more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Not impressed.

Started by bog, April 24, 2020, 10:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john dempsey

bog

Gentleman. I had no wish to kick off any political opinions! All I offered was that The Maestro rarely gets a mention, if ever, now. Mind you, I don't think Sir Tom Finney or Sir Stanley Mathews were there either. 

filham

Quote from: bog on April 25, 2020, 04:56:51 PM
Gentleman. I had no wish to kick off any political opinions! All I offered was that The Maestro rarely gets a mention, if ever, now. Mind you, I don't think Sir Tom Finney or Sir Stanley Mathews were there either. 

So who was in this list in the Mail, Tommy Lawton , Billy Wright or Frank Swift ??
I doubt it but then perhaps we are old enough to remember great players that today's sports writers have never heard of.
They can't really help that can they.

RaySmith

If you're  paid to write as an expert in a subject surely you should have a knowledge of its history.

You wouldn't expect a  theatre or books journalist to have no knowledge of Shakespeare or Dickens - but then, maybe today, that would happen and no-one would care..

Fernhurst

Well said Captain:
To return to your original post:
Blanchflower also told this story and related it as if it was all his own idea. NI were playing England in an important match at Wembley.
"I knew if we were to have any chance of winning we had to stop Johnny Haynes. Haynes was England setting up the majority of their chances".
The then goes into a deep analysis on how they set up to deny Johnny the ball or frustrate him when he did have possession ending with the words. "Please don't think it was easy, my teammates and I strained every sinew all afternoon and eventually delivered NI greatest result"

Yes I think his respect was complete.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 26, 2020, 07:35:45 AM
Well said Captain:
Blanchflower also told this story and related it as if it was all his own idea. NI were playing England in an important match at Wembley.
"I knew if we were to have any chance of winning we had to stop Johnny Haynes. Haynes was England setting up the majority of their chances".
The then goes into a deep analysis on how they set up to deny Johnny the ball or frustrate him when he did have possession ending with the words. "Please don't think it was easy, my teammates and I strained every sinew all afternoon and eventually delivered NI greatest result"

Morning Fernhurst. Thanks for taking the trouble with this posting. Been looking on eBay for Danny's book.  When, at international level, our player was the man dictating play, to me this says it all. He the main man in the team's thinking.   

filham

Well said Captain:

That is a great quote and perhaps it should be on display at the foot of the Haynes statue at the Cottage. It really brings hme to the younger fan what a great player we had in Haynes.

Fernhurst

Quote from: bog on April 26, 2020, 09:17:33 AM
Well said Captain:

Morning Fernhurst. Thanks for taking the trouble with this posting. Been looking on eBay for Danny's book.  When, at international level, our player was the man dictating play, to me this says it all. He the main man in the team's thinking.   

Morning Captain Sir,
I no longer have the book, lost in.the midst of time otherwise would have gladly let you have it.
All quotes and recollections from the dusty drawers of my memory.
Thinking back this morning I seem to remember it was an Annual size book so it may have been a chapter in a different publication, however the story is so powerful to remain in my bonce 60 years on. It may well have been because it was such a complimentary article it made me feel so proud of Johnny and my team, who as you say received very little positive coverage (what's changed!). Danny was so proud of the performance and result I'm sure it must feature in his official autobiography.
COYLW  049:gif
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 26, 2020, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: bog on April 26, 2020, 09:17:33 AM
Well said Captain:

Morning Captain Sir,
I no longer have the book, lost in.the midst of time otherwise would have gladly let you have it.
All quotes and recollections from the dusty drawers of my memory.
Thinking back this morning I seem to remember it was an Annual size book so it may have been a chapter in a different publication, however the story is so powerful to remain in my bonce 60 years on. It may well have been because it was such a complimentary article it made me feel so proud of Johnny and my team, who as you say received very little positive coverage (what's changed!). Danny was so proud of the performance and result I'm sure it must feature in his official autobiography.
COYLW  049:gif

Funny how many snippets stay in the back of our minds. Thanks for your trouble Fernhurst, mind you, and I surprised? No.  :54:

092.gif