Dodgin

Think we may have done this before.                     

Mince n Tatties

"Someone like You"...Van the Man.

e4b

e4b

kiwian

Quote from: whitejc on February 25, 2022, 10:03:00 AM
Steely Dan are my favourite band, so to join in with bobbo...

dirty work

kings

do it again

Mine too.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

bobbo

Steely Dan are the ultimate perfectionists , well they were when Walter Becker was there but I would think Donald fagan wouldn't be settling for anything less.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Holders

Quote from: e4b on February 18, 2022, 03:21:30 PM
Quote from: deadcowboys on February 18, 2022, 02:12:32 PM
Quote from: e4b on February 18, 2022, 02:00:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6rBK0BqL2w

Truly dreadful. Sounds like a cat needing to be put out of its misery.
Glad you enjoyed it. Purrrrfect response.

Truly amazing!

Apart from the sheer skill, it takes an outstanding musical ear and talent to transcribe something like that for an instrument so different.

I thought I could hear shades of Vivaldi coming through in the Beethoven but here she is with that as well:

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

BestOfBrede

Very good attempt by the young lady, but not smooth.
It was definitely for violin but great attempt as said.

Holders

Quote from: BestOfBrede on February 26, 2022, 09:34:51 PM
Very good attempt by the young lady, but not smooth.
It was definitely for violin but great attempt as said.

I agree the Beethoven was better than the Vivaldi but different instruments impart different effects and there's no smoother instrument than the fiddle. Just to transpose it and interpret it like that is amazing. Reminds me of Martin Hayes' superb Pachebel on Irish fiddle which I linked many pages back. It's interesting to hear music on the "wrong" instruments - and often much harder to play.

e4b

Thanks Holders.It was just my attempt to show there are so many types of music. Classical is the root of a lot of todays "pop " music.You might be surprised to learn how many rock musicians of the 60s70sand 80s had classical training.

Holders

Quote from: e4b on February 27, 2022, 09:38:25 AM
Thanks Holders.It was just my attempt to show there are so many types of music. Classical is the root of a lot of todays "pop " music.You might be surprised to learn how many rock musicians of the 60s70sand 80s had classical training.

You can certainly hear that from the best of them as opposed to those just created and packaged for marketability. The best musicians can turn their hands to most genres.

I'd be interested in any similar examples that you have.

e4b

Thanks Holders Think i put up 2 cellos a while ago but here is their version of thunderstruck. Two brilliant cellists having fun. I will be away for a couple of weeks but will try and find some more when i get back. Bet you cant wait. :005:

Holders

Thanks, Mr Earle.

Never heard of Thunderstruck but loved it - and can't wait!

Best I could think of was the Bad Shepherds - punk tunes played on folk instruments. The pipe player (Maartin Alcock) is seriously mean in his own right.

Holders

A day early, I know, but I have to drive upcountry tomorrow as my daughter, Laura (a Fulham fan since babyhood) is getting wed on Saturday.

So here's a happy tune from the Chieftains, the best band that I never saw:

Holders

Thanks, Whitejc, much appreciated.

blingo

Post modern jukebox, All about the base.

RaySmith

Holders post is from one of my favourite records - Irish Heartbeat by Van and the Chieftains.

Love this version of Carrickfergus from that record - The Chieftains and Van's voice go together so well, and really evoke the powerful  emotion of this great song-

WindyCity

Gonna need some help here.  I just started listening to Greta Van Fleet and think they are outstanding!  I'm big Zep fan, and this band, and lead singer, are spot on in channeling Led Zeppelin. 

If there are any music videos of them, please post.  I don't know how to do that.  Thanks in advance.

Fulham 442

Quote from: kiwian on February 25, 2022, 10:19:18 PM
Quote from: whitejc on February 25, 2022, 10:03:00 AM
Steely Dan are my favourite band, so to join in with bobbo...

dirty work

kings

do it again

Mine too.

Fabulous me too, also love  the Doobie Brothers

WhiteJC

Quote from: Fulham 442 on March 03, 2022, 06:11:32 PM

Fabulous me too, also love  the Doobie Brothers

Michael McDonald & Jeff "Skunk" Baxter played in both Steely Dan and the Doobies