watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday evening music

Started by WhiteJC, April 24, 2020, 07:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karldutton

Was listening yesterday 1h straight, Will defo never get bored of this.

RaySmith

More Duets

Steve Earle and Emmmylou Harris

Christie Moore and Shane MacGowan

David Gilmour and John Martyn 

Barrett487

Just because they're so good

Barrett487

And the saddest song i know, but an epic Free track. Great flute playing!

HairyWombat

Quote from: bobbo on October 09, 2020, 09:48:33 PM
Wombat you must be in OZ , where?
I normally get down there twice a year sometime more often.
I've a daughter I sydney
Yep Bobbo. But on the other side of the place to your daughter.
Thankfully in Covid free Perth.
Living pretty much a normal life apart from a blanket ban on non-essential overseas or interstate travel.
Our "hard border" is still in effect and will stay that way for at least the next 2 months.
Your daughter would be having a much harder time of it. It has been a bit of a mish-mash on the Eastern seaboard.
And I know it is not Friday night but one last Angelina performance for you. :HD:

BTW: I keep typing your name as Boobo (for some reason) so please don't be offended if I miss correcting it on occasion!

bobbo

no probs mate ive been called a lot worse than that . keep the music coming .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

WhiteJC

having just listened to RaySmith's excellent recommendation of Steve Earle and Emmylou's duet reminded me of one of my favourite , though very different, songs...

spikey norman

If any of you are into rock you may enjoy Paul Anka's 'Rock Swings'  and anything by Hayseed Dixie.

RaySmith

Copperhead Road is a briliant song White JC, tells  a real story, there's  so much in it - and a great, passionate performance by Steve , of course. Great choice.

I was   recently reminded of Steve's  book of his outstanding short stories, Doghouse Roses , about the  types of characters who inhabit his songs - brilliant writing, with all Steve's  usual empathy and compassion for the underdog.
His novel is pretty good too - I'll Never Get out of This World Alive.

And that's alongside all his great records and performances.

Holders

Spancil Hill, thank you Ray. I went there once...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

HairyWombat

Lets get things moving. New round of footy and we are up and about again.

Gravelly Doug:

Sassy Morgan:

And sorry again to bore you with my fixation, but here is the sublime Angelina. The music starts at roughly 1.30 if Rosie is not your thing. The ending is quite sweet.

RaySmith

Quote from: Holders on October 11, 2020, 07:35:30 PM

Cheers, Holders,  seems an iconic place.

Dodgin

LeAnn quite the rocker, like this version.

blingo

Dave Brubeck .....The Essential.

Dodgin

How about this track Blingo

WhiteJC

Kings of Leon - sex on fire

the Police - invisible sun

Mike + the Mechanics - the Living years

Holders

Quote from: RaySmith on October 16, 2020, 09:19:29 AM
Quote from: Holders on October 11, 2020, 07:35:30 PM

Cheers, Holders,  seems an iconic place.

There's not much to it, just a crossroads and a pub. Mind you, it was raining at the time which didn't help, so I didn't go up the hill itself. Perhaps I should have. Next time, maybe.

I have an Irish friend who has quite the best male singing voice that I've heard. We were down the pub one session night with his new girlfriend and he got his guitar out and sang Spancil Hill. Part way in, she started laughing uncontrollably. At the end she said that she loved the song but found the title hilarious. He never sang it again.

But he did sing this (for her) superbly (better than Christy Moore, dare I say?):

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

I was in Kilkenny just over  a year ago, to see Neil Young and Bob Dylan. After the concert the pubs were full of Gaelic football fans, and there was live music - great atmosphere. Previously in Dublin a bloke sold me a poem in a pub.
Love Christie's music, the magic a select few  can achieve with just their own voice and a guitar - Neil Young and Bob Dylan, two more btw-

Christie's covers of trad and modern songs are great, as well as his own material. Here, of Pink Floyd's  tribute to late ex-bandmate, Sid Barrett, Shine on You Crazy Diamond-

With the great Sinead O' Connor

I saw Bob Marley in 1980/1, at the Crystal Palace Bowl shortly before he died, and he played this, a  favourite song, that  is relevant to  what's going on at moment  as reported on the FFC website, Black History Month

https://youtu.be/Md8EesTaIsA

somerset cockernee

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope