A really very nice lady.