watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Not impressed.

Started by bog, April 24, 2020, 10:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

In the Mail this week 'they' have been showing those associated with the sports section their best ever line ups. Some phenomenal names were recalled and I was especially glad to see Puskas an Hideghuti remembered. I was a little miffed with David Pleat however when put Danny Blanchflower in in front of a certain Johnny Haynes. I know these are all a matter of personal opinion but I just cannot see that.

092.gif   

filham

Quote from: bog on April 24, 2020, 10:48:59 AM
In the Mail this week 'they' have been showing those associated with the sports section their best ever line ups. Some phenomenal names were recalled and I was especially glad to see Puskas an Hideghuti remembered. I was a little miffed with David Pleat however when put Danny Blanchflower in in front of a certain Johnny Haynes. I know these are all a matter of personal opinion but I just cannot see that.

092.gif   
Obviously down to Spurs bias.
Danny Blanchflower was a very nice footballer and an even better talker and I have recently been told by someone that new him that he was a real lady's man. However when it came to football make no mistake Haynes was well ahead.

Fernhurst

Agreed Captain........ definitely Spurs bias and I was lucky enough to see both play. 

If, whoever compiled the story read what Blanchflower said about Haynes in his autobiography then they would have been left in no doubt.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 24, 2020, 01:11:31 PM
Agreed Captain........ definitely Spurs bias and I was lucky enough to see both play. 

If, whoever compiled the story read what Blanchflower said about Haynes in his autobiography then they would have been left in no doubt.

That's one book I had not heard of Fernhurst. Will be looking out for that. Always very sharp witted and forward thinking I recall Danny having a sad ending to his life. 

OldBrownShoe

Oh dear Fulham bruvver, please don't read the Daily Fail. I hate that paper, their views and Spuds with a passion and what their sport's writers know about football isn't worth knowing. 049:gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

jarv

Blanchflower was good, I saw him play, but not a patch on JH. Nobody was.  Frankly, I thought the Scot, John White was a better player than Blanchflower for spuds.

bobbo

But johnny Haynes is rarely recognised as one of the greats from the past.

It's painful for us Fulham fans. I bet there's many around don't even know he was England captain for the 1962 World Cup campaign.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bog

This lack of recognition, as annoying as it is, will go on and on because he played for a 'smaller' club. Jimmy Greaves often said that Johnny was a better player that Bobby Charlton...and Pele said he was the best passer of a ball he had ever seen. 

092.gif

Twig

What do you expect of a rag like the Mail?

ron

Quote from: Twig on April 24, 2020, 10:03:55 PM

Softness and absorbency!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bog on April 24, 2020, 10:48:59 AM

092.gif   

Yes I also read that in the Daily Mail yesterday, as I read the mail everyday and I thought the same, as you say it is all a matter of opinion but for me Johnny Haynes was on a different level to the likes of Danny Blanchflower who was a wonderful player himself. That's why Spurs wanted to sign Johnny Haynes as well as George Cohen to accompany Alan Mullery to White Hart Lane. It is probably impossible to pick the best 11 out of so many quality players, as is proven by so may great players not being given a mention by anyone. Then again if you played for a fashionable club you don't have be as good to get a mention. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Peabody

Firstly, they both played in different positions. Johnny was an traditional inside left and Danny was a right half. Secondly, they both had exceptional skills but thirdly, Johnny's skills were always more match changing. Have to agree with OBS tho bog, why read the Daily Fail? It's Donald Trump in print!!!

bog

With my daughter we saw one of our few wins last season, home to Everton. I met up with an old work mate of mine whose Dad used to play in goal for them in the 1950's. Jimmy O'Neil. Anyway we were stood by the Johnny Haynes statue as a very elderly Toffees supporter came and stood looking up at Johnny.  He said to his fellow fans 'He was the greatest ever footballer I saw.' before having his photo taken stood looking up. Then he tapped the base and said. 'Yes the very best.' 

As for reading the Daily Fail, I bypass the political opinion in all papers as I cannot be arsed with it all. I have a voice and offer my opinions and tick my box at elections but who cares? Now in my twilight years I have other things I wish to do. Like reading good books and looking after my family as best I can. So, first the letters page, as this gives me a view of what the 'ordinary people' think of what is going on, you know those who keep the country going despite all the nonsense, then the rest of 'it'.

092.gif         

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Peabody on April 25, 2020, 06:57:15 AM
Firstly, they both played in different positions. Johnny was an traditional inside left and Danny was a right half. Secondly, they both had exceptional skills but thirdly, Johnny's skills were always more match changing. Have to agree with OBS tho bog, why read the Daily Fail? It's Donald Trump in print!!!

That's why myself and millions read it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ffcne

Says a Guardian reader i presume. 

Peabody

Quote from: bog on April 25, 2020, 09:45:57 AM
With my daughter we saw one of our few wins last season, home to Everton. I met up with an old work mate of mine whose Dad used to play in goal for them in the 1950's. Jimmy O'Neil. Anyway we were stood by the Johnny Haynes statue as a very elderly Toffees supporter came and stood looking up at Johnny.  He said to his fellow fans 'He was the greatest ever footballer I saw.' before having his photo taken stood looking up. Then he tapped the base and said. 'Yes the very best.' 

As for reading the Daily Fail, I bypass the political opinion in all papers as I cannot be arsed with it all. I have a voice and offer my opinions and tick my box at elections but who cares? Now in my twilight years I have other things I wish to do. Like reading good books and looking after my family as best I can. So, first the letters page, as this gives me a view of what the 'ordinary people' think of what is going on, you know those who keep the country going despite all the nonsense, then the rest of 'it'.

I haven't been sent back to the ranks have I Captain?

bog

Quote from: Peabody on April 25, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
Quote from: bog on April 25, 2020, 09:45:57 AM

I haven't been sent back to the ranks have I Captain?

Never Peabody!! Old Sod's Army are for ever of a common bond!  049:gif 082.gif

092.gif

Fernhurst

Captain, my old Dad was a lifelong Labour supporter but during his retirement read the Daily Mail. On a visit one day I expressed my surprise and he replied "it's the only paper to have more than six pages and it has to last me all day"
My old dad, like me had seen enough and lived through enough to sift through or ignore the right wing rhetoric.
Rock on Captain 
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Peabody

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 25, 2020, 12:18:29 PM
Captain, my old Dad was a lifelong Labour supporter but during his retirement read the Daily Mail. On a visit one day I expressed my surprise and he replied "it's the only paper to have more than six pages and it has to last me all day"
My old dad, like me had seen enough and lived through enough to sift through or ignore the right wing rhetoric.
Rock on Captain

Must admit I did get it. Back when I started work as an apprentice Letterpess Printer, The News Chronicle used to carry job adverts for printing jobs. When the Mail took over the Chronicle, they carried on showing the printing jobs. The only newspaper I occaisionly read now is the I and guess what? The bloody Mail took that over last year.

Twig

Quote from: ffcne on April 25, 2020, 11:45:53 AM

Says a Guardian reader i presume. 

Why would you assume that?  I prefer a paper that reports facts without excessive bias and bigotry so neither suit me.