watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Captain Tom Moore

Started by sunburywhite, April 15, 2020, 02:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

For those of you who may not have heard this story, it is a ray of sunshine in these difficult times

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52290976

Peoples generosity is amazing, he (or rather the genral public ) has added £2m in the last 5 hours, he is just about to break £7m

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Woolly Mammoth

Indeed it is, and Tom Moore is an example to us all. As well as the generous members of the public. 
I hope the leaders of all the parties take note in between counting their perks and filling in their expenses  claim forms, and I include the odious House of Lords in this statement.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Buffalo76

If this gentleman doesn't deserve the country's highest honour then there's something wrong.

bog

Tom also fought for his country in the last war. He originally hoped for £1000.   As Buffalo76 says there is something wrong if he is not given the country's highest honour. When you think of some of the luvies who have...

Mind you they don't have a good record for this. The last living RAF man from the Dam Busters raid was rightly lauded for one and he was overlooked. Patted on the head with an OBE or MBE I cannot recall which. 

bobbo

And I wanted to start one of at £10 a person . Well done tom left me for dead , brilliant effort.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

filham

Yes well done Tom and all those who made a contribution.
However I do agree with an earlier post that it a shame that the NHS needs such charity , the government should have the nerve to put a penny on the rate of income tax for the NHS and Care Homes.

res

Quote from: filham on April 15, 2020, 06:38:12 PM
However I do agree with an earlier post that it a shame that the NHS needs such charity , the government should have the nerve to put a penny on the rate of income tax for the NHS and Care Homes.

Agree about increasing taxes for the NHS and Social Care....but if you put that on an electoral manifesto you will lose. The electorate has short memories and want better public services as long as someone else pays. So charities and heroic fundraising will always have a role to play.

sunburywhite

I think it is everyones way of thanking the NHS for keeping it off their doorstep (assuming you havent been affected)

Also an easy way to show your appreciation beyond clapping at 8 on Thursday

bog

Twig

It's just astonishing.  To anyone who hasn't donated yet, please give something no matter how modest.

Fernhurst

Completing his walk this morning Live on BBC1 Breakfast program.
Arise Sir Tom.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

sunburywhite

Mince n Tatties

filham

Quote from: res on April 15, 2020, 06:49:47 PM
Quote from: filham on April 15, 2020, 06:38:12 PM

Agree about increasing taxes for the NHS and Social Care....but if you put that on an electoral manifesto you will lose. The electorate has short memories and want better public services as long as someone else pays. So charities and heroic fundraising will always have a role to play.
I would normally agree but nnless Boris makes an absolute bloomer of some kind then he is in charge for the next ten years. He could now add an NHS extra penny on income tax, earmarked for the NHS, and still win the next election in comfort.

Carborundum

What a splendid fellow.  Agree with the remarks about him above. Watched him this morning on the TV and loved the way he spoke with the reporter about the help he has received from the NHS.  But he rose further in my estimation when the reporter wanted to end the chat with him starting his final laps. To which he replied "No, I'm going to walk to the start point and begin from there". Combined with his well polished medals and perfectly ironed trousers, the message was clear - doing things properly is not negotiable.  What a great example he sets.

Jims Dentist

Well played Captain.
In times of trouble people like you inspire us all.

SP

Mullers OG

Promotion beckons - arise Major Tom.

sunburywhite

22m

10m added in 2 days and 3 hours